Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default need power cord for teac deck

I've just acquired a TEAC 4010, but it is missing the power cord. It is not
a kind typically used today. This receptacle on the back of the unit for
this one is rectangular, 2 knife-blade non-polarized. Is there a name for
this kind of power cord? I have not found one at the electronic parts
outlet. What should I be looking for?

Maybe I'd would have more success by opening the unit and attaching a power
cord?

--
Joe Salerno

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt Walt is offline

captain capstan wrote:
I've just acquired a TEAC 4010, but it is missing the power cord. It is not
a kind typically used today. This receptacle on the back of the unit for
this one is rectangular, 2 knife-blade non-polarized. Is there a name for
this kind of power cord? I have not found one at the electronic parts
outlet. What should I be looking for?

Maybe I'd would have more success by opening the unit and attaching a power
cord?

Don't know what the name is, but it will mate with a plain two prong
standard edison-type power cord if the female end is small enough. Look
for a really really cheap non-grounded extension cord. We used to use
that at our college radio station back in the day.

Installing your own power cord is also a viable option. If you want to
get fancy, install an IEC connector.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Walt" wrote in message
captain capstan wrote:
I've just acquired a TEAC 4010, but it is missing the power cord. It is
not a kind typically used today. This receptacle on the back of the unit
for this one is rectangular, 2 knife-blade non-polarized. Is there a name
for this kind of power cord? I have not found one at the electronic parts
outlet. What should I be looking for?

Maybe I'd would have more success by opening the unit and attaching a
power cord?

Don't know what the name is, but it will mate with a plain two prong
standard edison-type power cord if the female end is small enough. Look
for a really really cheap non-grounded extension cord. We used to use that
at our college radio station back in the day.

Installing your own power cord is also a viable option. If you want to
get fancy, install an IEC connector.

//Walt

Radio Shack has a pretty extensive collection of power cords, including the
more exotic types. You might have to order from the catalog, but you'd be
surprised at what is in some of their bigger stores.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"GregS" wrote in message

Installing your own power cord is also a viable option. If you want to
get fancy, install an IEC connector.

But grounding may cause problems, but it can be tried.

Why, there is obviously no ground the moment, he does not need to add one
just because there is an extra pin on the socket.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt Walt is offline

Stuart Krivis wrote:
Walt wrote:

captain capstan wrote:

I've just acquired a TEAC 4010, but it is missing the power cord. It is not
a kind typically used today. This receptacle on the back of the unit for
this one is rectangular, 2 knife-blade non-polarized. Is there a name for
this kind of power cord? I have not found one at the electronic parts
outlet. What should I be looking for?

Maybe I'd would have more success by opening the unit and attaching a power
cord?

Don't know what the name is, but it will mate with a plain two prong
standard edison-type power cord if the female end is small enough. Look
for a really really cheap non-grounded extension cord. We used to use
that at our college radio station back in the day.

Or he might check out:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oogle+Se arch

There are a couple of places that list these.

Jeez, $24.99 plus S/H for a six foot extension cord?
Did I stumble into the audiophile group by mistake?

It's just an extension cord, albeit one with a small female end. Go to
the hardware store and pick one up for five bucks or less.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D Mark D is offline

Joe, goto
http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/vabout.html

Click on parts, scroll down, and there you'll see what you need. I
think the price is $14.50
Mark

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D Mark D is offline

True, one can probably find a regular lamp extension cord with the dual
female receptacle to fit into the TEAC Decks, but what you'll usually
find are very wimpy crap cables.

I had bought one from Bob Toepfer some years back for a replacement on a
TEAC A2340R Deck (The site I previously posted) and it was a nice
heavier gauge cord with better quality sheathing worthy of being used on
the Deck.
Mark

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Mark D" wrote in message
True, one can probably find a regular lamp extension cord with the dual
female receptacle to fit into the TEAC Decks, but what you'll usually
find are very wimpy crap cables.

Just how much current do you think it needs anyway?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Mark D" wrote ...
True, one can probably find a regular lamp extension cord with the
dual
female receptacle to fit into the TEAC Decks, but what you'll usually
find are very wimpy crap cables.

LOL! Do you think you need one of those $1000 magic
power cords? You gotta be kidding.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley Jeff Findley is offline

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

Radio Shack has a pretty extensive collection of power cords, including
the more exotic types. You might have to order from the catalog, but
you'd be surprised at what is in some of their bigger stores.

Unfortunately, most of their stores are small and the employees there aren't
usually very helpful when you're trying to special order a part that will
likely only cost a few dollars.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt Walt is offline

"Mark D" wrote ...

True, one can probably find a regular lamp extension cord with the dual
female receptacle to fit into the TEAC Decks, but what you'll usually
find are very wimpy crap cables.

Well, wimpy crap cable would mean one of two things:

1) insufficient current carrying capacity
or
2) poor construction so it falls apart with heavy use

Since the deck probably draws less than an amp, 1) is irrelevant, and
since you are connecting it to a semi-delicate piece of gear anyway it
doesn't need to be rock-proof like a cable you'd use on a stage or
construction site. IOW, who cares if it's wimpy crap cable. You don't
want to use some mangled piece of wire held together with duct tape, but
anything you're going to find in the hardware store should be fine as
long as it fits.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Mark D" wrote in message
True, one can probably find a regular lamp extension cord with the dual
female receptacle to fit into the TEAC Decks, but what you'll usually
find are very wimpy crap cables.

I had bought one from Bob Toepfer some years back for a replacement on a
TEAC A2340R Deck (The site I previously posted) and it was a nice
heavier gauge cord with better quality sheathing worthy of being used on
the Deck.

Most "regular lamp extension cords" I've seen are rated for at least 10
amps, so I really don't understand why you're calling them "wimpy crap
cables". How many amps does a TEAC Deck require? It ought to say somewhere
on the unit.

When I bought a couple of pieces of audio equipment that had some sort of UK
style cord with switches on the back for 110/220. The previous owner had
cut the UK plugs of and used really cheap looking plugs on the end that
didn't look very safe to me. So, I bought a couple of these $0.99 extension
cords, cut the socket end off, and replaced the entire cords on the units by
soldering them in place of the worn UK cords. The extension cords had an
amp/watt rating far higher than the equipment required.

You can even get these extension cords in black, which ought to look just
fine.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article , "Jeff Findley" wrote:

"Mark D" wrote in message
True, one can probably find a regular lamp extension cord with the dual
female receptacle to fit into the TEAC Decks, but what you'll usually
find are very wimpy crap cables.

I had bought one from Bob Toepfer some years back for a replacement on a
TEAC A2340R Deck (The site I previously posted) and it was a nice
heavier gauge cord with better quality sheathing worthy of being used on
the Deck.

Its hard to find single straight sockets. Most have multiple sided sockets.
They should be found in some stores though, but they are
liable to be pink. And, if the Teac's not polarized, it might not fit in.

greg

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D Mark D is offline

Jesus H. Christ, You guys sound like a bunch of crabby old ladies.

The Cord I recommended is a good one, and I feel worth the money. More
like what one would find on a high quality Electric Appliance, rather
than your kid's cheap chinese video game.

Who said anything about a $1,000 Cord? I didn't recommend some
Shunyata, or such "Snake Oil" Power Cord to the original poster.

I have found the person I recommended to the original poster a straight
up, straight shooting man who sells good quality, no bull**** products.

In fact, I liked this cord to the extent I bought another, and both my
TEAC A2340R, and TEAC 3340S have these on board.

I wasn't trying to seek sonic improvment with this particular cord, just
wanted a cord that I didn't see become brittle, crack, or short a few
years down the road. I've had the 3340S for 30 years, god willing I'll
keep it another 30. Mark