Gerald

Default Need some help in connecting a Linertek 800W 4 Channel to Pioneer 12" DVC

I have a Linertek 800 Watt 4 channel amp and it runs my new Pioneer
12" (800 Watts maximum power handling (350 Watts nominal) Carbon
series) Fine, but i want to get some more kick out of it. I can bridge
the 4 channels to 2 channels giving 400Watts to each channel. So is it
possible to connect both channels to the dvc sub? and is it possible
for the sup to get damaged?

Thanks
Scott Gardner

What's the impedance of each voice coil on the sub? If each coil is 4
ohms, then you should be able to bridge your 4-channel amp into two
channels, and send one channel to each voice coil with no problems.
If each coil in the sub is 2 ohms, that's probably a lower impedance
than the amplifier is capable of driving when bridged into two-channel
mode.

As long as the impedances are okay, there's nothing inherently wrong
with driving each voice coil with its own channel. Make sure you have
the gains for both channels set the same to maximize efficiency.

I'm more concerned about the power handling of the subwoofer. If
bridging your amp into stereo mode will really provide 400 Watts per
channel, that's almost 800 Watts total for both channels, and you're
talking about feeding both channels into a single sub. It will work,
but you'll have to keep the gains turned down low enough so as not to
damage the sub.

Scott Gardner

On 25 May 2004 07:11:32 -0700, (Gerald) wrote:

I have a Linertek 800 Watt 4 channel amp and it runs my new Pioneer
12" (800 Watts maximum power handling (350 Watts nominal) Carbon
series) Fine, but i want to get some more kick out of it. I can bridge
the 4 channels to 2 channels giving 400Watts to each channel. So is it
possible to connect both channels to the dvc sub? and is it possible
for the sup to get damaged?

Thanks

Gerald

Thanks for the info

Here is the specs for the sub
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...etailComponent

If you dont mind looking there to tell me if it is possible to run
both channels onto the sub.

Im am not that clued up with ohms and watts and rms, but i heard that
if a sub is 800 watts u can put 800 watts of power into it to run at
its best. But not 800 watts rms. Is that true?

Thanks again
Gerald Boardman

Scott Gardner wrote in message . ..
[...]

Scott Gardner

It looks like your sub has two 4-ohm voice coils, which is good. Your
amp should be fine when you bridge it into two-channel mode and feed
each channel to one of the voice coils.

I still haven't found any information on your amplifier, so I don't
know if the 400W per channel in bridged mode is peak power or RMS
power. Keep in mind that your subwoofer is only designed for a total
of 400 Watts RMS power, so you may need to turn the gains down on your
sub if it puts out much more than that in bridged mode.

Scott Gardner

On 26 May 2004 04:26:21 -0700, (Gerald) wrote:

[...]

Gerald

When it is bridged it gives out 400 Watts on each channel but its not
RMS. I dont know how much RMS this amp is. It doesnt say anywhere on
it or in the booklet. So i guess its 800 watt peak power.

Gerald Boardman

Scott Gardner wrote in message . ..
It looks like your sub has two 4-ohm voice coils, which is good. Your
amp should be fine when you bridge it into two-channel mode and feed
each channel to one of the voice coils.

I still haven't found any information on your amplifier, so I don't
know if the 400W per channel in bridged mode is peak power or RMS
power. Keep in mind that your subwoofer is only designed for a total
of 400 Watts RMS power, so you may need to turn the gains down on your
sub if it puts out much more than that in bridged mode.

Scott Gardner

Todd

That is always a bad sign if the manufacturer refuses to clearly state the watts RMS an
amp can put out, and what % the distortion is. To me it means their amps probably put out
maybe 1/4 the power at clean levels that they are claiming.

I thought the feds had passed a law decades ago that compelled manufacturers to state
their power clearly in watts RMS and the % of distortion at that level.

What is really useful is to know the watts RMS and % of distortion at every level across
the audible spectrum.
--
Todd

Gerald

Ya i noticed that so i guess i can put all power to my sub then. Coz
my 800 watt amp is prob like 200 - 300 rms ? Am i right?

Well i cant find any info of my amp on the web and i live in South
Africa so i guess that law isnt here. I bought it about a year ago
and at those times i just wanted sumthing to play my 7x10's and a old
Pioneer 12" IMP 350watt.

Gerald