Octavarium

Default Neumann TLM 170

Hi, new to the group.

I have a TLM 170, about 15 years old, needs some cleaning up, but it
works.

Anyone have an idea what this is worth?

Thanks.

John L Rice

"Octavarium" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, new to the group.

I have a TLM 170, about 15 years old, needs some cleaning up, but it
works.

Anyone have an idea what this is worth?

Thanks.

Brand new without shock mount is around $3200, street around $2500, a well
worn one recent went for $925 on Ebay ( a pretty good deal for the buyer I'd
say )

--
John L Rice

David Satz

Octavarium wrote:
Hi, new to the group.

Welcome. I hope that you're treated well here.

I have a TLM 170, about 15 years old, needs some cleaning up,
but it works.

Anyone have an idea what this is worth?

The ones I bought used, I paid $1200 - $1400; they needed cleaning
and deodorizing (had been used in a very smoky Tel Aviv studio).

If you are selling them, note that there have been two models:
the original TLM 170 and the later TLM 170 R; the later model
has the built-in capability for remote pattern switching via a
special Neumann power supply that almost nobody has. The earlier
one could, at least in the beginning, have a module added to it
for this capability.

The later model (TLM 170R) has a red "ribbon" (label strip)
around the base, with the model designation printed on it; in
the original model TLM 170 this ribbon is black. Likewise the
label in the pattern switch. Oddly, some of these microphones
have a purple Neumann logo while others have red and it doesn't
seem to line up with the "R"-ness of the microphone or not
(there are red-logo TLM 170s with black ribbons, for example).

Internally there are differences as well--the original model
was built with discrete circuitry while the new one (post-1993)
is IC-based, but apart from the remote pattern control, the
specifications and sound are the same.

--best regards

Scott Dorsey

Octavarium wrote:
Hi, new to the group.

I have a TLM 170, about 15 years old, needs some cleaning up, but it
works.

Anyone have an idea what this is worth?

Probably somewhere around half list price.
Geoff Wood

"Octavarium" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, new to the group.

I have a TLM 170, about 15 years old, needs some cleaning up, but it
works.

Anyone have an idea what this is worth?

Dunno the going rate, but I'd clean it up for you for $100 ;-)

geoff