Jason McCabe

Default 2-way or 3-way components?

I'm still trying to figure out what fronts to install in my '05 Jeep
Wrangler and how to install them. Again, I currently have a set of 6.5"
2-way components (CDT Audio) that I would like to keep.

The only place I think I can fit the 6.5" woofer is in the bottom corner of
each door, firing straight into the seat cushion. Clearly this isn't an
ideal location, but what if I upgrade the 2-ways to 3-ways? Then the woofer
would only be playing the less-directional 200 Hz and below, and the mid
would be in the better factory location.

Or would I be better off just keeping the 2-way config and replacing the
6.5" drivers with a 4" or 5.25" set? Those I can make fit into the factory
locations.

Thanks for any advice -- I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out
how to make this vehicle sound good.

Wht not keep the cdt's and cut the hole bigger so they can fit or build
some sort of baffle/adapter. ??

Jason McCabe

Well, to make them fit I'd have to cut metal and A/C ducts:

http://jason.mccabe.home.comcast.net/left_speaker.jpg
http://jason.mccabe.home.comcast.net/right_speaker.jpg

The speakers can't move in any direction but out in those pics. Even if I
could cram them in there, they'd be half covered by dash and glove
compartment. The situation would be a little better with 5.25s:

http://www.offroadtoystore.com/Merch...T-IntAcc-Sound

wrote in message
oups.com...
Wht not keep the cdt's and cut the hole bigger so they can fit or build
some sort of baffle/adapter. ??

Oh, I thought you had a empty spot inthe doors. Can you make a hole in
the doors? Also, do they make kick panels(Q-forms) for that car? That
maybe an option too.

Jason McCabe

The only spot where the 6.5" will fit in the doors is down low and towards
the back of the Jeep, where it would be firing right into the bottom of the
seat. Sure, I can cut a hole there but I wouldn't want to rely on a speaker
in that location for mids and highs.

I haven't seen any kick panels for it. I don't think they would really be
practical anyway, because of the geometry of the car -- the sound would be
blocked by people's legs.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh, I thought you had a empty spot inthe doors. Can you make a hole in
the doors? Also, do they make kick panels(Q-forms) for that car? That
maybe an option too.

You would think. But they make a ton of kicks that house 6.5 comp. and
they sound way better than door locations. Imaging is really nice too.

joe.ker

Just put some 4" components speakers back into the factory locations. The
metal plate that held the OEM speakers is a little larger that a regular 4x6
so you may be able to make a plate to hold 5-1/4" components.

--
The Clown Prince of Car Stereo

"Jason McCabe" wrote in message
[...]

Brandonb

Have you considered a sound bar or two? They hole 5.25" speakers and you
can still have the 4" speakers up front. They can be positioned pretty
much anywhere on the roll bars overhead. The imaging comes off a bit
high, but the 4" speakers up front can help drop it a bit. You can also
play around with tweeter locations fairly easily to help out. Also,
unless the '05 is much different than previous models, there is quite a
bit of room up under the dash for things like amps, alarms,
EQ/Crossover/Multimedia "brains". More than it would appear from a
casual glance.

Brandonb

Jason McCabe wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out what fronts to install in my '05 Jeep
Wrangler and how to install them. Again, I currently have a set of 6.5"
2-way components (CDT Audio) that I would like to keep.

The only place I think I can fit the 6.5" woofer is in the bottom corner of
each door, firing straight into the seat cushion. Clearly this isn't an
ideal location, but what if I upgrade the 2-ways to 3-ways? Then the woofer
would only be playing the less-directional 200 Hz and below, and the mid
would be in the better factory location.

Or would I be better off just keeping the 2-way config and replacing the
6.5" drivers with a 4" or 5.25" set? Those I can make fit into the factory
locations.

Thanks for any advice -- I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out
how to make this vehicle sound good.

Jason McCabe

Yeah, I'm considering that option too. They actually make sound pods for
6.5" speakers so that gives me more options. BTW, if I did go with 5.25"
2-ways, I could fit them in the factory spots with some adapter plates that
they make.

So do you think a 3-way 6.5" setup with 6.5s in the pods would be better
than a 2-way 5.25" setup? I think it would definitely play louder with less
distortion, but I don't want to screw up the soundstage too much.

While I'm considering using these pods, what if I put the 6.5s in the
existing pods (above the back seat)? Again I'm not sure if the
non-directionality of sounds at 200 Hz and below would make that okay. That
would put them *really* far away from the 4" and tweeter though so my gut
feeling is that's a bad idea.

You're right, there is quite a bit of space under the dash for small amps,
etc. but I think it would take a lot of work to rig up something solid for
them to actually mount to. For now I'm planning on putting my amps under
the back seat along with some kind of lock to make it hard for thieves to
raise the back seat.