Đavīd

Default 16 ohm speakers

I have a home audio M&K MX-100 amplified subwoofer that has two 12"
speakers. From years of use and abuse, the speakers need replacing.
Upon removing the speakers I noticed it is clearly labeled 16 ohms. I
have looked at what few audio stores in my area for 16 ohm speakers
and everyone I've asked has never heard of 16 ohm speakers. I can
find 8 ohm and 4 ohm speakers.

Does anyone know where I can purchase 16 ohm speakers? -or- Can I
replace the 16 ohm speakers with 8 ohm speakers?

Thanks in advance,
Davīd
Greenville, NC

Cyrus

"Đavīd" wrote:

I have a home audio M&K MX-100 amplified subwoofer that has two 12"
speakers. From years of use and abuse, the speakers need replacing.
Upon removing the speakers I noticed it is clearly labeled 16 ohms. I
have looked at what few audio stores in my area for 16 ohm speakers
and everyone I've asked has never heard of 16 ohm speakers. I can
find 8 ohm and 4 ohm speakers.

Does anyone know where I can purchase 16 ohm speakers?

I know of a couple off the top of my head. AdireAudio.com has the Shiva
and DPL12 that are dual 8ohm coils each, series wired to 16ohm. These
subs may or may not work in your application depending on enclosure
type/size/etc.

-or- Can I replace the 16 ohm speakers with 8 ohm speakers?

Depends on your amp.. how were the two 16ohm subs wired? I'm suspecting
parallel wired to 8ohm rather than series wired 32ohm. If the former,
another idea would be to get two 4ohm subs and series wire them to a
final 8ohm load.

Thanks in advance,
Davīd
Greenville, NC

hth,

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Mark D. Zacharias

"Đavīd" wrote in message
I have a home audio M&K MX-100 amplified subwoofer that has two 12"
speakers. From years of use and abuse, the speakers need replacing. Upon
removing the speakers I noticed it is clearly labeled 16 ohms. I have
looked at what few audio stores in my area for 16 ohm speakers and
everyone I've asked has never heard of 16 ohm speakers. I can find 8 ohm
and 4 ohm speakers.

Does anyone know where I can purchase 16 ohm speakers? -or- Can I replace
the 16 ohm speakers with 8 ohm speakers?

Thanks in advance,
Davīd
Greenville, NC

Try contacting M&K for replacements. 16 ohms used to be fairly common. Two
of them in there suggests they were wired in parallel so as to still provide
an 8 ohm load to the amplifier.

Mark Z.

Đavīd

Mark D. Zacharias wrote...
Try contacting M&K for replacements. 16 ohms used to be fairly
common. Two of them in there suggests they were wired in parallel
so as to still provide an 8 ohm load to the amplifier.

You might be correct about wired parallel. The speakers are in a
push-pull configuration in the cabinet. One speaker fires against the
back of the other speaker.

Davīd
Greenville, NC

Đavīd

Cyrus wrote...
I know of a couple off the top of my head. AdireAudio.com has the
Shiva
and DPL12 that are dual 8ohm coils each, series wired to 16ohm.
These
subs may or may not work in your application depending on enclosure
type/size/etc.
Depends on your amp.. how were the two 16ohm subs wired? I'm
suspecting parallel wired to 8ohm rather than series wired 32ohm.
If the former,
another idea would be to get two 4ohm subs and series wire them to
final 8ohm load.

Given the availability of 8 ohm speakers and my M&K powered
subwoofer cabinet is wired parallel, what would happen if I installed
two 8 ohm speakers in the parallel wired configuration?

Davīd
Greenville, NC

Mark D. Zacharias

Possibly too low an impedance load for the amp. Also, who's to say the
drivers you put in there will be anywhere close to an optimum match for that
box?

Mark Z.

"Đavīd" wrote in message

Cyrus wrote...
I know of a couple off the top of my head. AdireAudio.com has the Shiva
and DPL12 that are dual 8ohm coils each, series wired to 16ohm. These
subs may or may not work in your application depending on enclosure
type/size/etc.
Depends on your amp.. how were the two 16ohm subs wired? I'm suspecting
parallel wired to 8ohm rather than series wired 32ohm. If the former,
another idea would be to get two 4ohm subs and series wire them to a
final 8ohm load.

Given the availability of 8 ohm speakers and my M&K powered subwoofer
cabinet is wired parallel, what would happen if I installed two 8 ohm
speakers in the parallel wired configuration?

Davīd
Greenville, NC

Cyrus

"Đavīd" wrote:

Cyrus wrote...
I know of a couple off the top of my head. AdireAudio.com has the
Shiva
and DPL12 that are dual 8ohm coils each, series wired to 16ohm.
These
subs may or may not work in your application depending on enclosure
type/size/etc.
Depends on your amp.. how were the two 16ohm subs wired? I'm
suspecting parallel wired to 8ohm rather than series wired 32ohm.
If the former,
another idea would be to get two 4ohm subs and series wire them to
final 8ohm load.

Given the availability of 8 ohm speakers and my M&K powered
subwoofer cabinet is wired parallel, what would happen if I installed
two 8 ohm speakers in the parallel wired configuration?

Davīd
Greenville, NC

It will present a 4ohm load to your amp, which may or may not be a good
thing. One could change the wiring.

Check the volume of your cabinet and make sure the drivers will work in
it.