Jim Carr

"Porky" wrote in message

The point is that everyone hears the Doppler shift in a train whistle,

No, they don't. Everyone hears just a sound. The only way to know that the
sound is shifted is to compare it to the original unshifted sound either by
hearing it or deriving the shift mathematically by knowing the relative
motions and the source frequencies. There's no way the brain or the most
advanced mathematical models can look at a *single* sound and tell if it's
distorted.

but when comparing a "live" sound to it's replica being reproduced by a

very
accurate loudspeaker system, under the closest to ideal conditions

possible,

If
it were otherwise, we wouldn't be having this discussion! :-)

Sure we would. This has always been about theory, not application.

As to it being an esoteric discussion, it has certainly become one,

but
the original question was "Do speakers create Doppler distortion when
producing both a HF tone and an LF tone at the same time?",

Esoteric simply means limited to small group of people. That has always been
the case. Ask a thousand people if they care about the above question and
maybe one will say yes.

occur in a speaker, then there must a number of ways to minimize it,

Nobody has done it even though it has been "known" for decades. It would
require *every* speaker in the chain to be free of Doppler distortion. All
those guitar licks run through an amp and speaker are distorted to begin
with.

Paul Draper

"Jim Carr" wrote in message news:JWp8d.12173$mS1.9564@fed1read05...

What bothered me was that I could not (and still cannot) see how a speaker
really works. Yeh, I can describe the mechanics involved, but I still don't
fully understand the exact physics where the diaphragm creates the sound
wave. Is it at the start of the throw? The end? The middle? If it's in the
middle of a long throw for a loud low frequency, how does it make the higher
frequencies at the same time?

That's odd. I don't find this hard to imagine, slowing it down in my
mind. The highest speed of the diaphragm forward will result in the
highest "sweeping up" of air molecules, resulting in the highest local
density. In this mental image, then, the middle of the throw (for a
fundamental tone) would produce the peak of the oscillation in the
medium.

As far as the harmonics, simply remind yourself of the waveform of,
say, a flute note, as seen on an oscilloscope, periodic but not
sinusoidal. According to the above picture, that's the velocity
profile of the diaphragm.

This is perhaps why a square wave is hard to push through a speaker,
because it demands instantaneous accelerations of the diaphragm.

PD
Daydream Electric

"The Ghost" wrote in message
. 6...
"Daydream Electric" wrote in
:

Your abuse of the English language is disgusts me. When's the last
time you heard music performed inside a tube? Never? Exactly.

We all familiar what can happen (statistically speaking) if enough

typewriters are
put in the hands of enough monkeys.

"Your abuse of the English language IS disgusts me?" Right on, moron!
The topic of discussion involves a theoretically ideal situation of a
piston in a tube. Since you clearly have **** for brains, I don't expect
you to understand why that theoretically ideal situation is being
discussed. Nonetheless, why don't you do both of us a favor and simply

not
read my posts, you stupid idiot.

Actually, I had beer for brains that night. **** for brains most of the
time, though.

Bob Cain

zigoteau wrote:

Bob Cain wrote in message ...

Hi, Bob,

Just a minor correction.

Please notice the difference between what I wrote and what
Zigoteau wrote. His approach, a first order approximation
using a M-T power series, yields (using common symbols and
frames of reference):

Vp(d,t) = Vd(t - (d - Sd(t-d/c))/(c - Vd(t-d/c)))

Mine, which involves no approximation, yields:

Vp(d,t) = Vd(t - (d - Sd(t-d/c))/c)

I am sorry, Bob, but the second equation does involve an approximation.

I was afraid you were going to say something like that. :-)

From the logic I used to get it could you please show me
the trap I've fallen into? It goes as follows:

The fluid velocity (in units of distance/time) of a test
particle (a tiny, zero mass thing) located a distance d from
the driver face is given by

Vp(d,t) = Vd(t-d/c) 1)

Where Vd() is the velocity of the driver. The position of
the particle relative to its rest position is

Sp(d,t) = Sd(t-d/c) 2)

Where Sd() is the position of the driver relative to its
rest position.

What then is the velocity of a second test particle that is
located at the first particle's rest position? The distance
between the two test particles is Sp(d,t) so that the
velocity of the second particle should be given by

Vf(d,t) = Vp(d-Sp(d,t),t) 3)

Where the d on the LHS is the distance from the driver rest
position to the second particle and the d on the right hand
side is the distance from the driver face to the first
particle. These have the same value.

Substituting 1) into 3) gives

Vf(d,t) = Vd(t-(d-Sp(d,t))/c) 4)

Substituting 2) into 4) gives

Vf(d,t) = Vd(t-(d-Sd(t-d/c))/c) 5)

I'm afraid I can't see anything in that chain of logic that
makes 5) an approximate solution and would appreciate some
help with that if you are certain that it is approximate.

Thanks,

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Jim Carr

"Paul Draper" wrote in message
m...

That's odd. I don't find this hard to imagine, slowing it down in my
mind. The highest speed of the diaphragm forward will result in the
highest "sweeping up" of air molecules, resulting in the highest local
density. In this mental image, then, the middle of the throw (for a
fundamental tone) would produce the peak of the oscillation in the
medium.

Thanks for the feedback. Take me through a simple sine wave. It starts at
the zero line. It does a semicircle above the line an a semicircle below the
line. Describe for me the motion of the speaker in relation to that and at
what point the wave is created.

I will note that even though this is a contentious thread, I am making a
sincere request to help me envision this. Maybe I'm thinking too hard or
have some sort of mental block on this issue.

This is perhaps why a square wave is hard to push through a speaker,
because it demands instantaneous accelerations of the diaphragm.

I always though it was because most speakers are round! Nyuk!

Porky

"Jim Carr" wrote in message
"Paul Draper" wrote in message
m...

That's odd. I don't find this hard to imagine, slowing it down in my
mind. The highest speed of the diaphragm forward will result in the
highest "sweeping up" of air molecules, resulting in the highest local
density. In this mental image, then, the middle of the throw (for a
fundamental tone) would produce the peak of the oscillation in the
medium.

Thanks for the feedback. Take me through a simple sine wave. It starts at
the zero line. It does a semicircle above the line an a semicircle below

the
line. Describe for me the motion of the speaker in relation to that and at
what point the wave is created.

Actually it's an ellipse, not a semicircle, and that does make a difference.
The cone starts from zero at a fairly rapid rate of acceleration, and the
rate slows gradually until it reaches the peak excursion where it reverses
direction and gradually starts accelerating in the other direction, the rate
of acceleration increases to a peak value as it passes through zero again,
then the rate starts decreasing again until it again reverses direction
again at the "bottom" of the cycle, where the rate starts increasing again
until it again reaches zero, then the whole thing repeats again. Due to the
inertia and compressability of air, the air pressure at the cone's surface
will vary in proportion to the cone's speed, and this pressure variation
becomes a sound wave.
Personally, I think the "virtual" source point of the sound wave being
radiated by the speaker in the rest point of the cone at the center of the
excursion limits, but this has been a subject of debate for a long time, and
there are quite a few other theories. One other theory is that the
instantaneous virtual sound source point is the position of the cone at any
given point in time, which is where the notion of Doppler distortion in a
speaker originates. Note that if the virtual source is really the rest point
of the cone, then there is no Doppler shift in a loud speaker because the
virtual source is not moving with respect to the listener. If the latter
theory is correct, then Doppler shift is produced by a loudspeaker because
the virtual source is moving with respect to the listener.

I will note that even though this is a contentious thread, I am making a
sincere request to help me envision this. Maybe I'm thinking too hard or
have some sort of mental block on this issue.

This is perhaps why a square wave is hard to push through a speaker,
because it demands instantaneous accelerations of the diaphragm.

I always though it was because most speakers are round! Nyuk!

Nope, you can push a square wave through a speaker, but you can only do it
once because the sharp edges will tear up the cone. :-)
Seriously, some very good speakers will produce a pretty good approximation
of a square wave at higher frequencies, but none will do it at lower
frequencies, and no speaker will reproduce a true square wave at any
frequency because a reproducing a true square wave would require that the
cone travel instantaneously from one excursion limit to the other, and as
long as the cone has mass, that ain't gonna happen!

Porky

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

Porky wrote:

If we get into Doppler shift due to motion in air molecules, I suspect
we're getting down to "the bumble bee doesn't really fly because the

math
says it can't" point.

Huh? That's exactly what Doppler distortion is due to.
There is a mild non-linear relationship everywhere in a
soundfield between particle velocity about a point and the
fluid velocity at that point. That was my epiphany. Not
much as epiphanies go but, hey, they get fewer and fewer
every year. :-)

Doppler shift occurs because as the source moves toward the listener, the
source's motion causes the apparent wavelength of the sound to shorten, and
as it moves away it causes the apparent wavelength of the sound to lengthen.
I say "apparent wavelength" because anyone traveling along with the source
hears it as a steady tone, meaning the actual wavelength does not change.
The point I was trying to make (I think) is that soundwaves travel at the
speed of sound but the individual air molecules hardly travel at all.

If the equations show that all that much Doppler distortion in a

speaker,
why can't we hear it?

Who says we can't? It's sorta hard to get rid of to do an
ABX test on.

As I said, some speaker companies have done ABX testing between a
reproduced sound and a live sound source, and under the best conditions,
even expert listeners had trouble relaibly telling the difference. They
weren't trying to test whether Doppler shift existed in a loudspeaker, but
if Doppler shift in a speaker were all that audible, why didn't it clue the
listeners in to which was the speaker and which was live?
If you say that the live source produced Doppler shift too, then if it is
audible, it would have to be at similar levels in both the live and
reproduced sound, and that would mean that Doppler shift is a natural part
of everything we hear, so in a speaker, it could not be considered
distortion at all!

By Occam's Rasor, either our hearing mechanism has built in

compensation,
so Doppler distortion doesn't matter, or the math is wrong and it needs

be revised. That isn't to say that it doesn't happen in the
piston-in-an-infinite-tube model, it just means that the speaker/room

model
is a totally different animal.

Sure it is but it should get signifigantly worse with a
driver in an enclosure rather than in a tube because of the
large excursions demanded at the low frequencies to couple
anything from an enclosed speaker to a room. You can get
real high SPL low frequencies in a tube without much
excursion, which is what causes it, but not so with an
enclosed speaker in a room. You have to push a whole lot of
LF air up close to get what's in the signal to reach you at
any distance.

It all depends on if the virtual sound source is the rest point of the
speaker cone, or if the instantaneous virtual sound source is the surface of
the cone at any given point in time. If it is the rest point of the cone,
then no Doppler shift occurs because that point is stationary relative to
the listener. If it is the surface of the cone at any given point, then
Doppler shift does occur in a speaker, but it also occurs in a guitar string
when it is plucked, in a drum head when it is struck, in a trumpet when a
note is being played, in everything that makes a sound by vibration (meaning
everything!)

Dunno what you mean by built in compensation nor why there
would be anything like that. It's not the kind of thing
evolution would have devoted much energy to. There weren't
many broadband sound sources to work with even if it had
been deemed important for some reason.

There are a huge number of natural broadband sound sources, thunder, wind,
the ocean, a babbling brook, a river, a herd of stampeding elephants, etc.
But I said "either there is some sort of built in compensation, or the
Doppler shift isn't audible." The "either" is the key word there, and I
think it is the latter, not the former.

Porky

"TonyP" wrote in message
u...

"Porky" wrote in message

"TonyP" wrote in message
It seems you've missed my point. The brain "compensates" for the

auditory
system itself, because you have NO other point of reference.

Sure you do, ever hear of bone conduction? That bypasses the eardrum
totally.

Not at all. It is concurrent with the eardrum. Audioligists must use large
masking signals just to get some figure for bone conduction, but it is

less
than via the eardrum. I know of no way to seperate the two for comparison
purposes, do you? (The worlds audiologists await your reply :-)

There is also considerable evidence that we can "hear" the audio in
audio modulated RF at certain frequencies, which would seem to bypass

the
physical hearing mechanism entirely.

Some level of diode detection has been demonstated in some cases, usually
connected with metal fillings. This couples audio signals via bone
conduction.

I'm not talking about a filling acting as a diode, some recent research
has indicated that the nervous system may, in some cases, be able to
directly receive certain modulated rf signals and pick up the audio. The
article I read didn't go into much detail, but I believe it indicated that
the spinal cord was invloved in the recption process. However, the whole
point I was trying to make is that any Doppler shift, if it does occur in a
mic or an eardrum, is at such a low level as to be totally inaudible under
any normal conditions.

However, my point was that if one can
tell the difference between a "live" sound and the same sound reproduced

on
a very high quality sound system, then either there is no audible

distortion
present, or our ears have a mechanism that compensated for whatever
distortion is present, including any Doppler distortion.

???

I meant, "If one can't tell the difference...." And again, the key word is
"either" I don't doubt that there isn't a mechanism in our hearing that
compensates for Doppler distortion, I think Doppler distortion, if it does
occur, is inaudible under anything approaching normal conditions.

Porky

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

Porky wrote:

It seems that you missed the point, which was that if there is Doppler
shift in a mic because of diaphragm motion, then there must also be

Doppler
shift in the human ear
because of eardrum motion. If that is true then the hearing mechanism

must
have a method of compensation for it.

There is none of _any_ signifigance with either. Excursions
in either case are more than a few orders of magnitude
away from signifigance.

That was precisely my main point. It seemed that some folks were worrying
about audible Doppler shift in a microphone, and they weren't groking that
any that might exist would be absolutely, totally inaudible. I was merely
trying to point out that the alternatives weren't perticularly viable.

Porky

"Jim Carr" wrote in message
"Porky" wrote in message

The point is that everyone hears the Doppler shift in a train

whistle,

No, they don't. Everyone hears just a sound. The only way to know that the
sound is shifted is to compare it to the original unshifted sound either

by
hearing it or deriving the shift mathematically by knowing the relative
motions and the source frequencies. There's no way the brain or the most
advanced mathematical models can look at a *single* sound and tell if it's
distorted.

When we hear a train whistle or car motor, or siren for more than a
second or so, we can tell if it is moving, if it is moving toward us or away
from us, and even approximately how fast it's going. It's true that this is
a learned experience, but most of us are aware of this even as children. If
the *single* sound lasts long enough for the brain to identify it, then the
brain can indeed tell whether it's distorted or not. Once again, this is a
learned talent, but that is not relevant to this discussion.

but when comparing a "live" sound to it's replica being reproduced by a

very
accurate loudspeaker system, under the closest to ideal conditions

possible,

If
it were otherwise, we wouldn't be having this discussion! :-)

Sure we would. This has always been about theory, not application.

As to it being an esoteric discussion, it has certainly become one,

but
the original question was "Do speakers create Doppler distortion when
producing both a HF tone and an LF tone at the same time?",

Esoteric simply means limited to small group of people. That has always

been
the case. Ask a thousand people if they care about the above question and
maybe one will say yes.

Agreed, though the true ratio might be closer to one in ten thousand. :-)

occur in a speaker, then there must a number of ways to minimize it,

Nobody has done it even though it has been "known" for decades. It would
require *every* speaker in the chain to be free of Doppler distortion. All
those guitar licks run through an amp and speaker are distorted to begin
with.

The argument about Doppler distortion in a speaker has been going on for
at least fifty years, and probably longer than that, and I have yet to see
any empirical proof either way, or even any way of actually testing whether
it exists or not.
I just thought of a possible test! I think everyone agrees that if you
physically move the source, Doppler shift occurs. So, how about taking a
source producing a single hf tone and mounting it on a motor, vibration
table, etc that is oscillating at a given low frequency, and feeding a
loudspeaker with a mix of precisely the same tones at precisely the same
levels, such that the LF excursion of the speaker is the same as the LF
excursion of the motor or vibration table. Record both using exactly the
same equipment and technique, and compare and analyze them to see if there
is any difference, if there isn't, then I think we have to agree that
Doppler shift does occur in a loudspeaker. If there is a difference, then
that would provide some level of empirical proof.

Jim Carr

"Porky" wrote in message

Doppler shift occurs because as the source moves toward the listener,

the
source's motion causes the apparent wavelength of the sound to shorten,

and
as it moves away it causes the apparent wavelength of the sound to

lengthen.
I say "apparent wavelength" because anyone traveling along with the source
hears it as a steady tone, meaning the actual wavelength does not change.

I gotta disagree with you here. The wavelength is the distance between the
waves, right? The easiest way to measure something that's moving is if I
know it's speed. So, using the whistle on the train as an example, I can
measure the time interval between two waves at the source and calculate the
distance between those waves at the source since I know the speed of sound.

Now, if the train is moving in the same direction as the waves are being
emitted, I must subtract from that distance I just calculated the distance
that I know the source traveled between the waves. Therefore, the distance
is shorter than when it was stationary. If I'm moving away, it's longer. The
stationary listener hears this as a higher or lower pitch.

If the receiver is moving relative to the source, it's measurements are
"off" so to speak. The ear lacks the ability to add or subtract to
compensate for the motion. It perceives a time interval between the waves
and the brain recognizes this at a certain pitch. The brain has a fixed
value for the speed of sound so to speak. The physical distance between the
waves didn't change. Rather the receiver changed distances between the waves
but the brain didn't compensate.

The key here is that if I performed the *same* measuring techniques when the
receiver was moving as I did at the source when the source was moving
(taking into account the distance I traveled), I would come up with the same
distance between the waves as I did when the source did when it was
stationary.

It might be fair to say that if the source is moving relative to the
listener that there is a real shift in wavelength. If the listener is moving
relative to the source the ear fails to compensate for the movement and the
receiver perceives an apparent shift in wavelength.

I know this sounds like a bunch of relativistic mumbo-jumbo, but it makes
sense to me if I use objective techniques to measure distances, not the
subject measurements of my ear-brain configuration.

As I said, some speaker companies have done ABX testing between a
reproduced sound and a live sound source, and under the best conditions,
even expert listeners had trouble relaibly telling the difference.

Can you cite a reference?

There are a huge number of natural broadband sound sources, thunder, wind,
the ocean, a babbling brook, a river, a herd of stampeding elephants, etc.
But I said "either there is some sort of built in compensation, or the
Doppler shift isn't audible." The "either" is the key word there, and I
think it is the latter, not the former.

Please explain how it is possible to detect any type of distortion in a
single sound. You can pick any one sound, just explain how one can measure
the distortion.

Jim Carr

"Porky" wrote in message
t...

I'm not talking about a filling acting as a diode, some recent

research
has indicated that the nervous system may, in some cases, be able to
directly receive certain modulated rf signals and pick up the audio.

Can you cite a reference?

I meant, "If one can't tell the difference...." And again, the key word

is
"either" I don't doubt that there isn't a mechanism in our hearing that
compensates for Doppler distortion, I think Doppler distortion, if it does
occur, is inaudible under anything approaching normal conditions.

Just admit you were wrong about the brain compensating for it. Your
backtracking with "either" being some "key word" is like saying, "either
it's not audible or fairies are sprinkling fairy dust to cast magic spells
so we can't hear it." I'm not arguing whether it's audible or not, but the
brain compensation thing is just silly.

Bob Cain

Porky wrote:

Doppler shift occurs because as the source moves toward the listener, the
source's motion causes the apparent wavelength of the sound to shorten, and
as it moves away it causes the apparent wavelength of the sound to lengthen.

Have you seen the derivation of it that I wrote for Zigoteau
today (10/05/04)? It is not equivalent to what you say
here. Plugging in the motion of a driver comprised of a LF
and a HF sinusoid, generating a discrete time signal from
that forumula, and eliminating the fundamentals via the FFT
and looking graphically at the result shows that the
distortion amplitude is a minimum when the LF source
velocity is at a maximum and vice versa.

Maybe it's not correct to call it Doppler distortion because
that would seem to imply the opposite but that name seems to
be what we are stuck with.

If you say that the live source produced Doppler shift too, then if it is
audible, it would have to be at similar levels in both the live and
reproduced sound, and that would mean that Doppler shift is a natural part
of everything we hear, so in a speaker, it could not be considered
distortion at all!

The sound is measured at a *point* with a pressure mic, or
pressure gradient mic (which is another ball of wax.) If we
transform that signal to the *motion* of a driver, the
pressure at a distance won't be what we originally measured.
That's Doppler distortion.

There are a huge number of natural broadband sound sources, thunder, wind,
the ocean, a babbling brook, a river, a herd of stampeding elephants, etc.
But I said "either there is some sort of built in compensation, or the
Doppler shift isn't audible." The "either" is the key word there, and I
think it is the latter, not the former.

In nature, LF sounds are made by *big* things. The
excursion of whatever generates them need not be very big so
that the pressure measured at a point, by a mic or an
eardrum, is not much distorted. When we try to generate LF
sounds with little things like loudspeakers we have to
compensate for their smallness by making them move with much
bigger excursions than what you are going to get from
nature's generators. These bigger excursions of the
synthetic device makes more of this kind of distortion than
nature does. Evolution would have no reason to take notice
of the small natural effect, much less to correct for it.

This is not an argument for the audibility of the Doppler
distortion of a speaker, I'm just trying to disabuse you of
the notion that the ear/brain would have had any reason to
correct for it.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Jim Carr

"Porky" wrote in message

When we hear a train whistle or car motor, or siren for more than a
second or so, we can tell if it is moving, if it is moving toward us or

away
from us,

Because we are comparing it against a second sound, namely the sound of a
siren when the source and receiver are stationary. If you did not know what
it was *supposed* to sound like you would never know anything was amiss. By
definition we are not dealing with a single sound.

How can the brain "compensate" for a sound when it requires knowing the
sound in advance? Nobody is arguing that the brain cannot compare two
sounds. However, your notion that somehow the brain could possibly mask
Doppler distortion in such a way as to make it inaudible strikes me as
silly.

Laurence Payne

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 23:50:59 -0700, "Jim Carr"
wrote:

How can the brain "compensate" for a sound when it requires knowing the
sound in advance? Nobody is arguing that the brain cannot compare two
sounds. However, your notion that somehow the brain could possibly mask
Doppler distortion in such a way as to make it inaudible strikes me as
silly.

The brain is remarkably good at focusing on data and ignoring
distortion. I'm sure Doppler distortion isn't immune to this
principle.

Porky

"Jim Carr" wrote in message
"Porky" wrote in message

[...]

Or you can measure the apparent frequency and if you know the actual
frequency, you can calculate the speed of the source. "Speed of propagation
/ Frequency" gives you the wave length, but you have to know the actual
frequency or wavelength before you can calculate the speed. Whichever way
you do it, the wavelength you measure depends on (a) the speed and direction
of the source, relative to you, (b) your speed and direction relative to the
source, and (c) the actual frequency of the source. Since the wavelength you
measure will vary depending on (a) and (b), even if (c) is constant, which
measurement is the real one? Actually all of them are, but I used the term
"apparent" as meaning as it appears to you, the listener, and "actual" to
mean as it appears relative to the source. I think we are actually in
agreement, I just didn't make myself clear enough.

Now, if the train is moving in the same direction as the waves are being
emitted, I must subtract from that distance I just calculated the distance
that I know the source traveled between the waves. Therefore, the distance
is shorter than when it was stationary. If I'm moving away, it's longer.

The
stationary listener hears this as a higher or lower pitch.

Actually, the waves will propagate in all three dimensions. The whistle
isn't particularly all that directional, and it wouldn't matter if it were.
Everything is relative to the source and the listener. If the source is
moving toward the listener the waves traveling between them will appear
shortened to the listener, resulting in an increase in pitch. If the train
is moving away from the listener, the waves traveling between them will
appear to be lengthened, resulting in a decrease in pitch. However, once
again, in order to calculate the source's speed, you must know the actual
frequency of the source. If the train is taking a path that will take it
past you, you can measure the apparent frequency and at the point when it
passes and the frequency stops rising and starts decreasing, you have a very
good approximation of the actual frequency (I say approximation because the
point at which the train is stationary relative to you is instantaneous so
the half cycle on one side of that point will be shortened and the half
cycle on the other side will be lengthened, but measuring the whole cycle
gives a very close approximation assuming the source is traveling at a
steady speed), and you can then calculate the speed of the train relative to
you.

If the receiver is moving relative to the source, it's measurements are
"off" so to speak. The ear lacks the ability to add or subtract to
compensate for the motion. It perceives a time interval between the waves
and the brain recognizes this at a certain pitch. The brain has a fixed
value for the speed of sound so to speak. The physical distance between

the
waves didn't change. Rather the receiver changed distances between the

waves
but the brain didn't compensate.

There is nothing for the brain to compensate for, since instrumentation at
the listener's position will measure exactly the same frequency the listener
hears, so the apparent frequancy is actually the real frequency at that
point.

The key here is that if I performed the *same* measuring techniques when

the
receiver was moving as I did at the source when the source was moving
(taking into account the distance I traveled), I would come up with the

same
distance between the waves as I did when the source did when it was
stationary.

It might be fair to say that if the source is moving relative to the
listener that there is a real shift in wavelength. If the listener is

moving
relative to the source the ear fails to compensate for the movement and

the
receiver perceives an apparent shift in wavelength.

No, I think we must come up with an acoustic theory of relativity for this
one. It can be stated thusly. "The difference between the measured and
actual frequency of any sound source is relative to the relative velocity
and direction of travel between the source and the measuring instrument."
The fact that the instrument measures exactly the frequency the listener
hears proves that it is a real shift in frequency, but the fact that an
instrument carried by another listener moving at some different velocity
relative to the source will measure (and the listener will hear) a different
frequency, proves that it's all relative.

I know this sounds like a bunch of relativistic mumbo-jumbo, but it makes
sense to me if I use objective techniques to measure distances, not the
subject measurements of my ear-brain configuration.

Actually since the frequency you hear is exactly the same as that
measured by the instrument you carry, there's nothing subjective about it.
It's real to you, and to anybody standing beside you, it's just not what the
guy in the car going past you is hearing and what his instrument is
measuring.
Now, here's where it gets really confusing, if the train is traveling
faster than the speed of sound, you won't even hear it until it is past you,
and when you do hear it, the frequency will be rising at first, even though
it's moving away from you, of course as the sound catches up, the frequency
will start falling.

As I said, some speaker companies have done ABX testing between a
reproduced sound and a live sound source, and under the best conditions,
even expert listeners had trouble relaibly telling the difference.

Can you cite a reference?

I know JBL, EV, and Altech have all done this in the past, and I believe
it was JBL who did a series of public demonstrations all over the country
several years ago. I'm pretty sure it was pre-Internet, but you might find
something on it at those companies' web sites.

There are a huge number of natural broadband sound sources, thunder,

wind,
the ocean, a babbling brook, a river, a herd of stampeding elephants,

etc.
But I said "either there is some sort of built in compensation, or the
Doppler shift isn't audible." The "either" is the key word there, and I
think it is the latter, not the former.

Please explain how it is possible to detect any type of distortion in a
single sound. You can pick any one sound, just explain how one can measure
the distortion.

You probably can't measure it, but you can certainly hear it, if you've
ever heard that sound before. As I said, it's a matter of experience.
However, if it's the first time you've ever heard that particular sound, of
course you have no way of telling if it's distorted or not. It's just that
as adults, we hear relatively few "new" sounds that we have no basis of
comparison for. Chances are you've heard something that you can use for
comparison to judge approximate distortion.

zigoteau

Bob Cain wrote in message ...

Hi, Bob,

Mine, which involves no approximation, yields:

Vp(d,t) = Vd(t - (d - Sd(t-d/c))/c)

I am sorry, Bob, but the second equation does involve an approximation.

I was afraid you were going to say something like that. :-)

From the logic I used to get it could you please show me
the trap I've fallen into? It goes as follows:

The fluid velocity (in units of distance/time) of a test
particle (a tiny, zero mass thing) located a distance d from
the driver face is given by

Vp(d,t) = Vd(t-d/c) 1)

No, that's your mistake. It certainly follows from the linear wave
equation and the assumed boundary condition at infinity that:

Vp[d,t] = Vp[x, t+(x-d)/c] , Sd=xd

Your equation effectively firstly assumes that the diaphragm is at x=0
and then that it is at x=Sd(t), whichever is most convenient at the
time. It is not a bad approximation, but it is an approximation.

The other postings casting doubt on the boundary condition between the
diaphragm and the air are way off-beam. It is quite legitimate to
assume that, at a mesoscopic length scale, the air in contact with
the diaphragm is moving at the velocity of the diaphragm, i.e. no
slip. Sure, this is an average over a few million molecules. The
individual molecules are moving at high speed, of order of the speed
of sound, in all possible directions. Each molecule scatters a small
amount, and it is Doppler-shifted, with a different Doppler shift for
each molecule. Overall it leads to attenuation of the sound wave. We
know that in fact sound can travel for miles, so that it is not a
large effect, and it is fully taken into account in an effective
medium approximation by this small attenuation.

Cheers,

Zigoteau.
Porky

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

Porky wrote:

Doppler shift occurs because as the source moves toward the listener,

the
source's motion causes the apparent wavelength of the sound to shorten,

and
as it moves away it causes the apparent wavelength of the sound to

lengthen.

Have you seen the derivation of it that I wrote for Zigoteau
today (10/05/04)? It is not equivalent to what you say
here. Plugging in the motion of a driver comprised of a LF
and a HF sinusoid, generating a discrete time signal from
that forumula, and eliminating the fundamentals via the FFT
and looking graphically at the result shows that the
distortion amplitude is a minimum when the LF source
velocity is at a maximum and vice versa.

My statement above is pretty much exactly what Doppler postulated in his
theory of Doppler shift, so if it is not equivalent, you must be describing
something other than Doppler shift.

Maybe it's not correct to call it Doppler distortion because
that would seem to imply the opposite but that name seems to
be what we are stuck with.

The use of inappropriate labels has probably been the cause of more
disagreements over the course of human history than all other causes
combined. So, let's not be stuck with it, define it and give it an
appropriate label. Speakers create several forms of audible distortion, I
just don't think Doppler shift is the root of any of them.

If you say that the live source produced Doppler shift too, then if it

is
audible, it would have to be at similar levels in both the live and
reproduced sound, and that would mean that Doppler shift is a natural

part
of everything we hear, so in a speaker, it could not be considered
distortion at all!

The sound is measured at a *point* with a pressure mic, or
pressure gradient mic (which is another ball of wax.) If we
transform that signal to the *motion* of a driver, the
pressure at a distance won't be what we originally measured.
That's Doppler distortion.

I don't think so, I'm not arguing that the distortion you're defining
doesn't exist, I'm saying it's the result of a phenomonen other than Doppler
shift.

There are a huge number of natural broadband sound sources, thunder,

wind,
the ocean, a babbling brook, a river, a herd of stampeding elephants,

etc.
But I said "either there is some sort of built in compensation, or the
Doppler shift isn't audible." The "either" is the key word there, and I
think it is the latter, not the former.

In nature, LF sounds are made by *big* things. The
excursion of whatever generates them need not be very big so
that the pressure measured at a point, by a mic or an
eardrum, is not much distorted.

An elephant fart may exceed 90 dB SPL at ten feet, and the elephant's
anus is smaller in diameter than an eight inch woofer. You'll have to
measure excursion, I ain't gonna get close enough.:-) Ok, I'm getting silly
now, but my point is that unless the sound measures something more than 140
dB SPL at the listener's position, it isn't going to cause distortion in the
hearing mechanism

When we try to generate LF
sounds with little things like loudspeakers we have to
compensate for their smallness by making them move with much
bigger excursions than what you are going to get from
nature's generators. These bigger excursions of the
synthetic device makes more of this kind of distortion than
nature does. Evolution would have no reason to take notice
of the small natural effect, much less to correct for it.

Yes, but my position is that the distortion you're describing isn't Doppler
related, or not directly, anyway. There may be some subtle relation,
however.

This is not an argument for the audibility of the Doppler
distortion of a speaker, I'm just trying to disabuse you of
the notion that the ear/brain would have had any reason to
correct for it.

I never actually thought it did in any specific sense, however, if every
sound source creates Doppler shift in the natrual mechanism of creating the
sound, no matter how small, then it's a part of the natural order of sound,
and a part of what we hear. I understand that you're saying, because of the
size of the speaker relative to the wave length of the sound, some added
level of distortion takes place when we use that speaker to generate low
frequency sounds.
Let's look at a speaker reproducing a 40 Hz sine wave. If you look at the
cone's excursion, to reproduce higher volumes, the cone has to move further
back and forth, therefore it's frequency of oscillation remains at 40 Hz but
its velocity increases because it has to move further back and forth in the
same amount of time. At some point, either the linear range of excursion
will be exceeded and distortion will occur because of the nonlinear motion,
or the motive source will be unable to overcome the inertia and the load of
the cone and the air it's pushing, and again, distortion will occur due to
the cone's nonlinear motion. Both of these types of distortion have to do
with exceeding the linear limits of the speaker or it's motive force.
Neither of these types of distortion is what you're talking about.
Now, the speaker moving back and forth creates high and low pressure
areas in front of the cone, but these pressure waves are not sound waves,
they're just molecules being moved back and forth by the cone and by the
air's natural tendency to seek a uniform pressure. At 40 Hz, a cone movement
of a few millimeters must generate a soundwave nearly thirty feet in length.
This is possible because the sound wave generated by the moving cone
propagates at a velocity much higher than that of the cone. The frequency of
oscillation of the cone is directly related to the wavelength of the sound
being reproduced and equal to the soundwave frequency, but the velocity of
the cone is not related at all to either frequency or the speed of
propagation, and the distance of excursion is not related at all to the
wavelength, frequency, or propagation speed of the soundwave being
generated. Cone velocity and excursion are directly related to each other
for any given frequency, and they are related to the soundwave only as a
function of amplitude. If the relationship of cone excursion to soundwave
amplitude is not linear then distortion will occur due to the speaker's
inefficiency at low frequncies. This will also introduce distortion in any
hf tone being generated at by the cone, but it isn't due to Doppler shift,
it's due to the non-linear relationship of excursion to amplitude. However,
if the relationship of cone excursion to amplitude is linear at any given
frequency, then no distortion will result, either at the low frequency being
generated, or at any higher frequency tone simultaneously being generated by
the cone. This would tend to explain why a well designed woofer in the
proper enclosure will have less distortion that a larger woofer in an
enclosure not well suited to it.
I have no idea what all this might have to do with "Doppler distortion", I
just thought some of it might have some relevance to some part of this
discussion.

Porky

"Jim Carr" wrote in message
"Porky" wrote in message
t...

I'm not talking about a filling acting as a diode, some recent

research
has indicated that the nervous system may, in some cases, be able to
directly receive certain modulated rf signals and pick up the audio.

Can you cite a reference?

I had seen it several years ago, and then there was a brief article about
it, on MSNBC I think, in the last few days.

I meant, "If one can't tell the difference...." And again, the key word

is
"either" I don't doubt that there isn't a mechanism in our hearing that
compensates for Doppler distortion, I think Doppler distortion, if it

does
occur, is inaudible under anything approaching normal conditions.

Just admit you were wrong about the brain compensating for it. Your
backtracking with "either" being some "key word" is like saying, "either
it's not audible or fairies are sprinkling fairy dust to cast magic spells
so we can't hear it." I'm not arguing whether it's audible or not, but the
brain compensation thing is just silly.

No, I said if Doppler distortion exists, EITHER there is is something in the
hearing mecanism to compensate for it, OR it isn't audible. I believe it's
the latter, but if it turns out to exist at a high enough level to be
audible and you still don't hear it, then it must be the former. :-) If all
reasonable explanations are exausted, it's time to consider the
unreasonable...

Porky

"Jim Carr" wrote in message
"Porky" wrote in message

When we hear a train whistle or car motor, or siren for more than a
second or so, we can tell if it is moving, if it is moving toward us or

away
from us,

Because we are comparing it against a second sound, namely the sound of a
siren when the source and receiver are stationary. If you did not know

what
it was *supposed* to sound like you would never know anything was amiss.

By
definition we are not dealing with a single sound.

I agree when you state it like that. I would substitute *singular* for
single, in the sense of a *singularity* something that only happens once,
but it doesn't matter because I think we're both on the same page now.

How can the brain "compensate" for a sound when it requires knowing the
sound in advance? Nobody is arguing that the brain cannot compare two
sounds. However, your notion that somehow the brain could possibly mask
Doppler distortion in such a way as to make it inaudible strikes me as
silly.

It strikes me as silly too, but if Doppler distortion exists at the level
that's been postulated here, if should be very audible, and if it is and you
still can't hear it, what other explanation would you suggest? Personally, I
prefer the explanation that we don't hear it because if it does exist, it's
at a level so low as to be inaudible.

Porky

wrote:

How can the brain "compensate" for a sound when it requires knowing the
sound in advance? Nobody is arguing that the brain cannot compare two
sounds. However, your notion that somehow the brain could possibly mask
Doppler distortion in such a way as to make it inaudible strikes me as
silly.

The brain is remarkably good at focusing on data and ignoring
distortion. I'm sure Doppler distortion isn't immune to this
principle.

That's true, and one can even hear a conversation that's below the
ambient level across a crowded and noisy room, if one is interested enough
to concentrate on it. However, I really wasn't postulation that such a
mechanism actually existed, I was speculating on why we couldn't hear it if
it really was at the high levels suggested.

Laurence Payne

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 05:43:41 -0500, "Porky" wrote:

How can the brain "compensate" for a sound when it requires knowing the
sound in advance? Nobody is arguing that the brain cannot compare two
sounds. However, your notion that somehow the brain could possibly mask
Doppler distortion in such a way as to make it inaudible strikes me as
silly.

The brain is remarkably good at focusing on data and ignoring
distortion. I'm sure Doppler distortion isn't immune to this
principle.

That's true, and one can even hear a conversation that's below the
ambient level across a crowded and noisy room, if one is interested enough
to concentrate on it. However, I really wasn't postulation that such a
mechanism actually existed, I was speculating on why we couldn't hear it if
it really was at the high levels suggested.

In which case, that's what you should have said :-)

Why do you say one can "even" hear below the noise floor? A louder
sound doesn't mask a softer one, especially if they have different
tonal characteristics. Just because the brass come in, it doesn't
mean the string players can pack up and go home :-)

Myxococcus xanthus

"Jim Carr" wrote in message news:0cM8d.13723$mS1.11835@fed1read05...
"Porky" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Not "the" Jim Carr, by any chance? The physicist?

Myxococcus xanthus
Porky

[...]

I did, that was why I used an "either, or" statement. :-)

Why do you say one can "even" hear below the noise floor? A louder
sound doesn't mask a softer one, especially if they have different
tonal characteristics. Just because the brass come in, it doesn't
mean the string players can pack up and go home :-)

In a crowded room with many conversations going on, the voices pretty much
fall into the relatively narrow range of normal conversation, so everything
falls into the same frequency range. This does provide a pretty good masking
level when trying to make out a low conversation all the way across the
room. Part of the reason we can do it is that we don't have to hear every
word, we just have to pick up enough key words to get the gist of it, and
another part of it is that we have a very good built in selective filter
when we concentrate.

Paul Draper

"Porky" wrote in message t...
"Jim Carr" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, this isn't quite right. The pressure fluctuations that
correspond to a sound wave don't match with the *position* profile of
the speaker, but with the *velocity* profile of the speaker. Thus the
requirement of a square wave (in pressure) is that the speaker
instantaneously accelerate to its maximum velocity, proceed from one
end of its throw to the other at constant (maximum) velocity, and then
at the other end of the throw instantaneously accelerate to maximum
negative velocity. The way to think about the motion under such a
circumstance is like the little ball in a Pong game. For just the
reason you mention, real speakers won't achieve that hard,
instantaneous bounce at the extrema, but this sure isn't the same as
the even more extreme motion you describe.

PD
ZZBunker

"Porky" wrote in message

[...]

It is all relativistic mumno-jumbo, from Einstein's
train experiment to the speaker diaphrams. The brain
has nothing to do with light or sound. It's
the geometric relationship bewteen eye sockets,
ear sockets, and wind that create the sound.

Since sound is a reverberation, that actually
has nothing to do with waves. It only
concerns echo chambers. Which only produce
QM standing waves, not waves.

As I said, some speaker companies have done ABX testing between a
reproduced sound and a live sound source, and under the best conditions,
even expert listeners had trouble relaibly telling the difference.

Can you cite a reference?

There are a huge number of natural broadband sound sources, thunder, wind,
the ocean, a babbling brook, a river, a herd of stampeding elephants, etc.
But I said "either there is some sort of built in compensation, or the
Doppler shift isn't audible." The "either" is the key word there, and I
think it is the latter, not the former.

Please explain how it is possible to detect any type of distortion in a
single sound. You can pick any one sound, just explain how one can measure
the distortion.

Vladan

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:25:30 +0200, Vladan wrote:

After so many words spent on the effect in regard to speaker, when are
you to start examining it in regard to (dynamic) microphone.

And don't forget the air. Molecules are moving. There must be some
dopler there, too.

And so much more after these above. Before I knew several legs were
pulled. Is it o.K. to tell you I was only joking? Guess it is.

I have opinion on the subject, though.

I think there must be differentiation made btw Doppler effect, we all
learned about in high scholl Physics classes (and experienced in
everyday life) and Doppler distortion (?), which seam to be
unfortunately choosen engineering term. Even more important, to produce
sound, source does not have to travel, but only to oscilate. That's one
huge difference.
Also, when explaining Doppler effect, Sound Source is always considered
to be small (dot, or point, or whatever), at least few magnitudes
smaller than trajectory it travells towards the listener , or from him.
Further, it's looked at as one compact thing. No moving parts in it.

When we substitute loudspeaker for dot source, we get into one another
teritory. Real life. However, physics is all about describing real life,
therefore it should be expected two to coincide, as usualy it is the
case.
As presented here, it seams there should be some ammount of doppler (or
is it Doepler?) effect present even if the source (loudspeaker) is not
travelling. Obviously, as physics says, source must travel in order
dopler effect to be produced. Therefore we can freely say, ther's no
Doppler effect due to speaker cone movement, as it does not travell. it
simply oscilates. That's how sound is made. The Distance is distance
from the neutral position (of speaker cone) to listener. That much for
Doppler effect (in acoustics). Fact is, as some clever (?) people
noticed, cone is sometimes closer to the listener, sometimes further,
depending of the position of the oscilating cone in regard to neutral
position. Unforuneately for them, as source does not travel, but merely
oscilate (it has to oscilate, or there would not be sound) wavelength of
the sound the listener hears is all the same all the time, no matter if
cone is pushing or pulling at that exact moment.

Due to fact above, term Doppler distortion was invented by some people,
whoever they are, to mud waters and let them discuss about nothing.
Longer the better. Get some money for a project or two? All that can
happen in regarded situation is slight phase difference. Same one we can
hear due to polarity reversal, if the speaker is in special position
(near the wall), or we could hear in the open if we were size of a bug
with ears of a bat and positioned few mm from the cone it self
(preferably orthogonal to direction of cone movement ???, or it wouldn't
matter). So, why they refer to this as to Dopler distortin, instead to
simply call it modulation, phase difference, shift,... or whatever, is
beyond me.

Back to sleep.
Jim Carr

wrote:

How can the brain "compensate" for a sound when it requires knowing the
sound in advance? Nobody is arguing that the brain cannot compare two
sounds. However, your notion that somehow the brain could possibly mask
Doppler distortion in such a way as to make it inaudible strikes me as
silly.

The brain is remarkably good at focusing on data and ignoring
distortion. I'm sure Doppler distortion isn't immune to this
principle.

There's a difference between critical listening masking out sounds and
Porky's rather dubious "either/or" claim that the reason we can't hear
Doppler distortion is because the brain is automatically compensating for
it. The former is a matter of concentration and experience. The latter is
magic.

Jim Carr

"Myxococcus xanthus" wrote in message
om...

Not "the" Jim Carr, by any chance? The physicist?

How could you possibly think that with my amateurish discussions of physics?
:-)

Jim Carr

"ZZBunker" wrote in message
om...

It is all relativistic mumno-jumbo, from Einstein's
train experiment to the speaker diaphrams. The brain
has nothing to do with light or sound. It's
the geometric relationship bewteen eye sockets,
ear sockets, and wind that create the sound.

I disagree. The speed of sound is so slow when compared to relativistic
speeds that we're entitled to ignore Einstein's theory that our measuring
sticks will be affected. Furthemore, if the receiver is moving faster than
the speed of sound away from the source the listener will not hear any
sounds at all. What's the measurement of the wavelength at that point? Is
there now no Doppler shift? There's still a distance between the waves. We
can't hear them, but we can certainly apply my measuring technique by taking
into account our greater than mach speed.

In Einstein's theory we can never move faster than the speed of light. It's
a whole different ball game.

Since sound is a reverberation, that actually
has nothing to do with waves.

Can you please elaborate?

Bob Cain

Porky wrote:

I don't think so, I'm not arguing that the distortion you're defining
doesn't exist, I'm saying it's the result of a phenomonen other than Doppler
shift.

It is the only distortion phenomenon that follows from the
motion of the source, so call it what you wish. That its
magnitude is a minimum, zero, when the velocity due to the
LF is a maximum just belies the usual picture people have of
what is going on and the way it is often described.

An elephant fart may exceed 90 dB SPL at ten feet, and the elephant's
anus is smaller in diameter than an eight inch woofer. You'll have to
measure excursion, I ain't gonna get close enough.:-)

There's a very signifigant excursion there if you consider
its equivalent displacement of air. :-)

Ok, I'm getting silly
now, but my point is that unless the sound measures something more than 140
dB SPL at the listener's position, it isn't going to cause distortion in the
hearing mechanism

Distortion at the biological level sets in much sooner than
your numbers indicate.

Yes, but my position is that the distortion you're describing isn't Doppler
related, or not directly, anyway. There may be some subtle relation,
however.

Whatever it is, it's all there is.

[snip]

I have no idea what all this might have to do with "Doppler distortion", I
just thought some of it might have some relevance to some part of this
discussion.

None. We are discussing IM distortion occuring in a linear
medium due to source motion. Distortion due to being in a
regime where the pressure and velocity of air are not
related linearly is a whole 'nuther discussion.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Bob Cain

zigoteau wrote:

The fluid velocity (in units of distance/time) of a test
particle (a tiny, zero mass thing) located a distance d from
the driver face is given by

Vp(d,t) = Vd(t-d/c) 1)

No, that's your mistake. It certainly follows from the linear wave
equation and the assumed boundary condition at infinity that:

Vp[d,t] = Vp[x, t+(x-d)/c] , Sd=xd

Your equation effectively firstly assumes that the diaphragm is at x=0
and then that it is at x=Sd(t), whichever is most convenient at the
time. It is not a bad approximation, but it is an approximation.

Yes, I understand. The way I stated it implies that at time
t it is a distance d from where the face is at the same time
t. Clearly wrong.

1) and 2) are a poorly stated attempt to establish that the
motion of a particle whose rest position is a distance d
from the driver's rest position is the same as that of the
driver at a time d/c in the past, with which I don't think
you will disagree other than what you said about the small
attenuation effect. If I properly establish 1) and 2) I
still think my conclusion follows but I need to go away
again and think about it.

The other postings casting doubt on the boundary condition between the
diaphragm and the air are way off-beam. It is quite legitimate to
assume that, at a mesoscopic length scale, the air in contact with
the diaphragm is moving at the velocity of the diaphragm, i.e. no
slip.

Right, this and the wave equation justify the condition I
describe in the last paragraph.

As always, Thank you.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Goofball_star_dot_etal

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 11:26:51 -0700, Bob Cain
wrote:

It is the only distortion phenomenon that follows from the
motion of the source, so call it what you wish. That its
magnitude is a minimum, zero, when the velocity due to the
LF is a maximum just belies the usual picture people have of
what is going on and the way it is often described.

The Elliot Effect?
Read his "paper" again and try to find where he directly records
position or velocity. Failing that, look for any asumptions he has
made about the position of the cone in relation to the recorded
signals and see whether there is any argument or evidence put forward
to support his assumptions. Most of his fans are too dozy to notice
any flaws or don't care. . .
Bob Cain

wrote:

It is the only distortion phenomenon that follows from the
motion of the source, so call it what you wish. That its
magnitude is a minimum, zero, when the velocity due to the
LF is a maximum just belies the usual picture people have of
what is going on and the way it is often described.

The Elliot Effect?

Yes. IIRC, his test shows exactly that.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

The Ghost

"Porky" wrote in message news:NIP8d.267327$% doesn't

An elephant fart may exceed 90 dB SPL at ten feet,

I would guess that you reached that conclusion from personal
experience and that it is based on numerous observations.

and the elephant's
anus is smaller in diameter than an eight inch woofer.

I wouldn't be surprised if the diameter of an elephant's anus is about
the same diameter as your mouth. Furthermore, it would seem that
diameter isn't the only thing that your mouth and an elephant's anus
have in common.
ZZBunker

"Jim Carr" wrote in message news:S%V8d.19$_a3.8@fed1read05...
"ZZBunker" wrote in message
om...

It is all relativistic mumno-jumbo, from Einstein's
train experiment to the speaker diaphrams. The brain
has nothing to do with light or sound. It's
the geometric relationship bewteen eye sockets,
ear sockets, and wind that create the sound.

I disagree. The speed of sound is so slow when compared to relativistic
speeds that we're entitled to ignore Einstein's theory that our measuring
sticks will be affected. Furthemore, if the receiver is moving faster than
the speed of sound away from the source the listener will not hear any
sounds at all. What's the measurement of the wavelength at that point? Is
there now no Doppler shift? There's still a distance between the waves. We
can't hear them, but we can certainly apply my measuring technique by taking
into account our greater than mach speed.

I think you talking about music though, not sound though.
The "speed" of sound, and the Doppler Shift only exist
in the context of music, where the medium is
locally linear. Most mediums, including the
Earth's crust, the Ocean Bottom, clouds, and the sun's
photosphere don't have a fixed speed of sound.
So the "wavelength" in those media doesn't
really exist in the Classical Fourier sense. Which
is why you need complex frequencies in those cases.
And the imaginary part of the frequency
is going to be traveling through a different state of matter
than the real part of the frequency.
And it's going to travel infinitely faster
than the real part. Which is where matrix mechanics
and the Uncertainty Prinicple came from.

And what the wavelength is in a matrix,
nobody knows.

And Einstein was right about the measuring sticks.
They're only useful where you have a source and receiver.
But the Mercury Perehelion measurement doesn't
have a source receiver mode.

The only way to even derive the GTR mass Equivalency
Principle is just the way he did it, with the
Elevator experiment, where there are no
Doppler Shifts.

And because sound is slow, doesn't mean acoustic
waves are slow. The acoustic pressure waves
from solar flares, Nuclear Reactor Cores, and
Hydrogen bombs are too fast for even the
fastest acoustician to keep up with.
Which is why both Digital Sound, TV, and Electric
Guitars and Laser Pickups work so much
better than "acoustics".

And the receiver will hear the source sound,
after loud after he breaks the speed of sound.
Since the pressure wave is going to reflect
off the upper atmosophere and be heard
as a constant rumble, until he comes
back below the speed of sound. But what he
hears won't intelligible to him, because
all the source frequency are nonlinearly
shifted. But you can unshift them, in
many sitution, which is the main reason
that Stealth Aircraft work.

In Einstein's theory we can never move faster than the speed of light. It's
a whole different ball game.

That's hardly true. The only reason refraction of light
through a telescope even works at all is because
Newton could move infinitely faster through
glass, than Einstein or QM people will ever
even approximatelty catch up to.

Since sound is a reverberation, that actually
has nothing to do with waves.

Can you please elaborate?

Sound needs an incident pressure to even exist.
but the only part of the pressure wave
that is "hearable" is the frequency band
that it's tuned to hear. But the tuning
operation itself makes the wave "stop",
so at those moments, the sound it no
longer apparently a wave. It's fixed
in space as a mathematical function
that has definite visible edges, at
a *location* is space, rather than
apparently travelling though space.
Jim Carr

"ZZBunker" wrote in message
om...

I am snipping your explanation not out of disprespect but simply because I
don't understand a lot of it and I think it exceeds the discussion.

Porky wrote, "the source's motion causes the apparent wavelength of the
sound to shorten." I disagreed. I will try to state my disagreement more
simply: The apparent *frequency* shifts. However, the wavelength either
shifts or it doesn't depending on whether the source if moving.

Suppose I have a machine that sends a ball rolling in a straight line at 10
feet per second. I launch one ball per second. I think we would agree that
the balls are 10 feet apart. Now, if I move my machine at 5 feet per second
in the same direction as the balls, then each ball will be five feet apart.
That's the wavelength.

Frequency is a different matter. If there is a wall some distance away, the
balls launched from the stationary machine will hit the wall a frequency of
one per second. In the second case the balls will strike the wall at one per
half second until eventually my machine crashes into the wall and I lose my
government grant.

If in the first scenario I move the wall at 2 feet per second towards the
oncoming balls, the balls will strike the wall at a frequency of one every
0.8 seconds. I still say the balls are 10 feet apart. The frequency changed
because the wall was moving, but distance between the balls didn't change.

If the balls traveled down a lane that had a line painted once per foot, and
I took a snapshot of the balls, I could clearly see that they were 10 feet
apart.

I think that to describe Doppler shift accurately one should state that the
apparent frequency shifts in all cases but that the wavelength only changes
if the source is moving. Our ears only measure frequency so the net effect
is the same.

Would you agree or disagree with this explanation?

Porky

"Paul Draper" wrote in message
om...
"Porky" wrote in message

t...
"Jim Carr" wrote in message
[...]

In order to accurately reproduce a square wave, the time required for the
cone to travel from its negative excursion to its positive excursion must
equal the rise time of the square wave, and since a perfect square wave has
a rise time of zero the travel would have to be instantaneous. By "excursion
limit" in my previous post, I did not mean the speaker's excursion limits, I
meant the amount of excursion necessary to reproduce the wave at the desired
volume.

Porky

"ZZBunker" wrote in message
.. .
"Jim Carr" wrote in message

"ZZBunker" wrote in message
om...

It is all relativistic mumno-jumbo, from Einstein's
train experiment to the speaker diaphrams. The brain
has nothing to do with light or sound. It's
the geometric relationship bewteen eye sockets,
ear sockets, and wind that create the sound.

It was Doppler's train experiment, not Einstein's.

I think you talking about music though, not sound though.
The "speed" of sound, and the Doppler Shift only exist
in the context of music, where the medium is
locally linear. Most mediums, including the
Earth's crust, the Ocean Bottom, clouds, and the sun's
photosphere don't have a fixed speed of sound.
So the "wavelength" in those media doesn't
really exist in the Classical Fourier sense. Which
is why you need complex frequencies in those cases.
And the imaginary part of the frequency
is going to be traveling through a different state of matter
than the real part of the frequency.
And it's going to travel infinitely faster
than the real part. Which is where matrix mechanics
and the Uncertainty Prinicple came from.

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle pertains to subatomic particle physics.
It has nothing to do with sound.

And what the wavelength is in a matrix,
nobody knows.

Again, nothing to do with the real world.

And Einstein was right about the measuring sticks.
They're only useful where you have a source and receiver.
But the Mercury Perehelion measurement doesn't
have a source receiver mode.

The Mercury Perehelion measurement has nothing to do with audio either.

The only way to even derive the GTR mass Equivalency
Principle is just the way he did it, with the
Elevator experiment, where there are no
Doppler Shifts.

Again, nothing to do wuith audio.

And because sound is slow, doesn't mean acoustic
waves are slow. The acoustic pressure waves
from solar flares, Nuclear Reactor Cores, and
Hydrogen bombs are too fast for even the
fastest acoustician to keep up with.
Which is why both Digital Sound, TV, and Electric
Guitars and Laser Pickups work so much
better than "acoustics".

Acoustic pressure waves have nothing to do with digital sound, TV, electric
guitars (the pickups work with magnetic induction, not acoustic pressure) or
laser pickups.

And the receiver will hear the source sound,
after loud after he breaks the speed of sound.
Since the pressure wave is going to reflect
off the upper atmosophere and be heard
as a constant rumble, until he comes
back below the speed of sound. But what he
hears won't intelligible to him, because
all the source frequency are nonlinearly
shifted. But you can unshift them, in
many sitution, which is the main reason
that Stealth Aircraft work.

The reasons stealth aircraft work have nothing to do with the speed of
sound. There are both subsonic and supersonic stealth aircraft, and the term
"stealth" when used with them primarily has to do with very small radar and
thermal footprints.
I took alt.sci.physics out of this, because for the purpose of this
discussion, we aren't concerned with the speed of sound in the sun's
photosphere, the ocean's botton, etc. Talk about your "mumbo jumbo", this
post is so far out in left field as to have no relevance whatever.

In Einstein's theory we can never move faster than the speed of light.

It's
a whole different ball game.

That's hardly true. The only reason refraction of light
through a telescope even works at all is because
Newton could move infinitely faster through
glass, than Einstein or QM people will ever
even approximatelty catch up to.

??????!

Since sound is a reverberation, that actually
has nothing to do with waves.

Can you please elaborate?

Sound needs an incident pressure to even exist.
but the only part of the pressure wave
that is "hearable" is the frequency band
that it's tuned to hear. But the tuning
operation itself makes the wave "stop",
so at those moments, the sound it no
longer apparently a wave. It's fixed
in space as a mathematical function
that has definite visible edges, at
a *location* is space, rather than
apparently travelling though space.

Out here in the real world, sound is a wave-based phenomenon. While a
single measurement does take a "picture" of an instantaneous peice of time,
it doesn't actually stop anything. Over here at home-studio, we're trying to
use math to describe what actually happens, it's a means to an end, not an
end in itself.

HAVE THEY NO SOULS OR BASIC MORALITY? clamnebula Audio Opinions 14 April 27th 04 05:02 PM
Acoustic foam placement Panzzi High End Audio 0 April 7th 04 05:25 AM
Mic Questions Twist Turner Pro Audio 22 November 25th 03 03:04 AM
Fixing acoustic foam to ceiling Rick Powell Pro Audio 3 September 2nd 03 02:06 AM
Similar to Sound Forge's Acoustic Mirror? Erik Pro Audio 2 July 7th 03 11:44 PM