Default Music biz don't get it, the real world numbers, 2nd try

I gave the wrong url 1st time, Are the teen downloaders causing the down
turn in music sales, or is it trash product and high prices, we report,
you decide

http://www.stereophile.com/shownews.cgi?1671
Raymond

wrote
I gave the wrong url 1st time, Are the teen downloaders causing the down
turn in music sales, or is it trash product and high prices, we report,
you decide

A bit of both I think.
DrBoom

wrote in message ...
I gave the wrong url 1st time, Are the teen downloaders causing the down
turn in music sales, or is it trash product and high prices, we report,
you decide

http://www.stereophile.com/shownews.cgi?1671

This is so obvious I don't know why anyone would debate it.

Home taping failed to kill the industry, and filesharing isn't gonna
kill it either. If record companies keep pursuing the strategy of
focus-grouped-sure-fire-can't-miss-with-Clear-Channel-payola
they're on now, they'll just kill *themselves* in due course.

Someone will move in to fill the vaccuum, and life will go on.

It's not as if there's a shortage of talented people making music.
Corporate drones are too busy trying to apply their B-school
theories (replicate past successes ad nauseum) to pay any
attention to them.

-DrBoom
Michael M. Koch

Someone will move in to fill the vaccuum, and life will go on.

Question is... who, or what?

DrBoom

"Michael M. Koch" wrote in message ...
Someone will move in to fill the vaccuum, and life will go on.

Question is... who, or what?

If I knew that, I'd be famous and possibly rich.

Authors and book publishers are wrestling with some of the
same issues brought about by widespread Internet access.
The problem is staring them right in the face since perfect
copies of books are easy for even dial-up users to download,
a problem the music biz won't have on a large scale for
at least a few years.

At least one publisher is trying to make this work to their
advantage:

http://www.baen.com/library/

Food for thought.

-DrBoom