Margaret von Busenhalter

Default Is the Roland VS-2480 really that bad?

"Margaret von Busenhalter" wrote in message
My 78 RPM archiving project is progressing fairly well -- 330 done, 4,002

go. And no clay pigeons so far! So far I've decided to record them with

ML-5
open reel deck using 1/4 inch tape at 15 ips. I did try to go digital

twice.
First with my Philips Acoustic Edge soundcard which is one of the better
sounding consumer cards IME and then with a Roland VS-2480 DAW. When I
listened the digital recordings with Genelec 1031A monitors, they sounded
VERY good and not that different from the analog ones. However, when

played
through the Avant Garde horns, the digital recordings sounded
unsatisfactory, especially the ones made with the Philips. It is really

hard
to verbalize what was wrong with them but lets just say that they were
lacking dynamics, coherence and bass. They also sounded glassy and somehow
flat. I got other opinions as well and then turned the recording task to
someone who does it for living, just for kicks. Many pairs of ears

preferred
the analog, no one preferred the digital recordings. Given that these are
very old recordings, these results do not seem to make any sense. However,
I'm willing to try to top notch ADC to see what happens because I really
want this stuff on CD as well for anyday & anywhere use. Please advice

which
units I should try.

Thanks and Cheers!

MvB

How would you pros rate the VS-2480? Is the ADC really that bad? Are the
Yamahas any better sounding?

Cheers,

Margaret