Richard Faulkner

Default Linn Sondek LP12 - No Line Level

Hi,

I have just sold a Linn Sondek LP12 and the buyer has emailed me saying
that he has connected it to his amp and is getting no line level, (and
presumably no sound).

It was working perfectly with my CyrusIII amp so, before responding, I
thought I would ask what the possible problems could be.

I am not a hifi buff, and usually find that things work when you plug
them into the right sockets.

Many Thanks

--
Richard Faulkner
Harry Lavo

"Richard Faulkner" wrote in message
Hi,

I have just sold a Linn Sondek LP12 and the buyer has emailed me saying
that he has connected it to his amp and is getting no line level, (and
presumably no sound).

It was working perfectly with my CyrusIII amp so, before responding, I
thought I would ask what the possible problems could be.

I am not a hifi buff, and usually find that things work when you plug
them into the right sockets.

The turntable needs to be plugged into a phono preamplifier in order to work
properly. Most older amplifiers, and a few current high-end preamps have
them built in, but if not and he plugs into a line level input he will hear
practically nothing, and what he does hear will sound awful since it lacks
proper RIAA equalization.

If his amp doesn't have a built in phono preamp, he will have to buy an
external used unit. They are available from many manufacturers and on the
used market.

Hope this helps.
Richard Faulkner

In message , Harry Lavo
writes
[...]

Thanks for the help.

Very much confirms the answer I got from uk.rec.audio.

Anyway.. I've given him his money back and will sell to someone who
knows what they are doing, (now that I know how it works g)

--
Richard Faulkner

Harry Lavo

"scott and barb" wrote in message
..

Seems to come up a lot these days. I've run into it when selling a Marcoff
PPA-2 headamp on Audiogon, and again in the Vinyl section of the Audio
Asylum. But when you think of it, it is logical. Many people are now in
their early forties who have never had a phonocentric stereo system. And we
are not born with innate knowledge of cartridge equalization, VTA's,
vinyl-damping, mc vs mm output and required gain, etc. So those of us who
do know vinyl try to help those just getting into it...they almost aways
become enthusiasts once the make the entry.
[...]

Russ Button

scott and barb wrote:
Are we getting that far away from vinyl that younger people have no
conception of a phono preamp?

It's worse than that. How many people in your town do you know
that still play vinyl at all, let alone people who are high-end
audiophiles?! And worse still, have you noticed that the audio
shops are primarily home theatre shops now?

I took my LP-12 into the Linn dealer shop, in San Rafael, CA,
a few months ago. It's in a very upscale area. A lot of people
with a lot of money. 95% of their business is home theatre.
They still have plenty of excellent high-end audio lines, but
the big deal is now home theatre.

This is not just a matter of interest in vinyl dying. It's interest
in 2 channel audio that's dying!

Young people listen to mp3 sources played back on their ipod players
or on their computer speakers. CDs are too much trouble now, let
alone the effort it takes to properly listen to vinyl, not to mention
the care one should be taking with vinyl.

Another problem that audio dealers have is that they compete with
all the good used gear that is out there. Let's face it. There
really haven't been significant advances in analog electronics for
some time now. Good tube amps still hold their value and are
typically less money on EBay than they are from a retailer.

Why spend $5k on a new power amp when you can score a used
Rowland Research amp for half that money? Audiophiles typically
take very good care of their equipment. People who care a great
deal about sound quality are also meticulous in the way they
use their gear.

We 2 channel audiophiles are a dying breed. The vinyl guys
are even fewer in number.

Russ
Gene Poon

scott and barb wrote:

Are we getting that far away from vinyl that younger people have no
conception of a phono preamp?

Young wannabe technician said to me one day, as I fiddled with the
intricacies of a old and recalcitrant Dual 1229:

"How can that play music? All it really does is SPIN."

-GP
HondaCB450SC

This is perhaps the main reason that Linn advises against their customers
setting up their own systems. While I personally don't agree, I can see their
reason just the same. If one is knowledgeable enough, then setting up a LP12
turntable isn't really too difficult (though it can take some time to get it
right). If someone doesn't know what a phono stage is, then it is advisable
to have someone knowledgeable set up the system. My thoughts.
Nousaine

Russ Button wrote:

scott and barb wrote:
[...]

Actually that is the typical cycle of technological substitution and
obsolescence. When a new replacement technolgy is introduced on the horizon the
existing technology nearly instantly gets improved and prices fall
dramatically. For example we knew in the early 70s that radial tracking
tonearms were superior to pivoted arms but while there were a few radial
trackers on the market they were extra-ordinarily expensive and often fussy to
use. But once CD hit the market you could buy an inexpensive close-n-play
record player with a radial tracking tonearm.

Then, as the replaced technology hits the residual-use phase prices again rise
as older customers demand equipment for archival and playback of existing
colections and sometimes new uses of the older technology get implemented
(think of turntablists.)

Supply is maintained as as manufacturing plants of the old technology are
fully-amortized and can be purchased for pennies on the dollar and because
rising prices are less resisted by residual use customers there are excellent
margins available for the supply of even small markets (nobody is building new
manufacturing facilities to supply tiny markets) because there are few
competing suppliers.

As for the passing of 2-channel customers many people forget that older basic
formats don't disappear with subsequent format introduction. For example mono
didn't disappear with the introduction of stereo, it just got better over the
years, and we now listen to more mono than we ever did with the expansion of
broadcast media .... news, weather, talk shows anyone.

Likewise 2-channel hasn't and will never disappear even with the advent of
Dolby Digital, DTS, SACDand DVD-A. It's just made better with Dolby Digital
Pro-Logic IIx and DTS Neo6 and Lexicon Logic 7. There's far too much legacy
media for 2-channel to ever disappear.

What has happened is that modern customers enjoy their 2-channel programming in
Stereo or an enhanced up-mix in their Home Theater systems.

It is true that the vinyl 2-channel only system fell into the residual-use
phase of the technology life cycle and the retailer channel reflect this.

But, personally I continue to enjoy my stereo material in Logic 7 on a daily
basis.