Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Connecting the AKG 8000S to the PC

I got an AKG 8000S recently and have been wanting to plug it into my
PC. I use the sound card that came with the PC that has a standard
1/8"jack. I got a 1/4" - 1/8" adapter and tried connecting it. The mic
doesn't seem to work. What could be the issue? Does it need a pre-amp
or something?

Thanks
bharat

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

bharat wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Can you give me the specs. of the
adapter I need to connect the XLR cable to the mic input?

Specs:

Female XLR on one end
Male 1/8" (3.5 mm) phone plug on the other end

However you won't find a solid adapter like this, but you may find a
cable with that connector arrangement. That's what you should use. Like
one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/2vmv5

However, I couldn't find an 8000S (or anything with 8000) in a search
of the AKG web site. Have we established that this is a dynamic mic and
doesn't require power from the input? The above cable will work,
assuming that the mic is either Dynamic (requiring no power) or
internally powered (battery), and also that your computer actually has
a mic level audio input. Most do, but some don't.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff@home

Mike Rivers wrote:
bharat wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Can you give me the specs. of the
adapter I need to connect the XLR cable to the mic input?

Specs:

Female XLR on one end
Male 1/8" (3.5 mm) phone plug on the other end

However you won't find a solid adapter like this, but you may find a
cable with that connector arrangement. That's what you should use.
Like one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/2vmv5

However, I couldn't find an 8000S (or anything with 8000) in a search
of the AKG web site. Have we established that this is a dynamic mic
and doesn't require power from the input? The above cable will work,
assuming that the mic is either Dynamic (requiring no power) or
internally powered (battery), and also that your computer actually has
a mic level audio input. Most do, but some don't.

It's 'special' for MusiciansFriend or somebody similar.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

"Geoff@home" wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:
bharat wrote:
[...]

And it's a D8000S, so dynamic.

I'm wondering it'll be bothered by any electret bias that's present on the sound
card mic in.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Pooh Bear" wrote ...
And it's a D8000S, so dynamic.

I'm wondering it'll be bothered by any electret bias
that's present on the sound card mic in.

No dynamic mic would like the ~5V bias voltage from
typical computer sound cards. OTOH, they typically isolate
the bias voltage on the "ring" so if you use a conventional
"mono" (sleeve & tip) plug, you bypass the bias voltage
(except during the instant when you plug it in).

http://www.epanorama.net/links/pc_so...ml#interfacing
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pooh Bear

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote ...
And it's a D8000S, so dynamic.

I'm wondering it'll be bothered by any electret bias
that's present on the sound card mic in.

No dynamic mic would like the ~5V bias voltage from
typical computer sound cards.

It's supplied via about 2k2 IIRC.

OTOH, they typically isolate
the bias voltage on the "ring" so if you use a conventional
"mono" (sleeve & tip) plug, you bypass the bias voltage
(except during the instant when you plug it in).

http://www.epanorama.net/links/pc_so...ml#interfacing

I have this nasty feeling that there are 2 'standards'. One supplies bias via
the ring and another ( Soundblaster ? ) supplies it to the tip.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Richard Crowley wrote:

they typically isolate
the bias voltage on the "ring" so if you use a conventional
"mono" (sleeve & tip) plug, you bypass the bias voltage
(except during the instant when you plug it in).

I've seen mics are powered via the tip. While I don't think you'll
start any fires with 5V through 2K ohms, plugging a TS plug into a TRS
jack with the powering voltage on the ring will short the power
terminal to ground to the tune of about 2.5 mA.

Best to find out what the input configuration really is.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau

Richard Crowley wrote:

they typically isolate
the bias voltage on the "ring" so if you use a conventional
"mono" (sleeve & tip) plug, you bypass the bias voltage
(except during the instant when you plug it in).

I've seen mics are powered via the tip. While I don't think you'll
start any fires with 5V through 2K ohms, plugging a TS plug into a TRS
jack with the powering voltage on the ring will short the power
terminal to ground to the tune of about 2.5 mA.

Best to find out what the input configuration really is.

Or use an better interface :-)