psongman

Default External inputs on my mixer won't blend with my voice and instruments?

Hi, I am having some routing problems. I have a Tascam TMD1000 and
want to run the sound out of my Fostex VF08 or CD player in to the
external inputs on my mixer, play along and record or play out via the
external outs. I hook the Fostex up using line to RCA, then in to the
external inputs on top of mixer, plays through headphones fine but not
going out to my receiver (am using an old ONKYO), then to my speakers.
I am also using the RCA's out to the receiver, is that the problem.
What I have been doing is sending the spdif out to the spdif in and
patching to channels 9 and 10. There must be some little thing I am
doing wrong....why can't the signal in from the external source play
through the mixer while I pick and sing and send to another source for
amplifying or recording. I am quite positive it is not in the bussing
as all seems set up right from my checking in to it. Anwway, hopefully
enough info for a Eureka moment, that I am sure will be heading my
way, in a message or two. Please help me out with this as I was going
to burn a CD and play along with it when I perform but this would be
dysfunctional, obviously, until this is resolved, IAT, psongman
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Hi, I am having some routing problems. I have a Tascam TMD1000 and
want to run the sound out of my Fostex VF08 or CD player in to the
external inputs on my mixer, play along and record or play out via the
external outs. I hook the Fostex up using line to RCA, then in to the
external inputs on top of mixer, plays through headphones fine but not
going out to my receiver (am using an old ONKYO), then to my speakers.

I believe that the inputs to the mixer that you're using are those
that go only to the monitor section. They're intended for listening to
a playback of a mix, or a CD for comparision. You need to connect your
pre-recorded source to a pair of analog line inputs to the mixer.

You need to connect it one of the 1/4" Line Input jacks (5 through 8)
using RCA-1/4" cables or adapters. Since you already have cables, I'd
suggest that you just pick up a couple of adapters at your local Radio
Shack.

I am also using the RCA's out to the receiver, is that the problem.
What I have been doing is sending the spdif out to the spdif in and
patching to channels 9 and 10.

Does your receiver have an S/PDIF input? If you're just using your
receiver for monitoring, connect a pair of line inputs on the receiver
to the Monitor Output jacks on the mixer, again using 1/4"-RCA
adapters or cables.

Signal flow thorugh any digital mixer, and particularly the TMD1000,
is quite difficult to understand. It doesn't help that the instruction
manual isn't all that clear. You really need to spend some time
learning your way through all the gozintas and gozoutas, and how
things are routed (or not).

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

psongman

Hi, thanks to whichever MRivers, you are, have laughed about your
opening comments for the past few years. Yeah, I see that it must be
just for playing through via monitors, but why doesn't it go out to
the receiver and the speakers....see, let's say you come over and
bring a burned CD with a couple of your songs on it...you mean you and
I can't play along with it through the external inputs, unless we plug
the CD player into an elaborate cable changing procedure and insert in
channels, 1-16 somewhere? Somebody has made a major design mistake,
can't you do this with analog ones, like Mackie and Behringer. I still
think there is a mini button that I am not pushing, if not, all the
engineers at these mixer making companies, need to fired. I mean, it
says external inputs on top, you should be able to plug in your
guitar, your mic and play along, hmm, well, enough ranting and raving.
I do get it to work a way I figured out. I surely should have bought a
regular mixer first, may buy one anyways, as these digital ones are
really hard to figure out, though the effects section alone is the
worth the moolah, and the many inputs. Thanks again, maybe a side
thought will come up that we have not explored. Gratefully, Psongman

(Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:znr1100871697k@trad...
In article
writes:

[...]

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

...see, let's say you come over and
bring a burned CD with a couple of your songs on it...you mean you and
I can't play along with it through the external inputs, unless we plug
the CD player into an elaborate cable changing procedure and insert in
channels, 1-16 somewhere?

This is on the DM1000, right? Well you have to connect it somewhere.
Connect it to the External inputs on the mixer and when you want to
listen to it, push the EXT button that's next to the meters.

I am also using the RCA's out to the receiver, is that the problem.
What I have been doing is sending the spdif out to the spdif in and
patching to channels 9 and 10.

I believe you should be connecting the Monitor Outputs to your
receiver. Then, you'll hear whatever you select from those buttons
that select what goes to the headphones. The Stereo Outputs (RCA and
XLR) are, like it says on the top panel, L and R (Left and Right mix
outputs). In order to get something to come out those outputs, you
need to actually put it into the mixer section and assign the channel
to the L/R mix. And if you do that, whatever you have going into the
mixer through the assigned channels will come out the Monitor outputs
when you press the L/R button.

Like they say in the trade, RTFM, even though it's difficult.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

psongman

Hello again, yeah, thanks for all the assistance. I guess you do have
to use the monitor outs to the receiver or amp. I wanted to save those
for monitoring, haah, simple needs eh! Anyway, I did find out buying a
digital receiver would solve many of these issues and better setup for
monitoring with the Fostex VF08 as it has spdif out. Well, thanks
again to all who inputted, the newsgroup has helped me immensely since
I discovered it a few years ago. Making music, Amen, Psongman