Posted to rec.audio.pro
toronado455

Default Desktop speakers as headphone amp?

I'm sure anything would work. My concern is about the sound quality of
whatever circuitry I'm introducing into the signal path between the
soundcard and the headphones - both of which are high quality. I don't
want to introduce any distortion beyond what is there already. Would
using, for example, a really cheap $15 set of desktop speakers with a
headphone jack introduce distortion to the signal? Or is the distortion
in those cheap speakers coming from the speakers themselves and not the
amplifier circuit connected to the headphones jack?

I'm considering getting one of those powered speaker systems like
Creative Inspire T3000 $50 or more the expensive Logitech Z-2300 $150.
Because they have nice remote (wired) volume controls with headphone
jacks that you can place right next to your keyboard or where ever it's
handy.

Another option would be a small headphone mixer like from Artcessories
or Rolls. Anyone use those? I only need a single headphone out.

Or just getting a smaller, more compact stereo integrated amp than the
one I'm currently using for this purpose which is a full-size home
audio Technics unit which is taking up valuable space on my desk.

Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

toronado455 wrote:
I'm sure anything would work. My concern is about the sound quality of
whatever circuitry I'm introducing into the signal path between the
soundcard and the headphones - both of which are high quality. I don't
want to introduce any distortion beyond what is there already. Would
using, for example, a really cheap $15 set of desktop speakers with a
headphone jack introduce distortion to the signal?

Yes. If you have a high quality sound card and high quality headphones,
get a high quality headphone amplifier. If you can only spend $15, your
money would be better spent on a yard sale or thrift shop stereo
receiver with a headphone jack.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"toronado455" wrote in message
ups.com

I'm sure anything would work. My concern is about the
sound quality of whatever circuitry I'm introducing into
the signal path between the soundcard and the headphones
- both of which are high quality. I don't want to
introduce any distortion beyond what is there already.

Would using, for example, a really cheap $15 set of
desktop speakers with a headphone jack introduce
distortion to the signal?

Most likely.

Or is the distortion in those
cheap speakers coming from the speakers themselves and
not the amplifier circuit connected to the headphones
jack?

It's probably both.

I'm considering getting one of those powered speaker
systems like Creative Inspire T3000 $50 or more the
expensive Logitech Z-2300 $150. Because they have nice
remote (wired) volume controls with headphone jacks that
you can place right next to your keyboard or where ever
it's handy.

Seems like you're buying a lot of speaker to get a headphone
jack.

Another option would be a small headphone mixer like from
Artcessories or Rolls. Anyone use those? I only need a
single headphone out.

Last time I needed a headphone amp for audio production
purposes, I hit up eBay and scored a 4-output Rane headphone
amp for way under $100, if memory serves. Overkill for your
purposes, but it would do the job for you and the price is
in your range.

The ultimate cheapie headphone amp may be the "Boostaroo",
also sold by
Radio Shack. It is battery operated, has about 6 dB of gain,
no volume
control, and 3 individually buffered outputs. About $25.

On the bench, it measures very well (about CD quality), and
in practice it
sounds great if you can live with the limited feature set. I
have a number
of other headphone amps including a Rane, but to boost the
output of a consumer sound card to drive a pair of MDR 7506
headphones, it has been just what I needed.

Since the computer is line-powered I converted my Boostaroo
to AC power with
a couple of 1/2" dowels that simulate the form factor of AA
cells, brass
wood screws for contacts, and a surplus switchmode power
supply from one the
old Comcast cable modems. The Comcast power supply turns out
to have highly
regulated +5 and +12, with the +5 being exactly what I
needed for the
Boostaroo. 5 volt DC wall warts are pretty easy to find for
low prices.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
toronado455

I'm using a component size stereo amp now. I want to get something
smaller but with equivalent sound quality.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones

toronado455 wrote:

I'm using a component size stereo amp now. I want to get something
smaller but with equivalent sound quality.

I'd be surprised if the sound card didn't have enough level
and a low enough source impedance to drive a pair of cans
directly. You may only need a passive pad to control the level.

rd

Posted to rec.audio.pro
toronado455

I've seen the boostaroo. I really want a volume control. And only need
one output. The reason I'm considering the $100 (est) powered speaker
route is that if a stand alone headphone amp is going to cost me that
much anyway, it would be nice to have the speakers as a bonus to
upgrade/replace my current elcheapo speakers. Plus, the design of the
wired remote volume control w/headphone jacks on those are nice and
compact. But I have no idea how my headphones (Sony MDR-V6) would sound
though it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Desdinova

toronado455 wrote:
[...]

If this is a "regular" soundcard, just plug your phones in to the
speaker-out and use the master volume control in windows. I do this
when I bring a machine to a friend's house all the time.

If it's a "pro" card that happens to not be able to drive a pair of
phones (I know my delta wouldn't) I would go with a dedicated headphone
amp, rackmount or otherwise.

Here are some small(ish) amps, first hit on google when searching for
"desktop headphone amplifier"

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/

Good luck,
Des
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"toronado455" wrote in message
oups.com

I've seen the boostaroo. I really want a volume control.

Then go with a legitimate headphone amp from ebay. There
were 3 Ranes under $100 last time I looked (yesterday). If
you are hung up on getting something absolutely new, check
out Behringer.

And only need one output.

You'd be silly to risk sound quality because most headphone
amps have more than one output.

The reason I'm considering the
$100 (est) powered speaker route is that if a stand alone
headphone amp is going to cost me that much anyway, it
would be nice to have the speakers as a bonus to
upgrade/replace my current elcheapo speakers.

Then drop your pretentions of wanting good quality.

Plus, the design of the wired remote volume control
w/headphone
jacks on those are nice and compact. But I have no idea
how my headphones (Sony MDR-V6) would sound though it.

Someplace between poor and passible.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

toronado455 wrote:
I've seen the boostaroo. I really want a volume control. And only need
one output.

One of the things that you'll discover about this industry is that you
rarely can get exactly what you want. You have to either settle for
less or accept more. You don't have all the options. Most dedicated
headphone amplifiers have more than one output just because it's easy
to do and it gains them more customers than it loses.

The reason I'm considering the $100 (est) powered speaker
route is that if a stand alone headphone amp is going to cost me that
much anyway, it would be nice to have the speakers as a bonus to
upgrade/replace my current elcheapo speakers.

$100 powered speakers are still el-cheapo speakers. Have you identified
a set of speakers that have a headphone output that turns off the
speaker when you plug in the headphones? I don't follow those things.
You seem to have one in mind.

I have no idea how my headphones (Sony MDR-V6) would sound
though it.

Sony headphones are fairly easy to drive, but distortion is distortion.

While I can't recommend a new headphone amplifier that I consider worth
listening to for the price you want to pay, I'll bet you can find
something used through eBay or other second-hand sellers that will be
decent, compact, and affordable. You probalby don't want a rack-mount
unit so you can skip the Rane and Furman amplifiers (which are quite
nice) but there are plenty of Rolls, ART, and Samson small headphone
amplifiers going pretty cheap.

Samson stuff isn't all that great, but here's one for $60 Buy-It-Now
with free shipping in the US headphone amplifier that's almost
certainly better than what you'll get with $100 powered speakers with
gimmicks like remote voluime controls. http://tinyurl.com/8veq6

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

In article .com,
toronado455 wrote:
I've seen the boostaroo. I really want a volume control. And only need
one output. The reason I'm considering the $100 (est) powered speaker
route is that if a stand alone headphone amp is going to cost me that
much anyway, it would be nice to have the speakers as a bonus to
upgrade/replace my current elcheapo speakers. Plus, the design of the
wired remote volume control w/headphone jacks on those are nice and
compact. But I have no idea how my headphones (Sony MDR-V6) would sound
though it.

Umm.... you're talking about a pair of cheese-whiz "multimedia" crapboxes
powered by a wall-wart? What would EVER make you think manufacturers would
put quality electronics in such things?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richy

On 12/5/2005 5:10 AM Mike Rivers wrote:
toronado455 wrote:

[...]

You know, I was originally going to ask that very question. But then I
thought what would be the purpose of including a headphone jack if it
*didn't* turn off the speakers automatically when in use? So I thought
it was safe to assume they all did. But now you have me wondering again.
(The two I had in mind were Creative Inspire T3000 $50 and Logitech
Z-2300 $150.)

[...]

That looks nice. So does the AirHead. http://tinyurl.com/d2brw
Though it's more money than the $60 Samson. Wondering how the Rolls and
ART stuff compares.

There is also a third option, which is just getting a smaller, more
"desktop friendly" integrated
amp than the one I'm currently using for this purpose (Technics SU-8011
- sounds okay but takes up space and generates heat). Nice thing about
an integrated is I could use it to drive a set of
studio monitors if, later on, I decide to add those to my setup.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Richy wrote:

That looks nice. So does the AirHead. http://tinyurl.com/d2brw
Though it's more money than the $60 Samson. Wondering how the Rolls and
ART stuff compares.

There really isn't a lot of value to comparing anything but price and
features on these things. They're all about the same, none of them
really suck, but none are as good as using a nice clean power amp. None
of them will sound worse than the receiver you're using now, none will
sound significantly better, but it's likely that any of them will sound
better than the amplifiers that are designed to drive "beside the
computer" speakers.

There is also a third option, which is just getting a smaller, more
"desktop friendly" integrated
amp than the one I'm currently using for this purpose (Technics SU-8011

I'm not sure what that would be. How about putting the amplifier under
your desk, or up on a shelf with the volume control at arm's length.
Surely you can't be that cramped for space. If you are, it must be
mighty uncomfortable working there. g

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richy

Something like this? http://tinyurl.com/8r57u

How about putting the amplifier under
your desk, or up on a shelf with the volume control at arm's length.
Surely you can't be that cramped for space. If you are, it must be
mighty uncomfortable working there. g

I could make a small shelf and put my SU-8011 on it next to my monitor.
It wouldn't be as convenient as having the volume control right next to
my keyboard but it would be cheaper than buying something new. There
isn't any problem (electromagnetically) with having the amp next to the
monitor is there? I held the amp right up to the monitor to check to see
if it caused any screen distortion and wasn't able to cause any.

OT: I've had that amp since new (late 70's). It usually just sits in the
closet and I wouldn't mind getting some use out of it again. But somehow
during my move to a new home this past summer something bad must have
happened to it because the volume control is slightly loose. Just
wondering if there is any practical way to fix that?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Richy wrote:
I could make a small shelf and put my SU-8011 on it next to my monitor.
It wouldn't be as convenient as having the volume control right next to
my keyboard but it would be cheaper than buying something new. There
isn't any problem (electromagnetically) with having the amp next to the
monitor is there?

No. Or how about putting it underneath your computer monitor? Or just
above? That's almost always in easy reach.

I have a small Technics receiver on top of a file cabinet out of arm's
reach and I have no problem getting off my fat butt now and then to
adjust the volume control or switch the input source. Some days, that's
all the exercise I get. g