Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] joshua.nathan@gmail.com is offline

Default Old receiver, new(ish) subwoofer

I have an old (70's) Marantz receiver with A & B 2 channel stereo. I
also have a few-years old Pioneer powered subwoofer that only has a
line level input.

I'm not sure if I can use this sub with the Marantz. Any suggestions
on hooking it up? I would like to set up as 2.1 or 4.1.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
joshnat joshnat is offline

Thanks for the response. This is the Marantz I've got:
http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2215.html

It doesn't seem to have pre-amp outputs. I could sum the B outputs to
mono and send them to the sub, but the sub has only a line input.
Since the receiver would be sending an amplified signal and the powered
sub would be amplifying the already-amplified signal, won't this be a
problem?

Josh
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
wrote:
I have an old (70's) Marantz receiver with A & B 2 channel stereo. I
also have a few-years old Pioneer powered subwoofer that only has a
line level input.

I'm not sure if I can use this sub with the Marantz. Any suggestions
on hooking it up? I would like to set up as 2.1 or 4.1.

Thanks!

Not an ideal situation. Many Marantz models had pre-amp outputs - if the
Pioneer has stereo (L, R) inputs you can just use those. You may need to use
stereo splitters to get the signal out, them back into the Marantz. If it's
a single input on the sub you could just use one channel of the pre-out, but
you'll lose some bass content on at least a few albums. Not all are summed,
despite what we are told.
Or you could use a summing network of resistors to provide a mono output
from the Marantz main amp output. 10K resistors would probably be a good
place to start.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article . com, "joshnat" wrote:
Thanks for the response. This is the Marantz I've got:
http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2215.html

It doesn't seem to have pre-amp outputs. I could sum the B outputs to
mono and send them to the sub, but the sub has only a line input.
Since the receiver would be sending an amplified signal and the powered
sub would be amplifying the already-amplified signal, won't this be a
problem?

You may be able to use it like that, allthough summing channels is not
really necessary for bass below 70 Hz, and you can extend that up a bit.
The sell power to line level adaptors in car audio shops, allthough you can make
one with a few resistors.

greg

Jos
Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
joshnat joshnat is offline

OK, I'm considering making a summing mono circuit and a line level
output circuit to get from the receiver to the sub. It looks easy and
the resistors are cheap. What order should I put them in? Should I
have the mono conversion first out of the reciever, then convert to
line output? Or should I convert to line first, then sum the signals
before they go into the sub?

Thanks again!

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

joshnat wrote:
OK, I'm considering making a summing mono circuit and a line level
output circuit to get from the receiver to the sub. It looks easy and
the resistors are cheap. What order should I put them in? Should I
have the mono conversion first out of the reciever, then convert to
line output? Or should I convert to line first, then sum the signals
before they go into the sub?

You must reduce the level before summing. The amplifier won't like it's
outputs being tied together unless a proper degree of isolation is the
first thing in the circuit.

jak

Thanks again!

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article . com, "joshnat" wrote:
OK, I'm considering making a summing mono circuit and a line level
output circuit to get from the receiver to the sub. It looks easy and
the resistors are cheap. What order should I put them in? Should I
have the mono conversion first out of the reciever, then convert to
line output? Or should I convert to line first, then sum the signals
before they go into the sub?

I think summing bass to mono is silly but here goes. Use a 10K resistor from each channel and combine them
on the end. At the summing junction, tie a 1 K resistor or therabouts, to common. The summing junction will go
to the sub. The amplifier amplifies line level to roughly 10 times if full volume were used. I
can't say the range of the sub level control, but I assume there is a level
control.

greg

Thanks again!
GregS wrote:
In article . com, "joshnat"

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

joshnat wrote:
Thanks for the response. This is the Marantz I've got:
http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2215.html

It doesn't seem to have pre-amp outputs. I could sum the B outputs to
mono and send them to the sub, but the sub has only a line input.
Since the receiver would be sending an amplified signal and the
powered sub would be amplifying the already-amplified signal, won't
this be a problem?

Josh

Not really, maybe wouldn't hurt to pad it a bit though. I assume the Pioneer
sub has a level control.

Mark Z.

Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 09:45 AM
Subwoofer hum: is it my receiver? Brian General 15 February 20th 04 10:11 PM
Subwoofer hum: is it my receiver? Brian Audio Opinions 15 February 20th 04 10:11 PM
Subwoofer hum: is it my receiver? Brian Tech 60 February 20th 04 10:11 PM
Main speakers with builtin subwoofer - How to configure receiver? Michael Harder Audio Opinions 0 October 29th 03 12:18 AM