Posted to rec.audio.car
Antispammer Antispammer is offline

Default Subwoofer Wiring questions

I have 2 units of subs DVC(2ohm) + 1ohm stable monoblock

Anyway to wire them together to 1ohm? As I can only find diagrams to wire
them to either 8ohm or 2ohm.

Btw, what will happen if I wire a single sub to 0.5ohm ? Fire?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Antispammer wrote:
I have 2 units of subs DVC(2ohm) + 1ohm stable monoblock

Anyway to wire them together to 1ohm? As I can only find diagrams to wire
them to either 8ohm or 2ohm.

Btw, what will happen if I wire a single sub to 0.5ohm ? Fire?

You can't wire a single sub to 0.5 ohm.

If you wire them both as 2 ohm (I'm assuming each coil is 4 ohm) by
wiring the coils in parallel, then wire the two drivers in parallel with
each other, you'll end up with 1 ohm total.

I'd suggest boning up on Ohm's Law. Start at http://www.bcae1.com/
Posted to rec.audio.car
Antispammer Antispammer is offline

thanks.

found this

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...l+-+2+ohms+x+2

anyone knows what will happen if i wire the the subs to 0.5 ohm while my amp
is rated only at 1 ohm stable?

subs + amp toasted?

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
Antispammer wrote:
I have 2 units of subs DVC(2ohm) + 1ohm stable monoblock

Anyway to wire them together to 1ohm? As I can only find diagrams to wire
them to either 8ohm or 2ohm.

Btw, what will happen if I wire a single sub to 0.5ohm ? Fire?

You can't wire a single sub to 0.5 ohm.

If you wire them both as 2 ohm (I'm assuming each coil is 4 ohm) by wiring
the coils in parallel, then wire the two drivers in parallel with each
other, you'll end up with 1 ohm total.

I'd suggest boning up on Ohm's Law. Start at http://www.bcae1.com/

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

looks like he has 2 ohm DVC's, in which case the diagrams he found are
correct, you can only wire those subs to .5, 2, or 8 ohms. no way to
get to 1 ohm using both. .5 ohm might not work with your amp (might go
into overload protect or just die), and neither 2 nor 8 ohms optimize
it's performance. either get different subs (preferably some 4 ohm
DVC's this time) or get a 2 ohm optimized monoblock.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Antispammer wrote:
thanks.

found this

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...l+-+2+ohms+x+2

anyone knows what will happen if i wire the the subs to 0.5 ohm while my amp
is rated only at 1 ohm stable?

subs + amp toasted?

If the coils are each rated at four ohms, there is no way to wire two
DVC subs to 0.5 ohms.

It would help to actually know what model subs these are.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Antispammer Antispammer is offline

thanks for the help.

it's 2x RE XXX15 and a t20001bd.

the voice coils are 2ohm each.(2ohm DVC)

"KU40" wrote in message

looks like he has 2 ohm DVC's, in which case the diagrams he found are
correct, you can only wire those subs to .5, 2, or 8 ohms. no way to
get to 1 ohm using both. .5 ohm might not work with your amp (might go
into overload protect or just die), and neither 2 nor 8 ohms optimize
it's performance. either get different subs (preferably some 4 ohm
DVC's this time) or get a 2 ohm optimized monoblock.

--
KU40

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Antispammer wrote:
thanks for the help.

it's 2x RE XXX15 and a t20001bd.

the voice coils are 2ohm each.(2ohm DVC)

Right... so your wiring options are 0.5 ohms (all coils parallel), 2
ohms (series-parallel), or 8 ohms (all in series).

0.5 ohms is not recommended - your amp is going to be running close
enough to the edge at 1.

Outdoor Passive SubWoofer wiring mjn03 Tech 1 March 2nd 06 09:59 PM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM
Questions about wiring and impedance Joey Car Audio 1 November 15th 04 02:37 PM
Eight questions on subwoofer Jean Tech 60 January 19th 04 06:38 PM
Newbie Subwoofer questions OodlesoFun General 28 January 12th 04 05:51 PM