Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chad Golden Chad Golden is offline

Default Analog Mixer to External Audio Interface to Computer

I hope some of you guys can help me out. I am new to this whole audio
thing (mixers, compressors, audio interfaces) but I think with a
little guidance from the many years of experience in this group I
should be able to figure it out.

Small Church Audio
----------

This is what I have:

Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro
2- Behringer FBQ3102
HHB Burnit CDR830
various other parts

This is what I want to do:

I want to eliminate the gap between changing CD's and make a "quality"
master (the Burnit sometimes gets a little flakey and makes nice
coasters).

1. What would be the best output on the Mackie to record from (DIRECT
OUT, INSERT to the first click so I can get pre-eq, etc..etc). There
are at least 5 channels that I need to record but only 1 or 2 that
need to be sent to the PA

2. Audio Interfaces...Budget 400.00...this is the part that makes me
want to blow my brains out. I am sick of reading reviews about them. I
want the most channels (1/4 bal) and spdif in for my money via
firewire. Tascam, MOTU, Alesis, M-Audio, Edirol, Presonus, Echo,
Mackie, Focusrite.

I have a headache

Mike I know you got the answer.

My real e-mail is

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Chad Golden wrote:

I hope some of you guys can help me out. I am new to this whole audio
thing (mixers, compressors, audio interfaces) but I think with a
little guidance from the many years of experience in this group I
should be able to figure it out.

Small Church Audio
----------

This is what I have:

Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro
2- Behringer FBQ3102
HHB Burnit CDR830
various other parts

This is what I want to do:

I want to eliminate the gap between changing CD's and make a "quality"
master (the Burnit sometimes gets a little flakey and makes nice
coasters).

It is important to remember that these units often do not appreciate
high-speed CDR media. One must purchase the 8x media in order to rely on
the system. Many reputable vendors offer those. I have only had one bad
burn that was not my own fault in years of use of a CDR850+, and that
bad one was because the ower supply caps had failed and started leaking
acid all over the inside of the machine.

1. What would be the best output on the Mackie to record from (DIRECT
OUT, INSERT to the first click so I can get pre-eq, etc..etc). There
are at least 5 channels that I need to record but only 1 or 2 that
need to be sent to the PA

So far you've been recording two channels. Has that proven insufficient?
If you start multitracking you will incur more mix time than you
imagine.

The first-click insert method works fine.

2. Audio Interfaces...Budget 400.00...this is the part that makes me
want to blow my brains out. I am sick of reading reviews about them. I
want the most channels (1/4 bal) and spdif in for my money via
firewire. Tascam, MOTU, Alesis, M-Audio, Edirol, Presonus, Echo,
Mackie, Focusrite.

Bottom line is that they all work, and it's down to what one prefers
ergonomicly. Looking at your list I'd pick from Presonus, Mackie and

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Apr 7, 11:07 am, "Chad Golden" wrote:

Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro
1. What would be the best output on the Mackie to record from (DIRECT
OUT, INSERT to the first click so I can get pre-eq, etc..etc). There
are at least 5 channels that I need to record but only 1 or 2 that
need to be sent to the PA

I 'm assuming that you want to go to a computer for your recordings.

The Insert jacks are the closest outputs to the preamp. I'd suggest
making some custom cables to connect between the mixer and your multi-
channel computer audio interface that have a jumper between the tip
and ring terminals of the plug on the mixer end. That will allow you
to put the plug all the way into the jack rather than halfway, without
interrupting the signal flow in the mixer.

I'd also recommend that rather than the Main outputs, you feed the PA
from an Auxiliary Send. Since you'll probably end up with an 8-channel
interface, you'll have plenty of spare channels, so I'd recommend also
connecting the Main or Tape outputs of the mixer to a pair of channels
so you can record the full mix on a pair of tracks, or better, a
single stereo track. With the PA fed from an Aux send, you'll have
independent control of the recording mix and the PA mix so you can
turn off the channels you don't want in the PA but you need on the
recording.

This way, you'll have a stereo track of a mix that you can use for
making a quick CD, and you'll have the individual tracks in case you
want to play with the mix later. And just because things go wrong,
hook the BurnIt up as well. The more backups the better.

2. Audio Interfaces...Budget 400.00...this is the part that makes me
want to blow my brains out. I am sick of reading reviews about them. I
want the most channels (1/4 bal) and spdif in for my money via
firewire.

You know, reviews and specs for a product like this in that price
range really don't make any difference. Buy the one that has the
inputs and outputs that you need and that you can afford. When in
doubt, buy Presonus or M-Audio. They've been doing it longer than
anyone else, keeping models in the product line longest (so they must
be good), have a reputation for having drivers that work most of the
time, and you can't afford RME or better.

Mike I know you got the answer.

Not me. I don't have any answers. Just recommendations.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chad Golden Chad Golden is offline

I really appreciate the good advice and the prompt response. I'm sure
i'll be back in a few days for some more advice.

Thanks,

Chad Golden
my real email is

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Chad Golden" wrote...
Small Church Audio
This is what I have:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro
2- Behringer FBQ3102
HHB Burnit CDR830
various other parts

This is what I want to do:
I want to eliminate the gap between changing CD's

You haven't told us what you are recording (specifically
why it is too long for a single 80 minute CD and why
you must swap, etc?)

and make a "quality" master (the Burnit sometimes gets
a little flakey and makes nice coasters).

As others have mentioned, it may be getting harder to find
decent 1x CDR discs to use in those things. Choice of blank
media is critical and shouldn't be taken for granted.

1. What would be the best output on the Mackie to
record from (DIRECT OUT, INSERT to the first click
so I can get pre-eq, etc..etc). There are at least 5 channels
that I need to record but only 1 or 2 that need to be sent
to the PA

Are you saying that you want to record the ~5 channels
independently and then mix-down later? Or are you using
the mixer to create a "recording mix"? Stereo? Mono?
You seem to be making great jumps in the story and thus
leaving critical gaps for us to guess at.

2. Audio Interfaces...Budget 400.00...this is the part
that makes me want to blow my brains out. I am sick
of reading reviews about them. I want the most channels
(1/4 bal) and spdif in for my money via firewire. Tascam,
MOTU, Alesis, M-Audio, Edirol, Presonus, Echo, Mackie,
Focusrite.

Dunno? Are you wanting to record multi-channel or
stereo/mono? Do you really want to record multi-track?
What is the purpose of the recordings? Do you have the
resources (or schedule?) to do the required post-production
mixing, etc? What level of quality do you think you need?

I have a headache

Take a deep breath and try to tell us the whole story.
You may be setting yourself up for chronic migranes if
you try recording multi-track and then have to mix it
all down before you can use anything. It wouldn't be
prudent to recommend anything without knowing what
you are trying to do?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Apr 7, 12:31 pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:

You haven't told us what you are recording (specifically
why it is too long for a single 80 minute CD and why
you must swap, etc?)

This setup is for a small Church. The worship service usually lasts 1hr
+ without a predefined end.

Are you saying that you want to record the ~5 channels
independently and then mix-down later? Or are you using
the mixer to create a "recording mix"? Stereo? Mono?
You seem to be making great jumps in the story and thus
leaving critical gaps for us to guess at.

I do want to record 5 channels independandly on my Mac..and mix down
when I get home. This is for a master backup should the CD-R not burn
properly.

Sorry for the confusion...I have only used the mixing equipment twice.
I really don't know the mixer well enough to know how to use it
properly...I am comfortable using a computer and that's how I would
like to mix.

Dunno? Are you wanting to record multi-channel or
stereo/mono?

Multi-channel

Do you really want to record multi-track?

Yes

What is the purpose of the recordings?

archival / backup
Do you have the resources (or schedule?) to do the required post-production
mixing, etc?

I got all the time in the world.

What level of quality do you think you need?

I do not need to produce a high quality recording. It just needs to be
as seemless as possible...our Audio technica wireless lapel mike cuts
out from time to time and I would like to smooth those bumps out. We
have a potium mike and two choir mikes that I could pull the audio
from and fill in those short gaps

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chad Golden Chad Golden is offline

Sorry for the confusion on the last post. I think i need a break

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Apr 7, 11:56 am, "Mike Rivers" wrote:
[...]

Would you recommend an older firewire interface...I do not need 24/96
just need something that will be solid (MOTU 828 pre mkii???) or
anything else that I maybe able to procure on Ebay.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Chad Golden wrote:

"Richard Crowley" wrote:

You haven't told us what you are recording (specifically
why it is too long for a single 80 minute CD and why
you must swap, etc?)

This setup is for a small Church. The worship service usually lasts 1hr
+ without a predefined end.

Should be no problem getting that on one CDR unless the "+" starts
running over about 18 minutes.

[...]

Reads to me as if the first thing to do is fix the A-T wireless mic. It
shouldn't be cutting out, and fixing that is going to be cheaper and
quicker than any of the rest of this, even if you have to buy a new mic.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Apr 7, 2:07 pm, "Chad Golden" wrote:

Would you recommend an older firewire interface...I do not need 24/96
just need something that will be solid (MOTU 828 pre mkii???) or
anything else that I maybe able to procure on Ebay.

The risk with buying an older one is that the driver might not be up
to date and you'll have a harder time getting it to work with your
computers. Firewire isn't as plug-and-play as they'd like us to
believe unless you're connecting something like a camera or disk
drive. Also, about every 4 to 6 months they seem to come out with
better converter chips.

You're probably safe buying the one-before-current model (if you can
figure out what that is) but since you're just getting started with
this and don't have a lot of troubleshooting experience (and don't kid
yourself - very few people do) it's best to avoid pain-in-the-neck
situations.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Apr 7, 3:20 pm, (hank alrich) wrote:
Chad Golden wrote:
"Richard Crowley" wrote:

[...]

Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam- Hide quoted text -

The service on Sunday morning is divided into two parts: Sunday School
and Worship. The first part is not a problem...I can change discs
before the second half of the service. I start recording again at ~11
and the service usually lasts until 12:15...not a problem. It's the
services that last until 12:45 or 1 where I run into the disc swap
problem.

1 out of 10 times after I finalize a disc it will be unreadable in our
duplicator. Have you ever flipped a disc over and looked to see how
much has been burned on it. On the bad discs there will be ~1mm burned
at the very center then there will be a gap in the burned area, then
it will continue to burn to the end of the data flow.???

I agree, the mic situation should be fixed, but that is not my only
reason for wanting to bring the audio into my computer. The main
reason is for posterity, the second is because I want to learn how to
do it. I love a new challenge!

Are the A-T mics good mics?

Any advice on troubleshooting this device?
We change the batterys well before they need to be.
There are no other wireless devices that are near the transmitter or
the reciever.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Apr 7, 4:26 pm, "Chad Golden" wrote:

1 out of 10 times after I finalize a disc it will be unreadable in our
duplicator. Have you ever flipped a disc over and looked to see how
much has been burned on it. On the bad discs there will be ~1mm burned
at the very center then there will be a gap in the burned area, then
it will continue to burn to the end of the data flow.???

I've never seen that, but I've had problems with a stand-alone CD
burner before. I have a TASCAM CD-RW5000 and when it was new, nice,
slow speed blanks were the norm and they all worked just fine. Then,
as operating speeds got higher, they didn't work so well on a real
time recorder. Lately I've been using Taiyo Yuden sllver 80 minute
blanks that a re a little more expensive than the ones I used to buy
on sale at Office Depot, about 30 cents each, but I've never had a
problem since I started using them. It might be worth buying a stack
and trying them in your recorder.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Apr 7, 7:26 pm, "Mike Rivers" wrote:
[...]

I know that we have purchased some more "expensive" discs...but I
don't know that they were the right ones for the system. That will be
the next thing on my list.

After reading your first post I went down to the Church and spent some
quality time looking at the options that are available on the mixer
and other equipment. I have spent the last five hours in front of the
mixer and I don't think that I will need an 8-channel external
soundcard.

Let me get some opinions on routing:

AUX SEND 1 to AMP to STAGE MONITORS
AUX SEND 2 to EQ to CD and TAPE via Y cable
AUX SEND 3 to BEHRINGER Virtualizer Pro to CHANNEL 16 (1/4 Line) (is
this correct??)

MAIN OUT L/R to EQ to AMP's to SPEAKERS

CHANNELS 1-14 XLR Mic's (10 we don't use on a regular basis)
CHANNEL 15 (1/4 Line) from CD-R RCA (Line Out) (Incorrect cabling?
TRS from split RCA)
CHANNEL 16 (1/4 Line) from BEHRINGER Virtualizer Pro from AUX SEND 3
(is this correct??)

All other connections are blank. Where would you tap the signal to
bring it into a PC. I don't think I will need more than 4 - 1/4 in's
at a time. I thought about coming from the digital out on the CD-R but
I don't know if I want the EQ effects in the PC....I think I would
like the audio as Dry as possible when it comes into my PC. But I
definitely don't need alot of channels.

Opinions anyone?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Apr 7, 11:30 pm, "Chad Golden" wrote:

I know that we have purchased some more "expensive" discs...but I
don't know that they were the right ones for the system. That will be
the next thing on my list.

It doesn't seem to be a matter of cost, it's just who makes them and
how. There are only a few actual makers of CD-R blanks but they make
them in a range of quality and packaging, and put whatever name on
them that their customer wants. You pay as much for the name and the
package as you do for a quality coating on the disk. I think you can
still get 16X blanks from Mitsui (the CD branch is now called MAM-A)
but most brands are 48X speed or higher. With some of the dies that
they use, when run at 1X speed, the recorder's laser can't be set low
enough in power so the pits get too sloppy.

My TASCAM recorder (and probably just about all others) performs a
writing test on an unused portion of the disk when you first insert
it. If it can't set the laser power for a good recording, it rejects
the disk. So you don't make so many coasters, but you don't make a
recording on every disk you try, either. The Taiyo Yuden disks that
I'm using always pass that test and when recording, always play on
other players.

I have spent the last five hours in front of the
mixer and I don't think that I will need an 8-channel external
soundcard.

You will if you want to send direct outputs from the mics to
individual tracks on your computer. You may not need 8 channels, but
you might have to buy 8 channels to get more than 2 or 4.

AUX SEND 1 to AMP to STAGE MONITORS

OK, that's pretty conventional

AUX SEND 2 to EQ to CD and TAPE via Y cable

That will give you a mono recording, which I guess is OK for your
purposes. I suppose that you're using the Aux Send rather than the
tape output because you said that you didn't use all of the mics on
the house mix, so the TAPE Output of the mixer won't do for this.

AUX SEND 3 to BEHRINGER Virtualizer Pro to CHANNEL 16 (1/4 Line) (is
this correct??)

Usually an Aux Return is used for this, but a channel will work as
well. Using a channel gives you the option of using the channel EQ on
the output of the Virtualizer, and gives you more control over where
you send its output. The VLZ mixers have a clever setup that allows
you to (in addition to it going to the Main L/R mix) send the Aux
Return 1 signal to Aux Send 1 so you can put an effect connected to
Aux Return 1 to the monitors connected to Aux Send 1, and similarly,
what's connected to Aux Return 2 can be routed to Aux Send 2. It's
kind of confusing until you try it.

MAIN OUT L/R to EQ to AMP's to SPEAKERS

Yup

CHANNELS 1-14 XLR Mic's (10 we don't use on a regular basis)

Yup

CHANNEL 15 (1/4 Line) from CD-R RCA (Line Out) (Incorrect cabling?
TRS from split RCA)

That's wrong. I assume this is for CD playback through the PA. If you
use a cable with a TRS plug to two RCA plugs, the tip of the plug will
get one channel of the CD and the ring will get the other channel.
When connected to a balanced input like you have on the Mackie mixer,
the two don't add, they subtract. Most CDs will sound pretty bad. You
could connect the CD player directly to the TAPE IN jacks, or you
could use a TS-to-RCA cable with an RCA Y adapter on the CD player
end. That will sum both channels with the Y adapter and allow you to
connect it to a single mono mixer input. It's not the best way to sum
two channels (someone is bound to lecture you about that) but it's
rare that it doesn't work just fine.

CHANNEL 16 (1/4 Line) from BEHRINGER Virtualizer Pro from AUX SEND 3
(is this correct??)

See above.

All other connections are blank. Where would you tap the signal to
bring it into a PC. I don't think I will need more than 4 - 1/4 in's
at a time.

This is where you'd use either the Direct or Insert outputs. And since
there are more than two of them, you'd need a sound card with multiple
inputs, hence my suggestion for eight. You could connect the TAPE OUT
or the other set of Main outputs to a 2-channel sound card, but then
you'd be recording the same thing you send to the PA.

You said that some of the mics weren't used in the PA. I took this to
mean that you wanted to record them on their own tracks anyway because
you might want to use them on the recording. For example, if there's
an electric guitar it might be loud enough from its amplifier to be
heard by the audience, but if you don't put a mic on it, it won't be
loud enough in the recording. If this isn't the case, and if what you
meant is that you want to record what's going to the PA, and that the
"don't use" just means that you have those faders pulled down, then
you don't need to record multitrack.

Recording multiple tracks means that you can spend as much time as you
need on the mix. But if it's not very complicated, you can probably
mix live just fine. That's up to you.

I thought about coming from the digital out on the CD-R but
I don't know if I want the EQ effects in the PC....I think I would
like the audio as Dry as possible when it comes into my PC.

This is what the Insert outputs are for. The Direct outputs (channels
1-8) come after the fader and EQ, but don't get the effects. The Main
outputs get everything you hear.

But I definitely don't need alot of channels.

But more than two. And you have to buy what they make, not what you
wish they'd make just for you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Chad Golden" wrote ...
The service on Sunday morning is divided into two parts: Sunday School
and Worship. The first part is not a problem...I can change discs
before the second half of the service. I start recording again at ~11
and the service usually lasts until 12:15...not a problem. It's the
services that last until 12:45 or 1 where I run into the disc swap
problem.

You can't expect to reliably make CD masters under such
unpredictable circumstances. The expectation is unreasonable.

1 out of 10 times after I finalize a disc it will be unreadable in our
duplicator. Have you ever flipped a disc over and looked to see how
much has been burned on it. On the bad discs there will be ~1mm burned
at the very center then there will be a gap in the burned area, then
it will continue to burn to the end of the data flow.???

What brand/speed discs are you using? This is a critical
application and you can't use just any old discs.

I agree, the mic situation should be fixed, but that is not my only
reason for wanting to bring the audio into my computer. The main
reason is for posterity, the second is because I want to learn how to
do it. I love a new challenge!

Are the A-T mics good mics?

The general rule of thumb is that wireless mics that cost
less than $400-450 are worthless plastic toys. A-T makes
over a dozen different models of wireless mics. Some of
them are cited as the minimum acceptable quality, and
several models are cheap plastic toys. Without knowing
your model , not possible to answer your question.

Any advice on troubleshooting this device?

Under what conditions does it fail? Does it happen at
any time, or toward te end of a program? Does it happen
at particular physical locations? What happens if you
move the receiver? (Like up to the front, etc.?)

We change the batterys well before they need to be.

How often is that? How did you determine when "they
need to be"?

There are no other wireless devices that are near the
transmitter or the reciever.

Except for dozens of cell phones and two-way pagers,
etc. etc. etc. I am using wireless mics less these days
because of interference from cell phones.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

I think you can
still get 16X blanks from Mitsui (the CD branch is now called MAM-A)
but most brands are 48X speed or higher.

Last time I checked 8x was still available, too.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam