Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matrixmusic

Default Reducing ventelation noise

I have 6 inch ventelation going into my studio and it's causing noise.
Any suggestions on how to reduce the noise floor through muffling the
noise
kevin

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nappy

I have used ducting which provides a rather crooked path for the air but it
does work to damplen the noise. Not sure where you find it anymore. It is
essentially regular ducting with fiberglass cones which absorb noise. It
does have some effect on airflow. Someone else here may be able to give you
sources.

"Matrixmusic" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 6 inch ventelation going into my studio and it's causing noise.
Any suggestions on how to reduce the noise floor through muffling the
noise
kevin

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Andy Eng

Hello Kevin,

Any chance you've access to the blower motor? Sometimes, they come
with different pulleys to move the air at different speeds depending on
it being cool or warm outdoors -- A less agressive air movement may
help.

Andy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Kadis

In article .com,
"Matrixmusic" wrote:

I have 6 inch ventelation going into my studio and it's causing noise.
Any suggestions on how to reduce the noise floor through muffling the
noise
kevin

Is the noise from the air handlers or from turbulence in the ducts?

There are duct lining products that can reduce noise, but low-noise A/C systems
for studios employ oversized ducts with very low air flows rates to avoid
turbulence and that won't be attainable with 6" ducts.

-Jay
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

In article .com,
Matrixmusic wrote:
I have 6 inch ventelation going into my studio and it's causing noise.
Any suggestions on how to reduce the noise floor through muffling the
noise

Replace it with a 12 inch duct and add a baffle box for muffling. The
whole point is that you want to be moving a lot of volume at a low speed
rather than a low volume at a high speed. This means ductwork becomes
a lot more bulky and a whole lot more expensive.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

Matrixmusic wrote:

I have 6 inch ventelation going into my studio and it's causing noise.
Any suggestions on how to reduce the noise floor through muffling the
noise
kevin

http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

Jay Kadis wrote:

In article .com,
"Matrixmusic" wrote:

I have 6 inch ventelation going into my studio and it's causing noise.
Any suggestions on how to reduce the noise floor through muffling the
noise
kevin

Is the noise from the air handlers or from turbulence in the ducts?

There are duct lining products that can reduce noise, but low-noise A/C systems
for studios employ oversized ducts with very low air flows rates to avoid
turbulence and that won't be attainable with 6" ducts.

Yup.

Low velocity ventilation helps a lot.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler

"Matrixmusic" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 6 inch ventelation going into my studio and it's causing noise.
Any suggestions on how to reduce the noise floor through muffling the
noise

Noise from turbulence in the air coming out into the room, or noise being
piped in from the blower?

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns

Jay Kadis writes:

In article .com,
"Matrixmusic" wrote:

I have 6 inch ventelation going into my studio and it's causing noise.
Any suggestions on how to reduce the noise floor through muffling the
noise
kevin

Is the noise from the air handlers or from turbulence in the ducts?

There are duct lining products that can reduce noise, but low-noise A/C systems
for studios employ oversized ducts with very low air flows rates to avoid
turbulence and that won't be attainable with 6" ducts.

That's always true, but sometimes you also have to punt.

Our mobile rig has 6" flexi ducting to an external AC unit. Fan noise was
griping me. Investigated duct silencers, but they cost Big Bucks and were
bulky.

Found a cut-away picture of one such animal. Stupidly simple concept.

At both ends of each duct, I cobbled together duct slats the duct diameter
(plus a bit to make for a snug fit) and about 10" in length, made from 1"
703, "v"d at the wind edge of the slat to avoid (as much) turbulance, and
wrapped with cloth so that fiberglass dust wouldn't spew into the space.

Shoved two such slats down the flexiduct, one after the other, but turned
90 degrees to each. Same on both ends; same for both the plenum and
return. (Total of eight of these slats.)

Dead, I mean DEAD quiet. The only way you could tell it was running was to
feel the cool air moving. I'm guessing some 30-40 dB noise reduction (and
for about $10 in 703 and cloth vs. $500 minimum for a commercial unit.

You will lose some duct capacity, but fiddle with the cross-area numbers
of the duct and what's taken by the edge-on of the slats. 10-15% loss
isn't too bad, and it works really well, at least for us.

Hope the helps,

Frank Stearns
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nappy

"Frank Stearns" wrote in message
Jay Kadis writes:

In article .com,
"Matrixmusic" wrote:

[...]

Yes.. those are the beasts I have used years ago.. quite functional.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan

"Matrixmusic" wrote in
oups.com:

I have 6 inch ventelation going into my studio and it's causing noise.
Any suggestions on how to reduce the noise floor through muffling the
noise

There are two sources of noise: machine noise and air movement. I fixed
the air movement problems.

The main return to my furnace is close to my recording area. Previously I
had to turn off the furnace while recording and editing.

When I had the unit replaced, I had requested
1) two returns instead of one
2) both farther from the unit (more ducting)
3) flexible ducting (dissipates noise and vibration from the fan)

These three changes had a huge effect on the noise levels. I still won't
record with the furnace on, but I can now monitor and mix with relative
ease.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matrixmusic

Thanks so much guys!!