Default Any Sony CD Guru out there?

Hi All,

I've got a Sony CDP-XA7ES CD player. From what I've read it was an
extremeley good player in it's day, and still considered one of the
best cd players today. The problem with mine is that the laser has
gone, and Sony don't carry it anymore. I have found a site
www.partstore.com who carry it. It's about $160USD or so, but they
won't ship outside the US. Have found the same optical pick up on some
asian sites, but when I contacted them, they don't have it. My
questions are is the player worth repairing? Can I get some good ones
on the second hand market which is as good at a good price? And does
anyone know of another source for the optical pickup? Or an alternative
which could be used instead?

Thanks in advanced.

Yung

Trevor Wilson

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I've got a Sony CDP-XA7ES CD player. From what I've read it was an
extremeley good player in it's day, and still considered one of the
best cd players today. The problem with mine is that the laser has
gone, and Sony don't carry it anymore. I have found a site
www.partstore.com who carry it. It's about $160USD or so, but they
won't ship outside the US. Have found the same optical pick up on some
asian sites, but when I contacted them, they don't have it. My
questions are is the player worth repairing?

**ABSOLUTELY! Sony have turned out some shockers over the years, but the
XA7ES is not one of them. A superb sounding and beautifully constructed CD
player.

Can I get some good ones
on the second hand market which is as good at a good price? And does
anyone know of another source for the optical pickup? Or an alternative
which could be used instead?

**Keep trying with the US source.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
Hi All,

I've got a Sony CDP-XA7ES CD player. From what I've read

it
was an extremeley good player in it's day, and still
considered one of the best cd players today. The problem

with
mine is that the laser has gone, and Sony don't carry it
anymore. I have found a site www.partstore.com who carry

it.
It's about $160USD or so, but they won't ship outside the

US.
Have found the same optical pick up on some asian sites,

but
when I contacted them, they don't have it. My questions

are is
the player worth repairing?

Probably not.

Can I get some good ones on the
second hand market which is as good at a good price?

You can easily get one that is just as good new, for the
price of the laser assembly.

Trevor Wilson

wrote in message
oups.com
Hi All,

I've got a Sony CDP-XA7ES CD player. From what I've read

it
was an extremeley good player in it's day, and still
considered one of the best cd players today. The problem

with
mine is that the laser has gone, and Sony don't carry it
anymore. I have found a site www.partstore.com who carry

it.
It's about $160USD or so, but they won't ship outside the

US.
Have found the same optical pick up on some asian sites,

but
when I contacted them, they don't have it. My questions

are is
the player worth repairing?

Probably not.

**I'll certainly pay the price of a laser for a non-functioning XA7ES.
They're superb CD players.

Can I get some good ones on the
second hand market which is as good at a good price?

You can easily get one that is just as good new, for the
price of the laser assembly.

**Wanna bet?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

You might look for a dead one that has a good laser assembly on a
marketplace newsgroup, or have someone in the US freight forward it for
you. Probably a $160 new CD player will not be as good as your Sony-it
might be but I'd not bet on it.

The bottom line is that build cost usually will out-your player
probably cost more to build than new ones do. While some of that may be
offset by genuine improvement, materials and processes haven't greatly
changed in-what,15 years?- so a more cheaply built unit won't last as
long. This is certainly true of VCR's-given replacement parts of
quality, you cannot buy one new as good as what was made in the first
years of front-load production. It's true of washing machines, car
engines, and many other things as well.

robert casey

questions are is the player worth repairing? Can I get some good ones
on the second hand market which is as good at a good price? And does
anyone know of another source for the optical pickup? Or an alternative
which could be used instead?

There's always ebay. Either a complete nice looking unit, or
a beat up one you could swap the transport out of. A problem
of what would need readjusting might come up, though. You
could transplant all the boards and transport together, or
transplant any damaged covers or trim.
Harry Lavo

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I've got a Sony CDP-XA7ES CD player. From what I've read it was an
extremeley good player in it's day, and still considered one of the
best cd players today. The problem with mine is that the laser has
gone, and Sony don't carry it anymore. I have found a site
www.partstore.com who carry it. It's about $160USD or so, but they
won't ship outside the US. Have found the same optical pick up on some
asian sites, but when I contacted them, they don't have it. My
questions are is the player worth repairing?

**ABSOLUTELY! Sony have turned out some shockers over the years, but the
XA7ES is not one of them. A superb sounding and beautifully constructed CD
player.

I'll second Trevor on this one. I'm holding onto a Phillips 880 and looking
for a laser replacement for the same reason. The Sony is a superbly built
unit. Back in the day, I did a head-to-head of theat unit, the Phillips,
and the top of the line Denon (can't remember the model number). The
Phillips and the Sony ran very close together...the Sony was probably more
neutral and had the signature Sony house sound. I preferred the Phillips
slightly and so bought it, but could have been happy with the Sony. Nothing
being sold below $2000 today is built like these units were. Replace the
optical pickup and it'll be good for another 15 years.

I'll second Trevor on this one. I'm holding onto a Phillips 880 and looking
for a laser replacement for the same reason. The Sony is a superbly built
unit. Back in the day, I did a head-to-head of theat unit, the Phillips,
and the top of the line Denon (can't remember the model number). The
Phillips and the Sony ran very close together...the Sony was probably more
neutral and had the signature Sony house sound. I preferred the Phillips
slightly and so bought it, but could have been happy with the Sony. Nothing
being sold below $2000 today is built like these units were. Replace the
optical pickup and it'll be good for another 15 years.

In all consumer products-and many capital ones too-there is a quality
curve. The best are made at some point where they have the tech pretty
well down but the pressure to cut costs hasn't set in and there is a
desire not to monkey with the good thing. Once cost cutting sets in,
quality goes out the door because given the time value of money people
perceive that the cheaper one is "good enough" and the delta in price
can be reinvested to replace it: also, the buyer doesn't understand the
difference between the new one and the old one and so the new shiny
warranted one looks pretty good. (How many new car buyers appreciate
the difference between a well machined heavy sand cast cylinder head
and a near-net-shape lost foam one, which has virtually no excess meat
to machine and depends on an epoxy coating to keep coolant out of the
oil?)

If you cut the cost and hold up the price, you make more profit. Of
course the price comes down eventually, but as long as cost reduction
leads price fall you benefit in absolute as well as relative terms.

A lot of this is perception. When the customer perceives that the old
one was better, he gets conservative and less likely to buy, and our
economy is set up so you buy, buy, buy. You cannot buy a well made
consumer-format video cassette recorder new, as far as I know, at any
price-the well made decks are all strictly professional format. You
cannot buy a really well-made 35mm camera anymore, except the M Leica,
and that's been cheapened significantly from early ones. Although much
high end audio equipment has design flaws or is overpriced, it's the
only source of reasonably well built audio equipment suitable for home
use for the most part. (A few pro pieces are suitable for home use, but
relatively few-and much pro equipment today is really prosumer, e.g.
anything from Behringer, Alesis, Mackie, and many products of legit
American companies like Crown.) You cannot buy a portable shortwave
radio as well made as the Zenith Trans-Oceanics(although certain Sonys
and Sangeans do outperform themn in some ways).

It's a long and sad list.

Harry Lavo

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

About two years ago I listed on eBay a video unit that consisted of a top
quality (circa '82) Panasonic portable video camera, along with a two piece
portable video recorder. Picture quality is superb; low light sensitiviy
was as good as any Panasonic has ever made. Build quality was
excellent...this was top of the line gear that together retailed for close
to $2500 in 1980. It didn't have autofocus, but otherwise met and exceeded
in picture and sound quality any tape I have seen made in the last ten
years. I put it on eBay at $20, and with no reserve, in a ten-day auction.
I described it well (much more detailed than here). I felt sure some
aspiring film student or amateur videographer would grab it. I didn't get a
single bid.

But I won't "throw it". I simply can't bring myself to destroy perfectly
good, superbly built gear.

Arny Krueger

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in
message
wrote in message

[...]

No Trevor, not as long as you're in Australia and I'm in
Michigan.

Trevor Wilson

wrote in message

[...]

**Thought so. You should also factor in the following:

* The Sony XA7ES has a number of technical features which set it apart from
cheap CD players. These include:
Proper relay muting.
Decent output stage, which does not include primitive, 4558-style output
ICs.
* I've actually performed a DBT with the XA7ES and a couple of other players
(quite respectable, but not cheap ones) and the AX7ES acquitted itself very
well indeed. One of those players was the very impressive XA2ES.

Have you heard the XA7ES?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Arny isn't too keen on actually listening to audio products, since
they should all sound the same according to tests.

Arny Krueger wrote:

You can easily get one that is just as good new, for the
price of the laser assembly.

Can you please recommend some new players comparable to the XA7ES for
$200USD?

Thanks

You have to specify whether you mean "comparable in manufacturing
quality and refinement" or "comparable in sound according to Arny".
Since Arny believes all CD players sound the same Arny will be able to
recommend just about every product for that price that will play CD's.

But, of course, it will be more interesting to hear Arny explain it
himself...

ric

I've got a Sony CDP-XA7ES CD player. From what I've read it was an
extremeley good player in it's day, and still considered one of the
best cd players today. The problem with mine is that the laser has
gone, and Sony don't carry it anymore. I have found a site
www.partstore.com who carry it. It's about $160USD or so, but they
won't ship outside the US.

Have that site ship to a friend in the US, who in turn ships it
to you. Costlier (maybe not), but if you want the part...
ric

Arny Krueger wrote:

You can easily get one that is just as good new, for the
price of the laser assembly.

A player as good as the XA7ES for $160 USD? Which one, praytell?
Clyde Slick

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 11 Jul 2005 17:27:35 -0700, wrote:

Arny isn't too keen on actually listening to audio products, since
they should all sound the same according to tests.

In level-matched blind listening tests, these three
players sound identical - as any reasonable person would expect.

Damn it, there are those pesky expectation effects again.

paul packer

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:08:55 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

Sony have turned out some shockers over the years

Care to spready your wisdom and name them, Trevor?

Trevor Wilson

wrote:

Sony have turned out some shockers over the years

Care to spready your wisdom and name them, Trevor?

**The first player they ever made, was one. The CPD101. I don't recall the
others' model numbers. And I don't much care. The XA series, OTOH were
superb sounding machines.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Sonic

I remember when the XA5 and 7ES came out, had some of the first ones to
try out. Found them to be bright as anything, especially the XA5ES,
even using the digital out it proved to be bright.

I also remember Greg Borrowmans first review on the 5, he couldnt bring
himself to say it but read between the lines and he basically was
saying its bright as all buggery! LOL

EddieM

Clyde Slick wrote
Stewart Pinkerton wrote
calcerise wrote:

Arny isn't too keen on actually listening to audio products, since
they should all sound the same according to tests.

In level-matched blind listening tests, these three
players sound identical - as any reasonable person would expect.

Damn it, there are those pesky expectation effects again.

Gotta love those Mikhail Tal's moves.

EddieM

Stewart Pinkerton" wrote
calcerise wrote:

Arny isn't too keen on actually listening to audio products, since
they should all sound the same according to tests.

And indeed the good ones *do*, if we're talking about *listening*
tests. I have a Sony CDP-715E, one of the best-performing players Sony
ever made, although lacking the 'battleship' build of the XA7ES, I
have access to a Meridian 588, probably the finest 'high tech' SOTA CD
player on the planet, and I also own a Pioneer DV-575A 'universal'
player that cost less than the quoted price of a new laser assembly
for the XA7ES. In level-matched blind listening tests, these three
players sound identical - as any reasonable person would expect.

Any reasonable person would most likely also ask that ... when you
were performing a level-matched blind listening test among your
three cd players namely:

1. Sony CDP-715E

2. Meridian 588

3. Pioneer DV-575A

Were you also comparing their sounds from each other?

Arny Krueger

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in
message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" wrote

in
message
wrote in message

Can I get some good ones on the
second hand market which is as good at a good price?

You can easily get one that is just as good new, for

the
price of the laser assembly.

**Wanna bet?

No Trevor, not as long as you're in Australia and I'm in
Michigan.

**Thought so. You should also factor in the following:

* The Sony XA7ES has a number of technical features which

set
it apart from cheap CD players. These include:
Proper relay muting.

Nothing magic about that. Just something mechanical to
break.

Decent output stage, which does not include primitive,
4558-style output ICs.

Nothing magic about that. Terevor, your phobia about 4558s
isn't my problem.

* I've actually performed a DBT with the XA7ES and a

couple of
other players (quite respectable, but not cheap ones) and

the
AX7ES acquitted itself very well indeed. One of those

players
was the very impressive XA2ES.

Have you heard the XA7ES?

Why would I need to when so many other CD players are
capable of providing facsimile reproduction of the digital
file used to create the CD being played?

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
ups.com

Since Arny believes all CD players sound the same.

This would be a lie.

Arny Krueger

"ric" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

You can easily get one that is just as good new, for the
price of the laser assembly.

A player as good as the XA7ES for $160 USD? Which one,
praytell?

I have a Pioneer DV-563A which is I believe the predecessor
of Stewart's Pioneer DV-575A which is approximated by the
Pioneer DV-578A outside the UK.

Harry Lavo recommended the DV-563 to RAHE readers, so how
bad can it be? Of course, later on Harry dis-recommended it
for questioanble reasons, but consistency isn't one of
Harry's primary traits.

Sound and Vision gave the DV-563A a good review, and that
appears to be about the time the golden ears turned against
it.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...2003135639.pdf

MINe 109

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"ric" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

You can easily get one that is just as good new, for the
price of the laser assembly.

A player as good as the XA7ES for $160 USD? Which one,
praytell?

I have a Pioneer DV-563A which is I believe the predecessor
of Stewart's Pioneer DV-575A which is approximated by the
Pioneer DV-578A outside the UK.

Me, too.

Harry Lavo recommended the DV-563 to RAHE readers, so how
bad can it be? Of course, later on Harry dis-recommended it
for questioanble reasons, but consistency isn't one of
Harry's primary traits.

Some 563s have trouble playing certain hi-rez discs due to a software
bug. There are also reports of random popping noises.

I haven't had any trouble with mine. It sounds good for dvd and sacd,
but I don't like the cd playback quality. This may just be an accident
of the few cds I've played on it.

Sound and Vision gave the DV-563A a good review, and that
appears to be about the time the golden ears turned against
it.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...2003135639.pdf

It was also recommended by Absolute Sound and The Perfect Vision.

Stephen
Gordon

wrote in message

[...]

Arny ,a quick question ,as you are in Michigan why do you feel the need to
post in an Austalian newsgroup.
Gordon

dean

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I've got a Sony CDP-XA7ES CD player. From what I've read it was an
extremeley good player in it's day, and still considered one of the
best cd players today. The problem with mine is that the laser has
gone, and Sony don't carry it anymore.

Try this:

http://www.bioaudio.it/clock_analog_player.htm

Definately worth fixing up. It must have been used alot because XA7ES is a
non-moving laser block design and would takes decades before it start to
play up. I have and still own most of Sony CD flagship models ( X7ESD,
X77ES, X777ES, XA5ES and XA7ES ). I sold my XA7ES last year and although my
vote is for X77ES - being Sony's best work ever- but XA7ES is an great CD
player which you will have a hard time finding something better.

Cheers

Dean

Arny Krueger

"Gordon" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" wrote

in
message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson"

wrote
in
message
wrote in message

[...]

I didn't set up the crosspost.

George Middius

said:

You can easily get one that is just as good new, for the
price of the laser assembly.

Can you please recommend some new players comparable to the XA7ES for
$200USD?

Silly audiophile... Sameness is for 'borgs. G

I think you're simply unschooled in Kroologic. Kroologic is an amalgam of
religious devotion, envy, BorgSmugSnot, and paranoia. (Of course it has nothing
whatever in common with human logic.)

To understand the Krooborg's syllogism regarding your CD player, you have to
invert the precepts of your human-style logic and make various allowances for
Mr. ****'s agenda and mental infirmities. To start with, discard the notion that
how the unit sounds has anything to do with actually connecting it to your
system and listening. Rather, to determine how a unit "performs", the Krooborg
must fantasize about being blindfolded and tormented. Well, the torment isn't a
fantasy, it's reality. But for a Normal person, fantasy is permitted in order to
attain the 'borg state of mind.

Now what happens is the slavish devotion to the "fact" that "all
properly-designed CD appliances sound the same". This is a point of 'borgma and
not subject to interpretation, argumentation, or reality. The underlying premise
is that if Arnii Krooborg can't afford to own a superior device, it is known not
to be superior. (That's Kroologic.)

So for you to ask Mr. **** to name other CD players that are just as good as the
Sony is tantamount to asking him to admit he only earns $16,000 per year,
molests children, and pimps out his poor wife. It won't happen.

Arny Krueger

"EddieM" wrote in message

Clyde Slick wrote
Stewart Pinkerton wrote
calcerise wrote:

Arny isn't too keen on actually listening to audio
products, since they should all sound the same

according to
tests.

In level-matched blind listening tests, these three
players sound identical - as any reasonable person would
expect.

Damn it, there are those pesky expectation effects again.

Good point.

There's an equal danger in missing an audible difference
because you expect it to not be there, as there is a danger
in falsely perceiving a difference because the listening
test was done naively.

So Eddie, what to do?

Harry Lavo

"ric" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

You can easily get one that is just as good new, for the
price of the laser assembly.

A player as good as the XA7ES for $160 USD? Which one,
praytell?

I have a Pioneer DV-563A which is I believe the predecessor
of Stewart's Pioneer DV-575A which is approximated by the
Pioneer DV-578A outside the UK.

Harry Lavo recommended the DV-563 to RAHE readers, so how
bad can it be? Of course, later on Harry dis-recommended it
for questioanble reasons, but consistency isn't one of
Harry's primary traits.

Sound and Vision gave the DV-563A a good review, and that
appears to be about the time the golden ears turned against
it.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...2003135639.pdf

Actually, no, Arny. I never owned or auditioned the 563a. But I did
recommend the 578 immediately after it came out. I think for it's price it
is head and shoulders above it's similarly priced competition in sound
quality. Interesting that the editors of The Perfect Vision just picked it
for their lowest priced recommended system as the one to buy "if sound
quality is your primary emphasis".

However, it's value varies by format. It is a very decent CD player. It is
an exceptional DVD-A player at it's price point. And it is a mediocre SACD
player. It's main shortcoming is that it doesn't reveal ambience the way
better players do. In other words, it lacks the ultimate transparency that
better players have.

But is it as good, say as a Sony XA9000ES? No way. Even my C222ES reveals
a more natural sound and ambience on CD and SACD, and when output through my
DTI Pro/Proceed DAC combo, both stand-alone units come up short on CD.

And BTW Arny, I don't recall ever changing my opinion on this in RAHE. I
did however change my opinion on the cheapy Panasonic I had previously
brought to the group's attention. And that was in part based on poor video
performance. Perhaps you are confusing the two.

And for what it is worth, my recommendation to the group pre-dated any
written review of the 578. I bought it when shopping for a good DVD-A
player, and decided that there wasn't enought sound difference given the
uncertainty about DVD-A's future to justify the Arcam DV79, which is a
superb DVD-A machine. I bought it based on my ears. And I continue to
recommend it as a low-cost unit, no matter what mag or online review agrees
or disagrees with me (although it is always nice when a consensus builds
behind you).

paul packer

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:09:23 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Arny ,a quick question ,as you are in Michigan why do you

feel
the need to post in an Austalian newsgroup.

I didn't set up the crosspost.

Arnie's being modest. In his generosity of spirit he likes to shed his
guiding light to the far-flung corners. In other words, he wants
Aussie's to share in the good news that all components of a competent
design standard sound alike and therefore no anxiety need be expended
on their selection--just get the cheapest. This is the message of
simple benediction he spreads, and you may be sure I at least am truly
grateful for it. This is how I ended up with a Pioneer 676a that
sounds exactly like a Sony XA7ES. Will the blessings never cease
flowing to us from the good old US of A?