nospam256K

Default What's the story with Winamp and WMA files?

Based on what I've read, the current version of Winamp (as well as all
versions after version 2.5, I believe) are either unable to read/play
WMA files, or are able to play them but are not able to output/convert
them to other formats such as WAV or MP3.

Is this really true? And was this caused by some legal bullying from
Microsoft?
If yes, why was Winamp singled out? After all, there are several other
programs that can convert a WMA file to WAV or MP3, so why are they
allowed to do it but Winamp isn't?
Chris Lanier [MVP]

LOL. You never heard of an FAQ? Nullsoft (i.e AOL) has a good one.

I would suggest downloading Winamp and play whatever WMA file you wish. In
addition Nullsoft license WMRM for Winamp, so you can even play protected
files IIRC.

--
Chris Lanier
Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
"nospam256K" wrote in message
om...
Based on what I've read, the current version of Winamp (as well as all
versions after version 2.5, I believe) are either unable to read/play
WMA files, or are able to play them but are not able to output/convert
them to other formats such as WAV or MP3.

Is this really true? And was this caused by some legal bullying from
Microsoft?
If yes, why was Winamp singled out? After all, there are several other
programs that can convert a WMA file to WAV or MP3, so why are they
allowed to do it but Winamp isn't?

Chaos Master

nospam256K puts out:
Based on what I've read, the current version of Winamp (as well as all
versions after version 2.5, I believe) are either unable to read/play
WMA files, or are able to play them but are not able to output/convert
them to other formats such as WAV or MP3.

My friend used to play WMA's with Winamp 2.9, it worked.

Since now I don't almost listen to WMA, and use Foobar2000...

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Brazil.
"People told me I can't dress like a fairy.

The Evanescen(t/ce) HP: http://marreka.no-ip.com
Iain Cheyne

Chaos Master wrote in
t:

Since now I don't almost listen to WMA, and use Foobar2000...

Foobar does play WMAs, but you have to use the Special installer and
install the latest WMA codec, if you do not have it already.

--
Iain
Please check www.pricelessware.org, the FAQ and Google Groups before
dadiOH

nospam256K wrote:
Based on what I've read, the current version of Winamp (as well as
all versions after version 2.5, I believe) are either unable to
read/play WMA files, or are able to play them but are not able to
output/convert them to other formats such as WAV or MP3.

Winamp will play any file format for which it has an input plug-in. That
includes WMA, the plug-in for which is included with Winamp. Or, at least
with Winamp 2.5 which is what I use.

BTW, no program "plays" WMA/MP3 files in the sense that you are using...the
files are decoded to wave and *that* is what the sound card uses to spit out
sound.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Chaos Master

Iain Cheyne puts out:

Since now I don't almost listen to WMA, and use Foobar2000...

Foobar does play WMAs, but you have to use the Special installer and
install the latest WMA codec, if you do not have it already.

I know, I meant that I almost don't have .WMA's at all.
I just don't like the idea of a Microsoft standard for audio files, therefore I
avoid WMA.

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Brazil.
"People told me I can't dress like a fairy.
I say, I'm in a rock band and I can do what the hell I want!"
-- Amy Lee

The Evanescen(t/ce) HP: http://marreka.no-ip.com
Papageno

"Chaos Master" wrote in message
t...
I know, I meant that I almost don't have .WMA's at all.
I just don't like the idea of a Microsoft standard for audio files,
therefore I avoid WMA.

Bravo. Unless there's just no alternative, I prefer open-standard formats.
No REAL here. No WMA. No way Jose.

Mike Williams [MVP]

Papageno wrote:
"Chaos Master" wrote in message
t...

I know, I meant that I almost don't have .WMA's at all.
I just don't like the idea of a Microsoft standard for audio files,
therefore I avoid WMA.

Bravo. Unless there's just no alternative, I prefer open-standard formats.
No REAL here. No WMA. No way Jose.

MP3 is not an open standard either. It's controlled by Fraunhofer IIS-A.
Chaos Master

Mike Williams [MVP] said:

MP3 is not an open standard either. It's controlled by Fraunhofer IIS-A.

I know, I just don't like the idea of a _Microsoft_ standard for audio.

This may mean the file somehow would not play in OS other than Windows.

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Brazil.
"People told me I can't dress like a fairy.
I say, I'm in a rock band and I can do what the hell I want!"
-- Amy Lee

The Evanescen(t/ce) HP: http://marreka.no-ip.com
Mike Williams [MVP]

Chaos Master wrote:
Mike Williams [MVP] said:

MP3 is not an open standard either. It's controlled by Fraunhofer IIS-A.

I know, I just don't like the idea of a _Microsoft_ standard for audio.

This may mean the file somehow would not play in OS other than Windows.

Which is hardly something Microsoft would want. Apple has more limitations.

NeoRenegade

nospam256K wrote:

Based on what I've read, the current version of Winamp (as well as all
versions after version 2.5, I believe) are either unable to read/play
WMA files, or are able to play them but are not able to output/convert
them to other formats such as WAV or MP3.

Is this really true? And was this caused by some legal bullying from
Microsoft?
If yes, why was Winamp singled out? After all, there are several other
programs that can convert a WMA file to WAV or MP3, so why are they
allowed to do it but Winamp isn't?

Other programs are not allowed to convert WMA to other formats either.
It's just that since other programs are free, not corporate-owned and
not immensely popular, they won't be legally pursued.

As far as I know, Winamp has trouble playing some DRM'ed files, but you
should know that the whole point of DRM is to give you trouble using
what you paid for.

- NR

I just don't like the idea of a Microsoft standard for audio files,
therefore I avoid WMA.

Bravo. Unless there's just no alternative, I prefer open-standard formats.
No REAL here. No WMA. No way Jose.

MP3 is not an open standard either. It's controlled by Fraunhofer IIS-A.

If you really want an open source, uncontrollable
format, just use Ogg Vorbis. It's gaining support
suprisingly quickly.