Rob Coberly

Default Tannoy Reveal X?

Think I've got the room problems addressed reasonably w/ wrapped 703.
I'm tracking and mixing largely acoustic instruments, voices.

Been holding out for Dynaudio BM6 or maybe 15 - based on googling this
group - to mate with my Hafler P4000. It's a guess of course, &
auditioning everything I'm interested in is challenging here in New
Mexico.

To save funds for other needs, I've been watching used sources - &
haven't seen any passive Dyns turn up recently. Want to improve what
I'm been using which has problems I can now detect easily.

The passive Reveals are interesting, and likely are good enough to
help me continue learning. I'm also curious about the "Reveal X", ie
dual-woofer passive Reveal. Prices are good, probably because they
didn't catch on in the market. Anyone using these, with observations
to share on their subjective value?

Thanks, Rob
Scott Dorsey

Rob Coberly wrote:
Think I've got the room problems addressed reasonably w/ wrapped 703.
I'm tracking and mixing largely acoustic instruments, voices.

Been holding out for Dynaudio BM6 or maybe 15 - based on googling this
group - to mate with my Hafler P4000. It's a guess of course, &
auditioning everything I'm interested in is challenging here in New
Mexico.

There should be a few places in Albuquerque, which isn't too far a drive
from you. Ask Sheldon at www.quadesl.com if he can recommend some places
with decent speaker systems for sale in the area.

To save funds for other needs, I've been watching used sources - &
haven't seen any passive Dyns turn up recently. Want to improve what
I'm been using which has problems I can now detect easily.

I strongly recommend taking a trip to the AES show in the fall, just
to get a sense of what else is out there.

The passive Reveals are interesting, and likely are good enough to
help me continue learning. I'm also curious about the "Reveal X", ie
dual-woofer passive Reveal. Prices are good, probably because they
didn't catch on in the market. Anyone using these, with observations
to share on their subjective value?

They sound good, although the X still doesn't have much better extension
than the regular Reveal. They're worth listening to, though, but don't
buy _anything_ without listening.

Rob Coberly

Thank you both -
Scott, for the direct and helpful comments as always. I'll contact
Sheldon, he is close by. And I think there is a local NHT dealer who
is likely to have some models that could work for me and can be
auditioned.
Garth, I appreciate hearing from you and the account of direct
experience. I know our ears could differ, but I'm now thinking of the
Reveal X as more of a marketing creature that an effective redesign.
I'll keep holding out and listening.
Rob

Scott Dorsey

Rob Coberly wrote:
Thank you both -
Scott, for the direct and helpful comments as always. I'll contact
Sheldon, he is close by. And I think there is a local NHT dealer who
is likely to have some models that could work for me and can be
auditioned.

The NHT home and studio stuff are sold through different distribution
channels, so a home dealer won't be able to get the A-20. But the home
NHT stuff is also pretty good and certainly worth listening to. I often
use a pair of the old NHT Super Ones as field monitors. Depending on
which stages I am working at the Washington Folk Festival, I may be using
them this weekend, even.