brad ulreich

Default ProTools Question for Expert

Probably showing my copious ignorance of ProTools and multitracking
software in general, but I come from graphic design, and the major
page-layout programs of that genre can open sessions created with
their competitors programs, thus creating a very unique competitive
edge. This is a long-winded way to ask: Can ProTools open sessions
created by other DSPs? At the moment, I can't afford any type of
ProTools rig, and the free versions are unacceptable to my situation,
but if ProTools can import a session from a program that I can afford
or already have, well, then, I can save a lot of time and angst
getting my sessions to mixers and other musicians who use ProTools,
which is just about everyone that I interact with at the moment...
Steven Sena

Doesn't Digidesign still have a free Pro Tools download from there web
sight...?

--
Steven Sena
XS Sound Recording

"brad ulreich" wrote in message
om...
Probably showing my copious ignorance of ProTools and multitracking
software in general, but I come from graphic design, and the major
page-layout programs of that genre can open sessions created with
their competitors programs, thus creating a very unique competitive
edge. This is a long-winded way to ask: Can ProTools open sessions
created by other DSPs? At the moment, I can't afford any type of
ProTools rig, and the free versions are unacceptable to my situation,
but if ProTools can import a session from a program that I can afford
or already have, well, then, I can save a lot of time and angst
getting my sessions to mixers and other musicians who use ProTools,
which is just about everyone that I interact with at the moment...

Monte McGuire

In article UbSwc.11692$HG.11621@attbi_s53,
"Steven Sena" wrote:

Doesn't Digidesign still have a free Pro Tools download from there web
sight...?

Yes, it's on their web _site_, but it's based on 5.0, which is quite
old, so it may not have a lot of relevance to the systems that the OP is
dealing with. It also won't edit like a modern system or have nearly
the track count of a modern rig.

My humble suggestion is to get an MBox and a supported computer. This
allows you at least 32 track interchange and very few hassles. Yes, you
only have 2 inputs and 2 outputs with the MBox interface, but the
sessions themselves could be built for and taken to larger systems with
little hassle.

Best of luck,

Monte McGuire

ScotFraser

Can ProTools open sessions
created by other DSPs?

Yes, sort of. You need to buy the $700 Digitranslator. Then you can open
sessions created in other DAWs that have been saved as OMF files. Sometimes it
works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, you can import the raw audio
files & sync them up manually, provided there are no edits or punch ins in the
session you're importing.

Scott Fraser

Dean

Can ProTools open sessions
created by other DSPs? At the moment, I can't afford any type of
ProTools rig, and the free versions are unacceptable to my situation,
but if ProTools can import a session from a program that I can afford
or already have, well, then, I can save a lot of time and angst
getting my sessions to mixers and other musicians who use ProTools,
which is just about everyone that I interact with at the moment...

I am no pro tools expert so take this with a grain of salt...
I am using pro tools le,digi 002 (i guess not the big dog studio
"Lexus" version but probably similar what you might be working with
too if you decide to use pro tools)

It has very flexible file import and export. I have a ton of stuff on
dual ADAT (16 channels) (48kbs) and I am importing it 8 tracks at a
time via optical cable and then syncing it up again in pro tools edit
screen. I am sure you could do the same with -numerous- other
software formats.I have some old stereo mixes on DAT tape (spdif
44.1kbs) and it flew right into pro tools via optical, I bounced it to
HD disk and opened it right up in Steinberg mastering prg. With the
digi002 you can also use 1/4" inputs for up to 8 channels at a time
which would probably be fine in a pinch, but i am sure you will find
way to digitally transfer.

I know about the angst, I spent months learning ADAT Edit
software(Emagic) on a Compac pentium 3 that would melt down about
every 5 minutes, my first experience with a graphic music program, I
simply wanted to die. But now at ~ 2GHz and a gig of ram...in the
words of that old spiritual song...free at last....
dB

Ryan Mitchley

Cakewalk SONAR, for one, can export OMF files.

Ryan

Ryan Mitchley

Cakewalk SONAR, for one, can export OMF files.

Ryan

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

This is a long-winded way to ask: Can ProTools open sessions
created by other DSPs?

DSPs? Do you mean DAWs? At present, not directly. You can import audio
files into ProTools from just about any other source, but not the
information that tells ProTools how those files are played - where the
edits are, how the crossfades are done, volume changes, applications
of plug-ins, etc.

Most DAWs allow you to create new audio files that represent exactly
what you hear. If you create and import those into ProTools, you'll be
able to pick up where you left off, but you won't be able to go
backward. In other words, if you've edited together several vocal
takes, rendered the final combination, and imported that into
ProTools, you couldn't move the edit boundary or crossfade between two
chunks in ProTools because that boundary would no longer be there - it
would all be one continuous file.

but if ProTools can import a session from a program that I can afford
or already have, well, then, I can save a lot of time and angst
getting my sessions to mixers and other musicians who use ProTools,
which is just about everyone that I interact with at the moment...

If you just want to do basic recordings yourself, then take those into
a ProTools environment, you shouldn't have too much trouble. But if
you want to try to do a lot of tricky stuff yourself, you have to be
able to accept what you've done or else move all the individual
elements into ProTools and try to sort them out. That's a tedious
project. Since you're looking for a program to buy, look for one that
has the capability to export (or record as its native format) time
stamped broadcast wave files. This will at least allow you to import
those files into ProTools in their proper time relationships.

In other words:

Tracking at home, mixing in ProTools - good
Tracking, processing, editing, mixing at home, remixing in ProTools - bad

Understand that other than for very simple projects (and who does
those any more?) the process is still far from automatic. Perhaps some
day there will be an accepted industry standard that will take more of
those features into consideration, but for now, you pretty much just
have to work with raw audio.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Paul Motter

For my first transfer I just mixed tracks down to .wav files and then
imported them to PT and wild-synced them with the grabber tool. I
mixed to stereo so I could do 2 tracks at once and then split them
once I got them into protools.

ScotFraser

In other words, if you've edited together several vocal
takes, rendered the final combination, and imported that into
ProTools, you couldn't move the edit boundary or crossfade between two
chunks in ProTools because that boundary would no longer be there - it
would all be one continuous file.

That's exactly what OMF is intended to address & although the first version
invariably didn't work, OMF 2 (necessary for 24bit files) seems to work much of
the time, although not absolutely reliably.

Scott Fraser

Randall Shawver

On 6 Jun 2004 20:00:43 -0700, (brad ulreich)
wrote:

Probably showing my copious ignorance of ProTools and multitracking
software in general, but I come from graphic design, and the major
page-layout programs of that genre can open sessions created with
their competitors programs, thus creating a very unique competitive
edge. This is a long-winded way to ask: Can ProTools open sessions
created by other DSPs? At the moment, I can't afford any type of
ProTools rig, and the free versions are unacceptable to my situation,
but if ProTools can import a session from a program that I can afford
or already have, well, then, I can save a lot of time and angst
getting my sessions to mixers and other musicians who use ProTools,
which is just about everyone that I interact with at the moment...

I have tried omf and a lot of other options and have found it is best
to just import the audio files into pro tools.
We use Logic Audio, and take the wave files to a bigger studio to mix
on pro tools.
I highlight all the parts on an individual track in the arrange window
in Logic, then do a digital mixdown to make it into one file. I also
record a bit of silence at the beginning of each track that doesnt
start at 0 so that they all align properly once transferred. If they
all start at 0, you will not have to align anything in pro tools.

This takes me an hour on average to bounce and rename the 40-50 tracks
we have in the average song, but it ended up being easier for everyone
involved to do it this way.

Randall

Lars Farm

Steven Sena wrote:

Doesn't Digidesign still have a free Pro Tools download from there web
sight...?

Not for current systems AFAIK.
/L

--