Posted to rec.audio.tech
Rudy Williams Rudy Williams is offline

Default Akai GX-210D playback issues

Hello--

I own an Akai GX-210D reel to reel unit and am experiencing some playback
issues. I would like to know your opinion on if I need to take it in for
repair, or if this is something I can address myself. (I am fairly handy and
have some background in electronics, soldering, etc.)

During forward playback, audio is heard from the left channel only (speakers
or headphones). During reverse playback, audio is heard in the right channel
only. With alcohol, I cleaned the heads, capstan, rollers, etc. Typically I
mount the tape reel on the left spindle and the take up reel on the right
spindle. If reverse where I mount the reels, the behavior is opposite.

What are your thoughts?

Rudy

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz[_2_] Tim Schwartz[_2_] is offline

On 12/3/2010 11:00 AM, Rudy Williams wrote:
Hello--

I own an Akai GX-210D reel to reel unit and am experiencing some playback
issues. I would like to know your opinion on if I need to take it in for
repair, or if this is something I can address myself. (I am fairly handy and
have some background in electronics, soldering, etc.)

During forward playback, audio is heard from the left channel only (speakers
or headphones). During reverse playback, audio is heard in the right channel
only. With alcohol, I cleaned the heads, capstan, rollers, etc. Typically I
mount the tape reel on the left spindle and the take up reel on the right
spindle. If reverse where I mount the reels, the behavior is opposite.

What are your thoughts?

Rudy

Hello,

Assuming that the heads are clean and undamaged, I'd have a look at the
very fragile wires that go to the back of each head. After that, I'd
look for whatever switches the heads to the electronics for forward vs.
reverse play. This could be a mechanical switch or a relay.

Having a schematic diagram so that you can follow the signal path would
be helpful, but with patience you can trace things out.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark Zacharias[_3_] Mark Zacharias[_3_] is offline

"Rudy Williams" wrote in message
t...
Hello--

I own an Akai GX-210D reel to reel unit and am experiencing some playback
issues. I would like to know your opinion on if I need to take it in for
repair, or if this is something I can address myself. (I am fairly handy
and have some background in electronics, soldering, etc.)

During forward playback, audio is heard from the left channel only
(speakers or headphones). During reverse playback, audio is heard in the
right channel only. With alcohol, I cleaned the heads, capstan, rollers,
etc. Typically I mount the tape reel on the left spindle and the take up
reel on the right spindle. If reverse where I mount the reels, the
behavior is opposite.

What are your thoughts?

Rudy

If as I understand it's an auto-reverse model, see if there might be a
lubrication problem involving moving the heads up/down for a particular
direction. I think a few of the old Akai's did it that way, and reversed the
channels with a relay.

Mark Z.