A Audio and hi-fi forum. AudioBanter

Go Back   Home » AudioBanter forum » rec.audio » Pro Audio
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

FM radio antenna height for car... ?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 7th 03, 04:01 PM
NeilH011
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default FM radio antenna height for car... ?

>The height of the stock FM radio antenna on a new car I bought is about 31"
>high. It hits some things that hang from the garage ceiling so I'd love to
>be able to shorten the antenna. I realize that doing so will most likely
>decrease the quality of reception etc. Someone mentioned that if I shorten
>the antenna I would need to keep it at a certain specific length... a
>multiple of something... in order for it to work effectively...? Is this
>true? I was just going to hack off maybe 6"... thus the total height would
>now be 26" as opposed to 31"... but, is there some formula or rule about
>antenna height that I need to pay attention to? I don't mind if I reduce
>the overall effectiveness of the antenna by a little bit. If I cut 20% of
>the length off the antenna, will I simply loose 20% of the antenna's
>effectiveness? Thanks.


If it's a screw-in type why not replace it? You can find aftermarket ones that
are much shorter (right at about a foot long) that have the requisite length
of wire wrapped in a coil around the shorter antenna shaft. I've seen 'em in
different colors too, so you can get a plain black one or a flourescent lime
green one if you want : )

NeilH
Ads
  #2  
Old September 9th 03, 06:52 PM
Scott Dorsey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default FM radio antenna height for car... ?

WideGlide > wrote:
>
>The height of the stock FM radio antenna on a new car I bought is about 31"
>high. It hits some things that hang from the garage ceiling so I'd love to
>be able to shorten the antenna. I realize that doing so will most likely
>decrease the quality of reception etc. Someone mentioned that if I shorten
>the antenna I would need to keep it at a certain specific length... a
>multiple of something... in order for it to work effectively...? Is this
>true? I was just going to hack off maybe 6"... thus the total height would
>now be 26" as opposed to 31"... but, is there some formula or rule about
>antenna height that I need to pay attention to? I don't mind if I reduce
>the overall effectiveness of the antenna by a little bit. If I cut 20% of
>the length off the antenna, will I simply loose 20% of the antenna's
>effectiveness? Thanks.


Most car antennae aren't resonant anyway. They are shorter than a quarter
wave and go into a high-z input rather than have a normal antenna system
where the antenna resonates in the band and feeds a low-Z input.

This is part of why car radio reception is so crappy.

Anyway, you could trim it down. Or you could stop at your local truckstop
and get a wound fibreglass FM antenna that will be shorter AND give you
better reception.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
  #3  
Old September 9th 03, 09:11 PM
dt king
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default FM radio antenna height for car... ?

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
...
> WideGlide > wrote:
> >

> Anyway, you could trim it down. Or you could stop at your local

truckstop
> and get a wound fibreglass FM antenna that will be shorter AND give you
> better reception.


Good chance to pick up a new CB radio, extra large belt buckle, ball cap,
and one of those salted pecan rolls, too.

Love those nut rolls.

dtk

  #4  
Old September 9th 03, 11:47 PM
Kurt Albershardt
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default FM radio antenna height for car... ?

dt king wrote:

> "Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> ...
>
>> WideGlide > wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, you could trim it down. Or you could stop at your local
>> truckstop
>> and get a wound fibreglass FM antenna that will be shorter AND give you
>> better reception.

>
>
> Good chance to pick up a new CB radio, extra large belt buckle, ball cap,
> and one of those salted pecan rolls, too.
>
> Love those nut rolls.



I got a really nice DC microwave (and one for a friend) there a couple
years back. Saved me buying an inverter and kept me 60Hz-free in my
camper. Of course most popup truck campers can't handle the 72A draw
very well, but I've got batteries taking up the space where I left out
propane.



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XM Radio at Home: Where does the antenna go? John Fleming Car Audio 1 May 12th 04 07:16 PM
Car radio -> Computer room John Shepardson Car Audio 5 April 17th 04 06:45 AM
Rear unsupported??? Mounting a DIN radio in a Dodge RAM Phil Price Car Audio 4 January 14th 04 04:56 PM
On a mission : finding a basic radio Olivier General 4 January 4th 04 09:39 PM
Radio reception worse than factory radio, antenna adapter? AC/DCdude17 Car Audio 3 December 24th 03 02:17 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 AudioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.