hollywood_steve

Default acoustically transparent cloth?

I have been told that burlap is the best thing to use to cover 703
type board that is being used for bass traps or other exposed
treatment. The board will NOT be built into any wood frame or other
enclosure, it will be hung 4" off the wall by itself - so I'm looking
for a cloth to cover the board without impacting it's acoustical
properties. These are 4" thick 2ft x 4ft boards and I will probably
take them to a local shop to have the material sewn around the board,
kinda like "slipcovers" for living room furniture. But while I'm
still waiting for the board to be delivered, I want to confirm that
there is nothing better than raw burlap for this purpose? Although
the most important purpose of these boards will be to control bass
frequencies, I would prefer that the cloth covering not impact the
acoustical properties of the board at any frequency (if possible). Is
there anything other than burlap that I should be considering?

Thanks.

Steve

Tim Perry

"hollywood_steve" wrote in message
om...
I have been told that burlap is the best thing to use to cover 703
type board that is being used for bass traps or other exposed
treatment.

dont forget to discard the potatos.

William Sommerwerck

If you want acoustical transparency, burlap isn't the best material. You'll get
better results with a synthetic fabric with a loose weave.

William Sommerwerck

If you want acoustical transparency, burlap isn't the best material. You'll get
better results with a synthetic fabric with a loose weave.

Arny Krueger

hollywood_steve wrote:
[...]

It seems to me that you've missed the point of the combination of 703 and
whatever you use to cover it. The purpose is absorbing sound.

The opposites of absorbing sound are reflecting sound or being transparent
to sound. You don't care whether the burlap absorbs the sound or passes the
sound. You only want to be sure that the burlap doesn't reflect the sound.

Therefore, you don't care whether or not the burlap covring the 703 is
absorbtive or acoustically transparent, you only care whether or not it is
reflective. As long as you cover the 703 with something that is no more
reflective than 703, there will be no problem. Either the covering of the
703 will absorb the sound or the 703 will absorb the sound. All you care is
that the sound be absorbed.

Just taking an wild guess based on experience with burlap here, but I think
that burlap is no more reflective than 703.

xy

guilford of maine cloth. not sure if i'm spelling it right. but it's
the industry standard for this and comes in a whole bunch of colors
and styles. I think they have a new Rick James style coming out. It
says "I'm Rick James" in a repeating pattern all over it.

Ethan Winer

Steve,

I'm looking for a cloth to cover the board without impacting it's

acoustical properties.

Arny nailed it. Unlike speaker grill cloth you'll put in front of a tweeter,
there's no need to pay extra (usually a LOT extra) for fancy cloth that's
rated for acoustic transparency. If the cloth absorbs a little on its own,
this is not a problem (to quote Fletcher). You can use literally any soft
cloth, including felt and other closed-weave fabrics that are absorbent but
not reflective.

--Ethan

hollywood_steve

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in message ...
Steve,

I'm looking for a cloth to cover the board without impacting it's

acoustical properties.

Arny nailed it. Unlike speaker grill cloth you'll put in front of a tweeter,
there's no need to pay extra (usually a LOT extra) for fancy cloth that's
rated for acoustic transparency. If the cloth absorbs a little on its own,
this is not a problem (to quote Fletcher). You can use literally any soft
cloth, including felt and other closed-weave fabrics that are absorbent but
not reflective.

--Ethan

OK, I guess I have to be more careful selecting my words. I was
primarily concerned with reflection, I did not even consider the
absorbtive properties of the cloth itself. I just wanted to be sure
that the cloth didn't reflect mid/high frequencies back into the room
(I already have a very live room). A couple of these things are being
placed so that they also break up some parallel wall reflections and I
wanted full bandwidth absorbtion if possible.

Buying textiles isn't something I have a lot of experience with, so
can anyone provide some specific brand/models numbers? (or however you
spec cloth) Something tells me that if I go into Cloth Club Warehouse
and ask for "felt" that I might receive something very different than
what I was looking for.

thanks.

steve

Ethan Winer

Steve,

I did not even consider the absorbtive properties of the cloth itself. I

just wanted to be sure that the cloth didn't reflect mid/high frequencies

If you think about it, that's the same thing - if it doesn't reflect sound
then it must absorb (or let it pass through).

I go into Cloth Club Warehouse and ask for "felt" that I might receive

something very different

No, any felt is fine. Most fabrics are fine. You do need to hand select
them, but it's not complicated. Hold the proposed fabric to your lips and
try to blow through it. If you can blow through it easily, it's fine. Again,
any soft fabric that's not shiny and obviously reflective will do.

--Ethan

Buster Mudd

Jay-AtlDigi wrote in message ...

Guilford of Maine (as somebody already mentioned) is a common choice.
They have a fabric that is kind of like an extra nice burlap that is
called Guilford 704 if memory serves.

701 actually. Guilford FR701, Style 2100 is the fabric that nearly
every commercial vendor of "acoustic treatment panels" uses...to
basically wrap Owens-Corning 703.