JCBrunelli

Default Liquid inside a tweeter

I own a Moudaunt-Short MS10i Classic bookshelf loudspeaker. Recently
one of the tweeters stop working. I was able to fix it since it was a
broken wire in the coil connection. However, in this disassembling
process I found (in the two tweeters) a dark brown liquid inside the
circular groove in the magnet where the coil is supposed to stay. Is
this liquid part of the tweeter mechanism (and the coil is dipped on
it) or is just moisture accumulated over the years? I am afraid to dry
it up. Any help would be very welcome. Thanks very much. Jose Carlos
Brunelli
Peter Larsen

Karl Uppiano wrote:

"JCBrunelli" wrote in message
m...

I own a Moudaunt-Short MS10i Classic bookshelf loudspeaker. Recently
one of the tweeters stop working. I was able to fix it since it was a
broken wire in the coil connection. However, in this disassembling
process I found (in the two tweeters) a dark brown liquid inside the
circular groove in the magnet where the coil is supposed to stay. Is
this liquid part of the tweeter mechanism (and the coil is dipped on
it) or is just moisture accumulated over the years? I am afraid to dry
it up. Any help would be very welcome. Thanks very much. Jose Carlos
Brunelli

The liquid is most likely ferrofluid coolant. It is supposed conduct heat
away from the coil.

And - surprise surprise - more importantly to dampen the resonance
frequency of the unit. DO NOT REMOVE IT, it is required for the
cross-over to work as intented and thus VERY MUCH a part of the tweeter
mechanism. The same unit, with no ferrofluidics, will need a much more
complicated cross-over and will have a gravely different impedance
curve.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Pooh Bear

JCBrunelli wrote:

I own a Moudaunt-Short MS10i Classic bookshelf loudspeaker. Recently
one of the tweeters stop working. I was able to fix it since it was a
broken wire in the coil connection. However, in this disassembling
process I found (in the two tweeters) a dark brown liquid inside the
circular groove in the magnet where the coil is supposed to stay. Is
this liquid part of the tweeter mechanism (and the coil is dipped on
it) or is just moisture accumulated over the years? I am afraid to dry
it up. Any help would be very welcome. Thanks very much. Jose Carlos
Brunelli

Explanation here

http://www.ferrotec.com/usa/audio_fluids_overview.htm

*Don't* 'dry it up' !