M. Scott Hipkins

Default Acoustic Research HC6 or Similar

Hello all.

I am looking to create a home theater set up. My existing set up will be
migrated into my home theater. That means I need to replace some key
components for our general audio system, including my speakers.

I had read some very good things about the Acoustic Research HC6 system. At
$300-$350, it seemed like an easy decision. Unfortunately, it seems to be
difficult to find now.

Can anyone offer suggestions for a six speaker package in the same price
range that will give good sound quality? This system will play music at
moderate levels and serve as a secondary sssurround sound setup. Movies
will be played on a DVD player and VCR; but, perfect theater sound is not
critical, since it will not be the primary movie watching system.

Thanks for any reasonable suggestions, in advance.

Scott
robin

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:10:42 GMT, "M. Scott Hipkins"
wrote:

Hello all.

I am looking to create a home theater set up. My existing set up will be
migrated into my home theater. That means I need to replace some key
components for our general audio system, including my speakers.

I had read some very good things about the Acoustic Research HC6 system. At
$300-$350, it seemed like an easy decision. Unfortunately, it seems to be
difficult to find now.

Can anyone offer suggestions for a six speaker package in the same price
range that will give good sound quality? This system will play music at
moderate levels and serve as a secondary sssurround sound setup. Movies
will be played on a DVD player and VCR; but, perfect theater sound is not
critical, since it will not be the primary movie watching system.

Thanks for any reasonable suggestions, in advance.

Scott

I think AR is either out of business or on its way. Try Etronics.com-
they may have a set.

M. Scott Hipkins

Greetings Darius.

Here is an update. Acoustic Research had been owned by Recoton, a German
company. They went through some economic problems and have liquidated
much of their operations. They sold the NHT line to Rockford Fosgate.
AR, Advent, and Jensen were sold to Audiovox.

I imagine you could try to contact Audiovox if you have questions about
the AR line's future.

I hope this helps.

Scott

wrote:

[...]

Neil

"M. Scott Hipkins" wrote in message ...
Hello all.

I am looking to create a home theater set up. My existing set up will be
migrated into my home theater. That means I need to replace some key
components for our general audio system, including my speakers.

I had read some very good things about the Acoustic Research HC6 system. At
$300-$350, it seemed like an easy decision. Unfortunately, it seems to be
difficult to find now.

Can anyone offer suggestions for a six speaker package in the same price
range that will give good sound quality?

See this thread in RAO:

Budget Speaker Package