matthieu

Default Questions about DR4D-VR and DR8

Hello

i have several questions about both unit as i plan to buy one of these
in a very near future.

- can both unit record multiple sessions, can i switch from one
project to another, saving all tracks and parameters ?
- the DR4D-VR is said to have 256 virtual tracks. what about the DR8
?
- if i buy a DR4D-VR and then need more inputs/outputs, can i buy
another DR4D-VR and sync/slave it to the other one ?
- apart from 4 additional tracks, what do the DR8 have that the
DR4D-VR don't ?

i've read both units manual (downloaded from the net) but it's still
pretty obscure to me as i've never tried them... thanks for any info

matthieu
Rob Reedijk

matthieu wrote:
Hello

i have several questions about both unit as i plan to buy one of these
in a very near future.

- can both unit record multiple sessions, can i switch from one
project to another, saving all tracks and parameters ?

Yes for the Dr8 (all parameters, though, not sure). No for a Dr4 v3.
Dr4VR? not sure.

- the DR4D-VR is said to have 256 virtual tracks. what about the DR8

No virtual tracks. But it has 5 takes.

?
- if i buy a DR4D-VR and then need more inputs/outputs, can i buy
another DR4D-VR and sync/slave it to the other one ?

Yes.

- apart from 4 additional tracks, what do the DR8 have that the
DR4D-VR don't ?

A built in fully featured mixer, can handle mic level inputs. Options
such as superview (keyboard and monitor). Interchangeability with
the Dr16 (you can not sync a Dr4 and Dr8 together except by SMPTE)).
The Dr4 has a few neat tricks that the Dr8 doesn't, though. Ping-pong
is a great tick that has the secret feature of allowing you to change
the level of a track for sections within itself.

I am selling my Dr8, if you are interested.

Rob R.
Jim Kollens

Matthieu: - if i buy a DR4D-VR and then need more inputs/outputs, can i
buy
another DR4D-VR and sync/slave it to the other one ?

I know nothing about the DR8's but I have three DR4's and they can be synced
easily if you have the cables. They are actually quite decent units if they
have the correct hard drive (check with Akai; they should still have a list).
If you want to increase hard drives you could be in a bit of trouble but you
could try what you might. I would imagine you can get these things pretty
cheap now. I record primarilly in analog but I still occasionally use my
DR4's.
Rob Reedijk

matthieu wrote:
thanks to both of you
another question : does the DR4D-VR have gain automation via MIDI ?
it's really important for me...

Definitely not. Dr8 has snapshot automation and also gain automation
through midi, but only on the mixer outputs. (Not the individual tracks).

Rob R.
Rob Reedijk

Croline wrote:

Definitely not. Dr8 has snapshot automation and also gain automation
through midi, but only on the mixer outputs. (Not the individual tracks).

so the automation can only be heard on the main L/R output ? it's damn
stupid !

That has always frustrated me to no end. It would have been a far more
powerful system otherwise.

However, you can eek out 4 channels of automation, if you like. The two
on the main L/R and then also you have the two sends. One of the many
hidden tricks.

ok i forget about the DR8. i'll get a DR4d-VR and i'll do the automation by
hand !

Well, then it isn't automation anymore!

Rob R.

Croline

That has always frustrated me to no end. It would have been a far more
powerful system otherwise.

that's true. and those machines used to be so expensive. i'm not a pro but
this ain't professional at all.

However, you can eek out 4 channels of automation, if you like. The two
on the main L/R and then also you have the two sends. One of the many
hidden tricks.

ok... i hope there are some on the DR4d-VR. i also secretly hope i can make
loops with it : the DR4 slaved to a midi sequencer in loop and make loads of
layers with my guitar thanks to the footswitch 'punch in/out' function -the
whole thing in realtime. but i think i'm dreaming. am i ?

another question : you told me you can't save/switch sessions on a DR4, is
there any trick to deal with it ? (this is also damn stupid)

Well, then it isn't automation anymore!

i know
but ain't my arms automated by my brain ?

thanks
matthieu

Rob Reedijk

Croline wrote:
That has always frustrated me to no end. It would have been a far more
powerful system otherwise.

that's true. and those machines used to be so expensive. i'm not a pro but
this ain't professional at all.

In all fairness, it's a multitrack recorder. The fact that there is a
built in mixer and mic preamps is a bonus.

However, you can eek out 4 channels of automation, if you like. The two
on the main L/R and then also you have the two sends. One of the many
hidden tricks.

ok... i hope there are some on the DR4d-VR. i also secretly hope i can make
loops with it : the DR4 slaved to a midi sequencer in loop and make loads of
layers with my guitar thanks to the footswitch 'punch in/out' function -the
whole thing in realtime. but i think i'm dreaming. am i ?

Maybe a bit. But a neat thing is if you have it play in loop mode, it
is seamless. With a Dr8, it needs a moment between the out and the
in.

The best trick the Dr4 has is ping-pong mode. The hidden trick is that
you can ping-pong a single track to itself. Why would you do that? Good
question little cricket (just kidding!), the reason is that when you ping
pong, you set mix levels. So it means you can adjust the levels of
individual tracks over specified points. Example, a musician plays one note
too low, you can change the level of just that note. There's an
alternative to automation for you. You can't do this on a Dr8 unless you
record through the busses in real time.

another question : you told me you can't save/switch sessions on a DR4, is
there any trick to deal with it ? (this is also damn stupid)

Yes---keep stuff on separate drives! But don't hook them up at the same
time with different SCSI IDs, since, I beleive it all becomes one project
across several drives. Hook up one drive at a time.

Rob R.

Well, then it isn't automation anymore!

i know
but ain't my arms automated by my brain ?

Croline

Maybe a bit. But a neat thing is if you have it play in loop mode, it
is seamless. With a Dr8, it needs a moment between the out and the
in.

great ! i'll see what happen for my loop idea... (crossing fingers)

The best trick the Dr4 has is ping-pong mode. The hidden trick is that
you can ping-pong a single track to itself. Why would you do that? Good
question little cricket (just kidding!), the reason is that when you ping
pong, you set mix levels. So it means you can adjust the levels of
individual tracks over specified points. Example, a musician plays one

note
too low, you can change the level of just that note. There's an
alternative to automation for you. You can't do this on a Dr8 unless you
record through the busses in real time.

nice trick ! thank you

Yes---keep stuff on separate drives! But don't hook them up at the same
time with different SCSI IDs, since, I beleive it all becomes one project
across several drives. Hook up one drive at a time.

ok. i would then need 2 hard drives. but i guess i can make several projects
on a same session, just start each one just one hour later ?

i found one backup trick while searching on the net : record a short click
on all tracks at the same time at the beginning of the session, then backup
the 2 stereo tracks from the digital output to a computer. get them back to
the DR4 via digital input when needed, adjust the click to sync both pair of
tracks.

one last question : i'm lost with all the different names : some sell a DR4D
which has "virtual tracks", very rare are those selling a DR4vr, some say
they got OS 3.0, some talk about OS 4.01. the DR4Dvr also seems to be white
? i'm lost ! which came first, which came last ? which is the best ?

thanks a lot for your answers
matthieu

Jim Kollens

does the DR4D-VR have gain automation via MIDI ?
it's really important for me...

I haven't a clue. Call up Akai.
Jim Kollens

Since I don't use noise reduction with my analog deck, I have occasionally run
into situations where tape hiss is a problem. I recorded a dude recently who
sings and plays piano. His dynamic range is massive and you can hear the tape
hiss when he gets real soft, even using GP9. So, we use the DR4 and with great
pre's and mikes it sounds just fine. Surprisingly fine.