Stevie R

Default Is there any need to disconnect the battery?

I am about to install my amp and I have read that I should disconnect the
battery before I attempt to install it. However, is it not just the same
thing if I don't put the fuse in till the last minute? What is the
difference. The amp will still not be turned on. Thanks

eidsvikDM

You are absolutely right. However won't you be running a live wire
from your battery? AND a ground wire to complete the loop? Could be
sparks right? Sparks are the last thing I want when I'm upside down,
on my back, whatever installing my gear! Disconnecting the battery is
simple enough, just do it man!
Brandon Buckner

Yeah, the concern is accidentally shorting and damaging equipment or
causing bodily harm. If you've got a fuse up front on the amps power
cable already (which you should) then just leaving it out and making
sure there's no way to short the open ends of the wires is fine. You'll
have to get to that point at some stage anyway. Its easier and less
dangerous to put the fuse in when the power and ground wires are already
hooked up to the amp, than trying to screw down live wires to the amp or
battery.

Brandonb

Stevie R wrote:
I am about to install my amp and I have read that I should disconnect the
battery before I attempt to install it. However, is it not just the same
thing if I don't put the fuse in till the last minute? What is the
difference. The amp will still not be turned on. Thanks

David

If you're really lucky, you might deploy the supplemental restraint
sytem and be out many hundreds of dollars.

Stevie R wrote:
I am about to install my amp and I have read that I should disconnect the
battery before I attempt to install it. However, is it not just the same
thing if I don't put the fuse in till the last minute? What is the
difference. The amp will still not be turned on. Thanks

Ryan Richards \(Diesel Breath\)

Also in some cars the air bag has been know to go off while installing the
stereo...

Later,
Ryan (www.dieselbreath.com)

"Stevie R" wrote in message
I am about to install my amp and I have read that I should disconnect the
battery before I attempt to install it. However, is it not just the same
thing if I don't put the fuse in till the last minute? What is the
difference. The amp will still not be turned on. Thanks

FogHornLegHorn

disconnect the battery.
install amp,
check connections.
reconnect battery, install fuse.
turn on the car and jam.

FHLH.... always disconnect that battery.

"Stevie R" wrote in message
I am about to install my amp and I have read that I should disconnect the
battery before I attempt to install it. However, is it not just the same
thing if I don't put the fuse in till the last minute? What is the
difference. The amp will still not be turned on. Thanks

JAL (Just Another Lurker)

Not to mention breaking your neck, if your face happens to be near the
dash when the airbag goes off.

Stevie R wrote:
I am about to install my amp and I have read that I should disconnect the
battery before I attempt to install it. However, is it not just the same
thing if I don't put the fuse in till the last minute? What is the
difference. The amp will still not be turned on. Thanks

Battery backup for Sony clock radio glad heart General 3 April 12th 04 04:48 AM
Capacitors Kim Inglar Car Audio 37 November 4th 03 06:54 PM
bridging and output question SmilingSinner Car Audio 1 July 22nd 03 12:45 PM
Car Battery Tips Bill Darden Car Audio 4 July 18th 03 06:23 AM
Voltage drop on ignition Walter McCann Car Audio 7 July 4th 03 03:46 AM