Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Percpetion

jonrkc wrote:
Here's a question in return: Why should we care?

Because the answers could lead to greater satisfaction for the
hobbyists.

I can think of another reason in addition to that good one: Because
investigation could lead to general knowledge about human perception,
and that can be useful even outside the audio field. And because the
question is so difficult to investigate scientifically, the challenge
could lead to new understanding of methods of researching difficult
areas of study. And finally because research--pure research--is good
for its own sake, though I realize this view is considered pretty
outdated in today's market-driven world.

Excellent points.

I mean, it comes down to, do you want to understand this stuff better,
or not?

I think it also relates to one's perspective on aesthetics: how
"understandable" are they? I've noticed that intellectual musicians,
artists, and so on, tend to feel that aesthetics are understandable.
The fact that aesthetics includes factors which vary from person to
person, doesn't make aesthtics any less understandble.

Let me note: I mean "understandable" in the sense of human intuition.
And I mean "understandable" in the sense that aesthetics can be
investigated, not the sense that they are already completely
understood. I'm fascinated by attempts to connect human intuition to
objective patterns in the world, like patterns in an audio signal, or
brain structure.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

wrote:
jonrkc wrote:
[...]

So in other words, this is purely an intellectual exercise with no
practical value for audiophiles. That's fine. Sorry I asked.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sherman Kaplan

you all do realize, gentelmen, that trying to find the perfect listening
experience, perfect recording, etc. is like trying to walk to the horizon.
It is an illusion. Our audio setups, no matter how fine we may think they
are, can only create an illusion. I don't think anything needs to be added,
but I'm sure someone will try. Anway, it is an interesting discussion, like
trying to count the number of angels that can fit on the head of a pin.

Sherm

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
wrote:
jonrkc wrote:
[...]

Ironically, you actually made a good pun. Understanding the brain IS an
intellectual exercise in the dual sense that we use are intellect to
understand it, and operation of the intellect is one of the targets of
study. But come now---the brain is part of the real world.

with no
practical value for audiophiles.

Very, very odd statement. Perhaps you mean it has no *interest* for
you?

That's fine. Sorry I asked.

I'm sure you are sorry that you asked, seeing as you meant to prove the
pointlessness of the question, and ended up getting three throughful
and relevant answers.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

wrote:
bob wrote:
wrote:
jonrkc wrote:
[...]

Hardly. The first didn't say anything at all. The second said that it
wasn't an interesting question in and of itself, and only had value for
what it might tell us more generally about the brain. (And believe me,
neuroscientists have much better ways of getting at that.) And yours is
pretty much incomprehensible. That's why I'm sorry I asked--because the
answers had nothing to say about audio. Not that this result should
have been unexpected.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jonrkc

I realize I'm never going to experience the same thing in my listening
room as I experience in the concert hall, though there are plenty of
times that I wish the performers made house calls so that I, one of the
laziest mortals on earth, wouldn't have to make the trip to the hall
and sit among increasingly inconsiderate, noisy, unappreciative
semi-literates (sorry, got carried away...) to attempt to hear music.

My interest at the moment, tangential but pertinent to Mike's original
question at the top of the thread, is in why analog sound indisputably
pleases many listeners, including critical listeners, more than digital
sound. Specifically, why analog media do not produce in those
listeners the sense of unease and fatigue that digital recordings
provoke.

I'm fully aware that many highly trained and sensitive listeners,
including dozens or hundreds that frequent this usenet group, are *not*
disturbed by digital reproduction. But many others are, and have been
since the introduction of easily accessible digital media around 1980.
And I'm not attempting to "put down" digital reproduction on the
grounds of my own dysphoria; I wish I could listen happily to digital
recordings as so many are able to do. Perhaps if I could spend
thousands more on my digital playback apparatus, I might find myself in
a happier position with CD's; but the common wisdom seems to be that
it's *analog* and specifically LP's, that requires megabucks for proper
appreciation. My experience is just the opposite. Why?

As for the pure-research aspect that I referred to earlier, pure
research may or may not amount to an just an intellectual exercise.
More often than not, I believe pure research eventually pays off
handsomely in practical dividends--in this case, surely, better
understanding of psycho-acoustical phenomena must result in better
recording methods and reproduction media, and therefore in greater
pleasure for listeners, at least at the high end of the audio scale.
For those content with low-quality MP3's and the like, any payoff in
increased fidelity would be irrelevant.

Sherman Kaplan wrote:
you all do realize, gentelmen, that trying to find the perfect listening
experience, perfect recording, etc. is like trying to walk to the horizon.
It is an illusion. Our audio setups, no matter how fine we may think they
are, can only create an illusion. I don't think anything needs to be added,
but I'm sure someone will try. Anway, it is an interesting discussion, like
trying to count the number of angels that can fit on the head of a pin.

Sherm

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
wrote:
bob wrote:
wrote:
jonrkc wrote:
[...]

I think you are refering to my post. I will do my best to pose this
question to you without being offensive. How on earth can anyone read
the following part of my post...

"Well, again accuracy is very much a matter of what one chooses as a
reference. I see a fundamnetal problem with choosing an inaudible
signal that has already been profoundly affected by a transducer as a
reference for playback which is acoustic. so if we really want to
mesure accuracy we have to begin and end with an acoustic event and
compare that. It may be harder to do but it involves a meaningful
reference"

And conclude that nothing was said at all? bob, it is very difficult to
take you seriously when you draw such an amazingly eroneous conclusion

..
The second said that it
wasn't an interesting question in and of itself, and only had value for
what it might tell us more generally about the brain. (And believe me,
neuroscientists have much better ways of getting at that.) And yours is
pretty much incomprehensible. That's why I'm sorry I asked--because the
answers had nothing to say about audio.

You are simply wrong.

Not that this result should
have been unexpected.

I think it is your interpretation which has become painfully expected.
anytime the objectiist belief system is challenged that challenge is
dismised rather than delt with.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

On 11 Feb 2006 00:07:51 GMT, "jonrkc"
wrote:

I realize I'm never going to experience the same thing in my listening
room as I experience in the concert hall, though there are plenty of
times that I wish the performers made house calls so that I, one of the
laziest mortals on earth, wouldn't have to make the trip to the hall
and sit among increasingly inconsiderate, noisy, unappreciative
semi-literates (sorry, got carried away...) to attempt to hear music.

My interest at the moment, tangential but pertinent to Mike's original
question at the top of the thread, is in why analog sound indisputably
pleases many listeners, including critical listeners, more than digital
sound. Specifically, why analog media do not produce in those
listeners the sense of unease and fatigue that digital recordings
provoke.

Why aren't you interested in the fact that many other listeners find
digital to be both more pleasing and more accurate?

BTW, there are many reasons why vinyl and valves sound more pleasant -
these are known as euphonic distortions. Doesn't make it high
fidelity, of course...................

I'm fully aware that many highly trained and sensitive listeners,
including dozens or hundreds that frequent this usenet group, are *not*
disturbed by digital reproduction. But many others are, and have been
since the introduction of easily accessible digital media around 1980.

Many people believe in flying saucers, but this doesn't necessarily
have any basis in reality.

And I'm not attempting to "put down" digital reproduction on the
grounds of my own dysphoria; I wish I could listen happily to digital
recordings as so many are able to do. Perhaps if I could spend
thousands more on my digital playback apparatus, I might find myself in
a happier position with CD's; but the common wisdom seems to be that
it's *analog* and specifically LP's, that requires megabucks for proper
appreciation. My experience is just the opposite. Why?

Top-class vinyl reproduction requires extremely precise mechanical
engineering - this is expensive. Top-class CD reproduction requires
sophisticated electronics - this is not expensive.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

jonrkc wrote:
I realize I'm never going to experience the same thing in my listening
room as I experience in the concert hall, though there are plenty of
times that I wish the performers made house calls so that I, one of the
laziest mortals on earth, wouldn't have to make the trip to the hall
and sit among increasingly inconsiderate, noisy, unappreciative
semi-literates (sorry, got carried away...) to attempt to hear music.

If you want live music in your home, you should learn to play an
instrument. It will give you more joy than any recording.

My interest at the moment, tangential but pertinent to Mike's original
question at the top of the thread, is in why analog sound indisputably
pleases many listeners, including critical listeners, more than digital
sound. Specifically, why analog media do not produce in those
listeners the sense of unease and fatigue that digital recordings
provoke.

This isn't the mystery you imagine. ALL differences in reproduction are
the result of distortion, by definition. In this case, either some
distortion in digital sounds bad to people, or some distortion in vinyl
sounds good to people. And since we know we can make a digital copy of
an LP that is audibly identical to that LP, but cannot do the reverse,
it seems clear that distortion in the vinyl medium is the explanation
here. There are several forms of distortion inherent in vinyl
reproduction, and it's probably a combination of things that
vinylphiles like. (That, plus all the non-sonic appeal, like tweaking
and nostalgia and exclusivity.)

The only problem with the above explanation is that it's a real
ego-crusher for vinylphiles who've convinced themselves that their
highly trained ears can tell that vinyl is "more life-like." Alas, the
physical world doesn't really give a hoot about your ego.

I'm fully aware that many highly trained and sensitive listeners,
including dozens or hundreds that frequent this usenet group, are *not*
disturbed by digital reproduction. But many others are, and have been
since the introduction of easily accessible digital media around 1980.
And I'm not attempting to "put down" digital reproduction on the
grounds of my own dysphoria; I wish I could listen happily to digital
recordings as so many are able to do. Perhaps if I could spend
thousands more on my digital playback apparatus, I might find myself in
a happier position with CD's; but the common wisdom seems to be that
it's *analog* and specifically LP's, that requires megabucks for proper
appreciation. My experience is just the opposite. Why?

If it's the euphonic distortions of vinyl that you like, then all the
money on earth won't buy you a satisfying CD player. Invest in a good
equalizer instead, and a digital signal processor, and make your own
distortions.

As for the pure-research aspect that I referred to earlier, pure
research may or may not amount to an just an intellectual exercise.
More often than not, I believe pure research eventually pays off
handsomely in practical dividends

Well, of course.

--in this case, surely, better
understanding of psycho-acoustical phenomena must result in better
recording methods and reproduction media, and therefore in greater
pleasure for listeners, at least at the high end of the audio scale.

IME, most audiophiles are either unaware of or dismissive of the
massive body of psychoacoustics research that already informs good
audio design.

For those content with low-quality MP3's and the like, any payoff in
increased fidelity would be irrelevant.

For those content with exclusive brand names and huge price tags, any
payoff in increased fidelity would be irrelevant.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung

jonrkc wrote:

I realize I'm never going to experience the same thing in my listening
room as I experience in the concert hall, though there are plenty of
times that I wish the performers made house calls so that I, one of the
laziest mortals on earth, wouldn't have to make the trip to the hall
and sit among increasingly inconsiderate, noisy, unappreciative
semi-literates (sorry, got carried away...) to attempt to hear music.

My interest at the moment, tangential but pertinent to Mike's original
question at the top of the thread, is in why analog sound indisputably
pleases many listeners, including critical listeners, more than digital
sound. Specifically, why analog media do not produce in those
listeners the sense of unease and fatigue that digital recordings
provoke.

Before you go too far on this tangent, check out this article:

http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/ba...x_testing2.htm

A well-known Linn vinyl supporter could not tell LP sound from a
digitized version of it, using an early '80's PCM recorder.

That experiment tells me that any "sense of unease and fatigue" is not
due to digital recording technology, which is much more transparent than
vinyl technology. Even in the early '80's.

So you are left with preference for LP based on euphonic distortion,
mastering differences, and non-sonic differences (which are significant).

We just heard from Harry Lavo, an outspoken supporter of LP, said that a
CD dubbed from an SACD using an inexpensive CD recorder sounded
"superb". So even he agrees that the CD technology gives superb
results, and that the differences is in the source material or mastering.

But in any event, here's an answer to your question. The longer
presentation of the CD, meaning you can listen to over an hour of music
without taking a break, can lead to fatigue. The very high dynamic range
could lead to a certain amount of unease.

Now here's the question to you: Why does the majority of critical
listeners prefer digital?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Chung wrote:
jonrkc wrote:

[...]

Sorry but that is a ridiculously simplistic POV that ignores so many
important factors and so many other acounts of issues with CD sound.
maybe you should read the paper published in the AESJ about the pains
that were taken to get the Mercury CDs to sound so good. If you read
that paper there is no way you can come away with the assumption that
commercial CDs are inherently transparent. I also suggest you read the
material available on the Classic records web page to get some inight
into the real world complexities of mastering classic recordings.

So you are left with preference for LP based on euphonic distortion,

If you believe this then why do you keep avoiding Mike's questions
about the existance of the euphonic colorations?

mastering differences, and non-sonic differences (which are significant).

You mean biases right? What have you doen to control your biases whn
comparing LPs and CDs? What have you done to make the most fair
comparisons?

We just heard from Harry Lavo, an outspoken supporter of LP, said that a
CD dubbed from an SACD using an inexpensive CD recorder sounded
"superb". So even he agrees that the CD technology gives superb
results, and that the differences is in the source material or mastering.

Again, i suggest you read the paper cited above published in the AESJ.
we as consumers are dealing with actual commercial CDs not personal
digital dubs.

But in any event, here's an answer to your question. The longer
presentation of the CD, meaning you can listen to over an hour of music
without taking a break, can lead to fatigue. The very high dynamic range
could lead to a certain amount of unease.

So live music must also be fatiguing. So why is it that the same people
who report listener fatigue from certaindigital sources do not report
it from live music?

Now here's the question to you: Why does the majority of critical
listeners prefer digital?

Prove your premise first.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

[...]

Do you really need to ask? Here is a hint, answer the following
question. Why aren't you interested in the fact that many other
listeners find analog to be both more pleasing and more accurate? then
think about how this mirrors your question.

BTW, there are many reasons why vinyl and valves sound more pleasant -
these are known as euphonic distortions.

Why do you continue to refuse to cite these distortions and the
mechanisms by which they work?

Doesn't make it high
fidelity, of course...................

Why not?

I'm fully aware that many highly trained and sensitive listeners,
including dozens or hundreds that frequent this usenet group, are *not*
disturbed by digital reproduction. But many others are, and have been
since the introduction of easily accessible digital media around 1980.

Many people believe in flying saucers, but this doesn't necessarily
have any basis in reality.

But complaints about digital playback often are based in reality. That
makes your point what we call a strawman argument.

And I'm not attempting to "put down" digital reproduction on the
grounds of my own dysphoria; I wish I could listen happily to digital
recordings as so many are able to do. Perhaps if I could spend
thousands more on my digital playback apparatus, I might find myself in
a happier position with CD's; but the common wisdom seems to be that
it's *analog* and specifically LP's, that requires megabucks for proper
appreciation. My experience is just the opposite. Why?

Top-class vinyl reproduction requires extremely precise mechanical
engineering - this is expensive. Top-class CD reproduction requires
sophisticated electronics - this is not expensive.

Production of quality CDs requires great care and skill. ths is
expensive and obviously completely un-neccessary to sell product to the
masses, especially when they have bought into the claims of perfect
sound forever.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
jonrkc wrote:
I realize I'm never going to experience the same thing in my listening
room as I experience in the concert hall, though there are plenty of
times that I wish the performers made house calls so that I, one of the
laziest mortals on earth, wouldn't have to make the trip to the hall
and sit among increasingly inconsiderate, noisy, unappreciative
semi-literates (sorry, got carried away...) to attempt to hear music.

If you want live music in your home, you should learn to play an
instrument. It will give you more joy than any recording.

Odd advice to give a person who is too lazy to get to a live
performance. ;-)

My interest at the moment, tangential but pertinent to Mike's original
question at the top of the thread, is in why analog sound indisputably
pleases many listeners, including critical listeners, more than digital
sound. Specifically, why analog media do not produce in those
listeners the sense of unease and fatigue that digital recordings
provoke.

This isn't the mystery you imagine. ALL differences in reproduction are
the result of distortion, by definition. In this case, either some
distortion in digital sounds bad to people, or some distortion in vinyl
sounds good to people. And since we know we can make a digital copy of
an LP that is audibly identical to that LP, but cannot do the reverse,
it seems clear that distortion in the vinyl medium is the explanation
here.

Like I have said so many times before. I highly recomend you read the
paper published in the AESJ about the making of the Mercury CDs.
Clearly there are many things that can go worng in the making and mas
prouction of a commercial CD. Your anecdote about home brewed digital
copies and their alleged sonic tranparency simply does not take all
important realities of commercial CD production into consideation.

There are several forms of distortion inherent in vinyl
reproduction, and it's probably a combination of things that
vinylphiles like.

So you are just speculating. OK

(That, plus all the non-sonic appeal, like tweaking
and nostalgia and exclusivity.)

More wild speculation. I can tell you that I do not like tweaking and
have no interest in exclusivity and feel no nostolgia towards LP sound.
your argument holds no water in regards to my preferences.

The only problem with the above explanation is that it's a real
ego-crusher for vinylphiles who've convinced themselves that their
highly trained ears can tell that vinyl is "more life-like." Alas, the
physical world doesn't really give a hoot about your ego.

That is complete nonsense.

I'm fully aware that many highly trained and sensitive listeners,
including dozens or hundreds that frequent this usenet group, are *not*
disturbed by digital reproduction. But many others are, and have been
since the introduction of easily accessible digital media around 1980.
And I'm not attempting to "put down" digital reproduction on the
grounds of my own dysphoria; I wish I could listen happily to digital
recordings as so many are able to do. Perhaps if I could spend
thousands more on my digital playback apparatus, I might find myself in
a happier position with CD's; but the common wisdom seems to be that
it's *analog* and specifically LP's, that requires megabucks for proper
appreciation. My experience is just the opposite. Why?

If it's the euphonic distortions of vinyl that you like, then all the
money on earth won't buy you a satisfying CD player.

There in lies the short sightedness of the your perspective. think
about it.

Invest in a good
equalizer instead, and a digital signal processor, and make your own
distortions.

Do you think you can do this successfully? Do you think you can take a
commercial CD and tweak it to sound just like the LP played back on
high end equipment?

As for the pure-research aspect that I referred to earlier, pure
research may or may not amount to an just an intellectual exercise.
More often than not, I believe pure research eventually pays off
handsomely in practical dividends

Well, of course.

--in this case, surely, better
understanding of psycho-acoustical phenomena must result in better
recording methods and reproduction media, and therefore in greater
pleasure for listeners, at least at the high end of the audio scale.

IME, most audiophiles are either unaware of or dismissive of the
massive body of psychoacoustics research that already informs good
audio design.

I agree. Unfortunately i think it is often grossly misrepresnted by
some self proclaimed objectivists. That can be a real turn off. just
like the goss misrepresentations of scientific support for specific
claims commonly made by objectivists.

For those content with low-quality MP3's and the like, any payoff in
increased fidelity would be irrelevant.

For those content with exclusive brand names and huge price tags, any
payoff in increased fidelity would be irrelevant.

That may be true. Biases do have an effect. it does crak m up though
when those who talk about those biases the most seem to ignore their
own biases.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

jonrkc wrote:
I realize I'm never going to experience the same thing in my listening
room as I experience in the concert hall, though there are plenty of
times that I wish the performers made house calls so that I, one of the
laziest mortals on earth, wouldn't have to make the trip to the hall
and sit among increasingly inconsiderate, noisy, unappreciative
semi-literates (sorry, got carried away...) to attempt to hear music.

My interest at the moment, tangential but pertinent to Mike's original
question at the top of the thread, is in why analog sound indisputably
pleases many listeners, including critical listeners, more than digital
sound. Specifically, why analog media do not produce in those
listeners the sense of unease and fatigue that digital recordings
provoke.

I think this is a very good question. To answer it, we need to have
some understanding of how patterns in signals translate into personal
experiences.

You will notice there is a very curious point of view taken on this
newsgroup, which is that we *don't* need to understand that. Here's how
you can arrive at this point of view:

First you look at the various ways that people try to describe their
experiences with audio, and you say that they are essentially
meaningless. (A person who prefers to work with hard data will take
this position by default.) You reduce most such statements to
statements about "preference"---so your comment will be interpreted as
you "prefer" analog. Your language about "unease" for example, doesn't
matter.

Then you declare that "preference" is arbitray and mysterious, so
anybody can prefer anything for any reason. Now any statement about an
audio experience is explainable. You prefer analog because you "prefer
the distortion." Or substitute any reason you like. It seems like you
have made a meaningful statement, but it is actual a tautological
statement.. it emerges from the assumptions.

I disagree with these assumptions.. I think it *is* important to
understand how signals turn into experiences, and I think it *is*
important to pay attention to the language people use in describing
their experiences.

I think it *is* important to make a distinction between "I prefer this"
and "this is more like live". By the way has no implication of
"superior hearing" or any such thing. It corresponds to a very simple
observation that anyone can make at any time. "Do I like this painting
better, or is the painting more like the scene I see out the window?" A
simple and very commonplace use of the senses. It needs investigation,
of course. My opinion is that those people who declare this distinction
"meaningless" are afraid of the complexities and the uncertainties it
will bring.

[...]

Let me address one other statement we often see he that digital is a
flawless, completely transparent medium, because a digital copy of an
LP cannot be distinguished from the LP.

The important question is, how do we compare two audio signals, A and
B? What kind of comparison is meaningful?

For example, do you spend a couple minutes listening to A, then switch
over to B? Or do you switch back and forth between them rapidly? Do you
listen to the same segment repeatedly, or do you keep listening to new
music? Do you take a break between segments?

My opinion is that the protocol of the test will influence your
experience of the music. And my opinion is that you need to be
listening to the music *as music*, in a manner that allows you to enjoy
it as you normally would.

There is a point of view that says whether you are enjoying the sound
doesn't matter; it's just sound, and you are comparing the two sounds.
This poitn of view implies that there is some part of the brain that
processes sound, and another part that enjoys the sound, and that the
part that processes sound can be observed in isolation from the part
that enjoys the sound.

There was a NYT article posted here recently which said that the brain
is not a series of systems with one-way flow of information from senses
up to consciousness.. instead, *ten times* the number of neurons
connect from higher centers to lower centers as the other way. This
means that NO PART of the brain can be observed in isolation of any
other part.

The engineer's habit of reducing systems to parts, simply does not
apply.

If you investigate, you will find that ALL of the tests which
supposedly indicate digital is transparent were conducted by people who
thought that the sound-processing ability of the brain operated in
isolation of higher centers that construct musical experiences, and
designed their protocals accordingly.

So in my opinion, this makes them suspect. You will also find that
Harry Lavo has proposed a simple kind of test that would allow people
to listen to music more as music, a "monadic test," and that his
proposal has been ridiculed. So think about that, when you think about
whether the information you get here is trustworthy.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

wrote:
I think it *is* important to
understand how signals turn into experiences, and I think it *is*
important to pay attention to the language people use in describing
their experiences.

I think it *is* important to make a distinction between "I prefer this"
and "this is more like live".

Language is important, and that's why it's important to understand how
you're misusing it. An audio reproduction system cannot *be* "more like
live." "Lifelikeness" is not an inherent quality of anything. It is a
judgment, made by a human being. The statement, "System X is more
lifelike" is exactly synonymous with the statement, "System X seems
more lifelike to me." (Unless, that is, you define "lifelikeness" in
terms of technical accuracy--but I'm sure you don't mean to do that!)

Is there a distinction between "I prefer this" and "this sounds more
like live to me"? Of course. But both statements are qualitative
judgments, nothing more. If we chose to study the reasons for those
judgments, we would study both in the same way--by correlating those
judgments to objective characteristics of audio systems. The set of
objective differences between System X and System Y is the set of
possible explanations for why you prefer System X. It is also the set
of possible explanations for why System X seems more lifelike to you.

In the case of vinyl and digital, the set of objective differences
(which includes sonic and nonsonic elements) is known and reasonably
finite. The best way to study perceptions of those differences would be
to artificially introduce individually the various forms of distortion
typical of vinyl into a digital signal, and then use blind tests to
compare perceptions of the distorted and undistorted signals.

snip

Let me address one other statement we often see he that digital is a
flawless, completely transparent medium, because a digital copy of an
LP cannot be distinguished from the LP.

The important question is, how do we compare two audio signals, A and
B? What kind of comparison is meaningful?

For example, do you spend a couple minutes listening to A, then switch
over to B? Or do you switch back and forth between them rapidly? Do you
listen to the same segment repeatedly, or do you keep listening to new
music? Do you take a break between segments?

My opinion is that the protocol of the test will influence your
experience of the music. And my opinion is that you need to be
listening to the music *as music*, in a manner that allows you to enjoy
it as you normally would.

As Pat Moynihan used to say, everyone is entitled to his own
opinion--but not his own facts.

[...]

Psychoacoustics experts have long known that such tests as you propose
are ineffective. In fact, variants of such tests have been done in the
past, with predictable results--those short-term tests which you
disparage invariably smoke long-term listening. I'll post separately
about this.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
wrote:
I think it *is* important to
understand how signals turn into experiences, and I think it *is*
important to pay attention to the language people use in describing
their experiences.

I think it *is* important to make a distinction between "I prefer this"
and "this is more like live".

Language is important, and that's why it's important to understand how
you're misusing it. An audio reproduction system cannot *be* "more like
live." "Lifelikeness" is not an inherent quality of anything.

Sure it is! It is by default he quality of live music.

It is a
judgment, made by a human being. The statement, "System X is more
lifelike" is exactly synonymous with the statement, "System X seems
more lifelike to me." (Unless, that is, you define "lifelikeness" in
terms of technical accuracy--but I'm sure you don't mean to do that!)

Oh i think maybe he does. But again technical accuracy has to be
measured agianst a reference. If your reference is an elecrical signal
that has been passed through a transducer then you have no meaningful
reference to judge *sound* OTOH If one were actually record and measure
the original aoustic event and then record, measure and compare the
output of the recording/playback system using the original recording
then one can actually compare Hufi to live music. Oh, but that is
really hard and to the best of my knowledge no one has done this much
less made any corilations betwen distortions present in actual playback
to original events and how they affect our reactions. That would be
really hard work. Just because these things have not been done doesn't
mean that the reality does not exist. lifelikeness is not an invention
of the mind. It is a real world quality of playback.

Is there a distinction between "I prefer this" and "this sounds more
like live to me"? Of course. But both statements are qualitative
judgments, nothing more. If we chose to study the reasons for those
judgments, we would study both in the same way--by correlating those
judgments to objective characteristics of audio systems. The set of
objective differences between System X and System Y is the set of
possible explanations for why you prefer System X. It is also the set
of possible explanations for why System X seems more lifelike to you.

Exactly!!!

In the case of vinyl and digital, the set of objective differences
(which includes sonic and nonsonic elements) is known and reasonably
finite. The best way to study perceptions of those differences would be
to artificially introduce individually the various forms of distortion
typical of vinyl into a digital signal, and then use blind tests to
compare perceptions of the distorted and undistorted signals.

YES!!! great idea.

snip

[...]

Can you cite a published scientific paper that varifies this claim?

In fact, variants of such tests have been done in the
past, with predictable results--those short-term tests which you
disparage invariably smoke long-term listening. I'll post separately
about this.

I look forward to reading this. I think there have been far to many
allusions to psychoacoutic research and far to little citaions and
actual quotes of the research.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
wrote:
I think it *is* important to
understand how signals turn into experiences, and I think it *is*
important to pay attention to the language people use in describing
their experiences.

I think it *is* important to make a distinction between "I prefer this"
and "this is more like live".

Language is important, and that's why it's important to understand how
you're misusing it. An audio reproduction system cannot *be* "more like
live." "Lifelikeness" is not an inherent quality of anything. It is a
judgment, made by a human being.

All you are saying is that people disagree about what is "like live."
That doesn't
mean it can't be studied.

You, Chung, and Stewart like to remind me that people disagree about
what is like
live. So what? I think that we can, and need to, study how objective
features of the
signal correspond to liveliness. Those will be different features for
different people.
So what? do you think we've given up studying the components of blood
because people have different blood types?

"What is like live" is an abstract quality because it can't be
represented by a single
instance. So what? There's a branch of cogntive psychology called
"pattern
recognition" which deals with this phemonema. They don't seem to think
it is meaningless.

The statement, "System X is more
lifelike" is exactly synonymous with the statement, "System X seems
more lifelike to me." (Unless, that is, you define "lifelikeness" in
terms of technical accuracy--but I'm sure you don't mean to do that!)

Is there a distinction between "I prefer this" and "this sounds more
like live to me"? Of course. But both statements are qualitative
judgments, nothing more.

"Nothing more"! Ha! Both statements occur as the result of pattern
recognition, which is, believe it or not, a scientific field of stuy
which interests
a lot of people (but apparently not you).

If we chose to study the reasons for those
judgments, we would study both in the same way--by correlating those
judgments to objective characteristics of audio systems. The set of
objective differences between System X and System Y is the set of
possible explanations for why you prefer System X. It is also the set
of possible explanations for why System X seems more lifelike to you.

In the case of vinyl and digital, the set of objective differences
(which includes sonic and nonsonic elements) is known and reasonably
finite.

Absolutely false. We have a few measurements and models which attempt
to characterize the differences. We need to correlate those with this
sense of liveliness, or if that fails, study models which do correlate.

The best way to study perceptions of those differences would be
to artificially introduce individually the various forms of distortion
typical of vinyl into a digital signal, and then use blind tests to
compare perceptions of the distorted and undistorted signals.

That would be some useful investigation. It would only be relevant, of
course,
if it involved comparisons to live sound (not asking about
"preference").

snip

[...]

Oh, we all know and agree on the facts. How people perform in a
short-term listening test is pretty much a fact. However, there is
virtually no investigation of how that translates into normal listening
experience. When there are no facts, all we have are
opinions. You have plenty of opinions yourself, like the opinion that
"people differ"
somehow implies "liveliness" is a meaningless concept.

[...]

I eagerly sought this post which showed "short-term" listening smokes
"long-term listening," only to discover that you regard "long-term
listening" as a monolithic concept, and that you think harmonic
distortion is representative of differences between components.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo

"Chung" wrote in message
jonrkc wrote:

[...]

Pardon me, but if you are going to quote me, please do not use a misleading
context. I said I used a semi-pro Marantz CD recorder. In fact it was a
pro recorder, but not the most expensive and it was not balanced line in,
which is why I called it semi-pro. It does/did however have an excellent
reputation and is far better than the typical consumer CD recorder,
particularly in its analog output (ever hear of HDAM?).

I also recorded it through my DTI Pro / Proceed DAC, so I was using my
system DAC, not the internal Marantz DAC. So it was an excellent recording
setup, but not one too expensive (via eBay) for the average audiophile.

I was also using the output of a Sony ES series SACD player, so the
reproduced analog output was first rate.

Given all that, I said the result was superb, and it was. But not as good
as the SACD played directly.

But in any event, here's an answer to your question. The longer
presentation of the CD, meaning you can listen to over an hour of music
without taking a break, can lead to fatigue. The very high dynamic range
could lead to a certain amount of unease.

Now here's the question to you: Why does the majority of critical
listeners prefer digital?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jonrkc

Bob wrote: "If you want live music in your home, you should learn to
play an
instrument. It will give you more joy than any recording. " This is a
long thread and it's easy to miss details, but I stated earlier that I
do play classical guitar, and in the past have played piano, and
harpsichord, and yes, the live instruments do give greater pleasure
than any recording, but not because of their sound; because of the
active involvement and control and just the pleasure of having a skill
and using it.

Further he wrote: "If it's the euphonic distortions of vinyl that you
like, then all the
money on earth won't buy you a satisfying CD player. Invest in a good
equalizer instead, and a digital signal processor, and make your own
distortions." I cannot honestly agree that the difference talked about
in this thread is due to distortion-- unless the distortion in question
results somehow in more lifelike reproduction. And that seems, to me,
an odd result.

As for "huge price tags," I think the loss of irreplaceable recordings
due to disintegrating CD's carries a pretty big price tag in itself. I
have not had one single LP become unplayable after fifty years of
collecting them. I don't know how many of my CD's have self-destroyed
by now, because I obviously cannot check on each of them daily or
weekly. But two or three are gone forever and others are showing
ominous signs of degradation.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Chung" wrote in message
jonrkc wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure why you are arguing here. Here's what you said on 2/4/06:

"Such recorders can be picked up cheap on eBay these days since
computerized CD recording has come to the fore. "

*You* said cheap, I said inexpensive. Is this an example of gratuitous
nitpicking, or what?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung

Harry Lavo wrote:
"Chung" wrote in message
jonrkc wrote:

[...]

Well Harry, do you understand what you are saying? You are heaping
praises at the analog output stage of the CD recorder, as if that
explains why it records so well, but (a) you are not using that analog
output stage, and (b)you were talking about using the Marantz as a
*recorder*, not a DAC.

Also, you seem rather, uh, random in your post here. How can the DTI
Pro/Proceed DAC play a role in the dubbing process, or explain why you
have an excellent recording setup? You were using the analog outputs of
the Sony SACD player and feeding those to the Marantz, remember?

I was also using the output of a Sony ES series SACD player, so the
reproduced analog output was first rate.

So as we all knew, that DTI Pro/Proceed DAC played no role in the
recording setup.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
"Chung" wrote in message
jonrkc wrote:

snip

I also recorded it through my DTI Pro / Proceed DAC, so I was using my
system DAC, not the internal Marantz DAC. So it was an excellent
recording
setup, but not one too expensive (via eBay) for the average audiophile.

Now here's the question to you: Why does the majority of critical
listeners prefer digital?

snip

Before I get inundated, I made a mistake here and gave you my CD recording
setup, which is taken from the digital out of the Proceed after passing from
CD player to DTI-Pro to DAC. For SACD, I used analog out on the Sony, into
my preamp, and through the tape outs to the Marantz analog ins. Usually I
listen to the Marantz through its analog output, which is very fine. I can
also switch the digital out into the DTI Pro/Proceed Combo but in the case
of the Marantz, it adds very little.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

On 12 Feb 2006 16:26:54 GMT, wrote:

snip the usual reams of waffle

If you investigate, you will find that ALL of the tests which
supposedly indicate digital is transparent were conducted by people who
thought that the sound-processing ability of the brain operated in
isolation of higher centers that construct musical experiences, and
designed their protocals accordingly.

In *fact*, properly controlled listening tests do no such thing, they
merely deny the listener any non-audio clues as to what is playing.
That quick-switched short snippets have proven by experiment over many
decades to be the *most* sensitive method for detecting small sonic
differences, does not prevent the 'subjectivists' from taking as long
as they want, and using whatever kind of changeover mechanism they
want.

So in my opinion, this makes them suspect. You will also find that
Harry Lavo has proposed a simple kind of test that would allow people
to listen to music more as music, a "monadic test," and that his
proposal has been ridiculed. So think about that, when you think about
whether the information you get here is trustworthy.

Even better, have a look at Harry's actual proposal, and judge for
yourself exactly *why* it has been ridiculed.

Then consider why it is that the entire audio industry agrees that
quick-switched short-snippet tests are the best.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
chung

Harry Lavo wrote:
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

"Chung" wrote in message

jonrkc wrote:

snip

I also recorded it through my DTI Pro / Proceed DAC, so I was using my
system DAC, not the internal Marantz DAC. So it was an excellent
recording
setup, but not one too expensive (via eBay) for the average audiophile.

Now here's the question to you: Why does the majority of critical
listeners prefer digital?

snip

Before I get inundated, I made a mistake here and gave you my CD recording
setup, which is taken from the digital out of the Proceed after passing from
CD player to DTI-Pro to DAC. For SACD, I used analog out on the Sony, into
my preamp, and through the tape outs to the Marantz analog ins. Usually I
listen to the Marantz through its analog output, which is very fine. I can
also switch the digital out into the DTI Pro/Proceed Combo but in the case
of the Marantz, it adds very little.

Well, maybe you are setting yourself up to get inundated again. You are
saying that when you copy from CD to a blank CD, you take the digital
out of the CD player to DTI-Pro to DAC? What exactly are you talking
about? You have these expensive gear and can't afford a CD burner, which
is standard now in just about any PC sold?

Here's how the rest of the world copy from a CD to a blank CD, now that
we are in 2006. Just rip the tracks from the original CD onto your hard
disk, and copy the tracks to a blank CD. No DAC or ADC involved at all.
No need for your Marantz semi-pro recoder, either. Use Exact Audio Copy
if you are concerned about jitter or errors in the ripping process.
(Note: different jitter than that mentioned by high-enders.)

Too bad you can't use that wonderful DAC with your vinyl collection, eh?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo

"Chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

"Chung" wrote in message
jonrkc wrote:

[...]

Well, perhaps you are right. But I was saying (or thought I was) that a
really good CD recorder could now be picked up cheap via eBay. I would
interpret your "inexpensive CD recorder" to be a "$79 Radio Shack Special".
For which I make no claims.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo

"Chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
"Chung" wrote in message
jonrkc wrote:

[...]

Yes, which I discovered after re-reading the post after having sent it, and
corrected in another post. I mixed up my SACD recording with my
conventional CD recording, where I do use the DTI Pro / Proceed.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo

"chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

"Chung" wrote in message

jonrkc wrote:

snip

[...]

I have two PC's with three burners. I use them to copy CD's or DVD's when I
just want a casual copy....they are not in my audio system. I burn CD's IN
my audio system when I want the best quality...from the player to the DTI
Pro in real time which noise shapes them to 20 bits and de-jitters them,
then feeds the signal back out from the Proceed via the sp/dif connection to
the Marantz CD burner (which uses older, slower, but higher quality CD-R
blanks).

Here's how the rest of the world copy from a CD to a blank CD, now that we
are in 2006. Just rip the tracks from the original CD onto your hard disk,
and copy the tracks to a blank CD. No DAC or ADC involved at all. No need
for your Marantz semi-pro recoder, either. Use Exact Audio Copy if you are
concerned about jitter or errors in the ripping process. (Note: different
jitter than that mentioned by high-enders.)

I use either Nero 7 or Roxio, as the mood entails. They burn just fine for
casual use...and i use those disks in the car or with my second system, so
it doesn't matter. For any "masters" for my main system I prefer to use the
better disks, real-time burning, and better electronics. I actually set it
up that way to burn vinyl (and do) but being perhaps old fashioned I prefer
to do my best CD's that way as well. It is, of course, my life.....

Too bad you can't use that wonderful DAC with your vinyl collection, eh?

Don't need to...I get wonderful vinyl sound without it....one of the
advantages of vinyl.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob

jonrkc wrote:
Further he wrote: "If it's the euphonic distortions of vinyl that you
like, then all the
money on earth won't buy you a satisfying CD player. Invest in a good
equalizer instead, and a digital signal processor, and make your own
distortions." I cannot honestly agree that the difference talked about
in this thread is due to distortion-- unless the distortion in question
results somehow in more lifelike reproduction.

It doesn't. It results in the PERCEPTION of more lifelike reproduction.
All the difference in the world.

And that seems, to me,
an odd result.

As for "huge price tags," I think the loss of irreplaceable recordings
due to disintegrating CD's carries a pretty big price tag in itself. I
have not had one single LP become unplayable after fifty years of
collecting them. I don't know how many of my CD's have self-destroyed
by now, because I obviously cannot check on each of them daily or
weekly. But two or three are gone forever and others are showing
ominous signs of degradation.

Odd. I've had exactly the opposite experience. Only one CD of mine has
gone bad in 15 years. (I was a late adopter!) I haven't lost a lot of
vinyl, but certainly more than that. Once all the CDs are ripped to
hard drives (twice, of course), digital will be indestructible, barring
a house fire.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

On 14 Feb 2006 00:21:03 GMT, "jonrkc"
wrote:

Bob wrote: "If it's the euphonic distortions of vinyl that you
like, then all the
money on earth won't buy you a satisfying CD player. Invest in a good
equalizer instead, and a digital signal processor, and make your own
distortions." I cannot honestly agree that the difference talked about
in this thread is due to distortion-- unless the distortion in question
results somehow in more lifelike reproduction. And that seems, to me,
an odd result.

It may be 'odd', but it appears to be the case. You can make a CD of
an LP, which will have all the 'vinyl magic' of the original. This
seems a pretty good indication that what you prefer about vinyl is
*added* artifacts, not anything mysteriously 'lost' in a digital
recording.

As for "huge price tags," I think the loss of irreplaceable recordings
due to disintegrating CD's carries a pretty big price tag in itself. I
have not had one single LP become unplayable after fifty years of
collecting them.

Really? You must be extremely careful with them! I've lost tracks on
at least half a dozen LPs due to assorted accidents over the last
forty years. OTOH, your care doesn't seem to extend to CDs.......

I don't know how many of my CD's have self-destroyed
by now, because I obviously cannot check on each of them daily or
weekly. But two or three are gone forever and others are showing
ominous signs of degradation.

Interesting, since I have at least fifty from 1983, and not one shows
any signs of degradation whatever. AFAIK, there was only *ever* a
problem with a couple of month's production from one factory, way back
in the mid '80s, so I can't imagine what you're doing to your CDs to
have caused this problem.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
chung

Harry Lavo wrote:
"chung" wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

"Chung" wrote in message

jonrkc wrote:

snip

[...]

You know, Harry, this speaks volumes about the mentality of some
subjectivists. I know that you are not alone.

The goal is to make a copy of a CD, or certain tracks on a CD, onto a
blank CD-R.

Normal people use a computer to rip the tracks, and use software, like
EAC, to insure that the data is ripped as accurately as possible. Then
they use mastering software, such as Nero, to insure that the data is
written correctly (verifiably so) to the CD blank. (Nero can write to
slow speed CD blanks, too, and there are many burners that do a great
job of burning at 4X speeds.) They get a bit-accurate copy of the CD tracks.

Some subjectivists go through a DAC conversion, then digital
filtering/signal processing, and then further digital manipulations
and/or ADC to copy a CD or the tracks of a CD. So they add unnecessary
steps, and more importantly signal-to-noise degradations due to the
conversions and digital processing, to get the copies. Moreover, they
have to do this in real time (a 70 minute CD takes at least 70 minutes
to copy using Harry's high-end method), have no permanant copy of the
tracks on storage, and cannot make compilations easily. But they *think*
they get a *better* copy that way, although they do not get a bit
accurate copy. Accuracy to the original CD must not be the most
important thing.

No wonder they prefer LP's to digital audio .

Here's how the rest of the world copy from a CD to a blank CD, now that we
are in 2006. Just rip the tracks from the original CD onto your hard disk,
and copy the tracks to a blank CD. No DAC or ADC involved at all. No need
for your Marantz semi-pro recoder, either. Use Exact Audio Copy if you are
concerned about jitter or errors in the ripping process. (Note: different
jitter than that mentioned by high-enders.)

I use either Nero 7 or Roxio, as the mood entails. They burn just fine for
casual use...and i use those disks in the car or with my second system, so
it doesn't matter. For any "masters" for my main system I prefer to use the
better disks, real-time burning, and better electronics. I actually set it
up that way to burn vinyl (and do) but being perhaps old fashioned I prefer
to do my best CD's that way as well. It is, of course, my life.....

Your preference is sacrosanct, as objectivist love to say...

Too bad you can't use that wonderful DAC with your vinyl collection, eh?

Don't need to...I get wonderful vinyl sound without it....one of the
advantages of vinyl.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

Bob wrote: "If it's the euphonic distortions of vinyl that you
like, then all the
money on earth won't buy you a satisfying CD player. Invest in a good
equalizer instead, and a digital signal processor, and make your own
distortions." I cannot honestly agree that the difference talked about
in this thread is due to distortion-- unless the distortion in question
results somehow in more lifelike reproduction. And that seems, to me,
an odd result.

It may be 'odd', but it appears to be the case. You can make a CD of
an LP, which will have all the 'vinyl magic' of the original.

You keep repeating this as though it were a universal experience, but
it is not mine.

For one thing, vinyl doesn't have "magic." It is a more accurate
reproduction of music than CD, that's all. It's no more magical than
live music.

Secondly, I've made digital copies of LP and they sound dreadful. For
that matter, so do LP's made from digital recordings, for the most
part.
For example, I have the CD and LP from a digital recording (Leonhardt
playing the French Suites) and they sound nearly identical--and both
suffer from a typical digital fault, which is failure of the highs to
integrate
with the body of the sound.

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo

"chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
"chung" wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

"Chung" wrote in message

jonrkc wrote:

snip

[...]

Oh I see, trekking to the basement or bedroom with CD in hand, burning it to
hard disk, burning it again to blank...is not an "extra step". But putting
it in the CD player, pushing the "Auto Mode" button on the CD burner in the
system, and sitting back to listen to the disk while it burns IS an extra
step. I get it. I guess if you take music out of the equation it makes
sense. NOT!

And by the way, I don't want a permament copy on my hard drive, and I don't
want to make compilations. Your values are not my values, Chung..

No wonder they prefer LP's to digital audio .

I prefer LP's to CD's for the same reason I prefer SACD's to LP's; in many
if not most cases they sound better. Revolutionary thought, isn't it?

snip, not relevant

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jonrkc

"...so I can't imagine what you're doing to your CDs to
have caused this problem."

I believe this is called an ad hominem retort.

For general information, here's what I'm doing to my CD's: Handling
them with extreme care, and storing them in the accursed jewel boxes
that their manufacturers put them in.

For further information, I will no longer be taking part in this group.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

Bob wrote: "If it's the euphonic distortions of vinyl that you
like, then all the
money on earth won't buy you a satisfying CD player. Invest in a good
equalizer instead, and a digital signal processor, and make your own
distortions." I cannot honestly agree that the difference talked about
in this thread is due to distortion-- unless the distortion in question
results somehow in more lifelike reproduction. And that seems, to me,
an odd result.

It may be 'odd', but it appears to be the case. You can make a CD of
an LP, which will have all the 'vinyl magic' of the original.

You keep repeating this as though it were a universal experience, but
it is not mine.

It's a widely experienced effect, but of course there will always be
some who claim a difference.

For one thing, vinyl doesn't have "magic." It is a more accurate
reproduction of music than CD, that's all. It's no more magical than
live music.

You keep repeating this as though it were a universal experience, but
it is not mine, nor that of most audiophiles.

Secondly, I've made digital copies of LP and they sound dreadful. For
that matter, so do LP's made from digital recordings, for the most
part.

Clearly, you're doing it wrong....................

For example, I have the CD and LP from a digital recording (Leonhardt
playing the French Suites) and they sound nearly identical--and both
suffer from a typical digital fault, which is failure of the highs to
integrate with the body of the sound.

Utter nonsense, no suchh effect exists in the real world. I defy you
to tell the difference between a well-made CD-R of an LP, and the
original, when you don't *know* which is playing.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Johann Spischak

wrote:
Interesting, since I have at least fifty from 1983, and not one shows
any signs of degradation whatever. AFAIK, there was only *ever* a
problem with a couple of month's production from one factory, way back
in the mid '80s, so I can't imagine what you're doing to your CDs to
have caused this problem.

From the professional side I can inform You, that in that time was the
growing CD industry full of unexperienced firms, who to save costs and
make the quick money, manipulated the UV lacqueer. The result was a
coating, which was solvable with alcohol and or, after several month,
the aluminium coating was oxidated and the CD became unplayable. To buy
a CD with this properties was a question of luck, nothing else.

The price and quality race gone until today, where the thickness of the
lacqueer coating became the 1/10 the original standard only, however the
lacqueer manufacturers are able to deliver much higher quality, wich can
resist todays "wetroom tests", which simulates the aging of up to
150-200 years. This reliability is also there by CD-Rs, where the aging
of the dye layer was separately _and_ together with the safety lacquer
continously developed.

There are also new trends in safety coating, to save the disc against
scratches and room humidity influences. The development of UV lacquer
coatings achieved a niveau by avoiding coagulations, that the homogene
surface will have no negative influence on the signal quality anymore.
Since the polycarbonate substrate has a hardness of HB and the lacqueer
can be 2H-4H, it is a step forward.

Best regards

--
Johann Spischak

SDG, Spischak Digital GmbH
+49-911-965-7319
http://sdg-master.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stewart Pinkerton

On 17 Feb 2006 00:31:07 GMT, "jonrkc"
wrote:

"...so I can't imagine what you're doing to your CDs to
have caused this problem."

I believe this is called an ad hominem retort.

No, it's an expression of surprise. from someone who knows of no
reason why normally stored CDs should suffer failure, aside from that
early batch I mentioned.

For general information, here's what I'm doing to my CD's: Handling
them with extreme care, and storing them in the accursed jewel boxes
that their manufacturers put them in.

In which case, you are suffering failures which no one else has
reported. Maybe you have a bad player.

For further information, I will no longer be taking part in this group.

By all means take your bat and ball home, if you are unable to handle
a resoned debate.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

Bob wrote: "If it's the euphonic distortions of vinyl that you
like, then all the
money on earth won't buy you a satisfying CD player. Invest in a good
equalizer instead, and a digital signal processor, and make your own
distortions." I cannot honestly agree that the difference talked about
in this thread is due to distortion-- unless the distortion in question
results somehow in more lifelike reproduction. And that seems, to me,
an odd result.

It may be 'odd', but it appears to be the case. You can make a CD of
an LP, which will have all the 'vinyl magic' of the original.

You keep repeating this as though it were a universal experience, but
it is not mine.

It's a widely experienced effect, but of course there will always be
some who claim a difference.

Either way it has no bearing on the sound of commercial CDs
vs.commercial LPs.

For one thing, vinyl doesn't have "magic." It is a more accurate
reproduction of music than CD, that's all. It's no more magical than
live music.

You keep repeating this as though it were a universal experience, but
it is not mine, nor that of most audiophiles.

I suggest you just speak for yourself. I found one survey on the
subject and it doesn't jive with your assertion
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/po...lts&pollid=651

Secondly, I've made digital copies of LP and they sound dreadful. For
that matter, so do LP's made from digital recordings, for the most
part.

Clearly, you're doing it wrong....................

How do you know?

For example, I have the CD and LP from a digital recording (Leonhardt
playing the French Suites) and they sound nearly identical--and both
suffer from a typical digital fault, which is failure of the highs to
integrate with the body of the sound.

Utter nonsense, no suchh effect exists in the real world.

Balony. It was a description. You have no way of supporting your claim.

I defy you
to tell the difference between a well-made CD-R of an LP, and the
original, when you don't *know* which is playing.

I defy you to show how this has anything to do with commercial CDs and
LPs.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

"...so I can't imagine what you're doing to your CDs to
have caused this problem."

I believe this is called an ad hominem retort.

No, it's an expression of surprise.

No. Wow is an expression of surprise, Oh my gosh is an expression of
surprise. The list of poossibilities is quite long. Yours was totally
an ad hominem retort. You do know what ad hominem means don't you?

from someone who knows of no
reason why normally stored CDs should suffer failure, aside from that
early batch I mentioned.

Then you are in luck it seems a new poster who also is a pro has
offered some infortmation on the subject. check out the thread and you
will find the post.

For general information, here's what I'm doing to my CD's: Handling
them with extreme care, and storing them in the accursed jewel boxes
that their manufacturers put them in.

In which case, you are suffering failures which no one else has
reported.

Wrong.

Maybe you have a bad player.

Hey, that is a reasonable possibility.

For further information, I will no longer be taking part in this group.

By all means take your bat and ball home, if you are unable to handle
a resoned debate.

Ad Hominem comments are not a part of reasonable debate. But if chasing
someone off this news group through ad hominem comments makes you happy
then you ought to be quite happy.

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
chung

Harry Lavo wrote:
"chung" wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

"chung" wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

"chung" wrote in message

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

"Chung" wrote in message

jonrkc wrote:

snip

[...]

Not so quick, Harry. The extra step(s) I referred to was the additional
DAC/digital-filtering/ADC that you said your CD went through in the
duplicating process.

What pray tell is the extra step in going transport - DTI Pro (noise
shaping, dejittering) - digital input of the Marantz CDR?

I guess if you take music out of the equation it makes sense. NOT!

And the amazing thing is that you believe all those extra steps somehow
gives you a better copy, despite the fact that you are not getting a
bit-accurate copy as most of us could do easily.

Except to improve the perceived noise level in the audible midrange?

Well, Harry, if you believe that sending the data from a CD through a
DTI-Pro where certain noise shaping is applied and then back to the CD
recorder to be recorded always improve the "noise level in the audible
mid-range", then perhaps you should do that to every CD you own. You
know, make a copy of every CD through your patented method. The
Perceived Noise Floor in Audible Midrange gets better! The copy is
better than the original!

If you think about it more, you are still limited to the 16 bits when
you send your data to your CD recorder. Those 20 bit noise shaping does
not do you any good. You still have to follow the 16 bit/sample 44.1KHz
sampling standard when you make that CD copy. You are *NOT* using the
DAC of your vaulted DAC!

OTOH, you seem to believe that when you copy a CD, you should not copy
the exact data as it was recorded in the original. Somehow massaging it
makes a CD "better" than the original...Your 16 bit, 44.1KHz samples
somehow sound so much better than the original .

And by the way, I don't want a permament copy on my hard drive, and I
don't want to make compilations. Your values are not my values, Chung..

Clearly not...

Clearly not...