Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Default 24 bit audio over USB

Hi,

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both directions.

I believe that Windows already has a 16bit driver for this but I want 24bit.
Does this mean one has to write one's own ? It's slightly outside my area of
expertise. I'd aslo be interested in how Macs support this function.

Any general advice about implementing this, recommended chips etc is very
welcome. The quality needs to be high-end / professional rather than consumer
btw which I suspect means using separate A/D and D/As.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Robert Morein

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both directions.

I believe that Windows already has a 16bit driver for this but I want
24bit.
Does this mean one has to write one's own ? It's slightly outside my area
of
expertise. I'd aslo be interested in how Macs support this function.

Any general advice about implementing this, recommended chips etc is very
welcome. The quality needs to be high-end / professional rather than
consumer
btw which I suspect means using separate A/D and D/As.

Graham

A general purpose ASIO driver does exist.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Genome

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both directions.

I believe that Windows already has a 16bit driver for this but I want
24bit.
Does this mean one has to write one's own ? It's slightly outside my area
of
expertise. I'd aslo be interested in how Macs support this function.

Any general advice about implementing this, recommended chips etc is very
welcome. The quality needs to be high-end / professional rather than
consumer
btw which I suspect means using separate A/D and D/As.

Graham

Have you been abducted as well?

"Hi there"

******** more like.

No you don't..... you design power supplies without inductors but you might
be snouting about for some new development that says you can do RAVE(?) over
USB.

DNA

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 21:05:01 +0100, Pooh Bear
wrote:

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both directions.

I believe that Windows already has a 16bit driver for this but I want 24bit.
Does this mean one has to write one's own ? It's slightly outside my area of
expertise. I'd aslo be interested in how Macs support this function.

Any general advice about implementing this, recommended chips etc is very
welcome. The quality needs to be high-end / professional rather than consumer
btw which I suspect means using separate A/D and D/As.

There's no shortage of affordable boxes that do this. Do you need to
re-invent it? I suppose you could take one apart and see what's in
it.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

wrote:

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both directions.

I believe that Windows already has a 16bit driver for this but I want 24bit.
Does this mean one has to write one's own ? It's slightly outside my area of
expertise. I'd aslo be interested in how Macs support this function.

Any general advice about implementing this, recommended chips etc is very
welcome. The quality needs to be high-end / professional rather than consumer
btw which I suspect means using separate A/D and D/As.

There's no shortage of affordable boxes that do this. Do you need to
re-invent it?

If one followed that line of thought I wouldn't design anything would I ? Besides,
no-one's done what I'm planing to offer. The USB interface is actually very much
an add-on extra to something else.

I suppose you could take one apart and see what's in it.

That's not really the way I normally do things. Beside, I don't want to
necessarily use what was possibly state of the art when they were designed maybe
several years back when better may be available.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Genome wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
[...]

What on earth is the matter with you ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Look at Ogg Vorbis. If it doesn't handle what you want now, I understand
that its modular and easily extensible.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Life is like a buffet. Its not very good but there's plenty of it.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

Look at Ogg Vorbis. If it doesn't handle what you want now, I understand
that its modular and easily extensible.

Don't want to use a compressed format. It would compromise the rest of the
product.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
martin griffith

wrote:

[...]

Have a word with FTDI http://www.ftdichip.com/ they might be able to
pint you somewhere suitable

martin

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Genome

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

What on earth is the matter with you ?

Graham

Hey, I care.....

You spend most of your time being really pally around here and some of it
taking the **** out of us dumb people...... and designing power supplies
without inductors in them.

Then you come along with....

'Hi'

Like some nube would.. as if you would pretend to be one?

And ask for advice.

This does not work so I thought you might have been abducted.

Note to abductors... This one isn't worth frying so it will cost you more to
keep it alive than it's worth paying for it.

Thanks

DNA

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Matt Ion

Pooh Bear wrote:

lid wrote:

In sci.electronics.design Pooh Bear wrote:

Hi,

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both directions.

I believe that Windows already has a 16bit driver for this but I want 24bit.
Does this mean one has to write one's own ? It's slightly outside my area of
expertise. I'd aslo be interested in how Macs support this function.

Any general advice about implementing this, recommended chips etc is very
welcome. The quality needs to be high-end / professional rather than consumer
btw which I suspect means using separate A/D and D/As.

Why USB ..?

Because it's available on almost every PC these days. If I was looking at multichannel
obviously firewire would make sense.

Not really. USB 2.0 spec is 480Mbps, vs. 400 for standard firewire.
Either should have plenty of bandwidth for a ton of audio channels (we
used to run uncompressed component video - three video streams - to
firewire drives on video-capture stations, so a couple dozen audio
streams should be no problem).

"Bitness" of a Windows USB driver has no relation to how many bits
you're sampling audio at anyway. My "old" USB-interface Soundblaster
Extigy supports up to 96kbit sample rates at 32-bit sample depths, and
it works fine on a USB 1.1 connection (96k/32-bit stereo audio is only a
little over 6 megabits per second, well within USB 1.1's 12Mbit bandwidth).

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Matt Ion

Pooh Bear wrote:

Genome wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

[...]

Peppermint Schnapps hangover, I'm guessing...
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Genome spake thus:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

What on earth is the matter with you ?

Hey, I care.....

You spend most of your time being really pally around here and some of it
taking the **** out of us dumb people...... and designing power supplies
without inductors in them.

Then you come along with....

'Hi'

Like some nube would.. as if you would pretend to be one?

And ask for advice.

This does not work so I thought you might have been abducted.

Hey, where do you think "experts" go for help? Sometimes experts need
advice from even bigger experts.

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Robert Morein

"Genome" wrote in message

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

What on earth is the matter with you ?

Graham

Hey, I care.....

You spend most of your time being really pally around here and some of it
taking the **** out of us dumb people...... and designing power supplies
without inductors in them.

Then you come along with....

'Hi'

Like some nube would.. as if you would pretend to be one?

And ask for advice.

This does not work so I thought you might have been abducted.

I agree. There actually is something out there, but I'm not inclined to help
Graham find it.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Genome

Yes, but you quote things and I have a bandwidth problem.

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
news
I agree. There actually is something out there, but I'm
not inclined to help Graham find it.

You're really a small man, aren't you Morein?

Tiny.

Tiny, tiny, tiny.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"Pooh Bear" wrote
in message

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both directions.

One means for doing this is the network device model. There are a number of
devices that implement a peer network between two computers over a USB
interface. You can move just about any kind of data there is over a peer
network.

Shift gears to Firewire, and Windows has the required driver built in.

I believe that Windows already has a 16bit driver for this but I want
24bit.

There are a goodly number of 24 bit audio devices that run on USB. AFAIK
they all have to provide their own driver.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Pooh Bear wrote:

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

Look at Ogg Vorbis. If it doesn't handle what you want now, I understand
that its modular and easily extensible.

Don't want to use a compressed format. It would compromise the rest of the
product.

Then don't. Or use lossles compression. The protocols are extensible.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Yeah, but you're taking the universe out of context.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Genome spake thus:

Yes, but you quote things and I have a bandwidth problem.

Still using that 2400 baud modem, are you?

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary
and analysis of the Philippine-American War. And vice-versa.
This is an inviolable rule.

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Romeo Rondeau

What on earth is the matter with you ?

Peppermint Schnapps hangover, I'm guessing...

Heh... chick drink :-)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 23:07:46 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Genome spake thus:

Yes, but you quote things and I have a bandwidth problem.

Still using that 2400 baud modem, are you?

Making people wade through twenty pages of irrelevent material just
to get to your two clever lines is obnoxious.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Scott Dorsey

Pooh Bear wrote:
I suppose you could take one apart and see what's in it.

That's not really the way I normally do things. Beside, I don't want to
necessarily use what was possibly state of the art when they were designed maybe
several years back when better may be available.

You should. Because basically there are only a couple USB chipsets out
there, which everybody is using. Pick the USB chipset that you see in
a typical product, THEN use their driver. In all probability, the driver
is going to be provided by the chip manufacturer anyway and they should
have full driver source available on their web site.

For Firewire, most folks are using the TI GPLynx2 chipset. For USB 1.0,
the popular ones were the TI USB3200 and TAS1020B. I don't know who is
making the USB 2.0 audio chipset of highest popularity today.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Pooh Bear wrote:
I suppose you could take one apart and see what's in it.

That's not really the way I normally do things. Beside, I don't want to
necessarily use what was possibly state of the art when they were designed maybe
several years back when better may be available.

You should. Because basically there are only a couple USB chipsets out
there, which everybody is using. Pick the USB chipset that you see in
a typical product, THEN use their driver.

It may come to that. I'm finding it tricky to locate much info on the subject.

In all probability, the driver
is going to be provided by the chip manufacturer anyway and they should
have full driver source available on their web site.

For Firewire, most folks are using the TI GPLynx2 chipset. For USB 1.0,
the popular ones were the TI USB3200 and TAS1020B.

For 24 bit ? I recall speaking to TI and they said their stuff was only designed for
16.

I don't know who is making the USB 2.0 audio chipset of highest popularity today.

If anyone *does* know !

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Pooh Bear" wrote ...
Scott Dorsey wrote:
For Firewire, most folks are using the TI GPLynx2 chipset.
For USB 1.0, the popular ones were the TI USB3200 and
TAS1020B.

For 24 bit ? I recall speaking to TI and they said their stuff
was only designed for 16.

All modern computer equipment is designed for 8 or 16 or 32 bit.
It is the firmware/software that decides how to handle 24 bit data
in the conventional 16-bit world.

I don't know who is making the USB 2.0 audio chipset of
highest popularity today.

If anyone *does* know !

Clearly the people making the equipment know.
My own employer may be the primary vendor for all
I know.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both directions.

I believe that Windows already has a 16bit driver for this but I want
24bit.
Does this mean one has to write one's own ? It's slightly outside my area
of
expertise. I'd aslo be interested in how Macs support this function.

Any general advice about implementing this, recommended chips etc is very
welcome. The quality needs to be high-end / professional rather than
consumer
btw which I suspect means using separate A/D and D/As.

I personally have a sound card with optical digital inputs and outputs and
leave the A/D and D/A to my audio gear. You can find USB sound cards with
digital audio inputs and outputs (both optical type SPDIF and RCA type
TOSLINK).

For A/D and D/A I'm using a Sony minidisc deck. If you hit record when
there isn't a MD in the deck, it does both A/D and D/A conversion. The
input button lets you switch between the analog and digital inputs. Of
course, you can buy external A/D and D/A converters, or use the ones that
exist on many modern amp/receiver/surround sound systems.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote ...
Scott Dorsey wrote:
For Firewire, most folks are using the TI GPLynx2 chipset.
For USB 1.0, the popular ones were the TI USB3200 and
TAS1020B.

For 24 bit ? I recall speaking to TI and they said their stuff
was only designed for 16.

All modern computer equipment is designed for 8 or 16 or 32 bit.
It is the firmware/software that decides how to handle 24 bit data
in the conventional 16-bit world.

A dedicated USB audio chipset *does* make the distinction though.

Grahan

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Jeff Findley wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
[...]

I'm effectivly *designing* a sound card - not in the market to buy one.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
I'm effectivly *designing* a sound card - not in the market to buy one.

I know, but I fail to see the point when there are many affordable USB sound
cards with digital audio inputs and outputs. Plus, I prefer optical digital
connections to keep the electrically noisy PC completely electrically
isolated from my audio equipment.

If I were you I'd concentrate on the high end A/D and D/A parts of the
circuit and use an existing USB sound card with digital inputs and outputs
to drive it.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Pooh Bear skrev:

Jeff Findley wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
[...]

how about getting one of these for inspiration?:
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/audiophile-usb.html

-Lasse

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Jeff Findley wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
I'm effectivly *designing* a sound card - not in the market to buy one.

I know, but I fail to see the point when there are many affordable USB sound
cards with digital audio inputs and outputs.

I'm not making one of those am I ?

Plus, I prefer optical digital connections to keep the electrically noisy PC
completely electrically
isolated from my audio equipment.

Quite sensible.

If I were you I'd concentrate on the high end A/D and D/A parts of the
circuit and use an existing USB sound card with digital inputs and outputs
to drive it.

That won't fit my target market. Also is a clumsy implementation.

I do wish ppl wouldn't keep saying don't bother, use something else btw. I don't
want to give away my 'secrets' but all I want is a USB audio interface to
incorporate in something else.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Pooh Bear spake thus:

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both directions.

[snip]

Amazing. Just ****ing amazing.

34 replies to your question, by my count on my ISP's view of the group,
and *not one useful answer to your question*. (Including my two, make
that three, posts, I'm sorry to say.) Lots of people saying "**** that,
won't work", or "why bother?" and other useful tidbits.

Ain't Usenet wonderful?

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary
and analysis of the Philippine-American War. And vice-versa.
This is an inviolable rule.

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Rich Grise

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:28:32 +0100, Pooh Bear wrote:

Jeff Findley wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
I'm effectivly *designing* a sound card - not in the market to buy one.

I know, but I fail to see the point when there are many affordable USB sound
cards with digital audio inputs and outputs.

I'm not making one of those am I ?

Plus, I prefer optical digital connections to keep the electrically noisy PC
completely electrically
isolated from my audio equipment.

Quite sensible.

If I were you I'd concentrate on the high end A/D and D/A parts of the
circuit and use an existing USB sound card with digital inputs and outputs
to drive it.

That won't fit my target market. Also is a clumsy implementation.

I do wish ppl wouldn't keep saying don't bother, use something else btw. I don't
want to give away my 'secrets' but all I want is a USB audio interface to
incorporate in something else.

It sounds to me like that's exactly what people are suggesting - if a "USB
sound card" isn't a "USB audio interface", I don't konw what is.

Or are you looking for a one-chip thing, to embed? If so, you should know
by now that you should have already said so./snotty pedagogue

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Rich Grise

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:02:50 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Pooh Bear spake thus:

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both directions.

[snip]

Amazing. Just ****ing amazing.

34 replies to your question, by my count on my ISP's view of the group,
and *not one useful answer to your question*. (Including my two, make
that three, posts, I'm sorry to say.) Lots of people saying "**** that,
won't work", or "why bother?" and other useful tidbits.

Ain't Usenet wonderful?

A lot of the answers looked to me like "Why design and build, when you
can buy cheaper?"

If that's not good enough, then we need a more comprehensive system
specification.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Robert Morein

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:02:50 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Pooh Bear spake thus:

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both directions.

[snip]

Amazing. Just ****ing amazing.

34 replies to your question, by my count on my ISP's view of the group,
and *not one useful answer to your question*. (Including my two, make
that three, posts, I'm sorry to say.) Lots of people saying "**** that,
won't work", or "why bother?" and other useful tidbits.

Ain't Usenet wonderful?

A lot of the answers looked to me like "Why design and build, when you
can buy cheaper?"

If that's not good enough, then we need a more comprehensive system
specification.

It's a crowded market. I don't know what Graham is trying to prove.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Rich Grise wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:02:50 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Pooh Bear spake thus:

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both directions.

[snip]

Amazing. Just ****ing amazing.

34 replies to your question, by my count on my ISP's view of the group,
and *not one useful answer to your question*. (Including my two, make
that three, posts, I'm sorry to say.) Lots of people saying "**** that,
won't work", or "why bother?" and other useful tidbits.

Ain't Usenet wonderful?

A lot of the answers looked to me like "Why design and build, when you
can buy cheaper?"

If that's not good enough, then we need a more comprehensive system
specification.

Ok. I need an *embedded* USB audio interface. To repeat ; a chip or chipset.

Is that OK ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Robert Morein wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:02:50 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Pooh Bear spake thus:

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both directions.

[snip]

Amazing. Just ****ing amazing.

34 replies to your question, by my count on my ISP's view of the group,
and *not one useful answer to your question*. (Including my two, make
that three, posts, I'm sorry to say.) Lots of people saying "**** that,
won't work", or "why bother?" and other useful tidbits.

Ain't Usenet wonderful?

A lot of the answers looked to me like "Why design and build, when you
can buy cheaper?"

If that's not good enough, then we need a more comprehensive system
specification.

It's a crowded market. I don't know what Graham is trying to prove.

I'm not trying to prove *anything* ! I want a solution for a product. You can
buy analogue audio mixers these days with USB and Firewire interfaces for
example. This is kind of thing I'm talking about.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Michael A. Terrell

martin griffith wrote:

Have a word with FTDI http://www.ftdichip.com/ they might be able to
pint you somewhere suitable

Pint? I thought you used liters? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Meindert Sprang

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
I'm not trying to prove *anything* ! I want a solution for a product. You

can
buy analogue audio mixers these days with USB and Firewire interfaces for
example. This is kind of thing I'm talking about.

I did some searching and found this from M-Audio:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

The Codec used in this unit is the following:
http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/...84/ak4584.html

Which implies that some other chip is still needed to format the data and
transfer it over USB.

Meindert

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"Pooh Bear" wrote
in message
Hi,

I'm interested in passing stereo audio over USB in both
directions.

I believe that Windows already has a 16bit driver for
this but I want 24bit. Does this mean one has to write
one's own ? It's slightly outside my area of expertise.
I'd aslo be interested in how Macs support this function.

Any general advice about implementing this, recommended
chips etc is very welcome. The quality needs to be
high-end / professional rather than consumer btw which I
suspect means using separate A/D and D/As.

This seems to be a single-channel implementation of what you're looking for.
It might not be rediculous to build two.

http://hans-w.com/usb_adc1.htm