Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default this TT... OPINIONS?

Ordinarily, I'd not consider a direct drive TT, but here's one for
which I'd make an exception. But unless I'm overlooking something,
this one seems WAY overpriced, even w/ Black Widow arm, no? Anyone
here more familiar w/ these items, and have a better sense of what I
should expect to pay?

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1143662633

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

Ordinarily, I'd not consider a direct drive TT, but here's one for
which I'd make an exception. But unless I'm overlooking something,
this one seems WAY overpriced, even w/ Black Widow arm, no? Anyone
here more familiar w/ these items, and have a better sense of what I
should expect to pay?

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1143662633

The TT can be had for about $200 often on ebay, and the arm for about
100-200. The thing is the Benz. It's about 700-800 new, so if it's
truly in good shape, the package might be worth about $800, in my
estimation. For the money asked, I would save a bit more and go for the
Clearaudio Emotion or a Rega P3.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo

"Jenn" wrote in message

Ordinarily, I'd not consider a direct drive TT, but here's one for
which I'd make an exception. But unless I'm overlooking something,
this one seems WAY overpriced, even w/ Black Widow arm, no? Anyone
here more familiar w/ these items, and have a better sense of what I
should expect to pay?

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....abl&1143662633

The TT can be had for about $200 often on ebay, and the arm for about
100-200. The thing is the Benz. It's about 700-800 new, so if it's
truly in good shape, the package might be worth about $800, in my
estimation. For the money asked, I would save a bit more and go for the
Clearaudio Emotion or a Rega P3.

Not only that, but the Benz cartridge is not a good fit with the Black Widow
arm, which is extremely low mass and works well only with extremely high
compliance cartridges such as the Shure V15 and ADC XLM series. That may be
why it is being sold (knowingly or unknowingly).

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Thanks for your opinions, Jenn & Harry. Didn't know much about Benz
cartridges. I might very well stick w/ belt-drive and a more
moderately-priced cartridge, and let someone w/ more play money snap
up the PD441. (It sure looks elegant, though!)