Gary Bishop

Default Most explosive home theatre setup?

Robert Morein

"Gary Bishop" wrote in message

I have one helluva setup: big speakers, big amps, small room, sub in a
closet equalized to 20 Hz.

It's not hard to achieve.

Gary Bishop

Default Most explosive home theatre setup? - europa.jpg (0/1)

"Gay Bishop" wrote in message
.. .

I have one helluva setup: big speakers, big amps, small room, sub in a
closet equalized to 20 Hz.

It's not hard to achieve.

Are these any good?
trotsky

Anything at Arny's house.

Robert Morein

"Gary Bishop" wrote in message

"Gay Bishop" wrote in message
.. .

I have one helluva setup: big speakers, big amps, small room, sub in a
closet equalized to 20 Hz.

It's not hard to achieve.

Are these any good?

Explosive home theater can be achieved with high quality components. Most,
but not all, hifi speakers are capable of delivering high sound levels
without compromise of low level detail. Exceptions would be flat panel
speakers, and speakers with first order crossovers. Dunlavys and JM Labs,
both extraordinary speakers, have this type of crossover. I do not know for
a fact that they are incapable of high sound levels, but it would follow
from the design.

To be "explosive" means that high sound levels can be reached, combined with
either flat or accentuated low frequency response. Satellite systems, which
consist of small speakers combined with a sub, should be avoided.
Bookshelves with woofers of 8" and larger are fairly capable. However, the
best results are obtained with full size, floorstanding speakers, plus a
sub.

Subwoofers have in the past, and continue to some extent to emphasize
apparent bass by trickly manipulation, or sheer neglect of the response
curve. If you want really impactful sound, you must gain control over the
bass response, which means choice of a sub with some capability for
equalization, or an external equalizer. Subs vary greatly in effectiveness
depending upon room placement. Personally, I favor corner placement,
combined with equalization, which produces a situation where a small
amplifier can be used, with the least stress to the subwoofer. Others may
have other opinions, based upon the the theory of standing waves and modal
response. What I do works for me.

Besides "explosiveness", other characteristics come into play. Audibility,
general clarity, and ambience are IMHO more important than sound levels.
These goals require that each speaker in the system be a low distortion
product.

Speakers from the same manufacturer, which have been matched for midrange
and are marketed as complimentary, will provide a seamless sound field. But
if you have the opportunity to test different pieces together, you may find
unusual matches that work just fine. For example, my HT system consists of
the following:

Kef Reference III main front
MB Quart center
NHT 1a main rear
Radio Shack LX77 Linaeum: Front effects & supplementary rears
NHT 12" driver in homemade enclosure/ 150 watt Yamaha professional amp

The system blends very well, is very flat, and provides delightful clarity,
ambience, and dynamic impact

The Stainless Steel Boob Orchestra

Default Most explosive home theatre setup? - europa.jpg (1/1)

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 23:15:51 +0000, Gary Bishop
wrote:

LOL!!!!!

--
td
Jason McBrien

Gary Bishop wrote in message . ..

The big Cello setup was something else. The front channels had
something like 15 drivers, the surrounds had 9 drivers *each* These
guys could push out some SPL. Nowadays a couple of Wilson X-1's paired
with an XS sub, or a JBL Synthesis system would be farily dynamic

http://www.matthew-james.net/reflections_6.cfm