Posted to rec.audio.tech
Martino Martino is offline

Default Advice on Low Cost System

I am planning to buy a low-cost hifi or home-theater system.
I will use it for music (80% ) and movies (20%).
I already have a Phillips DVD player.
I will connect to the system the DVD player (used for CD too) and an
IPOD
My budget is 400/500 Euro

I have identified some entry-level HT systems (Onikio, Yamaha or
Kenwood systems) that fit my budget.
But maybe an hi-fi would be better, for music.

Do I need 5+1 channels?
Or 2 +subwoofer are better?
HT or traditional HI-FI or HT amplified with 2+subwoofers?
Best solutions? Manufacturs?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Martino, Genova, Italy

Posted to rec.audio.tech
bob bob is offline

I am planning to buy a low-cost hifi or home-theater system.
I will use it for music (80% ) and movies (20%).
I already have a Phillips DVD player.
I will connect to the system the DVD player (used for CD too) and an
IPOD
My budget is 400/500 Euro

I have identified some entry-level HT systems (Onikio, Yamaha or
Kenwood systems) that fit my budget.
But maybe an hi-fi would be better, for music.

Do I need 5+1 channels?
Or 2 +subwoofer are better?
HT or traditional HI-FI or HT amplified with 2+subwoofers?
Best solutions? Manufacturs?

500 euros (that's about $650 on my side of the pond) isn't much for a
home theater system. I'd settle for 2 channels. Buy an entry-level
receiver or integrated amplifier, and put the rest of your money into
the best-sounding pair of speakers you can afford. You won't get earth-
shaking bass, but you'll definitely prefer it musicially to those HT
packages.

bob