Scott Gardner

Default Self-adjusting equalizers?

Does anyone make an equalizer that will automatically adjust its
settings when connected to a real-time analyzer? I was looking at the
AudioControl SA-3055 analyzer, and it has the capability to convert
your car's frequency response curve to an IASCA score. If you could
design an analyzer that would provide feedback to an equalizer, you
could program the final response curve you want, then have the RTA
analyze your current response curve and automatically send control
signals to the EQ to change its settings until your in-car response
matches the curve you specified, or at least as closely as possible
within the limitations of the EQ. Using this method, EQ adjustments
would take a matter of seconds to complete, and would be extremely
nice if you had a particular response curve you wanted to match, such
as the IASCA grading criteria.

Scott Gardner

MZ

Yeah, that would provide a real nice starting point, and wouldn't be
terribly difficult to implement. (not to mention that the manufacturer
would then be touting two pieces of equipment for sale instead of one).

Then again, if you're running everything through a car PC and you're handy
at programming...

--
Mark
remove "remove" and "spam" to reply

"Scott Gardner" wrote in message
[...]

Scott Gardner

Yep, and it seems like AudioControl is only one small step away from
being able to do this if they wish. Since their RTA can "grade" a
response curve compared to the IASCA rules, it must have some kind of
curve-fitting comparison routine built into it already, and their new
digital equalizers already have a flashable EEPROM to store different
EQ curves, so all that's left to add to the equalizer is a way to
change the flash settings via an external connection from the RTA
instead of just manual operator entries. They'd have to program the
RTA with a routine to progressively change the EQ settings until the
proper curve is found, but that's relatively minor.

As to using a PC to do all this, I've written curve-fitting programs
in the past, and the coding wouldn't be that hard. Adding an I/O box
to "press" the buttons on the EQ would be tedious, but not difficult.
The hardest part would be getting the RTA to output its data to the
parallel port constantly, not just when you press the "print" button.
The PC could handle all of the curve-fitting routines and calculate
the necessary adjustments, so you wouldn't have to reprogram the RTA
software except for the constant parallel port output feature.

I imagine there wouldn't be a large end-user market for the RTA, but
AudioControl could market it to shop owners - "Hey, you need an RTA
for your shop anyway, why not buy ours that automatically adjusts our
EQs?" Once the shop has the RTA, it would become very attractive for
them to recommend the compatible equalizers when building a system for
a customer.

Scott Gardner

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:59:06 -0500, "MZ"
wrote:

[...]

Scott Gardner

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 22:08:04 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie

(Scott Gardner) wrote:

[...]

Adjust for a sound source or for the sound system?

Blaupunkt and probably some other brands have self-adjusting EQs. They
play tones and listen for the response on the mic. The HU I have now
will even record multiple entries to represent the proper EQ setting for
different seats in the car. Mic not included, of course.

That actually sounds like what I was describing. That's cool that
they basically put the RTA circuitry in the head unit, so all you have
to provide is the microphone. Does it adjust the curve to some preset
"ideal" response curve, or do you have some say in what the final
result is?

Scott Gardner

MZ

As to using a PC to do all this, I've written curve-fitting programs
in the past, and the coding wouldn't be that hard. Adding an I/O box
to "press" the buttons on the EQ would be tedious, but not difficult.
The hardest part would be getting the RTA to output its data to the
parallel port constantly, not just when you press the "print" button.
The PC could handle all of the curve-fitting routines and calculate
the necessary adjustments, so you wouldn't have to reprogram the RTA
software except for the constant parallel port output feature.

I was thinking more along the lines of a winamp plugin. The RTA interfaace
wouldn't need to be parallel port either, and it wouldn't need to be
continuously upgraded either. Just when the "test"/"adjust" phase was
needed.

Carsyn

Pioneer's 9400 and 9600 head units do this. Sends out test tones,
records level, shows the analyzer. Then you can manually adjust the
bands with included 13 band equalizer.

Carsyn

"MZ" wrote in message ...
I thought some of the newer Bose stock systems did this as well?

--

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message
(Scott Gardner) wrote:

[...]

Kevin McMurtrie

(Scott Gardner) wrote:

[...]

I'd answer if I had the mic. It only takes it a few seconds to figure
out that it's missing then it aborts the configuration.

Tha Ghee

[...]

the old Pioneer 9200 had this feature.