Fool4vb

Default higher output alternator cause problems?

I read somewhere (I start all my posts with this it seems)
that one must be careful when putting in an alternator with
a higher output than stock because the electrical/computer
system is dependent on a certain output. How true is this?
How do I find out if my car can utilize a higher amperage
alternator?

Joel

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"Fool4vb" wrote:

I read somewhere (I start all my posts with this it seems)
that one must be careful when putting in an alternator with
a higher output than stock because the electrical/computer
system is dependent on a certain output. How true is this?
How do I find out if my car can utilize a higher amperage
alternator?

Joel

Some high efficiency cars, like Hondas, modify and monitor the
alternator voltage from the ECU. The ECU will unhappy if you put in a
generic alternator.

Other than that, it doesn't matter how much extra current there is as
long as the voltage is correct.