Ban wrote:
wrote:

Snip material that was not addressed.

Technical superiority has no meaning without a reference. So long as
my reference is the sound of live music and Lps continue to to better
job of getting me closer to that sound more often than not I have no
interest in this alleged technical superiority. It isn't technically
superior if it doesn't do a better job of serving it's purpose. But I
will say this, CDs have improved tremendously since they first hit the
market. but IMO that is *not* due to the people who have defended that
medium on the basis of specs but due to the eforts of people who heard
the short-comings from the get go and decided they would do something
about it. The irony is that the folks who prefered vinyl were the ones
most instrumental in the improvements in CDs. If everyone acepted the
false notion that we had perfect sound forever from the begining there
would have been no efforts to make things better. You guys really
should thank vinyl enthusiasts. I doubt it will happen.

Scott, I have been working in recording studios since 1975 and I have seen
the advent of digital studio gear. EMT was making a reverb unit in '74 for
the price of a nice car. All good studios were immediately buying it,
because how could have Pink Floyd, Genesis, Kraftwerk etc. have got this
sound on their records without it?

The bulk of their better recordings were made without any digital
quipment IMO. I'm not sying that is inheent evidence about the qualitiy
of digital equipmnt but it does tend to spoil your point.

Before we were using big steel plates 2m
x 1.25m size, a smaller gold-foil reverb and even torsion springs for this
purpose. There was also some alley in the cellar with a loudspeaker and
mikes.

Actually folks like Led Zeppelin and The Who were finding interesting
acoustic spaces in and around where they were recording for suh
effects. Great stories.

The digital reverb sounded so much better and was incedibly versatile, that
we rarely used the other methods at all any more, and so did every studio.

I will except your pesonal account. I'm not buying the every studio
comment. I don't believe you know that. We've already had some broad
claims of the same nature debunked.

And the same happened with the 24 track 2" tape machines. Beautiful
craftmanship by MCI, every track had also a dbx noise reduction module.
Every week I calibrated the two 24tracks, of which 2 or 3 tracks were not at
spec and unstable, we used these tracks for auxiliary things like handclaps
for the rhythm and fader automation or synch-tracks.
With the digital recording all these imperfections disappeared, you didn't
need the technician any more and in everybody's eyes the recording quality
improved a lot.

Everybody's eyes? Again I suggest you simply speak for yourself on that
one.

So I can guarantee that 100% of the recording studios were using at least
one digitally working piece of gear since 1975.

I can guarentee that isn't true. But it doesn't help your argument. Pop
recordings largely sounded like garbage by then. This hardly helps your
argument.

And we were well aware of the shortcomings of digital,

well that's interesting. I keep hearing there are no shortcomings at
all.

studio ownwers are
known to be utterly conservative. But with the digital you suddenly heard
the A/C, the room imperfections much more clear, all this was usually buried
in the tape noise. With 20dB more dynamic range a lot of details showed up.
Isolation had to be increased for better sound proofing. In fact the whole
studio was renewed, new concepts (LEDE) showed up, a technological
revolution was triggered by digital.
And the same is true for live acts, the sound has so much improved, and
still digital sound processing is a growing art, a challenge to develop
algorithms.

Sorry but the evidence that can be found in commercial recordings
simply do not support your position. Digital recording has anything but
maked a noticble improvement in commercial recordings. Quite the
opposite. The decline is easily heard. Compare the classical recordings
post digital recording the predigital recording. No contest. the
recordings from Decca, Mercury, EMI and RCA kill those digital
recordings by and large. Opinions will vary. The same can be said for
the best pop and best jaz recordings. Yeah we will find the occassional
digital gem. Unfortunately hey are the exception not the rule. So I'm
not saying digital per se is responsible for the decline in recording
uality it clealy can't be cited as a reason for improvement when the
improvement never happened.

Maybe someone comes up with a good phono simulation, and in a
DBT nobody can distinguish between a record player and the simulation. :-))

If it sounds better to me I'll buy it.

Scott Wheeler

Ed Seedhouse wrote:
On 5 Jul 2005 01:59:30 GMT, wrote:

Ed Seedhouse wrote:

1."The reconstruction filter ensures that the output is a smooth curve,
following the original bandwidth-limited input signal *exactly*, not
approximately." Fact is it can never be "exact."

Fact is it can, and must be given the stated conditions.

No it can't. So long as you are dealing with 16 bits the amplitude is
not going to be *exact*

If it meets the requirements of the Nyquist-Shannon theorum it is
*exact*. And Mr. Wheeler can say it isn't over and over as loud as he
likes until he is red in the face, and he can call it a "crazy" idea all
he likes, but that makes precisely no difference at all.

Mr. Wheeler is
not arguing with engineering or physics here, he is arguing with
mathematics.

Yeah right. Please show me the math that supports the crazy idea that
16 bits can *exactly* match every possible amplitude of a an audio
signal. Good luck.

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist...mpling_theorem for an
explanation.

That's nice but it doesn't really address the issue I raised about
exact amplitude does it. Please tell me how 16 bits of information can
possibly *exactly* reproduce every posible amplitude in an audio
signal.

Mr. Wheeler may not understand the explanation, but it has stood
undisputed as a mathematical proof for decades and it's validity is no
more in question than the theorum that the angles of a plain triangle
sum to exactly 180 degrees.

i understand that the explination does not address my point. why didn't
you understand that? Feel free to explain any relationship you may
think there may be between the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem and the
trick to getting the *amplitude* of any audio signal *exactly* right.

Scott Wheeler

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 5 Jul 2005 01:59:30 GMT, wrote:

Ed Seedhouse wrote:
On 4 Jul 2005 18:52:01 GMT,
wrote:

I don't know about the ratios but if you want a list of things Stewart
said that are factually wrong just in this thread.

1."The reconstruction filter ensures that the output is a smooth curve,
following the original bandwidth-limited input signal *exactly*, not
approximately." Fact is it can never be "exact."

Fact is it can, and must be given the stated conditions.

No it can't. So long as you are dealing with 16 bits the amplitude is
not going to be *exact*

No mention was made of bit depth in Jeffc's original claims, he merely
talked about 'digital'.

Thanks for the irrelevant comment.

However, given proper dithering, then a 16-bit system most certainly
*is* exact, within the inevitable mathematical uncertainty given by
the system noise floor.

Now that is funny. It is exact within it's own inexactness IOW. Yeah
that's fine, it also is not what you said is it? It also doesn't refute
my basic claim that it is not *exact.* *I* made no such qualifications
in my claim did I?

This uncertainty applies to *any* linear
system with the same noise floor, whether analogue or digital.

Mr. Wheeler is
not arguing with engineering or physics here, he is arguing with
mathematics.

Yeah right. Please show me the math that supports the crazy idea that
16 bits can *exactly* match evey possible amplitude of a an audio
signal. Good luck.

See above.

Above sems to support my claim. You had to qualify "exact" as not
really exact. Thanks for confirming my claim. Ironic isn't it?

He might as well claim that the square root of two is the
ratio of two integers.

me thinks th math supports me not you.

That's because your thinking is wrong............

No, you had to qualify a very simple well understood word, exact, to
make your point. Maybe *you* should choose your words more carefully.
But thanks for demonstrating that my thinking was actually right. That
leaves your original claim where?

Scott Wheeler

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 4 Jul 2005 22:23:09 GMT, "Helen Schmidt"
wrote:

The objectivist also believes that merely suggesting vinyl or analog
stimulates more lifelike musical percepts is to introduce an
unnecessary mystery. What the objectivist fails to realize is that
there is nothing wrong about introducing a theory which also
introduces a mystery, when the data leads in that direction. And the
data from careful introspection most definitely leads in that
direction. It is simply the arbitrary choice of the objectivist to
reject this data a priori.

No, it is the arbitrary choice of that tiny minority who prefer vinyl
to reject majority opinion, and insist that there *must* be a
mysterious mechanism, despite being told of several obvious and
already known mechanisms likely to underlie their opinion.

Buring the same old straw men again. How is the choice "arbitrary" if
it is the result of well known "mechanisms?" Don't you get tired of
contradicting yourself? What are those alleged "mechanisms" and where
is the research that supports this claim? Don't you get tired of making
the same unsupported claims? And lets talk about this alleged "tiny
minority," don't you ever get tired of using popularity as evidence
only when it suits your biases? doesn't it bother you that this
argument supports the notion that McDonalds makes the best burgers in
the world and Bose makes the best speakers? And lastly, don't you get
tired of having to pick and choose your numbers? I mean if we want to
talk about a real minority let's talk about the number of audiphiles
that have extensive experience with high end vinyl playback and still
prefer CDs. *That* is a tiny minority! Don't you get tired of the fact
that you have to be selective in your reports on these alleged numbers
to support your points? Rest assured, those of us whose preferences you
attack do get tired of all this nonsense from you.

This is
actually nothing to do with 'objective vs subjective', it has to do
with desperate self-justification and defence of a minority position.

Yeah right. If this were true you would not ned to drag out the same
old tiresome nonsensical arguments over and over and over again.

Scott Wheeler
Stewart Pinkerton

On 5 Jul 2005 14:32:12 GMT, "Mike Gilmour"
wrote:

"Per Stromgren" wrote in message
On 3 Jul 2005 20:46:05 GMT, "Mike Gilmour"
wrote:

"Per Stromgren" wrote in message
On 3 Jul 2005 15:17:49 GMT, wrote:

What happens to that signal
between there and the loudspeakers is another matter. If you mean
vinyl, then say vinyl. BTW, as noted elsewhere, since every modern
vinyl cutting facility includes a digital delay line for Varigroove
purposes, *all* new music recordings are digital by definition,
whether purchased on black or silver discs.

Every? Are you sure about this?

Please name one vinyl cutting facility, used above hobby scale, that
doesn't have this!

Per.

To quote Tim de Paravicini:

"I do ensure that the old digital delay lines for Varigroove are not used.
Most of the stuff cut nowadays is constant pitch anyway, so we dispense
with
that sort of thing"

Discuss :-)

That quote seem to be from the Hi-Fi Review interview, January 1990,
i.e 15 years old. I suspect that digital delay lines may have improved
since then, even using Tim d. P:s ears. Constant pitch? What do you
get then, 15 minutes per side?

Half a point. Any more examples?

Per.

Sure...Example 2

http://www.southern.net/southern/ban...8988_mast.html

" using a Studer A80 playback machine with advance heads, thus obviating the
need for a digital delay line in the program path."

But note the rolled off bass and the loud bit summed to mono... :-)

Also, note that it's ten years old and the mastering was specifically
aimed at 'vinyl purists' rather than just music lovers. Note also that
DMM doesn't have the best reuptation in the world for top-quality
sound.

Chung

Chung wrote:
jeffc wrote:
"chung" wrote in message

I would surmise, based on your posts, that Stewart understands a lot more
about good vinyl sound, and that he is a lot less biased, than you.

What exactly do you think I'm biased about?

How about this very first sentence in your first post in this thread:

"Technically, digital is crude compared to vinyl, because vinyl is analog
which is pure." To say that vinyl is "pure" totally ignores the
degradations introduced to the signals, and shows bias towards vinyl
technology.

Excuse me? That's a non-sequitur, and you're just looking for monsters
under the bed. Any rational person could deduce from my post that I meant
CD undergoes a transformation from analog to digital back to analog,
therefore it's not pure analog, whereas lots of good vinyl is. What on
earth could you possibly have thought I meant by "pure"?

And, pray tell, what is "pure" in the vinyl process? Let's examine the
signal chain and the many transformations that take place:

1. Sound waves picked up by microphones. This is a transformation from
mechanical energy to electrical energy. Frequency response errors,
distortion and noise are added.

I suppose this does not happen with CDs? LOL you are grasping at straws
now.

2. Microphone outputs are processed by mixers, equalizers and
compressors. Frequency response errors, distortion and noise are added.

1.See above
2. Tell this to the folks at Sheffield Lab, Reference Recordings,
Waterlily, Performance Recordings. Analog Productions. etc. etc. etc.
Buy yeah, alot of lousy recordings, analog and digital, do go through
all this. How again does the CD avoid this?

3. Output is stored on analog magnetic tape. Analog voltages are
transformed to magnetization of particles on tapes.

Digital information isn't stored on anything?

Frequency response
errors, distortion and noise are added.

Oh really? Whose job is it ti add distortion to the tape?

By the way, magnetic particles
are discrete, and not continuous, as you expect "analog" to be.

So does that make it digital and thus reuire a/d d/a conversions? Or
did you forget that Jeff clarified his claim about purity?

4. Tape is replayed and output to cutter via non-linear amplifiers.

You are grasping again.

Magnetic orientation of particles are transformed into voltages, which
subsequently get transoformed to mechanical energy (heat) to deform the
disc master. Frequency response errors, distortion and noise are added.
Due to limitations of cutters, certain compromises such as bass summing
to mono are made. RIAA equalization is also intentionally applied.

5. Master is used to make LP copies. This is a mechanical step where
tolerances result in frequency response errors, distortion and noise.

6. Cartridge picks up groove modulations in the LP during playback.
Mechanical energy is once again transformed into electrical energy, and
frequency response errors, distortion and noise are added.

7. Preamp amplifies tiny voltages from cartridge, and reverse RIAA
equalization is now applied. From this point on, the signal is amplified
linearly by amplifiers such that there is sufficient power to drive the
transducers: speakers or headphones.

All that and not a single thing that is relative to Jeff's claim.

8. Speakers transform electrcial energy to magnetic energy to move
drivers, and drivers' mechanical motions get transformed into
time-varying air pressure that the ear detects as sound. Frequency
response errors, distortion and noise are added.

Well CD also avoids that as well I suppose. LOL.

So once again, given that there are these multiple transformations from
one type of energy to another, with the unavoidable errors introduced,
how can you call vinyl playback "pure"? What is so magical about keeping
things in the analog domain?

How can you go through all that when Jeff already explained
specifically that he as refering to the fact that analog requires no
*A/D D/A conversion*???

Scott Wheeler

What deserves a "LOL" is Mr. Wheeler's total inability to understand a
straightforward post that explains there is nothing "pure" about
vinyl/analog. No one claims that digital is pure, but we have made the
arguments that digital does a lot less damage to the signal than
vinyl/analog. Arguments that, no doubt, will be ignored, misunderstood,
or simply not understood by Mr. Wheeler.

At this point, I remember that Mr. Wheeler said that if I don't think
something is worth responding, then I should not respond. One of the
very few advices from Mr. Wheeler that we should heed.
Mike Gilmour

wrote:

[...]

Mike

Example 3. A frequently used method (obviating digital delay line use) for
all analogue cuts is to use 4 track tape with two tracks copied in advance
to provide the signal for the cutting lathe. A no brainer really.

Mike

Steven Sullivan

Helen Schmidt wrote:

Apparently I need to explain something basic about music to you. The
qualities of musical details are inseparable from the meaning of the
music. A trumpet player produces a certain tone quality not because he
likes it, but because that tone quality supports the expression
inherent to the music at that moment in time. A conductor doesn't just
notice that the hall ambience sounds "nice"--he sets tempo, balance,
and articulation so that three work together with the ambience to
convey his musical intentions.

etc

Fascinating. Earlier in this very post, you wrote.

"It is this: to show how the objectivist's use
of language and their worldview is merely their choice;
it is merely their *opinion* that [...]"

Please explain how this doesn't apply to all the bosh you've
been trying to pass off as *facts*?

wrote:

[...]

Note that they acknowledge this poblem was unique to DMM and it wold
not have been a problem had they used a laquer. Oh well.

Also, note that it's ten years old and the mastering was specifically
aimed at 'vinyl purists' rather than just music lovers. Note also that
DMM doesn't have the best reuptation in the world for top-quality
sound.

And yet they still thought the vinyl was superior to their own careful
purist CD mastering. Go figure. oh yeah, and they could compare both to
the original master tape. Crazy!

Scott Wheeler
Scott Wheeler
Mike Gilmour

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 5 Jul 2005 14:32:12 GMT, "Mike Gilmour"
wrote:

[clip]
Per.

Sure...Example 2

http://www.southern.net/southern/ban...8988_mast.html

" using a Studer A80 playback machine with advance heads, thus obviating
the
need for a digital delay line in the program path."

But note the rolled off bass and the loud bit summed to mono... :-)

Also, note that it's ten years old and the mastering was specifically
aimed at 'vinyl purists' rather than just music lovers. Note also that
DMM doesn't have the best reuptation in the world for top-quality
sound.

......'vinyl purists' rather than just music lovers' made me smile, thanks.
I'd agree I'm also no fan of DMM but I have a digitally remastered (no
prejudice here) DMM vinyl Deutsche Harmonia Mundi (made in co-production
with NDR) of Chorwerke Der Romantic by the Madchenchor Hannover Choir which
is imo a beautiful recording so I'm at a loss why other DMM's sound the way
they do. Any studio pro's in the house?

Mike

Billy Shears

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

As others have pointed out, you simply don't understand how digital
sampling and playback works. If you are asking why a reconstruction
filter is needed, that is absolute proof of your lack of knowledge. Two
required parts of a digital system are a band limiting filter on the
input to the ADC to eliminate frequency components above 1/2 the
sampling frequency and a band limiting filter on the output of the DAC
(called a reconstruction filter). If you properly implement both
filters the output will be exactly the input.

Not exactly the input. Perhaps exactly the input below 22khz.

Which part of "a band limiting filter on the input to the ADC to
eliminate frequency components above 1/2 the sampling frequency'' did
you fail to understand? CD is only one digital standard.

The "band limiting filter on the input" operates on the input
does it not? The input is thereby altered. It is therefore
impossible to recapture the input exactly.

jeffc wrote:
wrote in message ...
jeffc wrote:
The fact that you don't even acknowledge that converting to the digital
domain and back to analog is a fundamental problem,

It's not a problem at all. We can convert to digital and back and wind
up with something that's audibly indistinguishable from the original.
That would be a fact.

Yes, we *can* fool some of the people some of the time,

It appears we can fool all of the people without too much difficulty;
certainly all the available evidence suggests that. If you can provide
us a counterexample, that would be nice. The normal evidentiary
standards apply.

so it's a fact in
that sense. But it's hardly a strong or compelling statement when worded
that way, is it? Digital is a great medium in many ways, far better than
analog vinyl in many ways. That doesn't change the *fact* that converting
to digital and back to analog is an inherent, fundamental design problem
when pursuing perfect sound reproduction.

Youi're sticking to this amazing absurdity, aren't you?

I've heard plenty of digital
recordings that are crap, precisely and specifically because they are
digital.

How do you know it was because they were digital? How do you know they
were not just poorly mastered (or, rather, simply not mastered to your
particular tastes)? How do you know that the problem is a theoretical
flaw in digital, rather than your preference for the known flaws in
vinyl?

I've also heard some that I can't distinguish from the original.
That doesn't change the fact mentioned above.

Yes it does. It directly refutes it. If it's possible to make a
reproduction that's indistinguishable from the original, then there can
be nothing inherently flawed about digital. QED.

bob

jeffc wrote:
Excuse me? That's a non-sequitur, and you're just looking for monsters
under the bed. Any rational person could deduce from my post that I meant
CD undergoes a transformation from analog to digital back to analog,
therefore it's not pure analog, whereas lots of good vinyl is. What on
earth could you possibly have thought I meant by "pure"?

We have no idea what you meant by "pure." It's quite obviously not what
we mean by pure.

What we mean by a pure reproduction is one that cannot be distinguished
from the original master recording. CD can do this. Vinyl cannot.

bob
Billy Shears

Chung wrote:

Billy Shears wrote:
In article ,
Marc Foster wrote:

"Reconstruction filter", you say? What is that needed for? Did
something
change from the original signal? If you can't follow that analogy, then
you're simply not thinking abstractly enough. No one is saying vinyl
doesn't distort the analog signal. And I have not even said the
ultimate
analog signal coming from the CD player is worse than the signal coming
from
the phono stage. I am saying digital technology has a fundamental
design
flaw, and that is that the signal is distorted on purpose. It's
inherent
in
the technology. Whether the end result is more faithful to the original
signal is beside the point.

As others have pointed out, you simply don't understand how digital
sampling and playback works. If you are asking why a reconstruction
filter is needed, that is absolute proof of your lack of knowledge. Two
required parts of a digital system are a band limiting filter on the
input to the ADC to eliminate frequency components above 1/2 the
sampling frequency and a band limiting filter on the output of the DAC
(called a reconstruction filter). If you properly implement both
filters the output will be exactly the input.

Not exactly the input. Perhaps exactly the input below 22khz.

To be picky about it, Marc did not restrict that comment to CD.

You're right. I would also like to amend my comment: because the
sampling is not exact, the output will almost certainly not match
the filtered input exactly.

jeffc

"Chung" wrote in message

Excuse me? That's a non-sequitur, and you're just looking for monsters
under the bed. Any rational person could deduce from my post that I
meant CD undergoes a transformation from analog to digital back to
analog, therefore it's not pure analog, whereas lots of good vinyl is.
What on earth could you possibly have thought I meant by "pure"?

And, pray tell, what is "pure" in the vinyl process? Let's examine the
signal chain and the many transformations that take place:

1. Sound waves picked up by microphones. This is a transformation from
mechanical energy to electrical energy. Frequency response errors,
distortion and noise are added.

Pure analog.

2. Microphone outputs are processed by mixers, equalizers and
compressors. Frequency response errors, distortion and noise are added.

Pure analog.

3. Output is stored on analog magnetic tape.

Pure analog. I'm gonna cut you off right there. These are all red herrings
and you're just looking for a fight where there isn't one. No one in any
way suggested there aren't distortions in analog recording, which is what
you're arguing. There is no argument except one you're searching for.

jeffc wrote:

3. Output is stored on analog magnetic tape.

Pure analog.

For the moment, disregardng all the other technicaln giberish you're
spouting, you're coompletely wrong here. Analog tape storage is NOT
"pure analog," whatever that buzzword means (we presume by this you
mean "continuous, non-discrete").

Analog tape stroage depends upon the alignment of a discrete and
quite finite number of magnetic domains and is FAR from a continuous,
non-discrete process. And, besides, it's horrifically non-linear,
both in its gross transfer properties and at the fine level as well.

You're position would have more strength if the points you were
attempting to further had some technical validity.

jeffc wrote:
Pure analog. I'm gonna cut you off right there. These are all red herrings
and you're just looking for a fight where there isn't one. No one in any
way suggested there aren't distortions in analog recording, which is what
you're arguing. There is no argument except one you're searching for.

Does this mean your definition of "pure" is, "riddled with
distortions"?

That would explain a lot.

bob
Chung

Billy Shears wrote:
In article ,
Chung wrote:

Billy Shears wrote:
In article ,
Marc Foster wrote:

[...]

Are you referring to the sampling instants not being precise, or the
number of bits not being infinite?

The sampling clock is derived from a crystal, so frequency errors are
negligibly small: in the tens to hundreds ppm range. The finite number
of bits results in a noise floor that is not infinitely low: for redbook
CD's, the noise floor in the audio bandwidth is about -93 dB. The net
result is that all distortion products are much lower than those from
amplifiers and speakers, in a CD replay system that meet 16 bit
linearity specs.

Of course, for the 24 bit systems, the noise floor drops to -120 dB or
so, and for all intents and purposes, any distortion product is at about
that level or less.

The finite number of bits does not mean that some signals cannot be
represented; instead, with the help of dithering which is used in all
digital audio systems, the quantization errors becomes broadband noise,
and the system is linear to much better than 24 bits.

When it's all said and done, digital is orders of magnitude more pure
than vinyl/analog tape, if "pure" means lack of degradations. The output
matches the band-limited input with an extremely high level of accuracy,
and only noise is added, and the noise due to the ADC/DAC is at or
better than the limit of analog electronics today, for 24 bit systems.
jeffc

"Chung" wrote in message
By the way, magnetic particles are discrete, and not continuous, as you
expect "analog" to be.

Actually, you have an interesting point there. But of course,
direct-to-disc have always been considered theoretically ideal, specifically
in the sense that the extra medium is eliminated.

What is so magical about keeping things in the analog domain?

What makes you think digital gives us a perfect recreation of the original
musical event?

Chung

jeffc wrote:

"Chung" wrote in message

[...]

You seem to want to define pure to be vinyl/analog, a definition no one
else shares. What we have been trying to tell you is that there is
nothing inherently pure about vinyl/analog. By all measures, digital
audio provides a level of fidelity that is orders of magnitude better
than vinyl/analog.

Now please provide evidence that vinyl/analog is any purer than digital.
Or are you simply going to stick with your definition of "pure equals
analog/vinyl", because you really don't have any evidence or
counter-argument?
Chung

jeffc wrote:
"Chung" wrote in message
By the way, magnetic particles are discrete, and not continuous, as you
expect "analog" to be.

Actually, you have an interesting point there. But of course,
direct-to-disc have always been considered theoretically ideal, specifically
in the sense that the extra medium is eliminated.

Now you seem to have come up with another one of your definitions:
direct-to-disc = theoretically ideal. Considered by whom?

Of all the processes I listed in that post, only the master tape stage
is skipped. Are you saying that all those frequency errors, noise and
distortion added in the rest of the processes still give you ideal
performance?

What is so magical about keeping things in the analog domain?

What makes you think digital gives us a perfect recreation of the original
musical event?

No, I did not say that, since perfect recreation is probably something
that nothing can achieve. However, if you understand my point at all, it
is that analog/vinyl is far from perfect, and is demonstrably less
perfect than digital. In other words analog/vinyl does not equal pure
(unless you are sticking to the only definition of pure we have ever
heard of).
jeffc

"Chung" wrote in message

When it's all said and done, digital is orders of magnitude more pure than
vinyl/analog tape, if "pure" means lack of degradations.

As everyone knows by now, that's not what it meant. Anyway, digital is a
completely crap system, if "completely crap" means high signal/noise ratio.
And as you know, it's not sufficient to talk simply in terms of
"degradations", as all systems have them and they are apples/oranges
comparison. The odd order distortions of tubes compared to even order
distortion of solid state amps, for example.
Ed Seedhouse

On 5 Jul 2005 23:37:45 GMT, Billy Shears wrote:

Sorry, I think Wheeler is right. The Nyquist theorem assumes
exact sampling, which is impossible with 16, or any finite
number, of bits.

No it doesn't. But even if it did present day equipment can carry out
sampling that is essentially perfect. Much higher resolutions that 16
bits are easily possible. But 16 bits is good enough, and *much* better
than the vinyl record.

Ed Seedhouse,
Victoria, B.C.

nowater

wrote in message
Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 4 Jul 2005 18:52:45 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

The fact that you don't even acknowledge that converting to the digital
domain and back to analog is a fundamental problem, and doesn't occur

in
most of the best vinyl recordings,

You have absolutely *zero* evidence for that ridiculous claim.

Have you not learned your lesson yet Stew? Do you need a list of all
the records with superb sound that did not go through a A/D D/A
conversion? hee is a bief and limited overview. The entire catalogue of
the great Mercury, Decca, EMI, and RCA classical recordings from their
golden eras, the entire LP catalogs from Sheffield, Reference
recordings, Performance Recordings, Wilson audio, Waterlily, the entire
catalogs of Blu Note and Riverside jazz from their golden eras, the LP
reissues from APO, Classic, Cisco, Spakers corner, Testiment, Chesky,
MFSL, Audio Fidelity, S&P, DCC, etc. etc. There's your proof. Do with
it as yo please. Didn't you say you own many of these LPs? How could
you claim there is no evidence if you made such a claim?

Stewart was only ever referring to modern vinyl production. He made
that clear in his original statement. It would be mischevious to claim he
was referring to old vinyl production predating the rise of digital audio.

jeffc wrote:
What makes you think digital gives us a perfect recreation of the original
musical event?

Nothing gives us a perfect recreation of an original event. Nothing
really even comes close.

But of all the things that can happen to a recording between that event
and its reproduction in your home, ADC/DAC conversion is about the
closest to transparent.

bob
Steven Sullivan

jeffc wrote:
"Chung" wrote in message
By the way, magnetic particles are discrete, and not continuous, as you
expect "analog" to be.

Actually, you have an interesting point there. But of course,
direct-to-disc have always been considered theoretically ideal, specifically
in the sense that the extra medium is eliminated.

What is so magical about keeping things in the analog domain?

What makes you think digital gives us a perfect recreation of the original
musical event?

What makes you think direct to disc is 'theoretically ideal'?

Really, you haven't defined what the 'ideal' is; instead you seem to
prefer to play semantic games with words like 'pure' and 'perfect'.

The real question is which medium can recreate the original event *more
accurately*. Not which one gives a 'perfect' recreation of the event.

--

-S
"You know what love really is? It's like you've swallowed a great big
Per Stromgren

On 5 Jul 2005 23:34:35 GMT, "Mike Gilmour"
wrote:

Example 3. A frequently used method (obviating digital delay line use) for
all analogue cuts is to use 4 track tape with two tracks copied in advance
to provide the signal for the cutting lathe. A no brainer really.

Is anyone using this method? Wasting half the tape (and thus at least
3db of S/N ratio) in order not to use a digital delay line, that
noeone can hear when it is switched in-circuit?

Are you sure, Mike?

If that's the case, these people must be really, really, afraid of a
D/A converter. Or perhaps the buyer are, and they just listen to their
customer's angst.

Per.

jeffc

wrote in message
jeffc wrote:

3. Output is stored on analog magnetic tape.

Pure analog.

For the moment, disregardng all the other technicaln giberish you're
spouting

What "technical giberish [sic]" would that be?

Analog tape stroage depends upon the alignment of a discrete and
quite finite number of magnetic domains and is FAR from a continuous,
non-discrete process.

I stopped reading his post the first time at that point, because it was a
complete red herring vis-a-vis my point. When I reread it I posted another
message saying he had an interesting point here, if you'll read my other
post.
jeffc

"Chung" wrote in message

You seem to want to define pure to be vinyl/analog, a definition no one
else shares. What we have been trying to tell you is that there is nothing
inherently pure about vinyl/analog.

It's not my "definition", it's simply a connotation of the word, which is
fact. An analog recording is analog, and a digital recording is not. It's
as simple as that really. A digital recording goes analog-digital-analog.
Does that look pure to you? This is quite simple. There are no high
fallutin' physics involved. It's not even disputable or debatable. It's
not even controversial. It's just that someone wanted to pick a fight. It
has nothing to do with fidelity or distortions.
Stewart Pinkerton

On 5 Jul 2005 16:28:52 GMT, wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 4 Jul 2005 18:52:45 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

The only bias I can see comes from the 'subjectivists', who make
claims for vinyl that simply have *no* evidential support whatever.
There is also widespread ignorance of how digital actually works, and
you appear to be one of the main culprits in this regard.

The fact that you don't even acknowledge that converting to the digital
domain and back to analog is a fundamental problem,

It's not. Shame that you still fail to understand this, despite
comprehensive explanations.

and doesn't occur in
most of the best vinyl recordings,

You have absolutely *zero* evidence for that ridiculous claim.

Have you not learned your lesson yet Stew?

Lots of them - you however seem particularly difficult to educate.

Do you need a list of all
the records with superb sound that did not go through a A/D D/A
conversion? hee is a bief and limited overview. The entire catalogue of
the great Mercury, Decca, EMI, and RCA classical recordings from their
golden eras, the entire LP catalogs from Sheffield, Reference
recordings, Performance Recordings, Wilson audio, Waterlily, the entire
catalogs of Blu Note and Riverside jazz from their golden eras, the LP
reissues from APO, Classic, Cisco, Spakers corner, Testiment, Chesky,
MFSL, Audio Fidelity, S&P, DCC, etc. etc. There's your proof. Do with
it as yo please. Didn't you say you own many of these LPs? How could
you claim there is no evidence if you made such a claim?

As noted ad nauseam, I'm talking about *current* vinyl production, not
the contents of anyone's attic. BTW, I suspect that the later part of
your list above includes much vinyl which certainly did go through a
digital delay line, as used by Stan Ricker and all the main cutting
facilities that remain in the 21st century.

Note also that I'm not suggesting that this is any kind of problem, as
such digital facilities are of course sonically transparent, as you'd
expect.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 5 Jul 2005 16:32:52 GMT, "Helen Schmidt"
wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 3 Jul 2005 15:48:31 GMT, "Helen Schmidt"
wrote:

Personally, the reason it matters to me is the effect on new people
entering the hi-fi field, and kids growing up and starting to learn
about audio. They hear the adults and the more experienced people
assert things about the world, and they are influenced by that. A kid
might hear an explanation of why format XYZ is superior to format ABC,
and he might internalize this assertion, and (and this is key) he
might take this explanation to be a truth about his *subjective*
experience. People are prone to taking objective statements and
thinking they define in some way subjective truth.

If I drop an anvil on your head from twenty feet up, it *will* do you
severe damage, and will probably kill you. This doesn't require much
in the way of philosophical argument or 'subjective internalisation'.

This is so irrelevant it's obvious you don't have a clue about the way
people take objective statements as some kind of statement about
subjective truth. As I've said, my purpose here is not to change
anyone's mind about digital. It is not to provide technical
justification for analog. It is this: to show how the objectivist's use
of language and their worldview is merely their choice; it is merely
their *opinion* that their worldview will lead to better audio; it is
merely their *opinion* that "audio is engineering" and most definitely
not a fact of nature; and that they are doing harm by throwing this
opinion around as though it were a fact.

What 'harm' is this doing? Particularly in comparison with the serious
damage done by ignorant 'subjectivists' who claim that the process of
A/D-D/A conversion is fundamentally flawed and inherently inaccurate?
When objectivists make factual claims about technical matters, they
tend to be *accurate* claims, readily testable by independent
observers. Such is seldom the case for the subjectivists.

Later, Jenn wrote:

OF COURSE they are above the thresholds of human hearing, or I wouldn't
be able to hear them. I'm also fairly pretty confident that you
wouldn't be able to hear what I hear.

Stewart replied:

Now, exactly what gives you reason to think that?

Stewart is so focused on the low level details he has a hard time even
acknowledging the existence of the higher level. It's *obvious* that a
highly trained conductor like Jenn can hear things Stewart
can't.

Is it? In terms of fidelity to an original live performance? Why?

Apparently I need to explain something basic about music to you.

No, you *need* to stop waffling and present some rational backup for
your claims. You also need to study William of Occam.

The
qualities of musical details are inseparable from the meaning of the
music. A trumpet player produces a certain tone quality not because he
likes it, but because that tone quality supports the expression
inherent to the music at that moment in time. A conductor doesn't just
notice that the hall ambience sounds "nice"--he sets tempo, balance,
and articulation so that three work together with the ambience to
convey his musical intentions.

Change any of these details, and you change the meaning of the
music. A recording engineer can hear how a certain choice of
microphone changes the qualities of details--but Jenn can observe with
much greater precision whether those changes support or hinder her
expressive intentions.

None of the above waffle has *anything* to do with her relative
ability to judge the 'realism' of a reproduced piece of music.

It is the purpose of a conductor to maximise the musical value of a
live performance. It is the purpose of a recording engineer (given
that we're talking about a 'live' recording) to capture the musical
integrity of a live performance and deliver that to the mixdown master
tape. Which person would you consider to be more aware of the
fundamentals of the *reproduction* of music?

You are thinking like an engineer--which is fine if you are doing
engineering, but you need to understand where your habits of thought
lead you astray.

You need to explain and justify this claim *much* more convincingly
than have so far done.

You want to divide the task and apply
specialization, which is normal for an engineer.

It's also how things get done in the real world, as opposed to your
abstract imaginings.

*Hearing* (not in the sense of picking up sound, but in the sense of
noticing patterns) is primary for a conductor. Jenn may have many
*techniques*, but these techniques are all informed by, and exist in
the service of, her careful listening to sound.

As is the case for the recording engineer.

Any musician could
tell you that the ability to listen is primary.

As can any audiophile..........

This is something
often misunderstood by non-musicians: that musicians develop certain
techniques which they simply repeat. Actually everything a musician
does is informed by hearing in the moment.

Hearing is also primary to the recording engineer. The recording
engineer has much technique, but it is all informed by his hearing in
the moment--his ability to hear and respond to what he hears.

So why do you claim that he is inferior to the conductor?

As I said above, the qualities of details are inseperable from the
meaning of the music. So you cannot make a hard distinction between
the recording engineer's job and the musician's job. Given a choice of
two recordings A and B, the recording engineer may find A to be closer
to life, while Jenn may find B to be closer to her musical
intentions. The perspective of the recording engineer may match yours,
but almost surely Jenn's perspective better matches what I listen for
in a recording.

That is a baseless claim.

It is your mistaken assumption that the sound qualities are separate
from the musical meaning.

It is your mistaken assumption that they are not.

Someone operating under the level transfer fallacy thinks that
a pattern merely needs to be above the threshold of hearing to be
perceivable.

It must be nice to be able to assign failure on the basis of a
terminology you just made up.

Later, someone (I think Mark DeBellis) wrote:

But there is training and there is training. There are lots of
different things on which one can focus attention, and some are more
musically significant than others. I'd be inclined to give a lot of
weight (at least initially) to Jenn's sense of what to listen *for*.

Stewart replied:

I wouldn't, as she's listening for faults in the *performance*, not
in the sound quality per se. I'm not saying that she isn't well
trained and a good listener, just that her specific training gives
her no special advantage in terms of live vs recorded sound.

Again Stewart is implying her level of perception is not useful in
discriminating live and recorded sound.. very telling that he uses the
word "sound" and not "music," because again he is working on just the
lowest level. The level transfer fallacy and the subjective
composition fallacy is what leads Stewart to think that this level is
more fundamental.

You are making assumptions here which have no basis in reality. The
recorded sound is *more* than the music, not less. It includes hall
ambience, audience noise, all the subtle cues that divide the original
performance from the recording. I suggest that it's Jenn who is
operating on the simpler level here.............

Very telling that you include among your list of extra-musical things
"the hall ambience." You have no understanding whatsoever of how hall
ambience works together with tempo, articulation, and balance to
convey the musical intention.

That is a baseless claim, and also quite wrong. I am very well aware
of how hall ambience affects musical expression - a typical Mozart
piece would sound quite dreadful in a cathedral (I've heard it
tried!), while Gregorian chant would sound quite lifeless in
Birmingham Symphony Hall (England, not Alabama!).

Also, you have habits of language which keep leading you astray.

Not so far astray as you are led by all your over-complicated and
quite wrong-headed assumptions.

You
mention the "recorded sound has more than the music.." In comparing
"more, less, higher level, lower level" I'm not
talking about the signal on the recording. I'm talking about what is
in the minds of the conductor and the recording engineer, what is
inside their subjective experiences. They certainly have different
things in mind, and Jenn almost certainly has a higher-level
perspective on how the details work together to make the music.

She does not however have any knowledge of how best to convey that
musical gestalt to a pair of loudspeakers in a domestic listening
room. The recording engineer does - indeed that's the core of his
skill set.

There is no comparison between how listening to music develops your
ear, and how participating in music-making develops your ear.

There is some truth in that, but that does not support your argument
that the conductor is better placed to judge the realism of a
reproduced piece of music.

Music is Art - Audio is Engineering

I see now how your belief that "audio is engineering" has led you to
create an artificial separation between the listening skills of the
conductor and the listening skills of the recording engineer.

One of your many problems is that you seem to lack the intellectual
rigour to understand that this separation is *not* artificial, it is
entirely natural and logical, and the skills are *complementary*, not
competitive. Incidentally, the term 'audio' is generally held to refer
to the playback end of the reproduction chain, rather than the
production of the master tape. Most audiophiles would consider the
mixdown master to be the last part of the *original performance*,
rather than part of the 'audio' chain. As such, your comments above
are not only wrong, but irrelevant.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 5 Jul 2005 23:37:21 GMT, Billy Shears wrote:

In article ,
Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

[...]

That depends on the bandwidth of the original signal.

Stewart Pinkerton

Ed Seedhouse wrote:

[...]

Mr Wheeler, as ever, is both grasping at semantic straws and failing
to understand the physics of the situation. *Every* signal has a noise
floor, so it is impossible for the amplitude of *any* signal to be
quoted exactly. Given this, we can certainly say that a digitised
signal of *any* bit depth is capable of capturing the signal *exactly*
to the limit of the uncertainty of the noise floor. The same is of
course most certainly *not* true of any analogue recording system.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 5 Jul 2005 23:39:10 GMT, Billy Shears wrote:

In article ,
Chung wrote:

Billy Shears wrote:
In article ,
Marc Foster wrote:

[...]

Wrong again. Within the basic physical uncertainty provided by the
noise floor, the output certainly can match the filtered input
exactly.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 6 Jul 2005 03:01:14 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

"Chung" wrote in message
By the way, magnetic particles are discrete, and not continuous, as you
expect "analog" to be.

Actually, you have an interesting point there. But of course,
direct-to-disc have always been considered theoretically ideal, specifically
in the sense that the extra medium is eliminated.

What is so magical about keeping things in the analog domain?

What makes you think digital gives us a perfect recreation of the original
musical event?

No one thinks this. However, it is both theoretically *capable* of
perfect reproduction, and practically capable of near-perfection *far*
beyond the capability of *any* all-analogue system.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 5 Jul 2005 23:40:01 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

"Chung" wrote in message

Excuse me? That's a non-sequitur, and you're just looking for monsters
under the bed. Any rational person could deduce from my post that I
meant CD undergoes a transformation from analog to digital back to
analog, therefore it's not pure analog, whereas lots of good vinyl is.
What on earth could you possibly have thought I meant by "pure"?

And, pray tell, what is "pure" in the vinyl process? Let's examine the
signal chain and the many transformations that take place:

1. Sound waves picked up by microphones. This is a transformation from
mechanical energy to electrical energy. Frequency response errors,
distortion and noise are added.

Pure analog.

Only in the same sense that a digital signal is an analogue of the
input signal. Otherwise, it's exactly the kind of transformation of
form that you are claiming to be an inherent 'flaw' of dihgital. The
main difference is that in this case, it's a transformation with many
inherent errors and nonlinearities, which digital is not.

2. Microphone outputs are processed by mixers, equalizers and
compressors. Frequency response errors, distortion and noise are added.

Pure analog.

I'll accept that this one shouldn't have been included by Chung, as
the signal remains in 'analogue' electrical form

3. Output is stored on analog magnetic tape.

Pure analog.

Absolutely not! You reveal your ignorance of both digital *and*
analogue processes yet again. So-called 'analogue' magnetic recording
does in fact rely on the polarisation of a finite number of magnetic
domains, and is as close to digital sampling as it gets.

I'm gonna cut you off right there.

I suggest that you cut yourself off, and do some serious reading,
before making such ridiculous claims about 'purity' in the
reproduction chain.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 5 Jul 2005 16:42:01 GMT, wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 5 Jul 2005 01:59:30 GMT,
wrote:

Ed Seedhouse wrote:
On 4 Jul 2005 18:52:01 GMT,
wrote:

I don't know about the ratios but if you want a list of things Stewart
said that are factually wrong just in this thread.

1."The reconstruction filter ensures that the output is a smooth curve,
following the original bandwidth-limited input signal *exactly*, not
approximately." Fact is it can never be "exact."

Fact is it can, and must be given the stated conditions.

No it can't. So long as you are dealing with 16 bits the amplitude is
not going to be *exact*

No mention was made of bit depth in Jeffc's original claims, he merely
talked about 'digital'.

Thanks for the irrelevant comment.

It is in fact *exactly* relevant to the original claim.

However, given proper dithering, then a 16-bit system most certainly
*is* exact, within the inevitable mathematical uncertainty given by
the system noise floor.

Now that is funny. It is exact within it's own inexactness IOW.

As is everything in the known Universe.

Yeah
that's fine, it also is not what you said is it?

Since I live in the real world, yes it is.

It also doesn't refute
my basic claim that it is not *exact.* *I* made no such qualifications
in my claim did I?

You did however fail to understand the physics of the situation, as
usual.

This uncertainty applies to *any* linear
system with the same noise floor, whether analogue or digital.

Mr. Wheeler is
not arguing with engineering or physics here, he is arguing with
mathematics.

Yeah right. Please show me the math that supports the crazy idea that
16 bits can *exactly* match evey possible amplitude of a an audio
signal. Good luck.

See above.

Above sems to support my claim. You had to qualify "exact" as not
really exact. Thanks for confirming my claim. Ironic isn't it?

What's ironic is your persistent preference for semantics over
reality.

He might as well claim that the square root of two is the
ratio of two integers.

me thinks th math supports me not you.

That's because your thinking is wrong............

No, you had to qualify a very simple well understood word, exact, to
make your point. Maybe *you* should choose your words more carefully.
But thanks for demonstrating that my thinking was actually right. That
leaves your original claim where?

I'm not the one who made the original (wrong) claim. Pay attention at
the back!