Carlos Alden

Default small room monitor question

Hey all:

I have a small recording setup in my basement. I don't pretend it's a home
studio for recording other people - just myself for projects and ideas and
the occasional track for my band. I have a Mac iBook, MOTU 828 MkII, and
external fw drive. Workdesk is against a short wall, and unfortunately, the
monitors are too. Great little setup. My room is small - 8.5' W x 12.5' L
x 7.5' H.

I've been using an old home stereo system for monitors, but I'd like more
clarity, so I'm looking for something new. I'm thinking of acquiring some
used Event bas v.2 speakers, and am trying them out. The basic sound is
pretty good, but it seems to be that they feel too big in that small space,
and I'm moving around a lot to get the proper imaging. I turned the bass
control down a bit from the zero setting, but I feel like I'm just too close
to them. I'm thinking that I might find it easier listening with smaller
monitors with 6" or 6.5" woofers instead of 8" woofers.

I do mostly acoustic music so don't need the gut-wrenching bass and volume
that some folks do. However, i want it loud enough so that a guitar sounds
like a live guitar, and I want clear midranges.

So here's my question: Am I correct in thinking that monitors with 8"
woofers are just too damn big for my little space, and that I will get
better clarity and accurate imaging from smaller boxes? I'm not asking
whether this or that make of monitors is better, but rather am I going to
encounter problems with any mid field monitor when what I should be looking
at is slightly smaller nearfields.

Thanks in advance,
Carlos