kb

Default cartridge survey

Hi
What is your opinion for the best cartridge under $500.00 to use with a Linn
Axis table, and a Basik plus tonearm?
thanks
kb

kb wrote:
Hi
What is your opinion for the best cartridge under $500.00 to use with

a Linn
Axis table, and a Basik plus tonearm?
thanks
kb

Audio-Technica AT440ML

TB

Marc Phillips

Tim Brown said:

kb wrote:
Hi
What is your opinion for the best cartridge under $500.00 to use with

a Linn
Axis table, and a Basik plus tonearm?
thanks
kb

Audio-Technica AT440ML

Problem is, the AT440ML is definitely not for everyone's tastes. I like it,
personally, and the price is right, but I used to recommend it to everyone
looking for a nice cheap cartridge, and quite a few people bought it and hated
it. I think a slightly more universal choice in this price range would be the
Ortofon OM-20.

Since this guy would consider spending up to $500, however, he really needs to
look at cartridges like the Dynavector 10X5 and the Clearaudio Aurum Beta (or
even Beta S), which are clearly in a different class than the AT and the
Ortofon.

Boon

Marc Phillips

Tim Brown said:

kb wrote:
[...]

Kind of bright and etchy and hard-sounding, IIRC. I don't think it's that bad,
but it's not the last word in smoothness.

Boon

Amy discussion of cartridge selection has to take into account what
kind of phono section it will be driving.

Bruce J. Richman

calcerise wrote:

Amy discussion of cartridge selection has to take into account what
kind of phono section it will be driving.

In the sub-$ 500 range, prospective purchasers should also consider the Grado
Platinum wood-bidied cartridge. This highly musical carrtridge is anything but
etched. Or for evren more refinement, the Grado Sonata at $ 500 MSRP is a
worthwhile step up. Both cartridges come in bvoth low output nad high output
versions from one of America's oldest cartridgte manufacturers.

Bruce J. Richman

Pooh Bear

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote:

calcerise wrote:

Amy discussion of cartridge selection has to take into account what
kind of phono section it will be driving.

In the sub-$ 500 range, prospective purchasers should also consider the Grado
Platinum wood-bidied cartridge. This highly musical carrtridge is anything but
etched. Or for evren more refinement, the Grado Sonata at $ 500 MSRP is a
worthwhile step up. Both cartridges come in bvoth low output nad high output
versions from one of America's oldest cartridgte manufacturers.

Just out of interest... how does the wood body help - or is it purely ornamentation
?

Graham

Clyde Slick

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote:

calcerise wrote:

Amy discussion of cartridge selection has to take into account what
kind of phono section it will be driving.

In the sub-$ 500 range, prospective purchasers should also consider the
Grado
Platinum wood-bidied cartridge. This highly musical carrtridge is
anything but
etched. Or for evren more refinement, the Grado Sonata at $ 500 MSRP is
worthwhile step up. Both cartridges come in bvoth low output nad high
output
versions from one of America's oldest cartridgte manufacturers.

Just out of interest... how does the wood body help - or is it purely
ornamentation
?

Don't you think plastic looks way cool?

jeffc

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Just out of interest... how does the wood body help - or is it purely

ornamentation
?

Well different materials have different resonant frequencies and vibration
absorption properties. Which is not an answer to your question....

Bruce J. Richman

jeffc wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Just out of interest... how does the wood body help - or is it purely

ornamentation
?

Well different materials have different resonant frequencies and vibration
absorption properties. Which is not an answer to your question....

The designers and/or engineers at Grado would have to answer this question.
However, it's interesting to note that Grado has a full line of cartridgtes,
starting, IIRC, at about $ 40, and wood is used only n their premium models.
Also, other well-known cartriege brands such as Koetsu and Clearaudio have also
made cartridges with wood bodies.

Bruce J. Richman

Marc Phillips

Pooh Bear said:

"Bruce J. Richman" wrote:

calcerise wrote:

Amy discussion of cartridge selection has to take into account what
kind of phono section it will be driving.

In the sub-$ 500 range, prospective purchasers should also consider the

Grado
Platinum wood-bidied cartridge. This highly musical carrtridge is anything

but
etched. Or for evren more refinement, the Grado Sonata at $ 500 MSRP is a
worthwhile step up. Both cartridges come in bvoth low output nad high

output
versions from one of America's oldest cartridgte manufacturers.

Just out of interest... how does the wood body help - or is it purely
ornamentation
?

Wood-bodied cartridges definitely sound different than their plastic-bodied, or
aluminum-bodied, or whatever-bodied counterparts. Listen to a Clearaudio
Virtuoso Wood cartridge in comparison to the Clearaudio Aurum Beta S, which is
the cheaper aluminum-bodied version of the same, and tell me if YOU hear a
difference. I certainly did.

I'm currently on my second wood-bodied cartridge, and I don't think I'll ever
go back.

Boon
normanstrong

"kb" wrote in message
Hi
What is your opinion for the best cartridge under $500.00 to use

with a Linn
Axis table, and a Basik plus tonearm?

Use something made by Shure. Unless you live alone and are the only
person who CAN mess with your equipment, use a cartridge with a
user-replaceable stylus.

Norm Strong

Arny Krueger

"jeffc" wrote in message

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Just out of interest... how does the wood body help - or is it
purely ornamentation ?

Well different materials have different resonant frequencies and
vibration absorption properties. Which is not an answer to your
question....

Right, its not an answer.

In chunks the size of a typical cartridge body, no big differences should be
expected. ...other than perhaps changing total tone arm mass, which most
would agree is a secondary, almost unintended change.

jeffc

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"jeffc" wrote in message

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Just out of interest... how does the wood body help - or is it
purely ornamentation ?

Well different materials have different resonant frequencies and
vibration absorption properties. Which is not an answer to your
question....

Right, its not an answer.

Thank you for your authoritative confirmation, Dr. Krueger. What on earth
would we do without you?

Arny Krueger

"jeffc" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"jeffc" wrote in message

"Pooh Bear" wrote in
message ...

Just out of interest... how does the wood body help - or is it
purely ornamentation ?

Well different materials have different resonant frequencies and
vibration absorption properties. Which is not an answer to your
question....

Right, its not an answer.

Thank you for your authoritative confirmation, Dr. Krueger. What on
earth would we do without you?

Given the relative dearth of effective and relevant technical knowlege
around here, without me, you'd have zero chance of growing a brain.

Arny Krueger

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

What are your chances of growing a brain?

Been there done that. Scott, you ought to try it some time.

About the same as taking the offer and debating Atkinson in public?

Thanks Scott for joining Middius in my custom-made-for-RAO-trolls idiot box.

About the same as pigs taking flight?

You obviously know more about the aerodynamic properties of pigs than I do!

About the same as you ever achieving anything of note in this world?

Given all of the live recordings I''ve been making lately, it would appear
that I've achieved many things of note in this world.

Ooh, sorry, that one might have hurt.

You obviously know more about hurting than I do! BTW Scott. are you going to
try to take a tax deduction for the expenses of your failed lawsuit against
me, Scott?

Have a good day on Usenet Arny.

Bye!

S888Wheel

From: "Arny Krueger"
Date: 12/14/2004 8:09 AM Pacific Standard Time
"S888Wheel" wrote in message

What are your chances of growing a brain?

Been there done that. Scott, you ought to try it some time.

You've been watching too many horror films Arny. They are make believe and you
didn't really participate in them. (cuckoo, cuckoo)

About the same as taking the offer and debating Atkinson in public?

Thanks Scott for joining Middius in my custom-made-for-RAO-trolls idiot box.

Yeah right. You won't show. You are obviously scared to death. It is fun to
push the fear button on the Arnybot though.

About the same as pigs taking flight?

You obviously know more about the aerodynamic properties of pigs than I do!

I guess you haven't heard that one. You do need to get out more.

About the same as you ever achieving anything of note in this world?

Given all of the live recordings I''ve been making lately, it would appear
that I've achieved many things of note in this world.

As dave Weil would say, you owe me a new keyboard. At least you won't be quite
so disappointed with such low standards of achievement. what is the commercial
release date of those recordings? what label are they on? LOL. Maybe you should
by a drill press and join Howie in the real fun.

Ooh, sorry, that one might have hurt.

You obviously know more about hurting than I do!

I have no need to numb my senses Arny. We can all understand your need to do
so. You have my sympathy. Well, maybe not.

BTW Scott. are you going to
try to take a tax deduction for the expenses of your failed lawsuit against
me, Scott?

Of course not. I suppose Atkinson will do so when you con him into buying
airfare and hotel room. To bad you will be a no show.

Have a good day on Usenet Arny.

Bye!

MINe 109

In article z,
The Devil wrote:

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:09:12 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

What are your chances of growing a brain?

Been there done that.

Er ... might sound silly to ask, but where does one go to grow a
brain? Apart from a womb, of c--

Shoe-box?

Ugh. On second thoughts, forget I asked.

Haven't heard from Dr. Hfuhruhurr for a while now...

Stephen