chuck clark

Default Advice on installing an office ceiling speaker system

Hi,
I am in charge of installing a ceiling speaker and music
system in a friend's doctor office. It does not be to be
a crazy audiophile system at all. Just some crappy
speakers and an amp.
He wants 6 speakers in 6 areas. This is going to be a
mono setup, i assume. Two speakers over the waiting room.
One speaker in the receptionist area. One speaker
in each (3) examining rooms.
Now all the walls are finished, so I am only going to install
the speakers in the ceiling tiles and run speaker wire to a
closet.
My first question is what kind of wiring should I get for
ceilings? ie non-flammable.

Now since the walls are finished, there is not an option
for a volume control in each area. So I need a way of
controlling the volume in 5 areas, the waiting room's
two speakers can be controlled together. I think
the best setup will be to control the volume from
the closet.

What is the best way of controlling the volume for these
areas? either an amp with 5 volume controls or another
device from the amp to the speakers?

The amp is going to be in a small closet along with a
server computer. I don't imagine heat will be a problem
but just in case, what should I look for in an amp.

I was thinking of speakers like this ebay auction. Any
opinions?

or
http://tinyurl.com/3blqe

thanks so much for your help!
chuck
Richard Crowley

"chuck clark" wrote ...
I am in charge of installing a ceiling speaker and music
system in a friend's doctor office. It does not be to be
a crazy audiophile system at all. Just some crappy
speakers and an amp.
He wants 6 speakers in 6 areas. This is going to be a
mono setup, i assume. Two speakers over the waiting room.
One speaker in the receptionist area. One speaker
in each (3) examining rooms.

Sounds like 6 speakers and *5* areas.

Now all the walls are finished, so I am only going to install
the speakers in the ceiling tiles and run speaker wire to a
closet.
My first question is what kind of wiring should I get for
ceilings? ie non-flammable.

I'd certainly use EXCLUSIVELY "plenum-rated" wiring in
the ceiling space of any commercial building. Else you could
get into big trouble with electrical and/or fire inspectors,
insurance, etc. etc.

Now since the walls are finished, there is not an option
for a volume control in each area.

Sure it is an option. Installers do this every day. Ever
seen those long, flexible drills they sell, even in the home
improvement stores?

So I need a way of controlling the volume in 5 areas, the
waiting room's two speakers can be controlled together.
I think the best setup will be to control the volume from
the closet.

That may be preferable just to reserve access to the controls.

What is the best way of controlling the volume for these
areas? either an amp with 5 volume controls or another
device from the amp to the speakers?

Most common way of doing this (IME) is to use 25-volt
or 70-volt distribution. Get a single amplifier with 25v
and/or 70v output tap and use transformers for each area.
For example, Radio Shack # 32-2054 (Radio Shack examples
are used to show that 70v distribution is available even in
the "lowest common denominator" sources :-)

The transformers can be tapped to control how much of
the available power they are allocated.

Then use L-pads between the transformer secondaries and
the speaker voice coil inputs. There are also tapped transformer
controls that are more reliable than the L-pads and combine
the transformer and volume control functions.

Radio Shack used to sell L-pads and 70v transformers.
Maybe they still do, but you can't tell by trying to search for
them on their website. It has gone all goofy again.

The amp is going to be in a small closet along with a
server computer. I don't imagine heat will be a problem
but just in case, what should I look for in an amp.

I was thinking of speakers like this ebay auction. Any
opinions?

or
http://tinyurl.com/3blqe

Seems remarkably overpriced to me. I thought you said:
"not be to be a crazy audiophile system "? I haven't
installed a system like this in several years, but I would
expect prices that are a fraction (50%) of these prices.
(For example: Radio Shack # 40-4096 which still seems
overpriced to me at 1/2 that price, each.)

chuck clark

Thanks Richard, This certainly helps!!

chuck clark

Thanks Richard, This certainly helps!!

chuck clark

Thanks Richard, This certainly helps!!

Mark

In article ,
says...
Hi,
I am in charge of installing a ceiling speaker and music
system in a friend's doctor office.

As Richard indicated, this needs to be a 70V system, NOT 8
Ohm.

He wants 6 speakers in 6 areas. This is going to be a
mono setup, i assume.

Commercial applications almost always are.

Now all the walls are finished, so I am only going to install
the speakers in the ceiling tiles and run speaker wire to a
closet.

You Must use tile bridges for the speakers, or you'll have
ugly sags inside of a year. There's also no reason you
can't put a volume control in each room, unless the walls
are block.

My first question is what kind of wiring should I get for
ceilings? ie non-flammable.

If it's a plenum ceiling, then plenum-rated cable. If not,
then any quality jacketed cable is adequate (NOT zip-cord).
16 or 18 gauge two conductor stranded.

Now since the walls are finished, there is not an option
for a volume control in each area.

Sure there is, as long as it isn't block (and even that Can
be done, it's just more money and time).

I think
the best setup will be to control the volume from
the closet.

You can if you want, admittedly less work, but also less
functionality.

What is the best way of controlling the volume for these
areas?

You want to use an amp with 70V output, 70V stepped
attenuators (volume controls), and speakers with 70V
transformers, tapped at 1 W.

--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Your perception may be different.

Triple Z is spam control.

Owain

chuck clark wrote
I am in charge of installing a ceiling speaker and music
system in a friend's doctor office. ... One speaker
in each (3) examining rooms.

I don't know why speakers are required in consulting rooms; if they
are installed you should make provision for local muting otherwise
background music may cause problems for people with a hearing
impairment. You should check any disability discrimination legislation
on this topic.

Now all the walls are finished, so I am only going to install
the speakers in the ceiling tiles and run speaker wire to a
closet.
My first question is what kind of wiring should I get for
ceilings? ie non-flammable.

Probably wise, and possibly mandatory. What may also be required is
fire stop domes over the speakers, so that fire cannot break through
into the ceiling void.

Now since the walls are finished, there is not an option
for a volume control in each area. So I need a way of
controlling the volume in 5 areas, the waiting room's
two speakers can be controlled together. I think
the best setup will be to control the volume from
the closet.

You should not need to control the volume to each speaker individually
at the time of installation. If you use correctly sized speakers and
transformer tappings for each area, that should be enough to get an
even volume level in all areas. However if you do need to, you can get
ceiling speakers with a volume control preset adjustable from the room
using a screwdriver through a hole in the grille.

You could use pull cord switches to provide local muting, or simply
drop a length of plastic surface mini-trunking.

What is the best way of controlling the volume for these
areas? either an amp with 5 volume controls or another
device from the amp to the speakers?

transformer tappings on a 100V line system.

Owain

Bob Urz

Mark wrote:
[...]

NO NO NO! Just because it NOT a plenum ceiling does NOT mean you
can use any cable. It still has to be a code rated wire with a listed
jacket. Such as CL2, CL3, CM,. It could have a R or a p suffix.
There are many varieties of code rated cable you can run without
conduit. It depends on the application.

Now since the walls are finished, there is not an option
for a volume control in each area.

A low voltage wall plate, a dry wall saw, and a rod to poke up
into the lift out ceiling is all that's needed. You may or may not
have to cut the sill plate at the top for wire access.

Sure there is, as long as it isn't block (and even that Can
be done, it's just more money and time).

I think
the best setup will be to control the volume from
the closet.

You can if you want, admittedly less work, but also less
functionality.

What is the best way of controlling the volume for these
areas?

You want to use an amp with 70V output, 70V stepped
attenuators (volume controls), and speakers with 70V
transformers, tapped at 1 W.

The one issue NO ONE has brought up is music rights. You cannot
put a radio through a commercial 70 volt system in the US without
paying royalties to ASCAP and such. If the ascap rep comes and makes
a tape, your busted. Now, this does not happen often, but technically
your in violation if you do it. This goes for tapes or CD's too unless
there the commercial versions that the rights are paid for on a
subscription basis.

Bob

Bob Urz

Mark wrote:
[...]

Bose 901 Review William Sommerwerck General 149 January 8th 05 04:49 PM
need advice installing front door speakers in a 97 honda civic frank johnson Car Audio 2 June 21st 04 06:16 AM
Old speaker boxes Jebus Tech 270 June 4th 04 01:42 AM
Need advice: On the way to build the Dream System Naeem Car Audio 20 October 25th 03 06:16 AM
The Fisher XP-7 Speaker System, $119 pr. (PIC) Ken Drescher Marketplace 1 July 4th 03 06:57 AM