Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ed Presson[_2_] Ed Presson[_2_] is offline

Default Electrostatics, anyone?

My first good stereo speakers were the original Quad Electrostatic
Loudspeakers. I thought they were remarkable,
despite the lack of any really deep bass and some rolled-off highs. On
voice, they are the only speakers that ever
made me jump thinking someone else was in the room.

About a decade later, I splurged on a double-pair of KLH-9s. Better in
some, but not all, ways.

Over the years, I heard Acoustat, Koss, Beveridge (sp?), Sound Lab ESLs, and
more recent Quad models.
The original Martin-Logan CLS created an amazing holographic image, but
totally transparent-but without bass
or a palpable sense of acoustic power heard in a good concert hall.

All of these ESLs, seemed to me to have a limited dynamic range and lose
their transparency when pushed by large
orchestral works. Nonetheless, I was always attracted to certain ESL
characteristics and remain so, even though
I now have Infinity speakers with EMIT and EMIM drivers.

Is Martin-Logan the ESL manufacturer left standing? Has anyone heard (or
heard of) and ESL that finally
minimized the limits I described above?

Ed Presson

FS Beveridge 2SW, Electrostatics only David Ginsberg Marketplace 3 March 21st 05 02:04 PM
Electrostatics Steve Batt Vacuum Tubes 4 December 31st 03 06:26 AM
EBay Item Not Sold:Mismatched Quad Electrostatics for parties and powerful bass performance [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 0 December 9th 03 12:13 PM
Sound Lab electrostatics on ebay Charles Andrews Marketplace 0 July 23rd 03 10:02 PM