Peter Larsen

lucky chucky wrote:

Hey,

I experienced something really unusual the other evening and was
wondering what you pro guys thought about it. I went to the opening of
a new club in Toronto, and spent about 5 hours there. The music was
pumping really loud, about average for a club I'd say. When I got home
that night, my ears were not ringing whatsoever. Usually after a loud
night at a club, as soon as I lay down in bed I can hear the ringing
from the loud music.

I noticed that they had an unusual sound-system, for a club. All of the
speakers were from Bang & Olufsen, mounted all the way around the room
on the walls. And a nice B&O sub in the corner on the floor. Is there
something special about their speakers that makes them easier on the
ears?

Linearity in frequency and time domains.

Just curious and was wondering what others thought on this topic.

Chucky

Dale Farmer

Peter Larsen wrote:

lucky chucky wrote:

[...]

Cumulative hearing damage.

--Dale

will

It's because you are now deaf. Read my lips - YOU ARE NOW DEAF!

Iain Fraser

i have to agree - you should be VERY concerned about the fact that you don't
have ringing now. It means that that part of your hearing is now gone. Go
get a hearing test and see what kind of damage you've done.

"will" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's because you are now deaf. Read my lips - YOU ARE NOW DEAF!

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"lucky chucky" wrote in message oups.com...

I noticed that they had an unusual sound-system, for a club. All of the
speakers were from Bang & Olufsen, mounted all the way around the room
on the walls. And a nice B&O sub in the corner on the floor. Is there
something special about their speakers that makes them easier on the
ears?

Perhaps we were dealing with the simplicity of merely moving more air
and using a great deal less actual power and volume. (?) If there were
a really large number of speakers properly aligned (as Peter mentioned)
the system may have actually been idling at a much lower power level.
By the same token, we'll assume that there was also some serious
treatment applied to the room... yes?

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com

Pooh Bear

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote:

"lucky chucky" wrote in message oups.com...

I noticed that they had an unusual sound-system, for a club. All of the
speakers were from Bang & Olufsen, mounted all the way around the room
on the walls. And a nice B&O sub in the corner on the floor. Is there
something special about their speakers that makes them easier on the
ears?

Perhaps we were dealing with the simplicity of merely moving more air
and using a great deal less actual power and volume. (?) If there were
a really large number of speakers properly aligned (as Peter mentioned)
the system may have actually been idling at a much lower power level.
By the same token, we'll assume that there was also some serious
treatment applied to the room... yes?

With a multi-speaker setup maybe the sound is simply better distributed so avoiding the 'hot spots' that'll end up causing
the ringing ?

Graham

Sean Conolly

"Iain Fraser" wrote in message
i have to agree - you should be VERY concerned about the fact that you

don't
have ringing now. It means that that part of your hearing is now gone.

Go
get a hearing test and see what kind of damage you've done.

I take it you don't have tinitus? I can assure you that the ringing never
stops, and never will even if I go stone cold deaf.

Sean

Bob Cain

Sean Conolly wrote:

I take it you don't have tinitus? I can assure you that the ringing never
stops, and never will even if I go stone cold deaf.

*That* I didn't know. Yikes!

Are these young gangsters with the woofers that shake an
apartement building from a block away killing all of their
hair cells or is the damaged region frequency dependant?

How rapidly can they be expected to lose whatever they're
going to lose with a couple of hours a day spent that way?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

early-onset hearing loss is on the rise. yes they are damaging their
ears. incredibly stupid in my view.

Dale Farmer

Sean Conolly wrote:

"Iain Fraser" wrote in message
i have to agree - you should be VERY concerned about the fact that you

don't
have ringing now. It means that that part of your hearing is now gone.

Go
get a hearing test and see what kind of damage you've done.

I take it you don't have tinitus? I can assure you that the ringing never
stops, and never will even if I go stone cold deaf.

Sean

Tinitis is only one symptom of hearing damage. Temporary after a
loud noise exposure is normal, and a sign that your nerves have been
damaged. They may heal up, if you leave them quiet for a while to
rest. But if you go back to the club the next night, and the next, and
the next, they will eventually die.
A good analogy is a patch of grass. Walking on it leaves a set of
foot prints that spring back after a little while. Walking on the same
path in the grass every day several times a day will eventually leave
a path in the grass where it has been beaten down and will take
extensive treatment before it grows back. Running over it with one
of those giant mudder pickup trucks at high speed just rips the
grass up leaving nothing but a muddy rut.

--Dale

Richard Crowley

"Bob Cain" wrote...
Sean Conolly wrote:

I take it you don't have tinitus? I can assure you that the ringing
never
stops, and never will even if I go stone cold deaf.

*That* I didn't know. Yikes!

Are these young gangsters with the woofers that shake an apartement
building from a block away killing all of their hair cells or is the
damaged region frequency dependant?

How rapidly can they be expected to lose whatever they're going to
lose with a couple of hours a day spent that way?

Poetic justice? Do you think we'll start hearing rap songs
about losing their hearing? Is that what happened to Ludwig
v Bethoven?

Joe Kesselman

Bob Cain wrote:
I take it you don't have tinitus? I can assure you that the ringing never
stops, and never will even if I go stone cold deaf.

Just developed it myself, this past year. At a low level, luckily, so I
can live with it, but... Grump!
Sean Conolly

"Joe Kesselman" wrote in message
Bob Cain wrote:
I take it you don't have tinitus? I can assure you that the ringing

never
stops, and never will even if I go stone cold deaf.

Just developed it myself, this past year. At a low level, luckily, so I
can live with it, but... Grump!

Mine was a shooting accident about 17 years ago. At first all I heard from
one ear was robot voices, but eventually it recovered to just a steady
moderately loud ringing, and thus it has been ever since. It's actually
surprising how well I can hear despite the damage, as long as I can focus
both ears on the job.

Sean

Geoff Wood

"lucky chucky" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey,

I experienced something really unusual the other evening and was
wondering what you pro guys thought about it. I went to the opening of
a new club in Toronto, and spent about 5 hours there. The music was
pumping really loud, about average for a club I'd say. When I got home
that night, my ears were not ringing whatsoever. Usually after a loud
night at a club, as soon as I lay down in bed I can hear the ringing
from the loud music.

You are finally totally deaf at those frequencies.

geoff

early-onset hearing loss is on the rise. yes they are damaging their
ears. incredibly stupid in my view.

Maybe the low end was pumped up but the mids and the highs were
tolerable. Some of the stuff nowadays (like rap) can be very loud but
you can actually have a conversation over it because the mids and highs
are mixed so low...maybe that's part of the appeal to this crap.

Speaking as someone who started listening to very loud music at the age
of 11 (my brother was in a band before me), I still get ringing after
loud music. Too young and dumb to know better back then. There is the
tendency to mix too loud after some hearing loss, and headphones are
like a buffet to a fat man.

I have had tinnitus as long as I can remember. I don't need a hearing
aid yet (well maybe I do...huh????), but in a noisy crowd I become the
village idiot..not able to follow a conversation.

Ear Plugs, such a great invention!!!!