tractorboy

Default advice on sound cards/speakers

I want to record music on my computer. Can anyone recommend a decent
sound card and speakers to use?

Current computer specs:
advent3212
2400+amd athlon processor
windows xp
512mb ddr
ati/9000/128mb ddr
sound card avance ac97
softwa Cakewalk home studio

thanks

p.s.
maybe advice from someone in England would be of help.

Laurence Payne

On 6 Aug 2005 11:27:55 -0700, "tractorboy"
wrote:

I want to record music on my computer. Can anyone recommend a decent
sound card and speakers to use?

Current computer specs:
advent3212
2400+amd athlon processor
windows xp
512mb ddr
ati/9000/128mb ddr
sound card avance ac97
softwa Cakewalk home studio

thanks

p.s.
maybe advice from someone in England would be of help.

Your on-board sound system will work pretty well if you just want
simple recording and playback. Feed its Line In with a suitable
signal. (Forget about the Mic input, it's crap). If you are
interested in music, I expect you already have a hi-fi system. Feed
Line Out of the computer to Aux In, Tape In on that. It will probably
be better than anything sold as a "computer speaker".

If you want to get into multi-track recording and music production,
the sky's the limit! But you'll have to give us an idea of just what
you want to do. Will you create music by recording live instruments
and synthesizers? One track at a time, or multiple players? Or will
you be making a montage of pre-recorded loops and samples?
Tim Martin

"tractorboy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to record music on my computer. Can anyone recommend a decent
sound card and speakers to use?

p.s.
maybe advice from someone in England would be of help.

Well, I'm in England.

I take it you mean you want to record music as it is being produced by
musicians.

There are two basic methods; one is to have the musicians perform as if
live, and record the result.

The other is to have each musician perform individually, and build up the
recording one take at a time.

If you're going to record live, you need to decide whether to record each
component on a separate track, or whether you are going to record to a
stereo track. If you are recording to a stereo track, you need to decide if
you are going to use a pair of stereo microphones, or multiple microphones
and other sources and mix them to a stereop track. (I suppose it's possible
you may need no microphones at all, depending on the sound sources.)

Anyway, depending on the number of tracks you want to record at once, you
either need a two-channel sound card or you may need multi-channel sound
cards.

You also have to decide whether yo use an interal soudns card, or external
USB/Firewire.

Personally, I have found 24-bit recording more convenient than 16-bit
recording.

Where in England are you? If you're looking for suppliers, Digital Village
has a number of stores

www.digitalvillage.co.uk

There's also GAK in Brighton ( www.gak.co.uk )

You might look at something like an M-audio Audiophile 2496 for 2-channel
recording (I've not used one ... I have a Soundblaster Audigy NX USB, which
seems OK to me), together with a mixing desk, a pair of microphones, and a
pair of microphone stands. Don't forget leads and headphones.

You don't need any outboard hardware, you can do it all with software.

As for speakers - use whatever you've got, and check the results with decent
headphones.

You can generally find the lowest price points by looking at Behringer
products. If I were looking for low-cost recording microphones, I think I'd
check out the Behringer
C2 when they become available. I have an AKG C1000S which produces good
results, but the Behringers are a fraction of the price (£40 a pair instead
of £100 each!) And there aren't many manufacturers who make the active
elements.
..
Tim