Posted to rec.audio.tech
cazza13 cazza13 is offline

Default Neil Young Unveils His Own Version of the iPod

This is an awkwardly shaped work of "art". Looks like a Wii
controller. A blast from the past, I'm sure it does, but not sure if
the price is good enough for that quality of music.

FROM: CT

Singer song writer Neil Young unveiled his very own digital music
device called the PonoPlayer. His mission is to "restore the soul
of music" by bringing a high-quality product to passionate music
consumers, he says. The PonoPlayer will cost $399 and come with 128GB
of memory. Pre-orders begin March 15 through Kickstarter.

Developed in collaboration with Ayre Acoustics, the PonoPlayer is made
with zero-feedback circuitry and can store up to 500 high-resolution
digital albums. Memory cards will also be available for additional
storage.

"Hearing Pono for the first time is like that first blast of
daylight when you leave a movie theatre on a sun-filled day,"
says Young.

Lucky SXSW goers will be the first to listen on Tuesday, March 11
during the SXSW 2014 Music Conference.

View the attachments for this post at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.p...9066#272949066

Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/03/2014 9:56 p.m., cazza13 wrote:
[...]

So Neil has finally come around from his "digital = little stair-cases"
delusion ?

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
[...]

But still on a zero feedback must be better delusion apparently.
What I don't get is why they need to put 128GB into it if it can use memory
cards? Apple has fixed memory so they can charge ten times the price for it,
but frankly I'd be happier if all such devices came with nothing but an SD
or uSD slot.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

On 13/03/2014 4:30 p.m., Trevor wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

?

But still on a zero feedback must be better delusion apparently.
What I don't get is why they need to put 128GB into it if it can use memory
cards? Apple has fixed memory so they can charge ten times the price for it,
but frankly I'd be happier if all such devices came with nothing but an SD
or uSD slot.

Trevor.

Good shape for standing on things, but potentially 'embarrassing' to
have in your pocket.

"is that a pogo in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me ?".

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014, Trevor wrote:

"geoff" wrote in message
[...]

It gives you a start, and not many memory cards are as big as 128gigs.

I'm assuming this is about no compression, but maybe not. You'll need
more space for the songs, so you might as well start with something big.

Yes, the card slot is a good thing, one reason I didn't buy an iPod.

I did buy a Sansa Fuze, and so I'm still using my 8gig unit years after I
bought it, since I can expand it. But if I was keeping .wav's or
something like that on it, I'd want more space, and surely bulk buying
makes this a cheaper route than if everyone had to buy a giant memory
card.

Michael

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1403181331350.26276@darkstar. example.org...
What I don't get is why they need to put 128GB into it if it can use
memory
cards? Apple has fixed memory so they can charge ten times the price for
it,
but frankly I'd be happier if all such devices came with nothing but an
SD
or uSD slot.

It gives you a start, and not many memory cards are as big as 128gigs.

Sure they are, but I'd rather have 2*64GB or 4*32GB cards myself, since they
can be swapped in a couple of seconds, cost less, you don't lose 128GB if
one fails, and you can organise your collection better.

I'm assuming this is about no compression, but maybe not. You'll need
more space for the songs, so you might as well start with something big.

But do you need a couple of hundred uncompressed CD's on inbuilt memory
rather than swap an SD card occasionly?

Yes, the card slot is a good thing, one reason I didn't buy an iPod.

Me either.

I did buy a Sansa Fuze, and so I'm still using my 8gig unit years after I
bought it, since I can expand it. But if I was keeping .wav's or
something like that on it, I'd want more space, and surely bulk buying
makes this a cheaper route than if everyone had to buy a giant memory
card.

Obviously you haven't checked what Apple charge for their bulk bought fixed
memory in their iPods and iPads or you wouldn't say that. I really really
hate that if you buy the cheaper versions with less memory, you cannot
upgrade them as memory prices fall. A deliberate rip off by Apple, whose
loyal customers like being ripped off apparently.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

On 19/03/2014 6:29 p.m., Trevor wrote:
. A deliberate rip off by Apple, whose
loyal customers like being ripped off apparently.

Trevor.

They have a religious compulsion to be repeatedly ****ed over each time
a new iWhatever comes out.

I do confess to an iPod 4G - it was the only thing that supported
anything like Guitar Toolkit and SignalScopePro. Got the biggest one and
transfer CDs onto it only in "lossless".

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
On 19/03/2014 6:29 p.m., Trevor wrote:
. A deliberate rip off by Apple, whose
loyal customers like being ripped off apparently.

They have a religious compulsion to be repeatedly ****ed over each time a
new iWhatever comes out.

I do confess to an iPod 4G - it was the only thing that supported anything
like Guitar Toolkit and SignalScopePro.

Since I'd never buy an Apple anything, I have no idea how they are better,
or not, than similar Android programs. Nor do I care since I'd rather use a
Windows laptop for anything serious.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

On 21/03/2014 3:31 p.m., Trevor wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
On 19/03/2014 6:29 p.m., Trevor wrote:
. A deliberate rip off by Apple, whose
loyal customers like being ripped off apparently.

They have a religious compulsion to be repeatedly ****ed over each time a
new iWhatever comes out.

I do confess to an iPod 4G - it was the only thing that supported anything
like Guitar Toolkit and SignalScopePro.

Since I'd never buy an Apple anything, I have no idea how they are better,
or not, than similar Android programs. Nor do I care since I'd rather use a
Windows laptop for anything serious.

Trevor.

At the time Android didn't exist.

But I got over it and never bought an iAnythingelse. And now have 3 Andrae.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Shaun Shaun is offline

"cazza13" wrote in message

[...]

Big Question about the Pono and its software!

Can you transfer high resolution songs from an SACD or a DVD-Audio disks, or
HDCD in its 20 bit format and related formats (K2HD ...). I have also heard
that Blu-ray has some disks with high rez sound on them too, but I not
positive on this. I'm guessing that there would be some licensing issues
especially with Sony!
If you can't transfer from these formats, you would be locked into buying
every High rez song that you would want to listen too. If this is the case,
I would not buy a PONO!!

Shaun

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Shaun Shaun is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
On 19/03/2014 6:29 p.m., Trevor wrote:
. A deliberate rip off by Apple, whose
loyal customers like being ripped off apparently.

They have a religious compulsion to be repeatedly ****ed over each time a
new iWhatever comes out.

I do confess to an iPod 4G - it was the only thing that supported
anything
like Guitar Toolkit and SignalScopePro.

Since I'd never buy an Apple anything, I have no idea how they are better,
or not, than similar Android programs. Nor do I care since I'd rather use
Windows laptop for anything serious.

Trevor.

At the time Android didn't exist.

But I got over it and never bought an iAnythingelse. And now have 3 Andrae.

geoff

A fiend of mine, who happens to be a professional Engineer was using other
brands of phones for a number of years, He said that when I purchased and
Apple iPhone (I think it was 4th gen) everything works better and smoother
that it had on other brands.
I'm not a apple supporter, but I thought I should pass on the feedback. I
have an old iPod with a 80 Byte hard drive and I have found it to be
severalty limited in what video formats it will play. I would not buy
another Apple product

I have a big question about the Pono and its software!

Can you transfer high resolution songs from an SACD, DVD-Audio disks in high
resolution, or
HDCD in its 20 bit format and related formats (K2HD ...). I have also heard
that Blu-ray has some disks with high rez sound on them too, but I not
positive on this. I'm guessing that there would be some licensing issues
especially with Sony!
If you can't transfer from these formats, you would be locked into buying
every High rez song that you would want to listen too. If this is the case,
I would not buy a PONO!!

Shaun

Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

On 21/04/2014 4:02 p.m., Shaun wrote:

A fiend of mine, who happens to be a professional Engineer was using
other brands of phones for a number of years, He said that when I
purchased and Apple iPhone (I think it was 4th gen) everything works
better and smoother that it had on other brands.

Even 'professional engineers' can be subject to brainwashing and
quasi-religious cultism.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Shaun Shaun is offline

"geoff" wrote in message

On 21/04/2014 4:02 p.m., Shaun wrote:

A fiend of mine, who happens to be a professional Engineer was using
other brands of phones for a number of years, He said that when I
purchased and Apple iPhone (I think it was 4th gen) everything works
better and smoother that it had on other brands.

Even 'professional engineers' can be subject to brainwashing and
quasi-religious cultism.

geoff

That is very true. I know of one Professional Engineer (Mechanical) that is
trying to convince others that the earth is only ~6000 years old like other
bible readers believe. He has used curve fitting techniques to show that
the speed of light has been changing drastically over time. What a joke!

Shaun

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:29:36 AM UTC-4, Trevor wrote:
[...]

I believe the final pono product has 64gb of internal memory and a 64g sd card. And you can plug/play different music collections on different cards if you want. Plus use a bigger card. Since it has a 64gb card I believe that means it will support up to 2tb since that's the sd spec for large cards. That's a whole lot of music even when lossless. The preferred format is flac, the public domain lossless. But it will play regular mp3s as well as apple's formats including their lossless. So itunes/iwhatever users can copy their library to it manually.

Neil Young and digital recording vdubreeze Pro Audio 21 February 7th 12 10:19 PM
Neil Young Bret L Audio Opinions 2 January 14th 10 04:15 PM
neil young's mics mcgtr Pro Audio 17 December 31st 06 08:52 PM