HWBossHoss

Default ProTools vs. Digital Performer

OK, I know I'm probably opening a can of worms, but you folks have been so
helpful so far, that I'm hoping I can impose upon you once more to help me
reach a decision.

I have decided to go for a software-based DAW and I have just purchased a Power
Mac G4 1.25gHz dual-processor computer.

The big question at this stage is: Which software package should I buy? Here
are the main factors bouncing around in my head at the moment.

1. I keep hearing that ProTools is the "standard" -- but the Digi 002 system
(which is the only version of ProTools I can afford) is limited to 32 tracks,
isn't it?

2. If I get a MOTU 2408 MkIII interface (and therefore use Digital Performer),
I will be able to route all of my outboard gear in any configuration using the
MOTU CueMix DSP software. I really, really, REALLY like this feature--and
although I assume ProTools must be able to do something like this, I haven't
seen it touted quite as much, which leads me to think A) ProTools actually
CAN'T do this, or B) ProTools can do it, but not as well.

3. Digital Performer gives me unlimited tracks (which is a VERY BIG plus)...but
how far out in left field is this software? How many people consider Digital
Perfomer to be an "industry standard"? Can most mastering labs accept projects
done with Digital Performer? Is Digital Perfomer not considered to be a "real
world" DAW like ProTools is? This is important, because I may want to do
projects for other people sometime in the future, and I would want to be able
to give them something done with what are considered respectable, "standard"
tools.

4. ProTools, with the proper add-on software, can open sessions created by
other software DAW's. Can Digital Performer do this?

5. In what other ways is the Digi 002 ProTools LE software limited? Is the
32-track limit the only real difference between ProTools LE and the "pro"
version of ProTools?

Well, those are just a few of the concerns I have. So I would like to hear
from actual users of one or the other (or both). What are the
advantages/disadvantages to either one of these software DAW's?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!