Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Sony CD spindle motor ?

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"Mark Zacharias" wrote in message
"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"isw" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"Soundhaspriority" wrote:

I've got a 202ES player where the motor does not reliably start. If it
starts, it runs at the correct speed. Usage was very light.

Is there any active circuitry inside the motor, or just a Hall effect
sensor?

How many poles does it have?

Just about every CD spindle motor I've ever seen has been a "universal"
type with brushes.

My guess is that there's some dirt or corrosion in or around the
commutator. Take it apart (carefully, or you'll ruin the brushes), and
give things a good polish. Be sure to look for faulty solder joints on
the armature, too.

Isaac

Hi, Isaac. Thanks for your response. I'm shocked it has a commutator.
How is constant speed maintained?

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Timing data is recovered from the cd itself and frame sync is maintained
by the decoder IC and motor drive circuit.

Mark Z.

Thanks, Mark. Since the motor is apparently a brush, DC servo design, it
does seem likely that the fault is in the motor itself.

How does the CD spindle attach to the motor shaft? Has anybody removed and
replaced one? Press fit, interference fit, bonded?

**Cyanoacrylate.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"Mark Zacharias" wrote in message
"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"isw" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"Soundhaspriority" wrote:

[...]

Better get it right the first time, and don't let any run down into the top
bearing of the motor.

They are in fact press-fit at the factory, with the exception of a few that
use set-screws. These will be metal of course, not plastic.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"Mark Zacharias" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"Mark Zacharias" wrote in message
"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"isw" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"Soundhaspriority" wrote:

[...]

Interesting. Answer took a long time coming, but interesting

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Not quite sure what you meant by "long time coming". I responded in a timely
fashion to Trevor's , " **Cyanoacrylate. "

Suggestion.

Mark Z.

Sony CD spindle motor ? bob[_4_] Tech 8 April 23rd 09 06:26 AM
Sony CD spindle motor ? isw Tech 1 April 21st 09 01:29 AM
Sony CD spindle motor ? Ron[_11_] Tech 2 April 20th 09 03:29 PM
Sony CD spindle motor ? Ron[_11_] Vacuum Tubes 2 April 20th 09 03:29 PM
Sony CD spindle motor ? Gareth Magennis Tech 0 April 20th 09 12:18 PM