John L Rice

Default NAMM Show Report - Summer 2003

Thank you Mike!

John L Rice

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
news:znr1060018403k@trad...
NAMM Summer Session - July 18-20, Nashville, Tennessee

In an attempt to get my desk cleared off, and since there's been almost

nothing
else written about the show yet (reports based mostly on press releases

will hit
the magazines in another issue or two) I thought I'd write up some

impressions
and sightings. It wasn't a very exciting show for me and I don't have my

usual
show report enthusiasm, but here's a feeble attempt at renewing my

interest and
giving you a little insight.

The usual disclaimer: If I didn't write about something you've heard

about, either
it wasn't represented at the show, I didn't see it, I wasn't interested

enough in it to
stop and take a look, or it just didn't seem interesting enough to

mention. We're
all into different things, so here's my take, in the order that the

literature and
notes are stacked.

Samson C-Control
This is the gadget for everyone with a DAW who has ever needed a monitor
volume control, a way to listen to playback of other sources such as CDs,

listen
to playback on alternate monitors, or talk back to talent in the studio.

It's a neat
$100 package with multiple monitor inputs and outputs with a master volume
control, and an independent headphone amplifier. It can be handy, too, for

just
playing your keyboard into your powered speakers without turning on the
computer (unless of course your keyboard is controlling a soft synth), or

for just
playing a CD through your monitors for enjoyment or education. There's an
assortment of input jacks and operating levels and the literature is

pretty sketchy
about just how many of what flavor it contains, so if you're obsessive

about
keeping everything balanced or at "professional" levels, you'll need to

spend
more than a hundred bucks. But for a load of convenience for the simple

desktop
studio, it's hard to beat.
http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...1650&brandID=2

Benchmark Media ADC1 A/D Converter
Benchmark has been making studio accessories from mic preamps to routers

converters for years. There gear has always been clean, quiet, and often

with
innovative packaging that's often more suited for the large studio or

industrial
production facility, which probably explains why they're not a household

word in
the world of project studios. Their DAC1 D/A converter introduced earlier

was
Benchmark's first product targeted to the smaller studio and it's made a

lot of
believers in the value of having a really good D/A converter through which

monitor everything that's coming from a digital source. The ADC1, to be

shipping
in a couple more months, is the companion unit. It's a half-rack sized

unit with
line, instrument, and microphone inputs with phantom power, 24-bit, with

sample
rates of 44.1 to 192 kHz. Bless their hearts for providing an input level

calibration
control (a 10-turn pot) to allow you to set 0 dBFS recording level to

correspond to
any input level you choose from +8 to +27.5 dBu, making it easy to reach

the
proper record level from any reasonable analog source. A cool feature is a
secondary digital output at 44.1 or 48 kHz independent of the sample rate

of the
main outputs, so you can mix to a 96 kHz DAW setup and simultaneously make
a backup to DAT or CD-R. Outputs are AES/EBU, S/PDIF, and ADAT Lightpipe.
Benchmark uses a unique circuit to isolate the converter from jitter when

locking
to external word clock or an external digital connection.
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/digita...04/default.asp

Alesis
Alesis showed a wide range of new products including three instrument
amplifiers, a new series of powered studio monitor speakers, and a dual

zone
rack mount mixer hinting that Alesis might be poking its corporate nose

into the
installed sound market. Also new, and a more traditional Alesis product,

is the
ion, a digital, analog modeling synth with real knobs for filter, envelope

and
oscillator controls. Craig Anderton was at the booth when I walked by,

showing
people how we used to play analog synths.
http://www.alesis.com

BlackBall
BlackBall is a new (to me) software company showing two very diverse

products.
One is the BB-Tuner, a chromatic tuner that runs under Windows, featuring

both
note, frequency, and cents offset with a graphic display mode that

emulates
either a strobe with flashing indicators or sliding lights that move

toward the
center as you reach the correct note. A planned update will allow you to

store
offsets for those instruments such as pedal steel that work better when

not tuned
exactly to equal temperament. The BB-Tuner also provides a tone generator

for
tuning by ear, a metronome with accents that accommodate some "off brand"
time signatures as well as the straight ones. It's $40, and you can

download a
time-bombed two day demo version from their web site.

Something completely different from BlackBall is their Rich Media File

System, a
data base management system for organizing a wide range of media files -
audio of various formats, video, or photos. Indexing options allow you to

easily
locate related files from different sources and in different formats to

integrate
them into a single production. It also includes advanced features such as

version
control to keep collaborations from running away, and encryption for

security
when sharing files over a network. This isn't cheapware, but it's less

expensive
than hiring an experienced data base programmer for your corporate Oracle
system, and BB says it installs faster, runs faster, and works better for

its
dedicated applications.
http://www.blackball.us

Littlite
Those cool gooseneck lights that we have on our mixing consoles have gone
high tech and low power with LED arrays. Reduced current, cooler running,

and
longer bulb life are the main features. The lamphead is equipped with both

red
and white LEDs, which provides a less washed out illumination than what

you
usually get from a white (actually a doped blue) LED. In addition, these

lights can
be switched to red-only light for less obtrusive illumination and less

effect on your
night vision.
http://www.littlite.com/products.php?category=10

TASCAM
TASCAM was showing their new FW-1884 Firewire audio/MIDI interface and
DAW control surface. The 1884 features 8 mic/line inputs (all XLR, all

with
phantom power available) and 8 analog outputs as well as 4 MIDI IN/OUT

ports.
The familiar channel strip layout has 100 mm motorized faders and rotary

knobs
quickly assignable to auxiliary sends and pans, with other specialized
applications dictated by the DAW to which the device is connected. It's a

desktop
console arrangement with a full set of transport controls, track arming,

and
jog/shuttle wheel as well as a plethora of assignable buttons for things

like editing
shortcuts.
http://www.tascam.com/products/compu...1884/index.php

CM Labs
A special tip of the hat to software and hardware developer Carl Malone

for
actually coming through with the "your product will never go out of date

because
it's based on software" promise. CM's Motormix, which has been around for

few years now, was the first DAW hardware control surface, something that'
clearly a hot item these days. After a rocky start and some corporate
reorganization, the Dashboard, a control surface dedicated to DAW editing
functions is now available. The CM SixtyFour, a 32x32 analog routing

matrix
(that's a patchbay without patch cords) with level control is another

product that's
been around for a while. It's now integrated with the MotorMix, the

Dashboard,
and an upcoming 8-channel mic preamp allowing you to set up custom console
input and output configurations for multitrack recording and monitoring,

as well as
full control of a surround monitor setup, keeping it right up to date.
http://www.cmlabs.net/

Lynx Studio Technology
Lynx introduced the AES16 16-channel (8 pairs) AES/EBU PCI bus I/O card.
Supporting sample rates up to 192 kHz in both the single wire and dual

wire
(obviously only 8 channels) modes, the AES-16 also includes a software
controlled 32-channel digital mixer for full control of routing and

monitoring when
used to interface outboard A/D and D/A converters as well as interfacing a

DAW
with a digital console. "Scenes" can be saved and recalled along with the

project
workflow. While the AES16 will of course sync to an external word clock,
sometimes when you have diverse sources, a master clock isn't always
available. The Lynx SynchroLock circuit can assure a stable and low jitter

clock
from any AES source. An LStream expansion port allows you to add an

optional
16-channel ADAT interface, or to connect a second AES-16 card for seamless

32
channel AES/EBU I/O. Connections are on two DB-25 connectors, and Lynx

sells
the card either with two six-foot breakout cables for $795, or barefoot

for $100
less for those who want or need to roll your own. By the way, someone

recently
commented in rec.audio.pro that Lynx products were hard to find and even
harder to demo. Lynx has now taken distribution and marketing into their

own
hands, so this should improve shortly if not by now.
http://www.lynxstudio.com/pr200307.html

Moog
Last year, Don Buchla, the king of the alternate MIDI controller, showed

Bob
Moog a new MIDI piano interface that he had developed. He didn't really

know
how to market it, and asked Moog for some help. The result of this

collaboration
was the Moog PianoBar, an accessory that turns any piano into a MIDI

controller.
Unlike some retrofit kits that have been sold in the past, the PianoBar

can be
installed on a piano in about half a minute, and leveled and calibrated in

about
another minute. Removal is just as simple, so a performer can take it with

him on
gigs. The system also includes a pedal sensor and a polyphonic control and
sound module with 300 or so sounds included. While you can never get rid

of the
acoustic piano sound, you can blend it with any of the synth sounds for a

pretty
effective lounge or church sound, as well as record the player using any

MIDI
sequencer, and use outboard MIDI synths or samplers for additional sounds.
Moog has always been interested in musical education, so one added benefit

training is that you can play a MIDI file into the controller, and each

note will
illuminate a light above the appropriate key on the bar.
http://www.moogmusic.com/

Miscellaneous Cool Stuff
Leave it to a non-drummer like me to find cool stuff in the drum

department. The
Yamaha Subkick is the commercial realization of an old time engineer's

trick,
using a loudspeaker as a microphone for limited range pickup on a kick

drum.
This is a dressed-up version with the speaker mounted in a small drum

shell and
supplied with a stand made from standard drum hardware. Put it a couple of
inches from the kick drum's front head and combine it with your favorite

"inside,
near the beater" mic for a some extra low end.

Evans Drumheads showed a drum key with a built-in LED flashlight, just

what
you need to tighten up a flabby head backstage when they turn out the

lights, or
finding a dropped wing-nut when attaching your cymbals. Or lend it to

another
drummer so he can find his drums.

The Atomic Reactor 112 is the back end of a tube guitar amplifier, 18

watts RMS
from a pair of EL84's and a 12AX7 as a buffer and phase inverter. Pretty

simple,
but the hitch is that there's no guitar input. Instead, there's a drop-in

panel that's
precut for a Line 6 POD, PODxt, and I believe I saw a Behringer V-Amp 2

waiting
in the wings. This lets you have the flexibility of a guitar modeler with

the sound
of a tube amplifier, but without the added coloration of a standard

instrument
amplifier's front end.
http://www.atomicamps.com/

Les Paul was a big deal at this show. It's the first time he's been to

Nashville in
25 years, since he recorded the Lester and Chester album with Chet Atkins.

He
played a fun set as part of the All Star Guitar Night concert, a regular

event at
NAMM shows, and the following afternoon, appeared for an interview and Q&A
session at the Country Music Hall of Fame. Though I didn't have the

opportunity
to get in my question about the Les Paulverizer, I enjoyed hearing his

stories
(one more time). He was also at a party at the Gibson shop that I didn't

attend,
where he was presented with a model of "The Log", the solid body electric

guitar
design that he brought to Gibson in 1952 and asked them to produce. As you
may know, Gibson now owns the Baldwin piano company, and in honor of
hizhonor, they showed the Les Paul piano, a Baldwin studio upright

finished in
cherry sunburst, with legs shaped like a guitar neck, feet like a guitar

headstock
and the old Gibson script trademark inlaid in the front. Les signed all

100 of the
limited edition pianos.

Editorials
It's hard to write one of these reports without some snide remarks about

the
industry, so here they come. There seem to be lots of bundles these days.
Presonus is bundling a Studio Projects B1 mic, cable, shock mount, and gig

bag
along with their TubePRE for $179. BLUE and Focusrite have a

mic-and-channel
strip bundle at a pretty good saving. If you want that combination. I

wonder how
these temporary marriages come about. I'd like to think that both

companies
think that the mates are an ideal combination for the price. I'd hate to

think that
it's because one or the other is a low moving product and needs some

incentive
to move.

In the new products section of the last issue of Mix that I saw before the

show, a
writeup of a new linear fader pack from Trident caught my eye, not so much

for
the product (it's a clean looking set of add-on linear faders for their

S100 rack
mount mixer), but for one of its specifications - "500 dB of headroom." At

first I
thought it was a typo and an extra zero crept in there, but even 50 dB of
headroom is unreasonable and I posted a comment about it in rec.audio.pro.

You
can look it up if you're interested. I vowed to give John Oram (Mr.

Trident) a hard
time about it when I ran into him at the show, and I did. Now John's a bit

of a
quirky guy who's always glad to have people talking about him and his

products.
He told me that what Mix didn't publish was that the date on the press

release
was April 1, and that he really did write 500 dB, intending to catch

people's
attention. He knows that it's impossible. The same text (with the same

bogus
specification) showed up the next day in the NAMM Daily publication.

I ran into the publicist for Trident (who also works with Moog and BLUE)

at a
reception introducing the Moog PianoBar and featuring a pianist singing

into a
BLUE Ball mic), and harassed her in what I thought was a friendly way

about the
error that she had let be published. I suggested that perhaps when sending

press release with technical information to technical trade publications,

that it be
proofread for accuracy as well as intent. If it's a joke, fine - make it

clear to the
reader. But don't make the manufacturer look like he doesn't know what

he's
writing. I think she was a little miffed at my comment, saying that she

gets
technical information direct from the manufacturers and only edits it for

grammar
and length, not technical content. So manufacturers, now that you know how

it's
done, take care with your jokes. They might get misinterpreted.
http://www.google.com/groups?q=500+d...udio.pro+autho
r:mrivers%40d-and-d.com&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
8&selm=znr1057969237k%40trad&rnum=1

That's enough for one morning. I'm looking forward to some exciting new
products and ideas at the upcoming AES show.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Garthrr

Thanks for your hard work Mike.
Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney
George Gleason

Littlite
Those cool gooseneck lights that we have on our mixing consoles have gone
high tech and low power with LED arrays. Reduced current, cooler running,

and
longer bulb life are the main features. The lamphead is equipped with both

red
and white LEDs, which provides a less washed out illumination than what

you
usually get from a white (actually a doped blue) LED. In addition, these

lights can
be switched to red-only light for less obtrusive illumination and less

effect on your
night vision.
http://www.littlite.com/products.php?category=10

Sorry I am not technical enough to figure this out for myself, but I have
often dreamed of a desk lite that would run off phantom power of a unused
channel
would this be able to do that?
I did a thread on it a few years ago and was told that a LED array would be
the only possibility due to its low current draw
Thanks
George

wrkit

Mike Rivers wrote:

[...]

Benchmark has been making studio accessories from mic preamps to routers to
converters for years. There gear has always been clean, quiet, and often with
innovative packaging that's often more suited for the large studio or industrial
production facility, which probably explains why they're not a household word in
the world of project studios. Their DAC1 D/A converter introduced earlier was
Benchmark's first product targeted to the smaller studio and it's made a lot of
believers in the value of having a really good D/A converter through which to
[...]

it's based on software" promise. CM's Motormix, which has been around for a
[...]

Moog has always been interested in musical education, so one added benefit to
[...]

error that she had let be published. I suggested that perhaps when sending a
[...]

Thanks Mike! I always look forward to your insights....stay safe.

wrkit
LeBaron & Alrich

Garthrr wrote:

Thanks for your hard work Mike.

What?? He wlaks around the show, gets bored quickly and leaves early,
skipping coffee with friends? You call that _work_?

(Thanks, Mike.)

--
ha

Scott Dorsey

George Gleason wrote:

Sorry I am not technical enough to figure this out for myself, but I have
often dreamed of a desk lite that would run off phantom power of a unused
channel
would this be able to do that?

You can get 48 = I * 6.8k or .007 amps from a phantom output, dead short.

I did a thread on it a few years ago and was told that a LED array would be
the only possibility due to its low current draw

The brighter the LED, the more current it will draw. Since most normal
brightness LEDs want to see 25 or 30 mA for full brightness, expect the
high brighness ones to want a lot more.

And you only have 7 mA, which pretty much kills that.

T-Power is another story. You might have a chance with T-power.
Chris Hornbeck

Default Phantom Powered Console Light

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:14:12 -0700, Kurt Albershardt
wrote:

Unless it used one of the constant-current switchmode LED driver chips
to step down the voltage (34-36 V at maximum power point as I recall) to
the appropriate voltage for the LED string (~10V for 3 LEDs in series.)

What a cool idea. Max power is at impedance matching, so with
phantom's 3.405K ohm, 48V source, max output is 24V and 7.05mA.
About 170 milliwatts; should be enough for a couple LED's.

Chris Hornbeck,
guyville{at}aristotle{dot}net

Gidney and Cloyd

Mike Rivers wrote:

... and phantom power is limited to about
7.5 mA by the standard 6.8K resistor in series between the 48V power
supply and the mic connector.

But aren't there two 6.8K resisters, one for pin 2 and one for pin 3?
In parallel they'd supply supply 15 mA, which explains how my
Earthworks SROs and SR71 can pull 10 mA of phantom.

David Satz

Gidney and Cloyd wrote:

[A]ren't there two 6.8K resisters, one for pin 2 and one for pin 3?
In parallel they'd supply supply 15 mA, which explains how my
Earthworks SROs and SR71 can pull 10 mA of phantom.

Yes (well, actually it's closer to 14 mA). But by the time you pull 7 mA
through a 6.8 kOhm resistor, the voltage drop across that resistor comes
to 0.007 x 6800 = 47.6 Volts. So with a 48 Volt supply you'll have wasted
99% of the power in the supply resistors, and it will never get to light
your light bulb, or motivate your microphone to new heights of thrilling
sonic accomplishment, or whatever.

What Chris Hornbeck said is exactly right. Any microphone (or light) that
draws more than 7 mA will actually get _less_ power from the phantom supply
than it would have available at 7 mA. Up to 10 mA is "legal" by the IEC
standard, but it's kinda goofy by Ohm's Law.

The other thing is, you should never assume that any preamp or mixer really
has that much current available. This has to be tested case-by-case. Some
mixers and preamps even today are designed to work with first-generation
phantom powered mikes (KM 84, U 87), which often drew less than 1 mA apiece.
Sometimes the overall 48 Volt supply is too weak; sometimes there's excess
series resistance in the 48 Volt supply's smoothing circuit.

I literally had one preamp's phantom supply circuit burn out and emit smoke
when I tested it with a modern transformerless condenser microphone. (Since
the manufacturer repeatedly refused to discuss this problem seriously, I'll
mention here that it was a MindPrint "DI-Port".)

And then you get your obstinate individualists who don't know/don't care
that there's a standard, who build things such as 30 Volt "phantom" powering
into their equipment. That mostly happens right here in the good old USA.
Justin Ulysses Morse

In article znr1060124771k@trad, Mike Rivers
wrote:

Still, you can get about half a watt (48 V @ 10 mA) out of a phantom
powered hole. A No. 47 incandesent bulb (6V @ 150 mA) typically
used in a gooseneck console light draws roughly twice the power, so is
an LED twice as efficient?

It had better be. An LED doesn't produce nearly as much heat as an
incandescent, so if it's not producing more light per watt, then energy
must be disappearing into thin air. Which means you need to isolate
the area and identify it as a separate universe from the one we're all
living in.

ulysses

Roger W. Norman

Oh yeah? Your feet tired? g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

"georgeh" wrote in message
Thanks Mike. After reading your notes, I feel like I was there myself.