Arny Krueger

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
news:znr1121389890k@trad

Got a disk drive on your Yamaha console?

None that I've seen. I suspect it boots from EPROM.

And a way to connect a keyboard and monitor?

Studio Manager via USB. ;-)

And do you keep a DOS bootable floppy in your audio

toolkit?

There's no distinction between my audio toolkit and my
computer toolkit.

Jonathan Peirce

TD-20 does...
JP

In article , Arny Krueger
wrote:

I am highly disappointed that the Roland TD-10 and TD-7 lack
proper digital audio signal outputs like SP/DIF or AES3.

"I'd sell my soul for a Formula 1 racing car" - Bart Simpson
Arny Krueger

"Jonathan Peirce" wrote in
message

In article , Arny

Krueger
wrote:

I am highly disappointed that the Roland TD-10 and TD-7

lack
proper digital audio signal outputs like SP/DIF or AES3.

TD-20 does...

Interesting.

For the price... ;-)

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:49:37 GMT

On 2005-07-15
said:
So what do you do if your Yamaha computer doesn't boot?

As long as its in warranty, take it to the warranty station.

Nobody's really worried about what hapens while the thing's in
warranty. IT's four or five years down the line. I've got electronic
stuff around here which when it crumbles and breaks is just more junk
for a landfill because you can't get parts. Planned obsolescence is
the order of the day with a lot of this stuff it seems. Example,
monitors for computers years ago had detachable cables. NOw the
monitor most often comes with the cable firmly attached at the monitor
end. IF it gets abused in transit you've got a monitor that doesn't
display anything and unless one's handy with a soldering iron oneself
taking it to these so-called computer repair shops nets you some funny
looks and a response like "we don't fix that."
AT a few kilobucks spent I want to be assured I can get parts five
years down the line when it's not in warranty.

Richard Webb,
Electric SPider Productions, New Orleans, La.
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--

agood captain is one who is hoisting his first drink in a
bar when the storm hits.
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message...

There's no distinction between my audio toolkit and my
computer toolkit.

That's a shame. ;-)

DM

Pooh Bear

Phildo wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
I have ZERO PROBLEM working in the digital domain. I just hope ppl will
wake up to the fact that's it's simply not everything the marketing ppl
crank it up to be.

In short, digital isn't *best* !

Not always but in terms of flexibility and features for the end user it is
the vast majority of times.

You sound like the old vinyl junkies who insisted CD would be gone in a
couple of years.

Which part of " I have ZERO PROBLEM working in the digital domain " do I need
to explain ?

I'm simply pointing out that digital isn't and indeed never will be the total
perfection that the marketing clowns would like to present it as.

Graham

Phil Allison

" Graham Stevenon" = Studiomaster's Worst Enemy.

Which part of " I have ZERO PROBLEM working in the digital domain " do I
need
to explain ?

** Believing it is THE problem - DICKHEAD !!!

YOU have amply demonstrated a * COMPLETE * miscomprehension of digital
audio.

Analogue too for that matter.

............. Phil

Mike Engles

shannon wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Forty Winks wrote:

I don't understand why a D5 couldn't have been used for the broadcast as
well. If the desk being used for OB had been loaded with the FOH mix, all
gains eq's and dynamics etc would have been in place and the engineer would
have been a lot closer from the word go.

Because the broadcast mix often bears no resemblance to the FOH mix. In
a stadium concert, it's a lot less different than in a small club, but
even so it's usually a very different philosophy.

Now, if the remote truck crew had done a run-through and saved a mix (either
on a memory stick or with a pencil and clipboard), things might have been
better off. But there's never any time or money for that.
--scott

Probably several of the acts did get their mixes saved on the BBC remote
truck SSLs, they are total recall.

Hello

Only if you have something to recall!
Also a recall takes over 20 mins for 48 channels.You have to null every
knob by hand. You have to go by whatever sound check you can get and
just use a fader reset if you managed to have any kind of sound check to
even memorise a fader position. Usually it is a mark on the fader
legend.
In essence you are broadcasting the soundcheck. You are lucky if you can
get a decent sound in 2 mins. Sometimes a band will do a long intro for
the first song, so that you can get a sound and level check.
The whole thing builds up as the day progresses.

Mike Engles
Mike Engles

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Tim S Kemp wrote:
shannon wrote:
SSL

drool

Having had to use the SSL5000 broadcast desks before.... there is nothing
there to drool over. There is a lot more to bang your head on the desk
over.

Has SSL even made any broadcast consoles since then?

Hello

They used a 48 channel J series 9000 and a 40 channel E series with
enough extra mixers to take 64 inputs.

Mike Engles
Gavin Ramsay

Pooh Bear wrote:

I regret that over-use of samples has led to an increasing banality in music.

I regret that the over-use of accountants has led to an increasing
banality in music.

Gavin

Pooh Bear

Gavin Ramsay wrote:

Pooh Bear wrote:

I regret that over-use of samples has led to an increasing banality in music.

I regret that the over-use of accountants has led to an increasing
banality in music.

That too. Don't the accountants double as A&R guys too ?

Graham