Daniel

Default amplifier section of receiver turning off on its own?

Hi,
I wanted to know if anybody could shed some light to my problem.
I have a Luxman R-115 receiver, bought used about 1 1/2 year ago. When
turning
on it has always turned the tuner section first and a few seconds
later the
amplifier section would come on (I think it uses a relay) and the
output would
begin.
Lately (past 2 weeks) there have been 3 ocassions where the amplifier
section
goes off shortly (5-15 min) after being on. I have to turn it on and
off several
times and wait a few minutes before the amp clicks back on (though the
tuner
section comes on). I can then use it for the listening session without
further problems.

What could be causing the problem? Could it be the relay (if it has
one)?

Any suggestions are extemely appreciated.

Thank you, Daniel
John A. Weeks III

In article , Daniel
wrote:

Lately (past 2 weeks) there have been 3 ocassions where the amplifier
section
goes off shortly (5-15 min) after being on. I have to turn it on and
off several
times and wait a few minutes before the amp clicks back on (though the
tuner
section comes on).

What could be causing the problem? Could it be the relay (if it has
one)?

The amplifier protection circuit is kicking in. There are a number
of possible reasons. One is that you have a problem with your
speakers or speaker wiring. Carefully inspect your speakers for
any changes, and examine the wires looking for shorts or opens.

If it isn't a speaker problem, then something in the amp is
triggering the protection event. It could be thermal (something
getting too hot). That could be due to bad air circulation, dust,
or an electronic component failure. A second event would be DC
voltage on the speaker outputs. This could be due to a bad capacitor,
leaky semiconductor, or the bias adjustment (if it has one) that
needs to be reset. A third event would be high current draw. That
most likely would be due to a semiconductor that is about to blow.

You should have this checked out. If you keep doing your override,
you may blow out something that wouldn't otherwise fail. Or you
can wait for something to blow, and then it would be much easier to
find the root cause (just look for the smoke).

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com