Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Loudness Wars

This is unrelated really, but I remember listening to LP's, and hearing
a foreshadowing of each song during the gap between songs. I realized that
the 'silent' portion of the groove was being slightly altered by the loud
part adjacent to it. You could even watch as the record spun, and the song
started at the same rotation position as the foreshadowing started.

On 01/23/2015 08:36 PM, JackA wrote:
While I hear a lot of "today's" music is purposely made loud, or as
the say, Brick Walled, I feel it started long ago, way back when.
After a divorce in the 80's, I began collecting vinyl records of past
(Pop) music. I'd listen to the "hit" 45 vinyl single. I'd listen to
the fade-out and always wondered why the audio became cleaner, not
always, but enough to remember. I assume, digital audio editors (I
think you may call the DAWs?) brought about current loudness wars,
since you can better control sound in a digital world than analog.

Also, I tend to think of loudness in more than one way. In other
words, many artists added instrument after instrument to create a
greater dense sound. This density I feel is a form of loudness, since
you don't have to have greater amounts of amplitude, just less quiet
spots.

Your input greatly appreciated.

Sorry for all the question!

Best, Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Tobiah wrote:
This is unrelated really, but I remember listening to LP's, and hearing
a foreshadowing of each song during the gap between songs. I realized that
the 'silent' portion of the groove was being slightly altered by the loud
part adjacent to it. You could even watch as the record spun, and the song
started at the same rotation position as the foreshadowing started.

Yes, it is a massive pain in the neck for the cutting engineer.

I once cut a morse code practice record. Very loud tones, with a very quiet
background. It took several test cuts to figure out how tight a pitch we
could get away with. Then we got the test pressing back and found out it
was not even that tight. At first I blamed it on print-through on the
master but I was totally wrong.
--scott

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Tobiah wrote:

This is unrelated really, but I remember listening to LP's, and hearing
a foreshadowing of each song during the gap between songs. I realized that
the 'silent' portion of the groove was being slightly altered by the loud
part adjacent to it. You could even watch as the record spun, and the song
started at the same rotation position as the foreshadowing started.

"Pre-echo" - slight physical distortion of the groove adjacent to the
the very quiet lead-in groove.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 5/02/2015 5:44 a.m., Tobiah wrote:
This is unrelated really, but I remember listening to LP's, and hearing
a foreshadowing of each song during the gap between songs. I realized that
the 'silent' portion of the groove was being slightly altered by the loud
part adjacent to it. You could even watch as the record spun, and the song
started at the same rotation position as the foreshadowing started.

That's a cutting error rather than tape print-through.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 3:03:50 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 5/02/2015 5:44 a.m., Tobiah wrote:
This is unrelated really, but I remember listening to LP's, and hearing
a foreshadowing of each song during the gap between songs. I realized that
the 'silent' portion of the groove was being slightly altered by the loud
part adjacent to it. You could even watch as the record spun, and the song
started at the same rotation position as the foreshadowing started.

That's a cutting error rather than tape print-through.

How do YOU know the difference?

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA wrote:
On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 3:03:50 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 5/02/2015 5:44 a.m., Tobiah wrote:
This is unrelated really, but I remember listening to LP's, and hearing
a foreshadowing of each song during the gap between songs. I realized that
the 'silent' portion of the groove was being slightly altered by the loud
part adjacent to it. You could even watch as the record spun, and the song
started at the same rotation position as the foreshadowing started.

That's a cutting error rather than tape print-through.

How do YOU know the difference?

If it's print-through on the master, it will be synchronized with the
rotation rate of the supply reel, not with the rotation rate of the LP.

Also, if the master is properly wound-tails out, print-through causes mostly
post-echo while groove deformation causes mostly pre-echo.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote: "Also, if the master is properly
wound-tails out, print-through causes mostly
post-echo while groove deformation causes mostly
pre-echo.
--scott "

I don't know - I own plenty of commercial cassette
tapes with pre-echo on them. Some very noticeable,
others barely. How would that be explained?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

short-busser @ gmail.com wrote in message
Scott Dorsey wrote: "Also, if the master is properly
wound-tails out, print-through causes mostly
post-echo while groove deformation causes mostly
pre-echo.
--scott "

I don't know - I own plenty of commercial cassette
tapes with pre-echo on them. Some very noticeable,
others barely. How would that be explained?

The dumb****ery continues!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 4:40:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote: "Also, if the master is properly
wound-tails out, print-through causes mostly
post-echo while groove deformation causes mostly
pre-echo.
--scott "

I don't know - I own plenty of commercial cassette
tapes with pre-echo on them. Some very noticeable,
others barely. How would that be explained?

Only ever heard it on CDs, early songs!!
But, at 1-7/8 IPS you might get half the song echoed!! :-)

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 5/02/2015 9:46 a.m., JackA wrote:
On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 3:03:50 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 5/02/2015 5:44 a.m., Tobiah wrote:
This is unrelated really, but I remember listening to LP's, and hearing
a foreshadowing of each song during the gap between songs. I realized that
the 'silent' portion of the groove was being slightly altered by the loud
part adjacent to it. You could even watch as the record spun, and the song
started at the same rotation position as the foreshadowing started.

That's a cutting error rather than tape print-through.

How do YOU know the difference?

Because it is physically synchronised to the groove position, you claimed.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/4/2015 5:44 PM, Tobiah wrote:
This is unrelated really, but I remember listening to LP's, and hearing
a foreshadowing of each song during the gap between songs. I realized that
the 'silent' portion of the groove was being slightly altered by the loud
part adjacent to it. You could even watch as the record spun, and the song
started at the same rotation position as the foreshadowing started.

Yes, it's known as "groove echo." You actually remove material from the
lacquer master when cutting, so that doesn't have the problem, at least
not as much as a pressing. But when pressing records, the plastic flows
a bit as it's cooling and you get a light impression of the adjacent
groove. Actually it's present all through the record, but it's masked by
the music so you only hear it on the lead-in groove and bands between
songs.

THIS IS NOT A REASON WHY VINYL SOUNDS BETTER THAN A CD. (you really
don't need twice as much music)

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

The Loudness Wars Reconsidered: ChrisCoaster Pro Audio 9 January 17th 12 10:40 PM
Yet another take on the loudness wars jwvm Pro Audio 26 January 7th 08 03:35 PM
loudness wars! jwvm High End Audio 0 June 29th 07 11:48 PM
: Clients and The Loudness Wars Chevdo Pro Audio 16 June 28th 06 01:57 AM
Clients and The Loudness Wars J.C. Scott Pro Audio 137 June 24th 06 04:29 AM