Jon Harris

Default 1-Bit Wave File?

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

Of course true "1-bit" audio is indistinguishable from
random noise.

Not really. DSD is one bit (at a very high sampling rate) and certainly doesn't
sound like random noise. Even with "regular" sample rates such as 44.1kHz, so
you can still recognize properly-dithered audio at very low bit depths (even 1
bit). The audio is buried in noise, just like it would sound if you recorded at
very low levels on a medium such as cassette tape, but the ear is pretty good at
pulling out the real sound from the noise.

Geoff Wood

Randy Yates wrote:

Bit-depth reducing to 1 bit does not convert PCM into a PWM signal.

On the other hand, I guess it does,

Absolutely it does not. A PWM signal has the property that at
time n*T the signal begins at a high state for p*T seconds and
ends at a low state for (1-p)*T seconds, 0 = p = 1. A 1-bit
bitstream does not have this property.

Many people seem to have this misconception that a delta sigma
bitstream is a PWM waveform. It is not - they are two different
animals.

I was alluding to the resultant signal being an asymetrical bitstream, like
a PWM signal. Though I did qualify that it bears no relationship to any
encoded signal.

One "1", followed by one "0", then two "1"s followed by a "0" looks PWM to
me.

geoff

Randy Yates

"Geoff Wood" -nospam writes:

Randy Yates wrote:

Bit-depth reducing to 1 bit does not convert PCM into a PWM signal.

On the other hand, I guess it does,

Absolutely it does not. A PWM signal has the property that at
time n*T the signal begins at a high state for p*T seconds and
ends at a low state for (1-p)*T seconds, 0 = p = 1. A 1-bit
bitstream does not have this property.

Many people seem to have this misconception that a delta sigma
bitstream is a PWM waveform. It is not - they are two different
animals.

I was alluding to the resultant signal being an asymetrical bitstream, like
a PWM signal.

I have no idea what you mean.

Though I did qualify that it bears no relationship to any
encoded signal.

What is "it"?

One "1", followed by one "0", then two "1"s followed by a "0" looks PWM to
me.

How so? It doesn't match any definition of PWM that I know of. When I talk
about PWM, I mean, e.g., the type of signal shown in figure one of

http://www.embedded.com/story/OEG20010821S0096

--
Randy Yates
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications

Don Pearce

On Fri, 21 May 2004 08:40:43 +1200, "Geoff Wood"
-nospam wrote:

Randy Yates wrote:

Bit-depth reducing to 1 bit does not convert PCM into a PWM signal.

On the other hand, I guess it does,

Absolutely it does not. A PWM signal has the property that at
time n*T the signal begins at a high state for p*T seconds and
ends at a low state for (1-p)*T seconds, 0 = p = 1. A 1-bit
bitstream does not have this property.

Many people seem to have this misconception that a delta sigma
bitstream is a PWM waveform. It is not - they are two different
animals.

I was alluding to the resultant signal being an asymetrical bitstream, like
a PWM signal. Though I did qualify that it bears no relationship to any
encoded signal.

One "1", followed by one "0", then two "1"s followed by a "0" looks PWM to
me.

geoff

Just to be sure - there are no digits in PWM - it is an analogies
system. It is sampled, to be sure, but not digitally.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Dick Pierce

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message ...

Of course true "1-bit" audio is indistinguishable from
random noise.

In a word, wrong. In two words, completely wrong.

A 1-bit stream is perfectly capable of holding quite intelligible
audio. It will have a broadband dynamic range of only 6 dB, but
that is quite enough for intelligible speech and easily recognizable
music.

You should maybe review works such as Lip****z and Vanderkooy's
"Resolution below the least significant bit in audio systems with
dither" from JAES before making such a pronouncement.

Jon Harris

"Randy Yates" wrote in message
"Geoff Wood" -nospam writes:

Randy Yates wrote:

[...]

I don't see any reason why you couldn't create the waveforms shown in Fig. 1
above with a 1-bit PCM waveform, assuming sufficient sample rate.

-Jon

Randy Yates

"Geoff Wood" -nospam writes:

Randy Yates wrote:

[...]

I'm not saying you can't generate PWM digitally. Yes, I agree that you can.

I'm saying that when you requantize a multi-bit waveform to 1 bit
(just a simple requantization, like when you requantize from 24 bits
to 16 bits, but this time you go all the way down to 1 bit), the
result will NOT be a PWM signal.

I'm also saying that if you perform a delta sigma conversion of a
multi-bit waveform to a 1-bit waveform (i.e., perform a delta sigma
D/A conversion and examine the 1-bit bistream before it is converted
to analog), the result will NOT be a PWM signal.
--
Randy Yates
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications
Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
, 919-472-1124

Jerry Avins

Dick Pierce wrote:

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message ...

Of course true "1-bit" audio is indistinguishable from
random noise.

In a word, wrong. In two words, completely wrong.

A 1-bit stream is perfectly capable of holding quite intelligible
audio. It will have a broadband dynamic range of only 6 dB, but
that is quite enough for intelligible speech and easily recognizable
music.

Please read the thread and don't try to justify balf-baked ideas. We all
know that data coming one bit at a time can be useful: this message will
be transmitted that way.

According to what he asked for, the OP wants to strip all but the sign
bit from a wave file in hopes of getting "that old movie sound".

You should maybe review works such as Lip****z and Vanderkooy's
"Resolution below the least significant bit in audio systems with
dither" from JAES before making such a pronouncement.

Why? It's irrelevant to this thread.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Paavo Jumppanen

Me wrote in message ...
Curious wrote:

I am looking for audio software that allows conversion of 16-bit WAVs
and 8-bit WAVs to 1-bit WAVs. I have used Adobe Audition and CakeWalk
Pyro. Neither of them work. CakeWalk does have a "bit-depth converter"
as a FX, however, when I try to use it, I get a runtime error and
Cakewalk automatically closes.

A + Comparator FlipFlop
I/P -------|\ +------+ Q
| ----------| D Q|---+---- Bitstream out
B +--|/ C +--| | |
| - | +------+ |
| | |
+-/\/\/\-----)-------------+
| R |
C === |
| Fs---+
0V

Several years ago I made a delay line to delay the audio for a walkie-talkie
so that the Tx VOX voice operated switch and Rx unmute operation would be
completed before the leading word spoken by the operator was transmitted.
I tried a bucket brigade device (MN3001) but had troubles with noise and
limitations on maximum delay.

I tried the cct above as a 1-bit encoder (mentioned in a mag somewhere),
clocked at over 200KHz. I do not know if the cct has a name.

The above circuit looks to me very much like an implementation of a
delta modulator, the RC circuit being a lossy integrator. This is the
forunner to delta-sigma isn't it?

Paavo Jumppanen
Author of HarBal Harmonic Balancer
http://www.har-bal.com
Paavo Jumppanen

Me wrote in message ...
Curious wrote:

I am looking for audio software that allows conversion of 16-bit WAVs
and 8-bit WAVs to 1-bit WAVs. I have used Adobe Audition and CakeWalk
Pyro. Neither of them work. CakeWalk does have a "bit-depth converter"
as a FX, however, when I try to use it, I get a runtime error and
Cakewalk automatically closes.

A + Comparator FlipFlop
I/P -------|\ +------+ Q
| ----------| D Q|---+---- Bitstream out
B +--|/ C +--| | |
| - | +------+ |
| | |
+-/\/\/\-----)-------------+
| R |
C === |
| Fs---+
0V

Several years ago I made a delay line to delay the audio for a walkie-talkie
so that the Tx VOX voice operated switch and Rx unmute operation would be
completed before the leading word spoken by the operator was transmitted.
I tried a bucket brigade device (MN3001) but had troubles with noise and
limitations on maximum delay.

I tried the cct above as a 1-bit encoder (mentioned in a mag somewhere),
clocked at over 200KHz. I do not know if the cct has a name.

The above circuit looks to me very much like an implementation of a
delta modulator, the RC circuit being a lossy integrator. This is the
forunner to delta-sigma isn't it?

Paavo Jumppanen
Author of HarBal Harmonic Balancer
http://www.har-bal.com

Paavo Jumppanen

Me wrote in message ...
Curious wrote:

I am looking for audio software that allows conversion of 16-bit WAVs
and 8-bit WAVs to 1-bit WAVs. I have used Adobe Audition and CakeWalk
Pyro. Neither of them work. CakeWalk does have a "bit-depth converter"
as a FX, however, when I try to use it, I get a runtime error and
Cakewalk automatically closes.

A + Comparator FlipFlop
I/P -------|\ +------+ Q
| ----------| D Q|---+---- Bitstream out
B +--|/ C +--| | |
| - | +------+ |
| | |
+-/\/\/\-----)-------------+
| R |
C === |
| Fs---+
0V

Several years ago I made a delay line to delay the audio for a walkie-talkie
so that the Tx VOX voice operated switch and Rx unmute operation would be
completed before the leading word spoken by the operator was transmitted.
I tried a bucket brigade device (MN3001) but had troubles with noise and
limitations on maximum delay.

I tried the cct above as a 1-bit encoder (mentioned in a mag somewhere),
clocked at over 200KHz. I do not know if the cct has a name.

The above circuit looks to me very much like an implementation of a
delta modulator, the RC circuit being a lossy integrator. This is the
forunner to delta-sigma isn't it?

Paavo Jumppanen
Author of HarBal Harmonic Balancer
http://www.har-bal.com
Paavo Jumppanen

Me wrote in message ...
Curious wrote:

I am looking for audio software that allows conversion of 16-bit WAVs
and 8-bit WAVs to 1-bit WAVs. I have used Adobe Audition and CakeWalk
Pyro. Neither of them work. CakeWalk does have a "bit-depth converter"
as a FX, however, when I try to use it, I get a runtime error and
Cakewalk automatically closes.

A + Comparator FlipFlop
I/P -------|\ +------+ Q
| ----------| D Q|---+---- Bitstream out
B +--|/ C +--| | |
| - | +------+ |
| | |
+-/\/\/\-----)-------------+
| R |
C === |
| Fs---+
0V

Several years ago I made a delay line to delay the audio for a walkie-talkie
so that the Tx VOX voice operated switch and Rx unmute operation would be
completed before the leading word spoken by the operator was transmitted.
I tried a bucket brigade device (MN3001) but had troubles with noise and
limitations on maximum delay.

I tried the cct above as a 1-bit encoder (mentioned in a mag somewhere),
clocked at over 200KHz. I do not know if the cct has a name.

The above circuit looks to me very much like an implementation of a
delta modulator, the RC circuit being a lossy integrator. This is the
forunner to delta-sigma isn't it?

Paavo Jumppanen
Author of HarBal Harmonic Balancer
http://www.har-bal.com
Richard Crowley

"Jon Harris" wrote in message
"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

Of course true "1-bit" audio is indistinguishable from
random noise.

Not really. DSD is one bit (at a very high sampling rate) and certainly

doesn't
sound like random noise. Even with "regular" sample rates such as

44.1kHz, so
you can still recognize properly-dithered audio at very low bit depths

(even 1
bit). The audio is buried in noise, just like it would sound if you

recorded at
very low levels on a medium such as cassette tape, but the ear is pretty

good at
pulling out the real sound from the noise.

While theoretically possible, this seems light-years away from
the OP's original discussion, hence my "shocking" statement.

AUDIO FILE EDIT: HELP PLS! DL General 2 February 21st 04 11:05 PM
What Software for Editing Sound on PC SPS22 Audio Opinions 123 January 27th 04 12:58 AM
wave file to cd r Randy General 3 January 15th 04 04:57 PM
wave file duration incorrect x-cons Pro Audio 7 December 18th 03 05:32 PM
unknown audio file format M.Laymon General 1 October 31st 03 03:25 PM