Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

"Audio_Empire" wrote in message
On Monday, August 5, 2013 4:34:24 PM UTC-7, Arny Krueger wrote:
"Audio_Empire" wrote in message

On Sunday, August 4, 2013 12:40:30 PM UTC-7, Scott wrote:

You can say it but it isn't true. I have many pop/rock albums that
offer stunningly vivid imaging with sound stages that extend well past
the speakers and offer loads of depth as well as width and give the
instruments a tremendous sense of size and palpability. So you CAN
hear that with the right pop/rock recordings.

So you are saying that these recordings were recorded stereophonically?

No, It is possible to position instruments well past the speakers from
multitrack recordings. Add some of the track to the opposite channel
with
the phase inverted, and voila, you've got a track that sounds like it
is
coming from the outside of the space between the speakers.

I wasn't questioning the width, I know that can be artificially introduced
one
of several ways. It was the depth from multitrack that I was questioning.

Depth can also be artifically introduced by several means including adding
delays and spectral shaping.